coco

Chelsea vs Burnley (PL) Mon 22nd Apr 20:00 GMT

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Are you talking about the team who got smashed by Everton, 4 - 0?

Yes, that team will host a game against the team that lost 2-0 to Everton

Edited by Stas1

Very disappointing. How very continental to have 80 percent possession and concede from two set pieces. 

I can't blame Sarri in an attacking sense. I feel like I've watched that same match dozens of times under three managers since Juan Mata and his wand of a left foot was sent to United. They defended narrow, wasted time and made sure Hazard had to beat two each time he got it. That's the poison and Sarriball is no better antidote than plenty of others we've tried. 

I think that's top four done for us now. Sarri I suspect will need to win the Europa League to make the CL and have a job with us next season. Pretty disappointing really we have certainly had any number of chances.

1 minute ago, dansubrosa said:

Are you talking about the team who got smashed by Everton, 4 - 0?

Just now, Zeta said:

Don't forget the team who got smashed 4-0 by Bournemouth and 6-0 by City.

What point are you trying to make?

United 6 defeats in 8 games... Last game being Everton.

1 minute ago, dansubrosa said:

What point are you trying to make?

United 6 defeats in 8 games... Last game being Everton.

What point were you trying to make, quoting their 0-4 defeat as a reason they won't thrash us, when we've had worse thrashings than them this season? 

1 minute ago, Stas1 said:

Yeah, but Man Utd have lost six games in the last 8 games. I really doubt they will rip us apart.

Just now, Zeta said:

What point were you trying to make, quoting their 0-4 defeat as a reason they won't thrash us, when we've had worse thrashings than them this season? 

Yeah, and you referencing to a couple of games that happened a few months ago? The wheels are coming off at United currently, we just happened to face them at a very good time.

3 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Yeah, and you referencing to a couple of games that happened a few months ago? The wheels are coming off at United currently, we just happened to face them at a very good time.

Wheels are coming away, but I sense it's a motivation thing for them. No lack of motivation against us though.

Posted (edited)

We pissed that opportunity away with sloppy defending. I thought we were very good for large parts of the first half but were extremely unlucky with CHO and Kante picking up injuries. The second half was a grind and we never really looked like penetrating Burnley's defence. I had the feeling it would take a moment of individual genius but you can't rely on Hazard every time.

I have to say that Higuain really pissed me off when he was substituted. Firstly, he took ages to slowly amble off the pitch and wasted valuable time, and then his little temper tantrum on the bench that was completely unprofessional. It's not like the substitution would have been a surprise to anybody. If he's not around next season then I won't miss him. I'd rather have Morata back at the moment.

Edited by bluedave

5 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I wish I had your optimism

Posted (edited)

Can I add to my earlier comments that there isnt a footballer in the world I dislike more than Ashley Barnes. 

Bloke nearly broke Matics leg and ruined him in my view from that point.  He carries on and tries to get players sent off going down and staying down at the slightest touch. 

Edited by Spiller86

9 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I blame our terrible defending too, terrible defending that is straight out of the coaches notebook. He's the one making us play this sh*t zonal marking. 

I don't know how you can say that our second half wasn't terrible. It was the same sh*t we have seen so many times this season. We didn't test Heaton once!! Burnley defended well because we did absolutely nothing to test them. The passing was slow, the movement was non existent, the crossing was abysmal, not once did we throw players into the box, it was constantly Higuain or Giroud on their own against 6 defenders. It was a pathetic 2nd half performance, we should have been busting a gut to force something to happen, but we didn't. I can't think of one time this season where we have looked like scoring against these teams that sit back and soak up the pressure. It's easy for them

And Kovacic and Jorginho were awful. Pretty much everything they did was pass it sideways and any time they did try and play forward, they cocked it up. Two players that look more like Arsenal players than Chelsea players of the last 15 years.

Burnley set about the task of frustrating us well and it’s not easy to find a way through against that. Wouldn’t have had to if we hadn’t conceded those first half goals which is why I maintain our poor defence, not our attack, was the main problem tonight. The last 15 years for Chelsea were a rare period. May not happen again in our life times, or ever in fact. 

Last 20 mins of the game was wasted by Burnley going down 6 times. Why was there only 5 mins added, 2 of which were wasted again by their players. Saying that, we were dire without kante second half.

2 minutes ago, Dean said:

Burnley set about the task of frustrating us well and it’s not easy to find a way through against that. Wouldn’t have had to if we hadn’t conceded those first half goals which is why I maintain our poor defence, not our attack, was the main problem tonight. The last 15 years for Chelsea were a rare period. May not happen again in our life times, or ever in fact. 

No, it's not easy, but when you play like we do, it makes it a lot easier for them. I don't see any other team play the way we do against these teams. If Burnley played the same way and put in the same performance against any of the teams around us, they would have had to have had a lot of luck to get a result from it and Heaton would have been needed to make a few saves as well. At no point did we look like scoring in that second half, every other team around us would have been firing shots at that goal every few minutes, all we did was piss about with the ball on the edge of the area.

Serious question, what do we actually do in training?

Because we concede a high percentage of the shots against us and we don’t seem to work on ways of unlocking defensive teams.

Just now, 2211 said:

Serious question, what do we actually do in training?

Because we concede a high percentage of the shots against us and we don’t seem to work on ways of unlocking defensive teams.

Mostly pass the ball around, that's how it seems.

31 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Well that was f**king depressing. Anyone want a couple of United tickets?

Yes please. I've not had the opportunity of seeing a game at any stadium in many seasons. Not been able to get a ticket.

18 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Mostly pass the ball around, that's how it seems.

We tend to panic when we have to pass under pressure

51 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Yeah, but Man Utd have lost six games in the last 8 games. I really doubt they will rip us apart.

Well it’s an absolute shoe in that they’ll beat us then!