Jump to content


mad_mac

Chelsea's next manager - evergreen post


Recommended Posts

Personally, I'm sick to death with the way this club is being run. Do I like Sarri, personally? No, probably not. I don't think tactically speaking he's a good manager, however I do think he's been treated shabbily by the club. And we keep doing it again and again. Let's face it, we treat our managers badly. Period. I want consistency, I want a Klopp or Pep type figure at the club. And I honestly think this is our last chance to get stability, that's why I think our next choice of manager is so crucial. Given our position and options, I think we have to go for Lampard, simply for the fact I can actually buy that he could be here for the long haul and actually cares so much about Chelsea.

Appointing Rafa would be madness for the simple fact we fans don't like him. At the end of the day, I'd argue this matters most, and that's also why I'm not completely against a Mourinho return. Yes, I know he's a grumpy sod now, but I still believe deep down he's one of the best managers in the world, and that he always did care about us even though his behaviour sometimes suggests otherwise. Chelsea and Jose are Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in football form. Haha.

So yeah, has to be Lampard or Jose for me. I won't readily accept anyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we get Rafa then you just know that the fanbase is going to be extra negative and whiny from the first game of the season till the last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CFC-Forever said:

Personally, I'm sick to death with the way this club is being run. Do I like Sarri, personally? No, probably not. I don't think tactically speaking he's a good manager, however I do think he's been treated shabbily by the club. And we keep doing it again and again. Let's face it, we treat our managers badly. Period. I want consistency, I want a Klopp or Pep type figure at the club. And I honestly think this is our last chance to get stability, that's why I think our next choice of manager is so crucial. Given our position and options, I think we have to go for Lampard, simply for the fact I can actually buy that he could be here for the long haul and actually cares so much about Chelsea.

Appointing Rafa would be madness for the simple fact we fans don't like him. At the end of the day, I'd argue this matters most, and that's also why I'm not completely against a Mourinho return. Yes, I know he's a grumpy sod now, but I still believe deep down he's one of the best managers in the world, and that he always did care about us even though his behaviour sometimes suggests otherwise. Chelsea and Jose are Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in football form. Haha.

So yeah, has to be Lampard or Jose for me. I won't readily accept anyone else.

I agree that we have treated some managers badly.  But how did we treat Sarri badly?  Sarri has chosen to leave the club for Juventus.  For whatever combination of reasons, he chose to leave us.  It was his decision to go.  

We have no idea whether Lampard is the guy to manage us long term.  He has the grand total of year of managing experience in the Championship. Everyone was screaming for Manchester United to give OGS the job permanently after his first 3 months, then things went down hill.  He knew United inside & out too.  That doesn't mean he has the man management skills, tactical abilities, or feel for how to manage in the Champions League.  It's all an unknown.  He may be great.  He may be in over his head.  He may be mediocre.  It's a risk and we don't know how he'll do.  Chelsea under Abramovich are not exactly an ideal place for on-the-job managerial training.  

If we all use our hearts to choose the next manager, Lampard is the unanimous choice.  But we need to use our heads.  If the heads decide Lampard is the right guy, then let's run with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

I agree that we have treated some managers badly.  But how did we treat Sarri badly?  Sarri has chosen to leave the club for Juventus.  For whatever combination of reasons, he chose to leave us.  It was his decision to go.  

We have no idea whether Lampard is the guy to manage us long term.  He has the grand total of year of managing experience in the Championship. Everyone was screaming for Manchester United to give OGS the job permanently after his first 3 months, then things went down hill.  He knew United inside & out too.  That doesn't mean he has the man management skills, tactical abilities, or feel for how to manage in the Champions League.  It's all an unknown.  He may be great.  He may be in over his head.  He may be mediocre.  It's a risk and we don't know how he'll do.  Chelsea under Abramovich are not exactly an ideal place for on-the-job managerial training.  

If we all use our hearts to choose the next manager, Lampard is the unanimous choice.  But we need to use our heads.  If the heads decide Lampard is the right guy, then let's run with it. 

Me sticking up for Sarri is rather ironic, because I don't think he's the right man for us personally, but I can't deny that he's been treated unfairly. First of all, we threatened Sarri with the sack WAY too soon, even for us. And the rumours never really left. I believe that Sarri was told if we lost the Europa League final he would be fired, and he argued in a press conference that 10 months work shouldn't be based on one 90 minute match and said it wasn't right. (I'm not 100% sure if the board actually said they'd fire him, but I believe the rumours that it happened).

People keep talking about Ole going downhill, but has he, really? I mean, he can't be classed as a failure at United just yet, can he? I know things don't look great, but I think he's in a decent position now. The pressure is off United now. I can see him doing okay with them. I don't think it's the same situation with Lampard. Given our transfer ban and Frank's lack of experience, I think we'd all be expecting a rather average season with even top 4 seeming like a bit of a pipe dream. Yes, I'm sure the board would be demanding a top 4 finish, but I don't think if we missed it he'd be fired because we, the fans, would NEVER turn on him (especially not under these circumstances). In this case, I can't see Roman pulling the trigger and it would help Lampard to relax into his new role and grow along with the team.

If we're using our heads...who do we go for? Really? Lampard and Jose are the only options in my view because they're the only two managers who I think would take the position and do a good job. Who else can we go for who'd be willing to manage us given our current predicament? I mean, I know to a certain extent we're downplaying things, but we're in a full blown crisis right now. People don't like to hear it, but for many portions of the season Hazard carried us on his back, and even with his help it's only because our rivals fell apart that we even made top 4. We can't sign any players. We're in the fertiliser. Plain and simple. We need to be realistic with who we can appoint at this stage of the game. I think Lampard and Jose would relish the challenge, and that's why we have to appoint either one of them (preferably Lampard), in my opinion.

Edited by CFC-Forever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, CFC-Forever said:

Me sticking up for Sarri is rather ironic, because I don't think he's the right man for us personally, but I can't deny that he's been treated unfairly. First of all, we threatened Sarri with the sack WAY too soon, even for us. And the rumours never really left. I believe that Sarri was told if we lost the Europa League final he would be fired, and he argued in a press conference that 10 months work shouldn't be based on one 90 minute match and said it wasn't right. (I'm not 100% sure if the board actually said they'd fire him, but I believe the rumours that it happened).

People keep talking about Ole going downhill, but has he, really? I mean, he can't be classed as a failure at United just yet, can he? I know things don't look great, but I think he's in a decent position now. The pressure is off United now. I can see him doing okay with them. I don't think it's the same situation with Lampard. Given our transfer ban and Frank's lack of experience, I think we'd all be expecting a rather average season with even top 4 seeming like a bit of a pipe dream. Yes, I'm sure the board would be demanding a top 4 finish, but I don't think if we missed it he'd be fired because we, the fans, would NEVER turn on him (especially not under these circumstances). In this case, I can't see Roman pulling the trigger and it would help Lampard to relax into his new role and grow along with the team.

If we're using our heads...who do we go for? Really? Lampard and Jose are the only options in my view because they're the only two managers who I think would take the position and do a good job. Who else can we go for who'd be willing to manage us given our current predicament? I mean, I know to a certain extent we're downplaying things, but we're in a full blown crisis right now. People don't like to hear it, but for many portions of the season Hazard carried us on his back, and even with his help it's only because our rivals fell apart that we even made top 4. We can't sign any players. We're in the fertiliser. Plain and simple. We need to be realistic with who we can appoint at this stage of the game. I think Lampard and Jose would relish the challenge, and that's why we have to appoint either one of them (preferably Lampard), in my opinion.

We didn’t and aren’t sacking him though, this is all on Sarri. Even when we through a period of poor results, it was unusually quiet with no leaks regarding his status. I don’t think Roman wants to get rid of him, rather it’s a case of Sarri leveraging Juve’s interest in him. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ducavis said:

We didn’t and aren’t sacking him though, this is all on Sarri. Even when we through a period of poor results, it was unusually quiet with no leaks regarding his status. I don’t think Roman wants to get rid of him, rather it’s a case of Sarri leveraging Juve’s interest in him. 

 

Yeah, I don't think we were actually going to sack him, either, I just don't think the rumours helped. But honestly, a large part of me is glad he's going. I can't even begin to imagine him as a long term manager for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, drjonesy1994 said:

What's was the story behind this? Never heard of this 

Tottenham didn't like a Chelsea coach being close to Tottenham players. There was a complaint and so he had to pick Chelsea or England. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CFC-Forever said:

First of all, we threatened Sarri with the sack WAY too soon, even for us. And the rumours never really left. I believe that Sarri was told if we lost the Europa League final he would be fired, and he argued in a press conference that 10 months work shouldn't be based on one 90 minute match and said it wasn't right. (I'm not 100% sure if the board actually said they'd fire him, but I believe the rumours that it happened).

People keep talking about Ole going downhill, but has he, really? I mean, he can't be classed as a failure at United just yet, can he? I know things don't look great, but I think he's in a decent position now. The pressure is off United now. I can see him doing okay with them. I don't think it's the same situation with Lampard. Given our transfer ban and Frank's lack of experience, I think we'd all be expecting a rather average season with even top 4 seeming like a bit of a pipe dream. Yes, I'm sure the board would be demanding a top 4 finish, but I don't think if we missed it he'd be fired because we, the fans, would NEVER turn on him (especially not under these circumstances). In this case, I can't see Roman pulling the trigger and it would help Lampard to relax into his new role and grow along with the team.

If we're using our heads...who do we go for? Really? Lampard and Jose are the only options in my view because they're the only two managers who I think would take the position and do a good job. Who else can we go for who'd be willing to manage us given our current predicament? I mean, I know to a certain extent we're downplaying things, but we're in a full blown crisis right now. People don't like to hear it, but for many portions of the season Hazard carried us on his back, and even with his help it's only because our rivals fell apart that we even made top 4. We can't sign any players. We're in the fertiliser. Plain and simple. We need to be realistic with who we can appoint at this stage of the game. I think Lampard and Jose would relish the challenge, and that's why we have to appoint either one of them (preferably Lampard), in my opinion.

We don't know if Sarri was ever threatened with the sack.  It's been reported that he would have been sacked if we had lost to Spurs, but that was a media report, and I believe very little about what is written about what is allegedly happening within the club.  I don't know of a club that is as secretive about its inner workings than Chelsea.  What we also don't know is what his mandate was.  If he was told upon hire to integrate the kids and didn't, then I'm sure the club would take issue.  

I think a certain vocal group of match going and Twitter using supporters treated Sarri far worse than the club did.

OGS brought his "shiny happy people" routine to Utd which lifted the dark cloud of Mourinho.  The player's performance was a lot better until he (coincidentally) was given the job permanently, then he was unable to keep the performances high.  I'm not saying that would happen with Frank, I'm saying that "knowing the club inside & out" does not guarantee that your team will perform well every game.

I don't know who we go for.  That's the problem here.  Every name linked has issues.  I have been on the "Sarri out" side of the fence for the most part, and I still have some issues with some aspects of the way he coaches/manages.  But when you look back on the season, we finished 3rd, we got to two cup finals, and we won one of them.  That's a really good season, and I don't believe any other manager would have finished higher than 3rd with what we had given how much better City & Liverpool were this season.  If today's Sarri were on the list of potential candidates with Lampard, Allegri, Ten Hag, Espirito-Santo, Gracia, etc, we'd all look at what Sarri did and say he's the guy for us.  This is the first time under Roman that a permanent coach has chosen to leave us, and it doesn't appear we were all that prepared for it.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont get why everyone all of a sudden is complaining that it was Sarri's decision that he decided to leave! Would you lot have being happier if he was sacked instead?

I say good for him, that he is leaving in his own terms, fans have treated him appallingly and even after getting 3rd and winning uefa cup he does not seem to get any recognition.

I dont see anyone else available other than Lampard. Dont want rafa nor Mourinho that would be a negative appointment and very short term yet again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess there is 2 aspects of football management:

1) Man Management 

2) Tactical / Abilty to improve / change the quality of play

With OGS, he clearly relied on his man management to get the players firing again. It worked for a period but he hasn’t improved them tactically. Even their win against PSG was down to United taking their 2 chances. It was not down to OGS tactics or United’s quality of play. 

Clearly from his time with derby, Frank has shown an ability to connect with players and motivate. I guess our and the clubs concern might be whether he is able to improve us tactically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Gentian said:

I dont get why everyone all of a sudden is complaining that it was Sarri's decision that he decided to leave! Would you lot have being happier if he was sacked instead?

I say good for him, that he is leaving in his own terms, fans have treated him appallingly and even after getting 3rd and winning uefa cup he does not seem to get any recognition.

No you’re right and Sarri is leaving while his stock his high. For him, the Juve job may never come round again and he probably knows that Chelsea will sack him at some point.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Juventus sporting director Fabio Paratici is in London to resolve the last couple of stumbling blocks and finalise the release of #Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri. [Calciomercato]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Tottenham didn't like a Chelsea coach being close to Tottenham players. There was a complaint and so he had to pick Chelsea or England. 

Never knew that. Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2019 at 06:05, coco said:

Why ? It's happened before, and heading into a season of massive uncertainty he would be the kind of manager you could rely on to not let things go tits up. And don't tell me the fans wouldn't welcome him, he's proven he has thick skin, and the club do not give two hoots about the fans when it comes to managerial appointments. I'm not saying it's an appointment i would agree with, but i could see Roman going to him.

This will get me some slack maybe but by the end I learned to respect how durable and professional he was. 

He is a better shout that most of the other managers we have been linked with, if the ban sticks we won’t be bringing in a big statement manager we will save that for when we can spend the hazard money. 

So as far as a one season manager goes Benitez would probably do a decent job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JM7 said:

I guess there is 2 aspects of football management:

1) Man Management 

2) Tactical / Abilty to improve / change the quality of play

With OGS, he clearly relied on his man management to get the players firing again. It worked for a period but he hasn’t improved them tactically. Even their win against PSG was down to United taking their 2 chances. It was not down to OGS tactics or United’s quality of play. 

Clearly from his time with derby, Frank has shown an ability to connect with players and motivate. I guess our and the clubs concern might be whether he is able to improve us tactically. 

I think anyone could have done what Ole did first month. Players were released from Jose shackles. Funny about Ole is as he signed the deal to take over Utd for good, they started losing immediately. Maybe the players weren't that impressed about that move... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JM7 said:

No you’re right and Sarri is leaving while his stock his high. For him, the Juve job may never come round again and he probably knows that Chelsea will sack him at some point.  

Isn’t the Juve job more high risk to take on  at the moment? He will be walking into a job where he is an outsider; not wanted by a section of their fans because of his Napoli roots. He has to 100% win Serie A, which won’t even count for much as they have won the last 4 or so. He has to manage one of the world’s greatest players; he isn’t a legendary manager like Fergie, a legendary player like Zidane or a manager who has won lots of trophies like Allegri. He will also at a minimum have to reach at least the Quarters of the CL finals IMO and hit the other 2 targets aforementioned to keep his job.

Here with a transfer ban in place, a top 4 and getting out of our CL group will at least guarantee him his job. Will be fascinating to watch from afar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CFC-Forever said:

Personally, I'm sick to death with the way this club is being run. Do I like Sarri, personally? No, probably not. I don't think tactically speaking he's a good manager, however I do think he's been treated shabbily by the club. And we keep doing it again and again. Let's face it, we treat our managers badly. Period. I want consistency, I want a Klopp or Pep type figure at the club. And I honestly think this is our last chance to get stability, that's why I think our next choice of manager is so crucial. Given our position and options, I think we have to go for Lampard, simply for the fact I can actually buy that he could be here for the long haul and actually cares so much about Chelsea.

Appointing Rafa would be madness for the simple fact we fans don't like him. At the end of the day, I'd argue this matters most, and that's also why I'm not completely against a Mourinho return. Yes, I know he's a grumpy sod now, but I still believe deep down he's one of the best managers in the world, and that he always did care about us even though his behaviour sometimes suggests otherwise. Chelsea and Jose are Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in football form. Haha.

So yeah, has to be Lampard or Jose for me. I won't readily accept anyone else.

Jose isn't one of the best managers any more.

Appointing him in 2019 would by far be the worst decision we have made in the Roman era bar none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Valerie said:

For those who do look forward to next season: happy fixtures list day!

Can't wait, and Frank announced tomorrow as manager?.....bring it on!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Isn’t the Juve job more high risk to take on  at the moment? He will be walking into a job where he is an outsider; not wanted by a section of their fans because of his Napoli roots. He has to 100% win Serie A, which won’t even count for much as they have won the last 4 or so. He has to manage one of the world’s greatest players; he isn’t a legendary manager like Fergie, a legendary player like Zidane or a manager who has won lots of trophies like Allegri. He will also at a minimum have to reach at least the Quarters of the CL finals IMO and hit the other 2 targets aforementioned to keep his job.

Here with a transfer ban in place, a top 4 and getting out of our CL group will at least guarantee him his job. Will be fascinating to watch from afar.

He'll be gone from there by February.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...