coco

Chelsea vs Burnley (PL) Mon 22nd Apr 20:00 GMT

Leaving the bridge tonight, the majority of fans frustration was towards the referee. I’m not so sure. 

We are a strong squad and played reasonably well tonight but again predictable and repetitive in our approach. Felt we needed a slice of good fortune or an individual piece of skill to nick a winner in a must win game. 

With 10 minutes to go surely we could have played both Higuain and Giroud together? Just a thought.

Massive opportunity missed tonight. 

44 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Can I add to my earlier comments that there isnt a footballer in the world I dislike more than Ashley Barnes. 

Bloke nearly broke Matics leg and ruined him in my view from that point.  He carries on and tries to get players sent off going down and staying down at the slightest touch. 

If you haven't seen how he won the free kick that led to their equaliser yet (Sky did an analysis of it from behind) you'll hate him even more when you do.

25 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

If you haven't seen how he won the free kick that led to their equaliser yet (Sky did an analysis of it from behind) you'll hate him even more when you do.

For a self styled ‘big ‘ard lad’ he doesn’t half go down like a sack of sh*t (which is he) at the slightest contact. He makes early Drogba look like an honest player. 

Just a couple of points. Apparently, we prepared for Burnley's threat from set pieces. We really did.

Not sure Sarri understands that Kovacic is not a direct replacement for Kante. 

Sarri has no tactical imagination. When you need to win, he doesn't know what to do to make that more likely to happen. It's just more of the same.

Hazard is the only reason we're not in the bottom half of the table. We're stuffed when he leaves.

Not sacking Sarri earlier was a big mistake. Not as big a mistake as hiring him in the first place though. 

The new manager needs to be identified quickly. We just need to move on from this season as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

Hazard is the only reason we're not in the bottom half of the table.

I'm sorry but that's hyperbole at it's finest.

On 18/04/2019 at 15:10, axman2526 said:

A team with lots of fight, determination, dirty tactics and grit. And us.

Burnley cause our latest upset imo.

Yup. What sh*t that was.

2 set pieces and 2 goals conceded. Rubbish defending when are attack was doing so well.

Then we lose CHO, who was average, and the Brilliant Kante, for the rubbish Pedro and Kovacic and create nothing in the second half. Heaton was on easy street.

Only reason we did not lose is Burnley did not try to win the game.

Forget top 4 and the Europa league. If a hoof it pub team like Burnley can rip our defence to shreds we dont have a prayer.

All of our remaining opponents are way better than Burnley. This was our big opportunity wasted.

2 hours ago, Argo said:

I'm sorry but that's hyperbole at it's finest.

There's so much hyperbole in general and a staggering amount of confirmation bias on here. The finger is pointed at the usual scapegoats whenever anything goes wrong, while the faves are untouchable. Ok, so Kovacic didn't set the world on fire last night, but did nothing wrong, actually had an ok game, tackled, kept and moved the ball well (watch it again if you don't believe me). Likewise Jorginho. How was RLC, who can do no wrong, any better or more threatening than either? Separate question - we are level with Tottenham. Ok they have a game in hand and let's say they win it so we are in fact 3 points behind. But they have a manager that is highly rated by all and has been there for 4-5 years vs not even a full season and no preseason for Sarri. They have a comparable squad and first team in terms of quality (this is debatable of course, but i'd say you could argue the case for either being stronger). Yet pretty much anyone on here would take the lionised Pochettino over Sarri in  a heartbeat. The level of hate, as i've said many times, is unjustified. 

I just don’t understand why we couldn’t try Giroud alongside Higuain. I know Higuain was less effective 2nd half but we were continually getting into wide positions with nobody to cross to. Is Sarri so prescriptive in his play that he can’t consider a direct approach against a direct team.

On another note I’m still angry that officials effectively rewarded Burnley for time wasting by not allowing anywhere near enough time. I’d love to see how much actual playing time was achieved in those last 15 mins. It felt like very little

@Dean your defence of the team is commendable and although looking at the table we’re there is little between Tottenham and us there is a world or difference in our performances. For a start spurs have had 3 of their main players in Kane, son and Ali missing for large parts of the season, imagine us if Hazard or Kanti where missing. What happens when hazard leaves I dread to think. 

Spurs have had a tougher gun with CL in which they are in the semis compared to are run with the small fry of Europe. 

I believe our position in the league is a false one and our start of 12 games was lucky to say the least. You could tell that the wheels were going to come off at some stage and they have. We have done very little against bigger teams and now smaller teams know how to play us and our manager doesn’t know how to change it.

you mention the usual suspects and your right that the likes of RLC hasn’t been pulling up many trees however he does have more about him in a creative roll and is more effective and this is despite of Sarri tactics. 

Also for me Sarri’s brand of football is the most boring uninspiring crap I’ve seen us play. I just don’t want to watch this sideways, sideways, sideways sh*t over and over again for 80% procession with little direct impact. If we stick with Sarri next season and lose Hazard we will drop further down the league.

There's so much hyperbole in general and a staggering amount of confirmation bias on here. The finger is pointed at the usual scapegoats whenever anything goes wrong, while the faves are untouchable. Ok, so Kovacic didn't set the world on fire last night, but did nothing wrong, actually had an ok game, tackled, kept and moved the ball well (watch it again if you don't believe me). Likewise Jorginho. How was RLC, who can do no wrong, any better or more threatening than either? Separate question - we are level with Tottenham. Ok they have a game in hand and let's say they win it so we are in fact 3 points behind. But they have a manager that is highly rated by all and has been there for 4-5 years vs not even a full season and no preseason for Sarri. They have a comparable squad and first team in terms of quality (this is debatable of course, but i'd say you could argue the case for either being stronger). Yet pretty much anyone on here would take the lionised Pochettino over Sarri in  a heartbeat. The level of hate, as i've said many times, is unjustified. 
I'm with you.

To be honest I’m ready for next season. I’ve resigned to us not finishing top 4 and not winning EL. We’d have to be very lucky to achieve a top 4 finish and well, we seem to struggle to beat Arsenal nowadays and that’s if we get past Frankfurt.

As usual, we f* blew it as soon as we faced with any resistance. 2:1 up and full of confidence, as soon as they got that free kick, all the sudden we looked like conceding again. As soon as 2:2 came, heads were down, that energy and enthusiasm just gone. In the end, Burnley didn't have to try that hard to hold on. The biggest issue is under this manager, there's no fight in this team. As soon as we faced any resistance, we crumbled, and not willing to do the hard work to get back into the game. Defending set pieces have been awful lately, we seemed changing from Man to Zonal marking, and it's not paying off, to be honest it's never paid off ( this team or others). Burnly did what they had to do, dirty or not. If all we had to say was bashing them for not playing football, just to show the different ( the wrong) mind set Sarri has setup in this team. End of season can't come soon enough, have the feeling there will be a few more headaches before it ends.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, gazza said:

Sarri has to go this is pitiful 

Don't agree here.

Last night we started out with three of our own young talents; Christensen, RLC & CHO. Furthermore, we played fast-paced attacking football, and was unlucky (mixed with bad defensive positioning) to concede two goals on set pieces in the first half. Both our goals - and most of our attacking plays - were great last night. Sacking Sarri and starting from scratch all over again is not the right way to go IMO. Give him another season or two - and get some continuity in the way we train and play for once. 

Edited by Hanzen

We needed a better result.

The referee didn't do us any favours against some of the dirty arts used by Burnley.

We lost two players early due to injury.

I suspect Kovacic came on for Kante as we needed pace in midfield.

A few positives, Higuaín has finally started to link up with our players, Hazard and Pedro and took his goal well.

Good to see Kante score and the way he moved towards Hazard being marked wide was clever.

We should have Rudiger back for Utd, hoping he does not get banned for the after-match antics.

I liked the bit where we kept getting the ball wide to the fullbacks but when they looked up into the area for someone to cross to there was only Higuain or Giroud to aim at with the rest of team loitering around the edge of the 18 yard box. 

It was such an effective tactic that we kept doing it for the entirety of the second half. 

5 hours ago, goose said:

@Dean your defence of the team is commendable and although looking at the table we’re there is little between Tottenham and us there is a world or difference in our performances. For a start spurs have had 3 of their main players in Kane, son and Ali missing for large parts of the season, imagine us if Hazard or Kanti where missing. What happens when hazard leaves I dread to think. 

Spurs have had a tougher gun with CL in which they are in the semis compared to are run with the small fry of Europe. 

I believe our position in the league is a false one and our start of 12 games was lucky to say the least. You could tell that the wheels were going to come off at some stage and they have. We have done very little against bigger teams and now smaller teams know how to play us and our manager doesn’t know how to change it.

you mention the usual suspects and your right that the likes of RLC hasn’t been pulling up many trees however he does have more about him in a creative roll and is more effective and this is despite of Sarri tactics. 

Also for me Sarri’s brand of football is the most boring uninspiring crap I’ve seen us play. I just don’t want to watch this sideways, sideways, sideways sh*t over and over again for 80% procession with little direct impact. If we stick with Sarri next season and lose Hazard we will drop further down the league.

Fair response. i guess we just have to agree to disagree re Sarri's football. i would say though that a lot of what you don't like i don't like either, and nor does Sarri. We know what his brand of football is meant to look like, as we saw it at Napoli and we have seen glimpses of it this season and i would argue last night too (both our goals e.g. why won't anyone recognise the positives?) We're a work in progress. Managing an elite football team is hard, particularly in a country where the manager doesn't know the culture, and hardly speaks the language (imagine yourself in a similar situation with the job you do).. Getting it all (attack, defence, team spirit etc) working simultaneously takes some time even for a manager more familiar with the culture etc. I would characterise the season's trajectory slightly differently. First 12 games - yes a honeymoon period perhaps. Then a really bad period, and i confess i pretty much threw in the towel when he brought on Zappacosta in the Man U game. But pressure like that will mess with your head. Since then things have improved notably, and i find people just refuse to recognise it. I even took it as a positive that we got in a tussle at the end, which we never saw during the dreadful period - at least it reflects some fire in the player's bellies. But i recognise that i'm outnumbered here and if the majority of the fans don't want him, it may be a self-fulfilling prophecy that he goes. 

What a shame Burnley won't be relegated.Anti football is being kind.Barnes is a total arsehole and Friend fell for every time wasting trick.When they finally go down,and they will,I for one won't miss them.UTC !

The one thing I noticed was when we kicked off after 2:2, there was none of the fight and urgency we showed to get it to 2:1. It seemed like they thought that fighting back once should've been enough and when it wasn't, just had a bit of a sulk. I don't know if that's a fair assessment but that's how it seemed at the time watching it. Either way, it's poor to not get a result. Sure, Burnley played every (dirty) trick in the book, but when you're a team fighting for top 4, you have to find a way. I'm not about to get involved in working out whether that's on the players or the manager or both, but I think we can say that as a team we bottled it.

3 minutes ago, Remy10 said:

The one thing I noticed was when we kicked off after 2:2, there was none of the fight and urgency we showed to get it to 2:1. It seemed like they thought that fighting back once should've been enough and when it wasn't, just had a bit of a sulk. I don't know if that's a fair assessment but that's how it seemed at the time watching it. Either way, it's poor to not get a result. Sure, Burnley played every (dirty) trick in the book, but when you're a team fighting for top 4, you have to find a way. I'm not about to get involved in working out whether that's on the players or the manager or both, but I think we can say that as a team we bottled it.

I kind of think the two early injuries hampered Sarri being able to change things though of course does not mean we would have won.