Jump to content


big blue

The Striker Situation


Recommended Posts

The situation with our strikers is surely at an all time low. Giroud cant play 90 mins, Higuain cant play 45 mins, Morata cant play football! 

Batshuayi doesnt look good enough for a top 6 side, certainly not as the main man anyway, which leaves Abraham, who we all hope turns into our own harry kane, rather than dwight gayle. 

I think the vast majority of us want to see a striker signed in the summer, ban permitting, however we find ourselves in a position that if a player has an outstanding break out season, we are not currently their preferred destination. 

Jovic is heading to madrid, Werner looks destined for bayern, and icardi has had a lot of off field issues.

So that leaves with either signing a striker his 30's that is deemed surplus to requirements at a bigger club, or gambling on a player before they have a truly outstanding season. 

There are traditional number 9 type strikers like

Maxi Gomez,

Moussa Dembele

Patrick Cutrone

Andrea Belotti

Sebastien Haller 

Then there are verstile forwards that may be able to convert to centre forwards in the same way Aubameyang, Lacazette, Firmino, and Son, have adapted to play centrally. 

Joao Felix

Pepe

Inaki Williams 

Nabil Fekir

Memphis Depay.

What is everyones thoughts? Who else should the club be looking at? Do we have enough with Abraham? What type of striker do we need?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haller looks to be a player.  Otherwise, that last set of versatile forwards you listed, any one of them could help us - except I don’t know a lot about Williams, but the other 4 could for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the ban stands, which I sort of hope it does (to both get it out the way and give youth a chance), then I am OK with giving Tammy and Batman a go.  Both good finishers, but can either of them provide the sort of hold-up play required?  Alternatively does Pulisic have the potential to become a Maertins from Sarri's Napoli type striker?🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would go for Belotti, he has all the tools to play in the PL and he seems like a great leader wich we need so badly.

I also like Milik from Napoli,Poulsen from RB Leipizg and that Haller guy from Frankfurt was quite good also.

So for me next season i would to see , Belotti ,Batman and Abraham wich give us a lot of different options.

Edited by DidierDrogbalala

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, fester said:

If the ban stands, which I sort of hope it does (to both get it out the way and give youth a chance), then I am OK with giving Tammy and Batman a go.  Both good finishers, but can either of them provide the sort of hold-up play required?  Alternatively does Pulisic have the potential to become a Maertins from Sarri's Napoli type striker?🤔

Abraham  definitely has good hold-up play, the thing that worry's me  is that he needs lots of chances. He's not that clinical. But I do agree that we should give him a chance,especially with the ban. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, fester said:

If the ban stands, which I sort of hope it does (to both get it out the way and give youth a chance), then I am OK with giving Tammy and Batman a go.  Both good finishers, but can either of them provide the sort of hold-up play required?  Alternatively does Pulisic have the potential to become a Maertins from Sarri's Napoli type striker?🤔

I dont think pulisic has the eye for goal to play there. 

 

4 minutes ago, DidierDrogbalala said:

I would go for Belotti, he has all the tools to play in the PL and he seems like a great leader wich we need so badly.

I also like Milik from Napoli, that Haller guy from Frankfurt was quite good also.

So for me next season i would to see , Belotti ,Batman and Abraham wich give us a lot of different options.

Belotti seems to put his injury worries behind him and finished the season strongly, 7 goals in last 10 games. Im still a bit unsure though on whether he was a one season wonder, although his all round game is pretty decent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny enough for the past 10 years or so we've been scoring something over 100 goals per season with the exception of Ancelloti's first year and 2013 where we went nearer 150. What killed us this year in particular were all those scoreless games. A good part of it came down to Sarriball not working in the attacking third of the pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Hazard goes which looks likely and the ban sticks we are going to really struggle for goals, but to be honest I’d rather give younger players a go than buy another flop anyway, we don’t have as much pull as we used to we aren’t getting any top striker that comes on the market, another coin will, we should ask costa to come back and let them keep morata, he is the only good striker we have had after drogs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EmeraldBlue said:

Funny enough for the past 10 years or so we've been scoring something over 100 goals per season with the exception of Ancelloti's first year and 2013 where we went nearer 150. What killed us this year in particular were all those scoreless games. A good part of it came down to Sarriball not working in the attacking third of the pitch.

...... and the lack of goals from midfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Higuain has been ok for half a season, I'd extend his stay for next season personally as you can see the clever movement and finishing he has.

The team overall needs better technical players who fit Sarri's style of football to help support the attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparantly we have triggered the extension in Girouds contract and intend to have him lead the line next season with Tammy as our reserve. According to Simon Johnson and Telegraph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sindre said:

Apparantly we have triggered the extension in Girouds contract and intend to have him lead the line next season with Tammy as our reserve. According to Simon Johnson and Telegraph.

Chelsea had already triggered the extension... the way I read it, this is a 1 year extension on top of that. So 2 years for Giroud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

Chelsea had already triggered the extension... the way I read it, this is a 1 year extension on top of that. So 2 years for Giroud.

Jesus I hope not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Jesus I hope not

I'm guessing that this is done with the understanding that he can leave if he gets a decent offer. He wasn't all that keen to be here another year, let alone 2.

 Telefoot are the ones  reporting it. And I've already seen them quoted two different ways. 

They may just be saying that his extension was picked up, which we already knew was happening. 

Edited by Skinnedy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

We laughed at Arsenal for having a prime Giroud as their main striker years ago and now we are facing going into a season with a over the hill version.

Jesus wept Chelsea 

What is the alternative? Spend 35+m on Higuain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our striker situation is pretty dire when you look at it

We have Giroud who is turning 33 soon who has scored a total of 5 Premier League goals for us in 1 and a half seasons

We have a 31 year old Higuain on loan who's quite clearly past his best and managed 5 goals in 18 games

We have Bats who's managed 9 goals in 36 games this season

Then we have Abraham, while he's had a great season for Villa, there's a huge gap in quality between the Championship and Premier League. When he played in the League, he managed 5 goals in 31 games

 

You then take away Hazard and we simply don't have any sort of goal scoring threat. Loftus-Cheek is out for a while, Hudson-Odoi is out for a while, it's going to take Pulisic a while to adjust to the League and both Willian and Pedro have shown they simply aren't good enough anymore who will both be another year older being 32 and 31

If we don't get this transfer ban frozen and are unable to sign anyone then we could potentially seriously struggle next season as our attack will be seriously average. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should really be looking at doing our utmost to get this transfer ban frozen which is a real possibility

We should then aggressively be pursuing players like Werner and Dybala

Both could potentially be signed, Dybala scored 26 goals in one season before he got moved out of position to accommodate Ronaldo and Werner has the potential to grow into a top striker

You then have outside options like Martial and Icardi, Martial could be an excellent player in the right conditions and would be perfect in Sarri's system and while Icardi is a dick, he's in his prime and one of the best strikers in the world 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sparkz said:

Our striker situation is pretty dire when you look at it

We have Giroud who is turning 33 soon who has scored a total of 5 Premier League goals for us in 1 and a half seasons

We have a 31 year old Higuain on loan who's quite clearly past his best and managed 5 goals in 18 games

We have Bats who's managed 9 goals in 36 games this season

Then we have Abraham, while he's had a great season for Villa, there's a huge gap in quality between the Championship and Premier League. When he played in the League, he managed 5 goals in 31 games

 

You then take away Hazard and we simply don't have any sort of goal scoring threat. Loftus-Cheek is out for a while, Hudson-Odoi is out for a while, it's going to take Pulisic a while to adjust to the League and both Willian and Pedro have shown they simply aren't good enough anymore who will both be another year older being 32 and 31

If we don't get this transfer ban frozen and are unable to sign anyone then we could potentially seriously struggle next season as our attack will be seriously average. 

Anyone but Higuain & still don’t understand why we have renewed Giroud’s contract. 

Dropped the ball on both Piatek & Jovic in Jan, the former has scored 13 league goals in 18 league starts for Milan & will only get better. He has replaced Higuain who could only manage 5 league goals in 13 starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...