mad_mac

Chelsea's next manager - evergreen post

2 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Not forgetting Joey Cole is already at the club with Ferreira, Tore Andre Flo, Cudicini and Hilario. 

Hopefully things won't all be buddy-buddy. A gaffer should have people around him or her who complement the boss, and are not afraid of a healthy exchange of thoughts and ideas. Someone should not be afraid to say the boss is wrong about something. Will being friends help or hinder?

BTW how many of our current players have played with Lampard? It's not unknown that a co-worker who gets a promotion is not accepted as the boss. Not sure how this would apply in a football team, though.

I love Frank but I just fear this will end badly and I don't want it to. Next season will be a tough one I do hope if we struggling in mid table fans don't start booing. We probably have a boost at the start then go flat and struggle. Let's hope we don't do a United.

I love Frank but I just fear this will end badly and I don't want it to. Next season will be a tough one I do hope if we struggling in mid table fans don't start booing. We probably have a boost at the start then go flat and struggle. Let's hope we don't do a United.

34 minutes ago, Valerie said:

BTW how many of our current players have played with Lampard? It's not unknown that a co-worker who gets a promotion is not accepted as the boss. Not sure how this would apply in a football team, though.

Dave, Luiz and Willian I think. To some extent RLC/Abraham etc. 

35 minutes ago, Brutos said:

I love Frank but I just fear this will end badly and I don't want it to.

In the Abramovic era every manager has ended badly apart from Hiddink. Its like life is always followed by death.

52 minutes ago, robdog said:

Just for the people that were too young to remember, this is what FSW said about Chelsea

D97CM-kU0AA0OoP.jpg

I forgot how much of a f*cking mercenary he was to say those things, then go to work for us.  Thanks for the reminder.  

That's a far more plastic, passionless, soulless maneuver than anything at Chelsea.

The only thing he's suited for is delivering tapas to my table.

2 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

I forgot how much of a f*cking mercenary he was to say those things, then go to work for us.  Thanks for the reminder.  

That's a far more plastic, passionless, soulless maneuver than anything at Chelsea.

Here is my favorite FSW moment ever

D97PNmEUEAAm6aA.jpg

1 minute ago, Womble said:

If Frank doesn't feel he's ready for the job then I think he's smart enough to not take it on...

Would never happen, any championship manager, no matter who they are, would never turn down a top 3 premier league club job offer.

1 hour ago, Boston Blue said:

Wouldn't trust that f**ker to deliver tapas to your table mate, he'll eat it on the way over!!

1 minute ago, Brutos said:

So if Frank takes it was which is pretty much certain what's the expectations for next season? Improvement on this or just making top 4 again?

I would say challenge for top 4, rather than finishing top 4 and a good cup run.

Not too much to ask for. Anything below 6th would be disappointing for me.

Pat Nevin thinks top four and a good run in the CL would be a decent season. From the way he said it, i got the impression that anything less will mean Frank's job will be on the line...eeek!   Top 6 and just bringing back the feelgood factor and getting everyone (fans, players, maager, board) all pulling together again would be good enough for me.

Edited by Dixons

8 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Anyone think he will have Terry as assistant?

No. He will bring Jody with him. Be crazy not to, its the only person he has experience working with in a managerial team.

2 hours ago, coco said:

In the Abramovic era every manager has ended badly apart from Hiddink. Its like life is always followed by death.

But Claudio did get a wonderful, emotional ending.

3 hours ago, Slojo said:

Can't get optimistic about Frank in charge I'm afraid, I think we're robbing him of his managerial development giving him an offer he can't refuse. 

No doubt the players would love it, but as soon as things turn sour what then? We've seen it time and time before but Frank lacks the experience compared to all the other managers, even AVB. 

can understand the apprehension of some over Lampard's lack of managerial experience but there are other areas of experience that can be tapped into as a player at the highest level. He played under a plethora of top managers, all with differing personalities, tactics, training drills and managerial styles - From Redknapp and Ranieri who shaped his development, to Mourinho who ingrained a winning mentality, to the likes of Hiddink and Ancelotti who were masters at managing big personalities and dressing rooms. He will have learned a huge amount, both positive and negative, from the experiences within his playing career.

His experience at Chelsea also has to count for something. It's not as straightforward as 'he knows the club and the fans' it goes far deeper than that. He understands from experience the external, intense media scrutiny that surrounds this club because so little information is provided into the open for journalists, creating constant destabilising speculation. He's experienced first hand the hectic nature of this football club in general, seemingly spiralling from crisis to celebration, from disaster to delirium. He's experienced the build up to big games, cup finals, champions league games, etc, the dressing room environment before and after such games and the experience of both winning and losing in those situations. 

I'm fully aware that a top playing career doesn't translate to a top managerial career but there are experiences that a top player can call upon that can really help the cause.

1 hour ago, Brutos said:

So if Frank takes it was which is pretty much certain what's the expectations for next season? Improvement on this or just making top 4 again?

I don't have any expectations at all.

We have a manager coming in with one year of managerial experience in the Championship.  Our leading scorer/best player is gone.  We can't buy anyone.  Our three best young academy players are out, with CHO & RLC not anticipated back fully until the holiday period (ruptured achilles' take a long time to come back from, no matter what rehabbing pictures our players post on line), and our one incoming new player will have to adapt to a new team and new league.  Plus, the returning players will now have to play their third different system/formation in three years.

I'd love to see us in the Top 4 with a good run in the Cups and CL.  But I'm lowering my expectations.  Whatever we achieve for success will a bonus for me.  

What I am looking forward to is a change in operating philosophy, to see how Frank flushes out his backroom staff, how Cech and Frank work together, and to see the improvements Frank makes as manager as he learns, and how the players respond to him as a manager.

I expect it will be frustrating at times, but I know there is an end game.  I know that this staff will be flexible, and not afraid to change or adapt when things aren't working.  I know that Frank's priority will be to win a match, not force a system down the player's throats.  For those reasons alone, no matter the results,  it will be a more positive season than the last.

Edited by Boston Blue