coco

Chelsea vs Eintracht Frankfurt (EL) Thur 9th May 20:00 GMT

31 minutes ago, Zeta said:

Kepa - 9/10 - Made some important saves and stopped 2 pens. 
Emerson - 7/10 - Showed good energy up and down the left. Disappointing end product, but there is never anyone to hit in the box anyway.
Luiz - 5/10 - Made an important goal line clearance and upper his game in extra time, but that mistake for their goal was awful and he kept going walkabout up to the left wing and then not getting back when they countered
Christensen - 6/10 - Generally solid.
Azpilicueta - 6/10 - Good defensively, but doesn't offer much going forward.
Jorginho - 6/10 - Hot and cold again. Some excellent passing moves, some good tackles, some lightweight attempts to win the ball, some piss-poor passes.
Kovacic - 3.5/10 - Some awful passing and lucky to not be sent off. Did very little as the game progressed. Madrid can have him back
Loftus-Cheek - 8/10 - A few misplaced passes, but strong and quick through the middle and took his goal really well
Hazard - 6/10 - Good pass for the goal and stepped up with the winning pen, but otherwise quiet. Hopefully saving himself for the final.
Giroud - 5/10 - I can't really remember him doing anything at all
Willian - 4/10 - Poor, even by his standards

Subs:

Pedro - 3.5/10 - Didn't think he could possibly play worse than Willian. Boy was I wrong.
Zappacosta - 6.5/10 - Offers much more threat going forward and has a decent shot on him. Having not played much this season, though he did well when called upon.
Barkley - 6.5/10 - Willing to have a go at goal, which is a rarity in this team.
Higuain - 4/10 - Not on long but still managed to disappoint. And as usual, despite being a striker, he bottles taking a penalty.

Manager:

Sarri - 6/10 - Lucky.

Spot on really. Team for the final then:

Kepa

Azpi Christensen Luiz Emerson

Jorginho

Kante   

RLC

Pedro                                 Hazard

?(Both equally as sh*te) 

Sarri needs CFC to win to get a “never won anything” monkey off his back. 

I luv hazard and really sorry to see him go but in a funny way I think it’s the right time if there is a right time. Lately he’s been trying too hard and lost the ball lots of times. Of course he’s still easilynthe best player on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Dean said:

He really looks like he could cut it in the PL. A beast. Kind of reminds me of Suarez. 

Yeah he definitely has the physicality for the premier league. Excellent finisher too. He’d be an amazing signing but probably off to Madrid.

Missed the match again, just saw a 5 min highlight reel & the full shootout. Obviously can’t comment apart from Kepa saving the day and as usual Eddy stepped up & bailed us out. Saw the photo on this thread  of Sarri detached from celebration on pitch ? He’s a strange fish that bloke. each club only gets 6K tickets in a 68K capacity stadium in Baku (wtf it’s by Iran), typical UEFA bs. Gooners in final &  if you are a betting man you’d say their advantage is their manager and his experience in the comp. If we have an advantage it’s our # 10. May the best team win, either way we have had 4 clubs make European history this week with high drama all round. Love football !!!

Carefree then !

That was a nerve-wracking game. Kepa redeemed himself tonight. We still look a bit shaky though. I'm a bit worried about the final, but I'm sure we'll be up for the task. Winning the Europa League would be a nice cap on a relatively mellow year.

Posted (edited)

What an emotional rollercoaster - a few observations in no particular order:

1. Jorginho is on a great run of form, and i'm wondering if Kante not playing next to him somehow brings out the best in him (hopefully not the case). Either way he's grown on me and hopefully a lot of other fans after some of the flak he was copping on our dire midseason run of form. Kepa, Dave and Luiz (goal excluded) were also great.

2. RLC is so bloody good. If he can sort out his back and his fitness he's going to be one of the top midfielders in world football. His skillset is somewhat similar to Pogba's, however fortunately he doesn't share his attitude problem.

3. Despite how good RLC was in the first half, he was clearly struggling in the second. The home fans were fantastic tonight but the booing of the substitution really wasn't warranted, especially when Barkley has always given his all on the field.

4. The Frankfurt fans are some of the best i've seen anywhere in Europe, almost felt sorry for them in the end. As for their team - a truck load of effort but not on the same level in terms of quality. For all the hype around Jovic and granted he did score two goals, he was near-invisible for the rest of both games and don't think he's what we need. That being said there seems to be a drought of top tier strikers in Europe at the moment, so we could also do much worse (eg. Higuain).

5. I like Kovacic, he clearly leaves it all out on the field and is tidy on the ball, but don't think we should be bringing him back unless it's to solely be an understudy to Jorginho. We shouldn't be playing both of them together, and Jorginho is better.

6. Lastly my thoughts on Sarri, who was a hot topic of discussion in this thread. He's taken on a squad which last season was clearly in need of revival - the only additional resources he was given were Jorginho, and Kovacic on loan (not counting Kepa who was a like-for-like for Courtois). He's then taken on an ambitious project to change us from a pragmatic, defence-first team (which we have been at least since 2011), to a free-flowing attacking team. He's taken this project on a number of years after City, Liverpool and Spurs did similar, under arguably the 3 best managers currently managing. The result was two cup finals (and potentially a win), plus a jump from 5th to 3rd. There were some serious issues around January when we looked lost, but in the initial few months, and in the closing weeks of the season there has been ample evidence that we are improving. The glaring issue remains the absence of a reliable goal scorer - if we can rectify this, I think  we can look forward to an even stronger run next season. The crucial thing is that we don't eject the manager half way through the job - we've seen how City/Pool/Spuds have benefited by putting some faith in their manager, and it's time for us to do the same.

A beautiful SB farewell for likely leavers Hazard, Giroud, Higuain, Kovacic and potentially also Luiz. KTBFFH.

edit: one final, final point - I thought Zappacosta was one of the worst players we've had in the squad in recent years, but was solid tonight so fair play to him. In his previous appearances it's looked like he's trying to come on and do too much to make an impression, if he settles down he's much better.

Edited by Jonty

Was at the game. The atmosphere was electric and also toxic at times. Thought we played well first hslf, but as soon as the second half started, we were terrible for the rest of the match. Thought Ruben and Jorginho were by far the best players for us, as well as Kepa. Hazard looked absolutely terrible, worst game ive seen from him. Was a shame Christensen and Loftus had to come off early..but anyway great result despite it all.

Come on the Chels

Hello Chelsea mates! Watched all of this one and Watford victory, but have not had a chance to post.

I really thought everyone gave solid effort tonight, but seemed to just miss on the final pass by a hair on several scoring opportunities inside the penalty area. We appeared a tad off on those passes. Could have been due to being worn out late on. Giroud missed on some open chances and there were a few loose balls in the 6-yard box that we had no one near the rebound.

I noticed many noted a poor performance tonight. Obviously did not play our best, but it was not a case of lack of interest as we have seen in some games in recent years, where the players seem indifferent.

Loftus-Cheek has really grown up this year, huh? His confidence really shows and his physicality is difficult for the opposition to handle. He shrugs people off of him with his strength and maintains possession. Shows what patience by the club can do. Hudson-Odoi is raw but we need to be patient for him to harness his quickness and grow into a finisher.

You could tell what this match meant to the players when Eden sealed it. It may be the secondary European trophy, but it was a very exciting win and the players engagement made it that much better.

So happy for Kepa. Really huge stops. How many of you thought, "oh, well, what else did I expect" when Dave missed? Kepa brought us back into it. He seemed genuinely excited after the match during the celebrations.  

Luiz's play off the line was game saving and awesome as was Zappa's header. Zappa showed a lot of mental strength when he was just suddenly put on the pitch having very little playing time since January.

Not sure which makes a win in the Final better: (1) lifting another European trophy or (2) denying the Gooners from lifting one!! :wink: :biggrin:

How unique to have Liverpool-Spurs in Madrid for the UCL Final and Chelsea-Arsenal in Baku for the UEL Final. Do not forget the two winners match up August 14th in Istanbul for the Super Cup. Could they get a few of these a little more central in Europe instead of the middle east? 

Speaking of the UCL, really do not want either to win, but for me, its more about we cannot have Tottenham lifting the UCL trophy on June 1st. I mean, come on, they are in the bottom four record wise in the PL the past 11 weeks (3-1-7, 10 out of 33 possible points) and have lost 13 games! We could do anything they have done this year. And do not give me Kane has been injured, bot for that entire stretch. 11 weeks ago they were 5 points out of first, now the are about 25! Plus we split 4 matches with them year. We-hate-Tottenham! clap clap-clap-clap-clap We-hate-Tottenham! But enough about Spuds.

Though we are not finishing like a rocket, we have regrouped and somehow will finish third or fourth in the PL and play in a Final with a chance at decent silverware. We are 11-4-2 in our last 17 in all competitions. Not great, but acceptable, with the losses vs. United in FA Cup and at Liverpool.

Would love to win Sunday to finish third, above Arsenal AND Tottenham. Though I have to believe the players will be incredibly tired after all of the minutes tonight. Good thing we already have Top 4 locked up otherwise I would be concerned. Who do we even start for that match? Better yet, who do we even play on May 15th in the States vs New England in a friendly? The Under 21 team?

It has been a fun and exciting finish to the year. Enjoy this one mates and hope we have a great performance Sunday! Have a Blue weekend everyone!

Come on you Chelsea!! :bluescalf::bluescalf:

Got out of jail there, but it's great to be in the final.

Wouldn't have wanted anyone other than Hazard taking that lass penalty. So cool and what class to celebrate but also go and console the keeper.

Another awful second half last night, extra time wasn't much better but I can't comment on the pens as I never watch them.

Hazard stunk the place out last night! Why does he go missing so often?

Kovacic needs to disappear at the end of the season, the guy gives absolutely nothing to the team.

Rubens had a fantastic first half, but was rightly subbed in the second half as he seemed to run out of steam.

Jorginho (every Chelsea fans favourite player) had a great first half, minus one or two misplaced passes. Again another one that faded as the game went on.

The game was almost a microcosm of Chelsea's entire season under Sarri. 

At times, we looked decent, dominating the ball moving it around with ease but lacking some cutting edge in the final third. Eden Hazard coming to the rescue and making the telling contribution. Creating decent openings but not having players, a striker in particular, clinical to finish them off. 

Other times we looked a hopeless, with players making basic mistakes all over the pitch and allowing the opposition to win the ball back in dangerous areas when playing out from the back doesn't work or just allowing too much time and space around the area. 

We got there in the end, though we're not quite sure how... And for now, that's all that matters. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Valerie said:

Something worth re-posting

:bow:

I was one of them Val haha. I still think he is too short, though he has had a couple of good games recently.

Edited by Spiller86

Posted (edited)

We didn’t arrive home till 1.40am this morning. After reaching a final I should be buzzing especially after penalties .I was earlier the season when we beat Spurs. But I am not in truth I am furious 

The players were running on empty for me the relief of CL qualification took its toll. At least the players will have a few days rest after the Leicester game, a game I am expecting to get nothing from.

I scratched my head when RLC was subbed, I scratched my head when Sari failed to respond to their change of shape but why I am furious is the fact that in The West Lower there were more than just a few EF supporters who were causing problems . Supporters who never re act , supporters who sit watch and applaud were seething those same supporters went to Stewards asking the EF supporters, who weren’t sitting on their hands( two directly in front of me did just that) , be removed yet far from the situation being managed the response was that unless the Chelsea supporters shut up it would be they that were ejected.

We are season ticket holders and the fellow Chelsea supporter behind us , a supporter that has emotional and physical issues kept having his head slapped so what did the stewards do? They retreated to the stairwell !

Had Chelsea been eliminated there could easily have been a mass brawl. I don’t exaggerate as I said supporters who never cause and issue did not feel safe, did not feel comfortable in what is and should be an area reserved for Chelsea supporters in an area that yes some say have no atmosphere but never is a problem to anyone .

On the tube we met a fellow Chelsea ST holder, and yes I know we had to buy a ticket last night, his seat was in thebEast Stand his experiences were the same.

Had last nights game been a PL game then the stewards would have taken action that said nothing would surprise me so perhaps I should say efficient stewards would. Indeed anyone remember WBA when we won the league? 

Edited by terraloon

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, terraloon said:

We didn’t arrive home till 1.40am this morning. After reaching a final I should be buzzing especially after penalties .I was earlier the season when we beat Spurs. But I am not in truth I am furious 

The players were running on empty for me the relief of CL qualification took its toll. At least the players will have a few days rest after the Leicester game, a game I am expecting to get nothing from.

I scratched my head when RLC was subbed, I scratched my head when Sari failed to respond to their change of shape but why I am furious is the fact that in The West Lower there were more than just a few EF supporters who were causing problems . Supporters who never re act , supporters who sit watch and applaud were seething those same supporters went to Stewards asking the EF supporters, who weren’t sitting on their hands( two directly in front of me did just that) , be removed yet far from the situation being managed the response was that unless the Chelsea supporters shut up it would be they that were ejected.

We are season ticket holders and the fellow Chelsea supporter behind us , a supporter that has emotional and physical issues kept having his head slapped so what did the stewards do? They retreated to the stairwell !

Had Chelsea been eliminated there could easily have been a mass brawl. I don’t exaggerate as I said supporters who never cause and issue did not feel safe, did not feel comfortable in what is and should be an area reserved for Chelsea supporters in an area that yes some say have no atmosphere but never is a problem to anyone .

On the tube we met a fellow Chelsea ST holder, and yes I know we had to buy a ticket last night, his seat was in thebEast Stand his experiences were the same.

Had last nights game been a PL game then the stewards would have taken action that said nothing would surprise me so perhaps I should say efficient stewards would. Indeed anyone remember WBA when we won the league? 

You should write about this to the club, make them aware of this.

I hope you can enjoy the result today!

Edited by Valerie