Super Frank Lampard

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sack or Back ???  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Remodez said:

What I will say is that we don't look as bad as Arsenal did during their rut under Areta. If they can turn it around I see no reason why we can't.

Turned what around though? they beat West Brom and Brighton, their win agasint us all bit it deserved was still lucky in terms of the goals they scored. Even then we could of snatched a point. As soon as Arsenal lose again everyone will be Arteta out again, the football under Arteta at Arsenal is boring, defensive. At least under Lampard we play some decent attacking football. The problem Lampard has is, anytime we play anyone half decent we struggle.

6 minutes ago, Remodez said:

What I will say is that we don't look as bad as Arsenal did during their rut under Areta. If they can turn it around I see no reason why we can't.

They changed their lineup whereas we already have been through playing most of our squad, we have no more options unless we buy again in this window

Hard to argue with the lampard out section  now, I will never call for a managers head, but its difficult to have faith in Lampard when he has no history on his resume to say we are backing a winning manager. 

That being said, he has to get the full season, its that tight at the moment anything could happen. 

The question is whether Roman thinks another manager would get better results from this set of players, and also whether Lampard is even a manager capable of winning the league. 

I know we all like to mock ole and arteta, but both of them have better records in games against the traditional big 6 than Lampard. That is a bit of a red flag for me, because its points to the manager not being good enough, rather than the players, especially this season. 

Big month coming up. Fulham, and then Leicester and Wolves, 2 good sides, that we will need to play well to win. 

From the optimism in the summer, im pretty down beat at the moment.

If Frank goes I fear for our young players chances.

If the club are going to sack him it will be right away or at the end of the season imo.

2 weeks before our next league game, window open, ideal time for a new manager to bed in.

Edited by axman2526

13 minutes ago, Slojo said:

But all those players did step up, that's how they won things. At some point, those players did step up, for those 4 managers I mentioned. Sarri got into two cup finals and won one. I'm not saying it didn't fall apart after. Frank has won nothing and the players don't step up when it matters, even if you look at our form last season (again, not downplaying what Frank did) but after November it was W L W L D W, completely bipolar performances. Luckily Giroud and Pulisic turned up after the COVID break and we got the important points. 

This is what I'm getting at, why is it now do we decide to give Frank the luxury of longterm management and stability? It looks like a very weird decision considering all the other managers at least won things. 

I'm hoping he turns it around, but I don't think he does, I'm expecting him to get the axe before January ends. 

This is my thinking aswell, we simply dont know whether Lampard is good enough long term, he has no track record, better managers have been given a lot less. 

6 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

Turned what around though? they beat West Brom and Brighton, their win agasint us all bit it deserved was still lucky in terms of the goals they scored. Even then we could of snatched a point. As soon as Arsenal lose again everyone will be Arteta out again, the football under Arteta at Arsenal is boring, defensive. At least under Lampard we play some decent attacking football. The problem Lampard has is, anytime we play anyone half decent we struggle.

I'm not talking so much about the wins, Arsenal now are playing better football than they did before. I don't expect us to magically start winning tons of games but I do hold out hope for us getting back to playing how we did at the start of the season.

4 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

If Frank goes I fear for our young players chances.

To be honest if the choice is winning matches and trophies with very little use of youth, then Im all for it   Sounds bad i know, but id rather win football matches than pander to the youth brigade and try and squeeze in as many kids debuts as possible

James would still be used under a new manager IMO, as would Abraham, but he wouldnt be main man.  I suspect you might see Mount used slightly less, too.    

If they play well, and show form, theyll be in

If tuchel came in for example, there is no chance whatsoever that Havertz, Pulisic and Ziyech dont start... aswell as Werner

Edited by RickUK

Just now, Slojo said:

But all those players did step up, that's how they won things. At some point, those players did step up, for those 4 managers I mentioned. Sarri got into two cup finals and won one. I'm not saying it didn't fall apart after. Frank has won nothing and the players don't step up when it matters, even if you look at our form last season (again, not downplaying what Frank did) but after November it was W L W L D W, completely bipolar performances. Luckily Giroud and Pulisic turned up after the COVID break and we got the important points. 

This is what I'm getting at, why is it now do we decide to give Frank the luxury of longterm management and stability? It looks like a very weird decision considering all the other managers at least won things. 

I'm hoping he turns it around, but I don't think he does, I'm expecting him to get the axe before January ends. 

There were occasions they did step up and there were plenty of occasions they didn't where sluggish,effortless or otherwise lacklustre performances were painful to watch. The players stepped up most of last season, the cup final being the real obvious one that was infuriating and until the last month or so had done well this season. My point is the lack of consistancy from us in nothing new. Why should Frank be sacked for a bad run of form when other managers with better squads in a less competative league were given the chance to put things right and then go onto win things?

I don't think giving Frank until the end of his second season can ever be called "luxury of longterm management and stability", its just not making a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction.

6 minutes ago, big blue said:

Hard to argue with the lampard out section  now, I will never call for a managers head, but its difficult to have faith in Lampard when he has no history on his resume to say we are backing a winning manager. 

That being said, he has to get the full season, its that tight at the moment anything could happen. 

The question is whether Roman thinks another manager would get better results from this set of players, and also whether Lampard is even a manager capable of winning the league. 

I know we all like to mock ole and arteta, but both of them have better records in games against the traditional big 6 than Lampard. That is a bit of a red flag for me, because its points to the manager not being good enough, rather than the players, especially this season. 

Big month coming up. Fulham, and then Leicester and Wolves, 2 good sides, that we will need to play well to win. 

From the optimism in the summer, im pretty down beat at the moment.

The only trouble is, its under his watch we bought in basically half a new team, and we look clueless, watch when Cit front 3 just stood there ground, and we couldn't get out, yes you beat that press, the you have a chance, i got dizzy watching the little 5yd triangles going nowhere?

14 minutes ago, jack h said:

There were occasions they did step up and there were plenty of occasions they didn't where sluggish,effortless or otherwise lacklustre performances were painful to watch. The players stepped up most of last season, the cup final being the real obvious one that was infuriating and until the last month or so had done well this season. My point is the lack of consistancy from us in nothing new. Why should Frank be sacked for a bad run of form when other managers with better squads in a less competative league were given the chance to put things right and then go onto win things?

I don't think giving Frank until the end of his second season can ever be called "luxury of longterm management and stability", its just not making a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction.

How's it ridiculous exactly? 

If we didn't sack AVB we wouldn't have won an F.A Cup and our only ever Champions League. What's this "give until the end of the season" obsession if a manager clearly isn't meeting his expected targets? If he's not the man for the job, then he's not the man for the job, I think there's more than enough evidence to summarise that. Given the lack of CV that he already had, he doesn't get that luxury, that's the reality. We have no evidence that Frank can turn this around because he doesn't have a top football manager pedigree. We've seen things, good things, but we've also seen some terrible things. This is Chelsea football club, we win things, we've been winning things for years now, why do we have to lower our standards and expectations? Because Franks a club legend? If this was Chris Houghton in charge, I can bet most of the forum right now would want him sacked on the spot. 

I don't see why it's a stupid idea to move on from a manager who is badly underperforming and has no proven background to fall back on, when we can still salvage the season like we have before numerous times in the past. Call it an endless cycle if you wish, that endless cycle has also won us many trophies in return. 

Edited by Slojo

5 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

The only trouble is, its under his watch we bought in basically half a new team, and we look clueless, watch when Cit front 3 just stood there ground, and we couldn't get out, yes you beat that press, the you have a chance, i got dizzy watching the little 5yd triangles going nowhere?

I think its a lack of experience on the coaching side, even his assistants havent coached at this level before. Maybe a more experienced number 2 would help aswell. 

I think we try and do all the right things, we just rarely do them to a high enough standard.

On the plus side, i still think we have recuited well, and Lampard has brought though some excellent players that can work under any coach. 

I think Frank needs the press to shove the questions to his throat. He needs to wake up to his situation. He is responsible for these results. If the players he chooses are not performing you change them. If the formation is not working he changes it. The job is so hard and he is handsomely paid.