mad_mac

Chelsea's next manager - evergreen post

8 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Lamps set to sign extension to stay on with Derby: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11696/11742337/frank-lampard-in-talks-to-extend-derby-contract-amid-chelsea-interest

Cannot say I blame him, is a big job so early in his managerial career. Roll on Rafa then lol!

I think I would prefer Bogarde over FSW as our manager :steaming:

48 minutes ago, Shug said:

My two pennies worth, and it ain’t worth anything, but

Go with Frank & Jody.

Play the youngsters.

Accept we won’t be in top four, but mid table, for a couple of seasons.

Still pretty good compared to early 80s. Some of us remember when winning the ZDS was a massive day out, or an away trip to Grimsby 

It's a nice little utopian dream you have but that just will not happen. If we Play the youngsters and are in 12th place by Xmas the fans will turn on him, there will be no acceptance of circumstances. 

48 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Lamps set to sign extension to stay on with Derby: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11696/11742337/frank-lampard-in-talks-to-extend-derby-contract-amid-chelsea-interest

Cannot say I blame him, is a big job so early in his managerial career. Roll on Rafa then lol!

It's a misleading headline, Derby are wanting to open talks to extend his contract, he's not agreed anything. 

56 minutes ago, Shug said:

My two pennies worth, and it ain’t worth anything, but

Go with Frank & Jody.

Play the youngsters.

Accept we won’t be in top four, but mid table, for a couple of seasons.

Still pretty good compared to early 80s. Some of us remember when winning the ZDS was a massive day out, or an away trip to Grimsby 

I really dislike it when people say "it was worse in the 80s"

It cost f**k all to attend a game then as well. Everything is relative. The 80s are in the past. 

If the club is going to be happy to be mid table for 2-3 years, what do you think the match going fans will think - I imagine they won't go anymore (when it's £60 for a ticket). What would our sponsors think? We won't get much TV revenue either. We could completely collapse as a big club. No guarantee we will ever compete for trophies again. 

Maybe that's ok. But I'd rather we beat Tottenham most seasons than trade it in for an away trip to Grimsby. 

1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

It doesn't say he's set to sign anywhere?

Probably just Derby trying to keep their man asset and offer him a bigger deal knowing what's very likely going to come. I don't see Lampard extending there if he's offered Chelsea.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bisright1 said:

It cost f**k all to attend a game then as well. Everything is relative. The 80s are in the past. 

If the club is going to be happy to be mid table for 2-3 years, what do you think the match going fans will think - I imagine they won't go anymore (when it's £60 for a ticket). What would our sponsors think? We won't get much TV revenue either. We could completely collapse as a big club. No guarantee we will ever compete for trophies again. 

Maybe that's ok. But I'd rather we beat Tottenham most seasons than trade it in for an away trip to Grimsby. 

I was there when we were sh1t.

I spent hundreds back then (thousands in today’s money) travelling to all away games when fans were treated by society and cops as nothing. 

Match going fans are irrelevant today with the millions from Sky. 

As long as we dont get FSW noth8bg else matters

Edited by Shug

Frank Lampard AGREES to begin his Premier League managerial career at Chelsea after receiving assurances from Roman Abramovich. 

- @DuncanCastles Sunday Times

5 hours ago, dkw said:

It's a misleading headline, Derby are wanting to open talks to extend his contract, he's not agreed anything. 

Not that misleading because it is being solidly reported across all media outlets that we have made no formal approach. 

Fits with our lastminute.com modus operandi. Derby aren't gonna wait for ever and neither is Lampard. Not should they.

Ball is in Roman's court. What is he gonna do? As usual, who the fuc k knows?

5 hours ago, bisright1 said:

We beat Tottenham in the 80s and Sarri is in the past too. Get over it.

41 minutes ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

Duncan Castles reporting Roman has personally guaranteed Lamaprd at least 2 seasons 

I'm not a Castles fan but he has often been right with things regarding our club.

I also read that Sarri wants to take Jorginho and Emerson to Juve with him. Jorginho is a given but I'm not sure on Emerson. 

3 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

I'm not a Castles fan but he has often been right with things regarding our club.

I also read that Sarri wants to take Jorginho and Emerson to Juve with him. Jorginho is a given but I'm not sure on Emerson. 

We can't let either go, not with a transfer ban. I don't fancy going into next season with the midfield being Kante, Mount, Bakayoko and Drinkwater.

I'm not sure Jorginho would follow Sarri again anyway. He said it would be a betrayal if Sarri left for Juventus, so unless he is full of it, I don't think he will leave.

19 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

We can't let either go, not with a transfer ban. I don't fancy going into next season with the midfield being Kante, Mount, Bakayoko and Drinkwater.

I'm not sure Jorginho would follow Sarri again anyway. He said it would be a betrayal if Sarri left for Juventus, so unless he is full of it, I don't think he will leave.

I'm in two minds as well. Watching Jorginho in the Europa League final he was just superb. At one point Ozil was sticking him to him like glue to stop us passing out. Kovacic dropped in to take the ball from the centre backs instead but had no options. Jorginho saw this and made a very clever run that took Ozil with him and opened up a passing lane for us to move the ball through Kante. Then linked up with him on the next line. That's superb intelligence.

My challenge with him is again without the ball. It's the same issue I had with Cesc. He's a turnstyle without the ball in that deep role and slooow. Makes it hard to play a high press because if they break the press they've exposed the backline straight away as Jorginho can do nothing. Kante on the other hand is so good in those situations. 

The key thing for me in the end is that next year has to be about the long term. We're not winning much if anything with a ban and no Hazard. If Jorginho is a long term feature in Frank's plans then he stays but if he is going to build the team around Kante then he goes. Btw I still think it's possible to have a midfield that doesn't have Jorginho, Bakayoko or Drinkwater. e.g. Kante, Ruben, Kovacic, Barkley, Mount, Ampadu. I'd be happy with that next season. Not sure about others.

Whilst it’s too easy for us to over hype some of our young players they clearly are extremely talented and are highly rated by international managers. Most of the  academy products being talked about as being close to breaking through have all been included in or close to their respective international teams.

For me Ampadu was ready last season to be considered and yes I know he had some unfortunate injuries but he is a huge talent who has the ability to play at the back but his speed of thought  , ability to tackle ,pass, close down space and crucially concentrate for a whole game suggests to me that his natural position is in midfield.

Mount may need  a little time to find his feet but everything I have ever seen from him suggests once he does indeed find his feet’s a level  he quickly adapts. I am looking forward to seeing him in the U21 UEFA tournament and hope he is the star that I think he can be.

Tammy has gained full caps and again will be at the U21 tournament. I can’t make my mind up about him but he probably will be at the club next season maybe not initially as a starter but once he gets a chance he has to grasp it with both hands. 

Tomori again I am far from sure about but there’s no question he did well at Derby so Frank & Jody will be well aware of his talent.

CHO. He could be the real jewel in the crown but how will he overcome his injury ?Fingers amongst other things crossed on that.

Back to midfield. I personally think playing Kante deeper with Jorginho released from his current defensive role is far more attractive with one off Barkley and in time a RLC would be interesting.

Drinkwater hopefully for his sanity and indeed the club will be gone but we still have the likes of Van Ginkel  who hopefully is over his injury and in an emergency you have Luiz who is more than capable 

I personally don’t think our midfield options are too shabby at all.

14 hours ago, bisright1 said:

What would our sponsors think? We won't get much TV revenue either. We could completely collapse as a big club. No guarantee we will ever compete for trophies again.

Who cares what our sponsors think ?. If we collapsed as a big club I would still support the club would you ?. If we never won another trophy so what I had to wait 26 years before I saw us win a trophy in 1997. The modern football fan only thinks of money and glory but without the passion. Some of us our proud of our history doesn't matter if it was watching a poor team in a run down stadium it's my Chelsea roots and I'm not going to forget it.

9 hours ago, just said:

We beat Tottenham in the 80s and Sarri is in the past too. Get over it.

What?

Didn't mention Sarri. He is in the past, I'm over it. I'm onto giving lampard time and I suspect you won't be willing to give him that if the football isn't to your liking after 6 months. 

I responded to someone saying they'd be happy with mediocrity for a couple of seasons because it was good in the 80s.

1) tickets are too expensive to be happy with mediocrity

2) I think if we sit in mid table for 2 years, we will sit there for 5. 

15 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Lampard's agent: "how can I get Frank more money?  I know I'll put a story out there that we're negotiating a new contract with Derby"

Derby CEO::  "I know how we can get more out of Chelsea for Frank, we'll put out a story saying we're negotiating a new contract with him"

Lazy journo:  "Oh look here's a story I can write about."

Get real guys, it's all just transfer foreplay...

3 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Who cares what our sponsors think ?. If we collapsed as a big club I would still support the club would you ?. If we never won another trophy so what I had to wait 26 years before I saw us win a trophy in 1997. The modern football fan only thinks of money and glory but without the passion. Some of us our proud of our history doesn't matter if it was watching a poor team in a run down stadium it's my Chelsea roots and I'm not going to forget it.

Of course I'd still support the club.

However I'm not going to support the club making decisions that lead to that happening. That's not what a fan does. Would you rather we win trophies or win f**k all. If it's the latter, fine. 

Stop trying to have a dick measuring contest over who can accept the most miserable season. It's pointless. All of us want to win trophies, none of us want to see us compete in the championship. If you do, then what are you supporting.