Super Frank Lampard

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sack or Back ???  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, mm24 said:

Dont know if it's even possible, but Frank should try to walk away on good terms, gain experience somewhere else and then come back to set things right. 

Even if Frank was to get fired I don't think it would preclude him from having another go at the job years from now if he has gained experience and standing as a manager. Ultimately he would be in decent company as a failed Chelsea manager. Lets not forget we have shown the door to Jose (twice), Carlo, Conte etc.

I made up my mind at the end of last month, but this month is just confirming everything I said. This isn't going to get better, nip it in the bud now before it gets worse. Get an interim in and we might be able to salvage this season. But stick with Frank until the end and we are looking at a bottom half of the table finish easily. It's just not good enough, too many excuses and not enough quality to be shown on the pitch. 

You can boil it down to fitness, lack of quality or whatever else you want to throw, Fulham played Spurs midweek and looked sharper than we did despite having 10 men. This just isn't good enough, he needs to go. 

2 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Out of interest would you see value in Frank being shown the door to be replace by an interim like Sheva or Avram? Or do you only see value if we replace with a full time appointment?

Certainly not Shevchenko. That's the same gamble again.

Interim has served us reasonably well in the past so not opposed to that idea. It has to be better than sticking with Frank because that is only going on one direction. And that's not entirely a criticism of Lampard.  The players are just at fault.

We actually looked okay for the first part of the second half. Havertz was starting to move between the lines and was genuinely creating things, Hudson-Odoi/Pulisic were starting to drift inside in order to combine with him and Abraham. We looked like we might score. Then Lamps took both of them off (and not our makeshift holding mid who was on a booking and who had been genuinely horrendous all game)... and Leicester strolled to their deserved win.

We keep getting worse and worse. We have seven points from our last eight games (one very laboured win against a ten-man Fulham, one scarcely-deserved win against West Ham). We're three points behind a West Ham side who have 0.75 strikers and who are managed by David Moyes. We are only two points ahead of the worst Arsenal side in two generations.

How bad does it need to get?

Love Lampard, but im not sure you can defend this now. Only marginally better off than the 2015/16 season. 

There is nothing i have seen that makes me think he is a quality manager. Top 4 was a great achievement given the circumstances, but the points total wouldnt usually get top 4, 66 points is usually 5th-7th. 

The performances against the better teams have been terrible. No wins against any decent side when playing aback 4, yet that is the system we spent loads of money to get players for.

The squad we have assembled is still short and still needs more money, but how can you trust Lampard to spend more money, when none of the signings bar Thiago, have really set the league alight, most have been underwhelming. 

When there is a handful of underperforming players, then you can look at the players and say they are letting the manager down.

When most of the squad is playing poorly, you have to look at the manager.

There are no redeeming qualities to this side, we arent even one of these teams that can turn up against the big teams, but lose to bottom half teams. We arent a side that is constantly drawing games that we shouldve won. 

We beat the lower teams and get rolled over by the better teams. We are midtable.

Lampard will always be a club legend, but this job has came too early for him,and in honesty, he may never be a good wnough manager to compete for title. 

I think its curtains now for him. 

My only defence for him a couple of games ago was that there are no managers out there. However, the rate at which we are declining, I’ll happily take avram as an interim manager even. Lampard looks lost and it reflects on the players as they look lost as a team.

Edited by Frankie8Lampard

1 minute ago, loz said:

Certainly not Shevchenko. That's the same gamble again.

Interim has served us reasonably well in the past so not opposed to that idea. It has to be better than sticking with Frank because that is only going on one direction. And that's not entirely a criticism of Lampard.  The players are just at fault.

The problem with an interim is that they often don't improve things much. Great example being Hiddink's second spell. On the other hand if they over achieve (e.g. RDM) the club then has to decide whether the stick with them, or still go with the long term plan.

If we go with an interim I suspect it will happen straight away and will suggest that the club still believes it can salvage something from this season (e.g. top 4). I'm not convinced that is possible though, based on how woefully out of form we are at present.

If the board believes top 4 is gone they may stick with Frank until they have a permanent replacement lined up.

Just now, forbzy said:

The problem with an interim is that they often don't improve things much. Great example being Hiddink's second spell. On the other hand if they over achieve (e.g. RDM) the club then has to decide whether the stick with them, or still go with the long term plan.

If we go with an interim I suspect it will happen straight away and will suggest that the club still believes it can salvage something from this season (e.g. top 4). I'm not convinced that is possible though, based on how woefully out of form we are at present.

If the board believes top 4 is gone they may stick with Frank until they have a permanent replacement lined up.

Scheva interim for me because I think he will at a minimum stabilise things, report back to RA on the reality of what's going on and leave in the summer. 

If an interim gets us to 8th in the league from here I'd say that's an improvement on where lampard is taking us. 

2 minutes ago, forbzy said:

That's literally the only example you have of it not going well, that's perfect cherry picking and revising history. 

4/5 times interim managers have worked well in our favour. And let's be fair here, Hiddink did improve the team even if it wasn't by much. 

Also, interim managers are not just restricted to Avram Grant and Shevchenko, you don't know who we will get in. But there are plenty who can come here who have a better CV than Frank Lampard. 

Edited by Slojo

It's getting worse every game, I would be surprised Roman will decide to sack Lampard. 

In the last months our football doesn't change, we play the same way and nobody can understand how our buildup supposed to be going. Ball movement from side to side it's the basic, but we're not creative enough when the ball enters into the middle or attacking zone. We have enough of quality to make things happen, but it doesn't work. Maybe the players needs their time or maybe Lampard should work a way out for them. 

We clearly don't know how to defend as a unit, every pass breaks our line. It seems like only Kante knows how to steal balls or close down the pass route. We're giving too much space to our opponent and we're not physical enough. We must be aggressive on the ball, we have to look like animals that are looking for the ball, just like Jose said, we can't win games if we won't be bad boys. 

Current situation is worrying, we still haven't beat a team from top 10. We're going down and far from the top 4, if we won't get there then it will be a huge failure. Changes need to happen, maybe Lampard should think more and get anything that will shock the league or he will lose his spot. 

Just now, Slojo said:

That's literally the only example you have of it not going well, that's perfect cherry picking and revionism. 

4/5 times interim managers have worked well in our favour. And let's be fair here, Hiddink did improve the team even if it wasn't by much. 

Also, interim managers are not just restricted to Avram Grant and Shevchenko, you don't know who we will get in. But there are plenty who can come here who have a better CV than Frank Lampard. 

We didn't get relegated. 5/5 interims have worked for me 

Kovavic, Jorginho, Gilmour and even Kante in my opinion are not holding midfielders. 

It's cost us this season that we haven't brought someone in and we bought luxury players. So many times we've looked so open this year. That midfield tonight was so lightweight. Our main structure of play comes from overlapping fullbacks for the cross and we bought Timo Werner? 

I so wanted lampard to succeed but I think it's all done now. I hope we don't bring in an interim. Bring in someone like Tuchel now. See if he can turn it around. This league is so open and top 4 is still up for grabs. Look at utd last season. 

It's a shame it's going to end like this but I think Lampard should of surrounded himself with a more established backroom staff as a young manager and I really hope he learns from his mistakes and gets a chance elsewhere. 

And no, even I don't think Sheva is a good option. 

I accept that, that probably sealed Lampards future at the club. If not now then at the end of the season because we are not getting top 4 and that's always been the minimum requirement to keep your job.

Lampard also did seem fairly defeated post-match saying "the pressure intensified a while ago now" among other things so I have a feeling he knows what's coming.

2 minutes ago, Slojo said:

That's literally the only example you have of it not going well, that's perfect cherry picking and revising history. 

OK so I will give some other examples. Benitez did win us the Europa but did he really improve us from where we were when RDM left? I would argue not. We lost some atrocious league games, failed to win the World Club Championship, and lost to Swansea in the League Cup semi.

Avram Grant inherited an amazing team that had come close to a domestic treble the season before. That team was almost capable of winning without a manager, they had so many leaders. Yes we made the final in Moscow but we lost to an average Spurs team in the league cup, and Barnsley in the FA Cup.  

I agree Hiddink at least steadied the squad when he took over the second time. But it was a forgettable second half of the season too. Conte then took basically the same team and won the league one year later.