*Officially sacked* but still Super Frank Lampard

Sack or Back ???  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

We need to stick with Frank for the season, at present top 4 looks beyond us, but not the end of the world, what do we want, one our own whose hurting like us, and will always have the club and our best interests at heart, or some foreign mercenary, who will jump soon as a bigger club comes along, we could go back in time to Sarri (no thanks), Conte a great first season, but second season showed what he really was, Jose, not that embarrassing soap opera again, Rafa?, AVB, Big Phil, performances not great but if we suddenly win 3 or 4 on bounce it’s game on again, onwards and upwards, I’m sure if the match going fans were in the ground they would be getting behind Frank, I just hope the armchair, Twitter following keyboard warrior Xbox fans don’t get their way before we get back in ground

Given the season is still salvageable, it's going to be a big decision for Roman. I can't see any big players coming in. The players seem to resigned to defeat , and this is not the first time in recent games. I honestly don't think blaming individual mistakes is helping the players. There are good managers available right now, bare the blacklash from some fans of sacking a club legend, it's the tough and probably right call. We could get an Avram Grant ( if rumor is true) or an experienced assistant manager to help Lampard, but given he's his own man I doubt it will work. Lampard probably still his fair amount of supporters in the dressing room, but it's interesting nobody really came out to say anything to back the manager. We are at the point where no action is probably the worst action, either back him publicly and get him a Rice or a player of his choice, or cut him loose now.

1 hour ago, coombsie said:

I posted the above 2 weeks ago and Unfortunately, last night I think I began to witness the beginning of the players losing interest in playing for Frank. I exempt Mount, Pulisic and CHO from that, but the rest of the side looked as though they couldn't give a monkeys. Really poor and we seem to have completely lost our way. We all know what happens next 😥

100% Coombsie

8 hours ago, seanlu13913 said:

That's what I'm noticing. A few years back they could make these passes knowing someone would be on the end of it. I saw Mount and Ziyech throwing their hands up cause no one was connecting to their balls. I think it comes down to Lamps not knowing what the best formation/lineup is and there being no consistence on the team sheet besides the back line.

A large problem is we have a bunch of senior players who aren’t needed at the club but Frank has to give them game time in order to avoid dressing room issues. Rudiger and Jorginho are two examples of such, that’s not slight on the players - well maybe Rudi but they just don’t seem to be in our plans but we can’t offload them because of the market.

I think Frank deserves the season, personally I’d like to see him get the full three years of his contract. I’m bored of the revolving door of managers where nothing ever changes because as soon as we hit a bad run they’re out the door.

Arsenal were mocked for getting relegated and Arteta being a cone collector for Pep. United have been mocked for almost 2 years about Ole on the back of bad runs. Arsenal are top 4 and United are 1st. Knee-jerk firing doesn’t always work. 

And before anyone says it - if you look at the comments by Arsenal / United fans at the times they were saying there’s no style of play, rhythm, plan etc as well.

3 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

A large problem is we have a bunch of senior players who aren’t needed at the club but Frank has to give them game time in order to avoid dressing room issues. Rudiger and Jorginho are two examples of such, that’s not slight on the players - well maybe Rudi but they just don’t seem to be in our plans but we can’t offload them because of the market.

I think Frank deserves the season, personally I’d like to see him get the full three years of his contract. I’m bored of the revolving door of managers where nothing ever changes because as soon as we hit a bad run they’re out the door.

Arsenal were mocked for getting relegated and Arteta being a cone collector for Pep. United have been mocked for almost 2 years about Ole on the back of bad runs. Arsenal are top 4 and United are 1st. Knee-jerk firing doesn’t always work. 

And before anyone says it - if you look at the comments by Arsenal / United fans at the times they were saying there’s no style of play, rhythm, plan etc as well.

He's been giving the senior players time recently because he thinks the issue is that the players aren't vocal or experienced enough. Rudiger has played for no reason that makes any sense in this day and age. 

He's under pressure and he's making bad decisions. The players don't know what they are supposed to do. 

Staying the whole year and leaving I think risks us becoming a laughing stock and hurting the careers of this generation of players 

55 minutes ago, abister1 said:

You can't give what you don't have. Nepotism will get you only so far on the road to excellence. Now mix Nepotism with Mediocrity you won't even get that far. That's all. 

Where are these family-ties inside the club? 

1 minute ago, bisright1 said:

He's been giving the senior players time recently because he thinks the issue is that the players aren't vocal or experienced enough. Rudiger has played for no reason that makes any sense in this day and age. 

He's under pressure and he's making bad decisions. The players don't know what they are supposed to do. 

Staying the whole year and leaving I think risks us becoming a laughing stock and hurting the careers of this generation of players 

Please don’t be over dramatic. It is not hurting their careers by missing out on CL football for a year. Did it hurt Eden’s? Looks to me that his dream move hurt his career more than any blip in his Chelsea history.

I think you’re over-simplifying the relationships and sway that the older players in the squad hold and how much one or two bad attitudes or discontent can throw off an entire dressing room.

As I said, go read Arsenal or United forums from a couple of months back - you’ll see the exact same posts. Firing managers after a couple of months is not sustainable - as we should know given the amount of money the club has paid out to everyone we sack.

8 hours ago, coco said:

Iv'e been one Franks biggest advocates since he arrived, argued with plenty on here defending him, sang "we got super frankie lampard" in my car louder than any of you.

But if you go back and check my posts 2 years ago you'll see i was all for Sarri staying and when Franks name was banded about as a replacement by many on here, i hated the thought of it, i fell out with several on here over it, and this is why, i knew this would happen, he did well to last 18 months, but no i have to watch and listen to him being devoured.

This is why I hate the idea of club legends taking managerial roles, it always causes a rift like this because nobody wants to see a club legend get the sack. 

I'll take absolutely no pleasure in seeing Frank shown the door, even if I think it's the right decision. I'm gutted. 

People ask why am I being so depressing for two months now after being optimistic. Because I kind of accepted subconsiously that it's not going to work out after that Arsenal game, that told me all I needed to know. At the time I was doubting myself if that's premature but the fact that players can just turn off like that, and not give a single f**k just told me everything I needed to know. I've seen us get smashed 6-0 by City but I've never seen us lose to absolute dross like that in a big rivalry game, how the f**k can your players not turn up to a game like that? Absolutely disgusting. 

31 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Given the season is still salvageable, it's going to be a big decision for Roman. I can't see any big players coming in. The players seem to resigned to defeat , and this is not the first time in recent games. I honestly don't think blaming individual mistakes is helping the players. There are good managers available right now, bare the blacklash from some fans of sacking a club legend, it's the tough and probably right call. We could get an Avram Grant ( if rumor is true) or an experienced assistant manager to help Lampard, but given he's his own man I doubt it will work. Lampard probably still his fair amount of supporters in the dressing room, but it's interesting nobody really came out to say anything to back the manager. We are at the point where no action is probably the worst action, either back him publicly and get him a Rice or a player of his choice, or cut him loose now.

Seriously you will give him more money to spend on Rice? Werner, Havertz, and to an extent Chiwell & Ziyech have all looked poor. 
This is not the time to indulge him. If he wants to be a success, he needs to dig himself out of this mess. You just have to look at Arteta at Arsenal; he has looked within the club, discarded some of his signings and brought back some players from the cold, and promoted some youth players into starters.

If Lamps needs a DM he either converts a first team player into one (eg a Christensen), or promote some youth players into the first team.

12 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I agree, my main concern is that Frank hasn't got the players in certain areas for his ideas and blueprint to work.

He's been a bit unfortunate in that he let Barkley and RLT go out on loan on the back of Kovacic's decent form last season, a decision im sure he would change in the blink of an eye give Kovacic's form this season.

However, the lack of a ball playing CDM and Centre back(no disrespect to Silva) is im afraid going to be his downfall, unless the club decide to back him and change the players in those areas come the summer. I hope so.

My main concern was that in last nights game there were signs that a lot of the players are losing faith in his ideas.

23 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Lampard doesn't need to play Rudiger and Jorginho if he doesn't want to, just as he doesn't need to play Alonso or Giroud, the latter was out of the question for quite some time last season.

Lampard didn't rely on some of these players this season as much as last season so it's not them who are causing us to lose games;

Rudgier has played 4 times in the PL this season and we won 2 games, in both of those wins we kept a clean sheet. Yesterday was the first loss with Rudiger in the starting lineup.

Jorginho has been seen as a "not needed" player for 3 seasons or so? Yet with him as a key player we finished top 3 and top 4 respectively, this season he's having a much smaller role. When he didn't start the game this season we have lost 4 games by conceding around 2 goals in the first half, even at the start of the season when he was on the bench West Brom scored 2 goals in the first half but we managed to save that game which finished 3:3. With him in the starting lineup we simply didn't lose out in the first half, without him we just surrendered fast this season so it's a clear difference from last season when he had a bigger role to play for us.

You can't deem players that are not even used that much as a large problem, look first at the ones that are actually being used more and that are being trusted to get the job done.

Edited by Gol15

I really hope Roman can learn from the mistake of the last 3 seasons. Possession based attacking football is the most boring football i have ever seen as a Chelsea fan and the last 2~3 seasons under Sarri and Lampard is one of the most unenjoyable period i have seen since I started supporting Chelsea since 1997. 

I want our strong defensive, counter attacking Chelsea back, the team that won us Champions League and 4 out of 5 premier league titles Chelsea back, not this boring possession football

9 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Please don’t be over dramatic. It is not hurting their careers by missing out on CL football for a year. Did it hurt Eden’s? Looks to me that his dream move hurt his career more than any blip in his Chelsea history.

I think you’re over-simplifying the relationships and sway that the older players in the squad hold and how much one or two bad attitudes or discontent can throw off an entire dressing room.

As I said, go read Arsenal or United forums from a couple of months back - you’ll see the exact same posts. Firing managers after a couple of months is not sustainable - as we should know given the amount of money the club has paid out to everyone we sack.

Why should he stay the full season if he's performing badly? What does that do for this club? 

We can still salvage a season, we can still turn it around and finish on a high but our chances of doing that with Frank are very slim. I understand that people want to keep Frank, but I don't understand this logic of "Give him the end of the season regardless", that to me makes no sense whatsoever. If he's not good enough, he's not good enough. We're still in 2 competitions and can finish top 4 if we turn it around, we might be able to do that with someone else in charge. 

7 minutes ago, evissy said:

Where are these family-ties inside the club? 

As a broad concept, it extends beyond family to friends as well. Frank is a friendly face, to me as well as millions others who support, follow and love the club. As well as the inside business people within. 

Still don't mean he's right for the job. I'm just waiting till he's moved on now cause he will be. It's glaringly obvious he's not got it. Yet. 

He wasn't qualified for job when he got it and should have learned his trade a bit longer before getting the Chelsea role. 

Without our peculiar circumstances in the season he was appointed, there's no way in a rational business world he gets that appointment. Understandable even though the wrong call. But he's had a shot, backed to the tune of hundreds of millions of pounds. 

I'm not saying anything that hundreds aren't saying. I've been consistent in this view from day one. And to those that cry time needed, time is only given when all is going well and there's no need to make a change. Football of today is different from the nostalgic days when a teams financial expenses per season, cost less than wages of a particular player talk less of their purchase fee. 

We all know how it will end despite our best wishes and the reason we all know is because we all know as well he's not got it. Every other reason to keep him is based on a wing and a prayer. 

18 minutes ago, Slojo said:

This is why I hate the idea of club legends taking managerial roles, it always causes a rift like this because nobody wants to see a club legend get the sack. 

I'll take absolutely no pleasure in seeing Frank shown the door, even if I think it's the right decision. I'm gutted. 

People ask why am I being so depressing for two months now after being optimistic. Because I kind of accepted subconsiously that it's not going to work out after that Arsenal game, that told me all I needed to know. At the time I was doubting myself if that's premature but the fact that players can just turn off like that, and not give a single f**k just told me everything I needed to know. I've seen us get smashed 6-0 by City but I've never seen us lose to absolute dross like that in a big rivalry game, how the f**k can your players not turn up to a game like that? Absolutely disgusting. 

You get a lot of respect from me for your current views. You know your football like a lot of others on here do and you were a fervent supporter of Lampard as manger. 

To change your view based on the facts at hand does not make you any less of a man but a bigger one. 

Fair play. 

53 minutes ago, chi blue said:

We need to stick with Frank for the season, at present top 4 looks beyond us, but not the end of the world, what do we want, one our own whose hurting like us, and will always have the club and our best interests at heart, or some foreign mercenary, who will jump soon as a bigger club comes along, we could go back in time to Sarri (no thanks), Conte a great first season, but second season showed what he really was, Jose, not that embarrassing soap opera again, Rafa?, AVB, Big Phil, performances not great but if we suddenly win 3 or 4 on bounce it’s game on again, onwards and upwards, I’m sure if the match going fans were in the ground they would be getting behind Frank, I just hope the armchair, Twitter following keyboard warrior Xbox fans don’t get their way before we get back in ground

It's funny you mention about Mourinho's soap opera and fans wishes in the same post as if it was up to the supporters Jose would still be here.

There's a reason we're in the stands and not the boardroom!

Edited by Argo

1 minute ago, abister1 said:

As a broad concept, it extends beyond family to friends as well. Frank is a friendly face, to me as well as millions others who support, follow and love the club. As well as the inside business people within. 

Still don't mean he's right for the job. I'm just waiting till he's moved on now cause he will be. It's glaringly obvious he's not got it. Yet. 

He wasn't qualified for job when he got it and should have learned his trade a bit longer before getting the Chelsea role. 

Without our peculiar circumstances in the season he was appointed, there's no way in a rational business world he gets that appointment. Understandable even though the wrong call. But he's had a shot, backed to the tune of hundreds of millions of pounds. 

I'm not saying anything that hundreds aren't saying. I've been consistent in this view from day one. And to those that cry time needed, time is only given when all is going well and there's no need to make a change. Football of today is different from the nostalgic days when a teams financial expenses per season, cost less than wages of a particular player talk less of their purchase fee. 

We all know how it will end despite our best wishes and the reason we all know is because we all know as well he's not got it. Every other reason to keep him is based on a wing and a prayer. 

It's a bit similar to the Di Matteo situation. I f**king loved Robbie, and when he won the CL and F.A. Cup that was it for me, give the man a contract. But it became evident that he wasn't the man for the job, he had a great honeymoon period and galvanized the squad, a squad full of leaders into winning the Champions League, the big one they've deserved to win for so long. 

Frank did a great job last season, a very hard job that nobody wanted to touch, that's why he got it. That's why the previous manager walked when he could. It can't be understated how he got top 4 with players that he had, and he'll always have played his part in the future success of this club for the youth players he implemented into the side and got playing together. 

But now it's like the RDM situation, now that he has quality, and has all these signings, he's failing to implement them. Although to his credit he did get something going, but for it all to be undone in just a matter of two months. But look at Di Matteo now, what has he done since getting the axe? Nothing, it's the right decision. I feel that it could be the very same thing here, but the good thing is, if Frank goes on to succeed elsewhere, he might comeback, who knows. But what he needs to do is prove himself as a manager. Right now, he's failing to do it, we should have high standards for a reason, if he can't do the job he can't do the job, we can't keep making excuses. It's easy to keep blaming the players but there isn't a single incident in football where if the manager loses his job, there are no players that let him down. Every single time that's the case, because how else would they lose it? Players stop performing that's it, that's the manager’s job I'm afraid. 

31 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Lampard made Jorginho vice-captain last season because of the lack of leadership, not even Sarri did that.

As soon as T.Silva was to play his first game he became the captain. 

Make no mistake, this is a huge, huge issue and it won't go away if Lampard gets sacked.

3 minutes ago, Argo said:

It's funny you mention about Mourinho's soap opera and fans wishes in the same post as if it was up to the supporters Jose would still be here.

the board should have backed Mourinho and we saved ourself these 4-5 years of mess

Conte is great but 1. he isnt better than Jose and 2. he is having the same issue with the board

Sarri, Lampard dont even deserved to be in the same sentence with Jose Mourinho

4 minutes ago, Argo said:

I can vouch for that, I didn't want Jose sacked. After what he did at this club I was confident he could turn it around if the board made a statement and backed him regardless of where we finish. But now you look at what Jose did at United and now currently Spurs, it looks like it was the right decision. He's really lost his edge. 

9 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Why should he stay the full season if he's performing badly? What does that do for this club? 

We can still salvage a season, we can still turn it around and finish on a high but our chances of doing that with Frank are very slim. I understand that people want to keep Frank, but I don't understand this logic of "Give him the end of the season regardless", that to me makes no sense whatsoever. If he's not good enough, he's not good enough. We're still in 2 competitions and can finish top 4 if we turn it around, we might be able to do that with someone else in charge. 

So what about Ole for example? I guarantee you were laughing at him only a few months ago when United went out the CL & last season. If he wasn’t good enough he wasn’t good enough - but now suddenly he is and they’re challenging for top? 

This was always going to be a clusterf**k of a season for everyone as it’s proving to be and if you didn’t see that coming then I’m sorry but you need to take your head out the sand.

If you put this in a normal work environment - you’re a team manager and your team underperforms on their monthly targets. Your boss comes and says “sorry Slojo, I think we could get better results next month with another manger - you’re sacked”. You’d be thinking, ah yes, that’s fair, one underperforming month and I’m fired 🤨. Pretty sure there was talk of Ralph Hasenhuttl getting sacked after they got pumped 8-0 or whatever it was and look at them now. Firing managers is not always the right thing to do.

There’s five new signings in that squad and mainly the first team, again, if you think that doesn’t take time to gel particularly with all the injuries, arriving at different times etc. I’m not quite sure what to tell you.

There’s a three year plan. See out the three year plan then holistically review the progress towards the stated targets and make an assessment.

Just now, cfcforeverfan said:

the board should have backed Mourinho and we saved ourself these 4-5 years of mess

Conte is great but 1. he isnt better than Jose and 2. he is having the same issue with the board

Sarri, Lampard dont even deserved to be in the same sentence with Jose Mourinho

I believe that Conte should have been backed, he's by all means currently a better manager than Jose.

Just now, Slojo said:

I can vouch for that, I didn't want Jose sacked. After what he did at this club I was confident he could turn it around if the board made a statement and backed him regardless of where we finish. But now you look at what Jose did at United and now currently Spurs, it looks like it was the right decision. He's really lost his edge. 

Jose cant even beg a proper centre back even he asked for the whole summer and then get sacked after 4 months, just after the season he finished 2nd with highest point tally since SAF retire

Leading Spurs to 5 pt from top with 1 game in hand and he 'lost his edge', i wish we have that 'edge' now instead of Frank Lampard lol

25 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Seriously you will give him more money to spend on Rice? Werner, Havertz, and to an extent Chiwell & Ziyech have all looked poor. 
This is not the time to indulge him. If he wants to be a success, he needs to dig himself out of this mess. You just have to look at Arteta at Arsenal; he has looked within the club, discarded some of his signings and brought back some players from the cold, and promoted some youth players into starters.

If Lamps needs a DM he either converts a first team player into one (eg a Christensen), or promote some youth players into the first team.

My point is either back him or sack him, if it means backing him by another big purchase, so be it. Although I doubt it will happen. Silence from the boss will not help him, as much as he needs to dig himself and the team out of trouble.

• coco changed the title to *Officially sacked* but still Super Frank Lampard
  • coco unpinned this topic