The Striker Situation

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

13 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Anyone but Higuain & still don’t understand why we have renewed Giroud’s contract. 

Dropped the ball on both Piatek & Jovic in Jan, the former has scored 13 league goals in 18 league starts for Milan & will only get better. He has replaced Higuain who could only manage 5 league goals in 13 starts.

Piatek i think you could make an argument we should have been involved, however i can understand caution, since Piatek was a fairly unknown quantity, and still could go either way. 

Jovic was an impossible transfer in january. Frankfurt wouldve had to try and buy him from benfica, and then sell him to us.There was no motivation from frankfurt, Benfica, or Jovic himself, to force all of that through, especially since Jovic could boost his value before the end of season.

We havent dropped the ball with him, there was just no feasible way we couldve signed him in January, now it looks like madrid have beaten us to the punch in the summer, but with the ban in place, what more could we have done? 

Giroud has just had the extra year of his contract triggered so if the ban stays in place, we still have giroud, if it gets lifted, then we can get a fee for him. No point letting him leave for free when there seems to be quite a bit of interest in him.

It's pretty simple, if the ban don't stay in place:

Buy a striker, Tammy and Giroud as replacements and get rid of the rest of our strikers

Ban stays in place:

Buy Higuain, extend Giroud and let those battle it out with Abraham. Personally I actually think Abraham is capable of being our nr 1 striker, but you can't gamble on that so in this case we should definitely sign Higuain. 

No way is Tammy ready to be our number one striker. The guy got majorly bullied by West Brom, they were so physical and that’s the kind of thing he’d have to play against every week in the PL. He needs to get on the weights and needs a good PL loan, best thing that we could hope for is that Villa get promoted and take him back on loan again with him as their number 1.

29 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

No way is Tammy ready to be our number one striker. The guy got majorly bullied by West Brom, they were so physical and that’s the kind of thing he’d have to play against every week in the PL. He needs to get on the weights and needs a good PL loan, best thing that we could hope for is that Villa get promoted and take him back on loan again with him as their number 1.

Just a thought, if Giroud plays 70 and then Tammy comes on for the last part against tired legs that might be a combo that works.

5 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Just a thought, if Giroud plays 70 and then Tammy comes on for the last part against tired legs that might be a combo that works.

Giroud that scored 2 league goals in 843mins of PL football should lead our frontline? Yeah we are not going anywhere.

9 hours ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

Unlikely, the Championship is FAR more physical than the Premier league. Premier League is more about technicality than physicality.

1 minute ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Unlikely, the Championship is FAR more physical than the Premier league. Premier League is more about technicality than physicality.

You play against faster tougher opponent in the Premier league. I get what you’re saying the Championship is probably more brutish but the PL is a lot faster and therefore the challenges hit you harder. 

5 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

You play against faster tougher opponent in the Premier league. I get what you’re saying the Championship is probably more brutish but the PL is a lot faster and therefore the challenges hit you harder. 

Hence why you need to be more technical, rather than just a brute force wrecking ball. How many of the leagues top forwards have had to go stick some muscle on in the gym? Aguero? Kane? Salah? Auba? None of them are particularly physical players. Tammy has clever movement in the box, reckon he's do fine in the Prem with proper players around him.

58 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Hence why you need to be more technical, rather than just a brute force wrecking ball. How many of the leagues top forwards have had to go stick some muscle on in the gym? Aguero? Kane? Salah? Auba? None of them are particularly physical players. Tammy has clever movement in the box, reckon he's do fine in the Prem with proper players around him.

All of those players are strong, they have good balance. Tammy needs to toughen up imo, he was getting knocked all over the place against West Brom. We’ll see I guess but I certainly don’t think he’s ready. 

3 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

All of those players are strong, they have good balance. Tammy needs to toughen up imo, he was getting knocked all over the place against West Brom. We’ll see I guess but I certainly don’t think he’s ready. 

Kane is the only one that comes close to Tammy physically.

2 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

Im talking about those players been strong enough. Each one of them has great balance, I wasn’t comparing body types at all.

Your original post mentioned physicality and how Tammy needs to get on the weights if he wants to survive in the Prem. Balance, height, weight and physicality he is probably on par with Auba and he's not done too shabby this season.

2 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Tammy has clever movement in the box, reckon he's do fine in the Prem with proper players around him.

Agreed. you cant really predict if he'll make it at the top, not until he's been around the top players. 

8 minutes ago, coco said:

Agreed. you cant really predict if he'll make it at the top, not until he's been around the top players. 

Certainly worth giving him a shot with the other options available to us. Is he really gonna score less than Giroud? I doubt it.

@RIP Mourinho Can't find it now but agree with your post saying you'd want Tammy and Bats next season. (Ban permitting)

I think they are both young and raw, but most importantly are clinical finishers. Other aspects of the game can be coached into them.

Call me old fashioned but i want my centre forwards to be goal scorers above anything else. Anything else is just a bonus to me. 

Edited by drjonesy1994

6 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Certainly worth giving him a shot with the other options available to us. Is he really gonna score less than Giroud? I doubt it.

Would be good to see him get his chance, we need as many options up front next season with Eden leaving.

13 hours ago, ducavis said:

Giroud that scored 2 league goals in 843mins of PL football should lead our frontline? Yeah we are not going anywhere.

Well we might start 70-20 yet that is not to say it will stay that way, after a month it might become 20-70.

It's got to be Michy, Giroud and Tammy next season, we have no other choice.

Morata looks to be coming back but it's clear he's traumatised by his experience here and doesn't want to stay, we'll probably sell to Atletico for less than we paid for him.

If Hazard stays I bet he'll be forced into the false 9 role most games, that's probably another reason for him to leave.

If we do decide to just ride the ban out, I think our striker situation isn't quite as bleak as some are making it out to be. Although, I understand why a lot feel that way. First thing I would do, is return Higuain. I don't think we need him as he doesn't really offer much. With that in mind, I would also sell Morata to Atletico. It is quite clear to me that Morata's issues are mental. He doesn't want to be here, he wants to be in Madrid. He has the ability but if his mind isn't there, he isn't going to perform for us. Next thing I would do, is probably for the start of the season make Giroud the starter, unless Tammy or Bats comes out of the gates flying. I think my goal would be to be leaning towards Tammy and Bats as my primary strikers by Christmas while giving Giroud the opportunity to play in more cup matches and also give him the opportunity to mentor Tammy for a while. 

I mean, I don't foresee us lighting the premier league on fire by any means, but using Giroud in spots can be beneficial. Granted he scored 2 freaking goals in the premier league this past season, that's not great obviously. 

I’d keep Higuain - risk but reckon with a full pre season and will have a better understanding of the league, he can get better. Been banging them in for every club his entire career. 5 goals I think he has in the league is solid, fully adapted and knows Sarri well from Napoli I think he can get better but not guaranteed of course, age doesn’t stop for anyone!

Giroud - Good backup, little complaints there, great for FA Cup and League Cup and off the bench. Good vs sh*te teams but cannot be 1st choice

Bats/Abraham - Not seen much of Bats on loan, wasn’t really lighting things up when he was with us. Little bit similar to Giroud without the experience or physicality, he will score v bottom half fodder but not big teams. Could get a good fee for him. As for Abraham, possible 3rd striker. There’s a big jump from the championship to the premier League, personally wouldn’t risk him being a starter 

Morata - On loan for 2 years anyway but in the possibility we bring him back, do we really want to repeat this disaster again? ? Had potential at the start but couldn’t hit a barn door towards the end, and you could say not a big enough sh*thouse for a Chelsea striker. Especially when we’ve had Drogba and Costa..

In a perfect world the club would bring in a striker of the caliber of past high yielding goal scorers we all know their names - Dixon, Drogba, Anelka, Costa etc. 

This because of the FIFA transfer ban however is highly unlikely so the club will have to make do

Higuain - on loan, does any one on here or in the media know for sure that he could be kept under the transfer ban (rumors persist that the club don't want him next season anyway )? He's surely registered to Juventus as he's their player. Even if he could be kept he's shown very little, looks like his legs are gone and imo would just block a younger prospect's playing time.

Giroud - one year extension activated, really like him as a 'man', hes done alright in EL but cant see him getting that much joy in the CL Groups next season and in the prem hes past it, why the Gooners sold him to us. But hes staying now, a useful back up thats all.

Tammy - excelled at Villa. If they get promotion they'll be knocking at the door with $ 25 mill quid hoping to sign the boy up. Logically he should go on loan to a prem club but as there's the ban he could realistically be drafted into the 1st team squad and given a go, unrealistic to expect him to hit the ground running and bag a goal every 2 games, again a promising back up with potential.

Bats - how quickly his goal against the Baggies has been forgotten, he shows glimpses of potential and has done himself nothing but good in the shop window at Palace. Think if Sarri stays he will be sold for about the same fee as Tammy 25-30 mill as he wont get any game time in Sarri Ball. 

If the ban holds then its 3 out of the 4 above as strikers. If the window opens I hope the club has an ace up its sleeve and we get in a proven goal scorer, without a 20 prem goal a season # 9 we will always be on the outside looking in, just like Spuds & Gooners- another team happy just to make top 4 season in season out - yes I am a spoiled glory hunting F'er !!! (but a long term one at that).