Super Frank Lampard

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sack or Back ???  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

This poll is closed to new votes

Love Lamps but he defo showed his naivety yesterday. I mean 2-1 at home to quite a physical team. You bring on a diminutive CM for his PL debut who has never played a first team match before. Could we not just of brought on Christensen. He can play in the DM role. Reads the game well, has height and would make the team more solid while defending the lead. I was panicking when Lamps made those changes. Not blaming the kid for the loss. The timing of bringing him on just did not make sense.

We're having exactly the kind of up and down season i expetced, with periods where we play really well, showing great promise for the future and periods where we are pants. We're miles behind the top two and catching up with them is going to take a few years, so everyone needs to be patient while this rebuilding job takes place. If we are not close to the top 2  in 3 years time then Frank will probably go. 

Rudiger comes straight back into the team after the international break. If Zouma isn't dropped then I will start to worry about Lampard's defensive coaching abilities. If Reece James is as good as some people say he is, then he also should come straight into the team if fit. I am one of Azpilicueta's biggest defenders and he's one of my favourite Chelsea players ever, but I can't be blind and ignore how much he is struggling, he can't do both defending and attacking anymore. It's never really been his greatest strength anyway, even when he was playing at his best. Either drop him to the bench or have him share the CB position with Christensen.

Getting the defense right has to be the highest priority during the international break.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Because we weren't really phasing them out despite AVB claiming so. Lampard, Drogba, Terry, Cole, Cech all still started any serious game of any note. The only youngsters that got serious chances were Sturridge and Romeu both of whom were dropped at the first sign of trouble. Meireles weren't that much younger than the old guard himself, Luiz was reguarly left on the bench for the Bosingwa, Ivanovic, Terry and Cole back four which combination wise was horrific, Mata fair enough but he's just one player. 

The true transition was the following season, all the old guard bar Cech were rotated more with younger alternatives and we were building around what was the next generation of players.

I was referring to joe rather than ashley initially. 

Just because we werent playing the kids doesnt mean we wernt in transition. The style of football AVB attempted to implement was radically different the one the players had grown accustomed. 

AVB did drop a lot of the the old guard, Lampard only started half the chanpions league games while AVB was in charge, Drogba was in and out of the side all season. 

We were in transition that season, much like we were the season before, when Ancelotti was tasked with refreshing a double winning side with rookies, and as were the follwing season with mazacar. 

in amongst the positives (which start and finish with the not insignificant blooding of young players), concerns already arise:

1) our defensive problems are essentially structural not individual, and lets not pretend otherwise. yes taking zouma out and putting rudiger in will help (and the same with kante for one of the midfielders), but this is not the reason why we're conceding lots of goals. we're conceding goals because, in every game, we concede huge huge areas of space routinely. 

2) without being unkind, what is the point of playing two midfielders who pass the ball well and do everything else fairly averagely alongside a player who concedes the ball as readily as donald trump concedes the moral high ground? jorginho and ross barkley as as compatible a couple as susan sontag and piers morgan. but probably more painful to watch together. 

3) if you have jorginho and kovacic, and a wide player who is coming infield, and a third player in the middle, and you still can't control the midfield at home to a promoted side then you need to look at the coach.

I wasn't totally convinced by sarri, and I think it is fair to say having a club where the supporters back the manager is hugely important, but let's not beat about the bush; there is no comparison between him and lamps as coaches at this stage. given that, I think success will be not totally embarrassing ourselves this season, and hopefully proving that maybe 2-3 of the kids are realistically going to be chelsea players in the medium / long term. this isn't to have a go at lamps - he's one season in and isn't a jose / guardiola wondercoach - but already this looks like weak, facile management by the people who run the club. if you treat your supporters like customers you are obliged to be better than this.

6 hours ago, Brutos said:

If Losing a 2-0 lead at home to a newly promoted team isn't something to make you sit up and take notice I don't know what will..

We're on the same number of points after 4 games as both Tottenham and Manchester United, and 3 points behind third.

Have a bit of faith 🙂

At the start of the season everyone agreed Frank is going to need a fair amount of time to rebuild the team, so its disappointing some are already asking questions about him. The way we're defending there's a good chance we'll be hammered by Liverpool and if that happens i'll bet there will be some on the forum wanting him out. 

7 minutes ago, Dixons said:

At the start of the season everyone agreed Frank is going to need a fair amount of time to rebuild the team, so its disappointing some are already asking questions about him. The way we're defending there's a good chance we'll be hammered by Liverpool and if that happens i'll bet there will be some on the forum wanting him out. 

I have not really heard any rational fans calling for Frank’s head. He has an immensely difficult job and is going to take time to learn to manage this club. It is okay to acknowledge that while also criticizing some tactical decisions.

1 minute ago, jking948 said:

I have not really heard any rational fans calling for Frank’s head. He has an immensely difficult job and is going to take time to learn to manage this club. It is okay to acknowledge that while also criticizing some tactical decisions.

I didn't say there's calls at the mo, but there probably will be if we get heavily beaten by Liverpool. We're defending like a relegation team, so if Pool are on form we're going to have  a hard job keeping the score down. 

Banned from signing new players, giving our youth a chance, lost our best player of the last 7 years, has arguably 5 first 11 players injured at the start of the campaign.

Do we expect him to win the league or finish top 4? I do not, he is learning just as our players are. Now is not our time to be amongst the best.

4 hours ago, big blue said:

I was referring to joe rather than ashley initially. 

Just because we werent playing the kids doesnt mean we wernt in transition. The style of football AVB attempted to implement was radically different the one the players had grown accustomed. 

AVB did drop a lot of the the old guard, Lampard only started half the chanpions league games while AVB was in charge, Drogba was in and out of the side all season. 

We were in transition that season, much like we were the season before, when Ancelotti was tasked with refreshing a double winning side with rookies, and as were the follwing season with mazacar. 

I think we have different ideas as to what a transition is. I don't believe changing a style without any real clue how to properly implement it while by in large sticking to the same players is a transition, Klopp changes the style at Liverpool every season yet they sure ain't in transition. To me a transition is when you know immediate results are going to suffer but there's a clear blueprint as to what will come at the climax, 12/13, this season and last to me are transitions, 10/11, 11/12 and 17/18 most definitely weren't in my eyes.

54 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Banned from signing new players, giving our youth a chance, lost our best player of the last 7 years, has arguably 5 first 11 players injured at the start of the campaign.

Do we expect him to win the league or finish top 4? I do not, he is learning just as our players are. Now is not our time to be amongst the best.

Completely agree!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Just look at the back four we had out yesterday. This time next year i expect Tomori to be the only one who'll be in contention for a starting place in the team.  In the meantime, lets enjoy the good moments we'll have this season and suck up the not so good.                                 

Edited by Dixons

4 hours ago, Dixons said:

Completely agree!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Just look at the back four we had out yesterday. This time next year i expect Tomori to be the only one who'll be in contention for a starting place in the team.  In the meantime, lets enjoy the good moments we'll have this season and suck up the not so good.                                 

Yup could well be. Think we are starting to see Emerson is bang average both defensively and offensively too.

Fans are such hypocrites and idiots from time to time. They pretend to want and insist for our own academy products, then 3-4 bad games happen and all of a sudden - they start asking themselves questions, this one's bad, that one's weak, third is stupid. Suck it up, crybabies. This is what you wanted and this is what we've got. 

Edited by Droopy

22 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Fans are such hypocrites and idiots from time to time. They pretend to want and insist for our own academy products, then 3-4 bad games happen and all of a sudden - they start asking themselves questions, this one's bad, that one's weak, third is stupid. Suck it up, crybabies. This is what you wanted and this is what we've got. 

Cant win either way. Totally agree. 

By the time everyone is fit, 6 out of 10 outfield players may very well be academy-product. Three of which who came directly from the Championship.

If there is one time patience is needed it's this time.

20 hours ago, STATS said:

Love Lamps but he defo showed his naivety yesterday. I mean 2-1 at home to quite a physical team. You bring on a diminutive CM for his PL debut who has never played a first team match before. Could we not just of brought on Christensen. He can play in the DM role. Reads the game well, has height and would make the team more solid while defending the lead. I was panicking when Lamps made those changes. Not blaming the kid for the loss. The timing of bringing him on just did not make sense.

This

15 hours ago, Dixons said:

What, like when we played them in the Super Cup. For me it's individuals making errors rather than being defensively terrible.

I would drop Zouma personally and if Rudiger isn't fit bring back Christensen alongside Tomori. Azpi needs to dropped as soon as James is fit.

38 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Best LB in the world according to some on here.

Emerson is the least of our problems, he's been one of our best players so far this season.

3 hours ago, Droopy said:

Which academy products has been criticised? They have actually been our best players this season.

17 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

We're on the same number of points after 4 games as both Tottenham and Manchester United, and 3 points behind third.

Have a bit of faith 🙂

I´d rather have Frank make that mistake early in the season against Sheffield than in the Champions League round of 16 when our season is on the line. 

Most of you are saying he´s intelligent in one post and can´t believe he made that sub in the next, well, if you believe your own words he learned the most from what transpired on that pitch.

Great point Sexyfootball.

Frank will make mistakes but so far in the season he hasn't imo. Bringing on Billy and Michy were not conventional choices but the sub didn't cost us anything and Gilmour saw his dream realized.

I think Frank makes calculated choices as you would think a highly intelligent person does. He has a clear vision but it all takes time. I think this season we have a limit and that limit will probably see us finish below CL spots but you never know.

I think we look exactly like Liverpool under Klopp in his fisrt season. Pacy and energetic but very vulnerable at the back. Franks and Klopps system is very demanding and you need to do things just right. And you need the right personnel. Pool did that and now they are on top of every pile they play in. We have that same future waiting with some patience from Roman and some luck.

I just checked the schedule and october looks very good for us in terms of fixtures. A nice winstreak is in order.

Yep that's what I noticed on this forum over the year's we have a very spoilt inpatient fan base it's a small section but they shout the loudest. I was skeptical about Frank's appointment, I took emotions out of it and looked at the facts one season in the championship, didn't really set the championship alight very average season and them you get given one of the toughest Jobs in world football (probably only behind Real and Barcelona ) in the toughest League with the most unforgiving media.

Looking at all that I accepted that we would probably have a season where we would win one but probably get spanked several times top 6 struggle and CL probably wouldn't get past last 16.

Now having seen us so far and how our defensive phase look's I just go into matches now and hope we get a result even when all the player's are back we will struggle.

Looking at the rate we are conceding goals we need 4 goals to win a match as we should expect to concede two every other game until the defensive phase gets sorted.