Super Frank Lampard

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sack or Back ???  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

This poll is closed to new votes

9 hours ago, Slojo said:

Frank is very persistant with the tinkering, but to be fair, with the current injuries we have, you can't really lay the blame. 

Our best LB out, our wide players out, the goalkeeper situation, Silva's fitness and quarantine. Lots of factors, I can't blame the setup besides Christensen and Christensen was one of our best players so...

Although the starting formation was poor with players out of position as usual, it’s the changes at 3-2 down. 

We were absolutely dominant with plenty of time to win the game. West Brom were hanging on and it was only a matter of time. I have 100% confidence we would have won if he swapped Tammy for Giroud and kept the same formation. 

After he changed it, we looked clueless and players didn’t know their position. Our dominance was nullified by our own managers decisions and we had to scrape an injury time goal. If you read the match thread, everyone but Lampard could see a like for like was needed and we don’t get paid the big bucks to make these decisions. It’s concerning how often this happens. 

This season is always going to be the real test, not saying last season was easy by any means, but this season he has to integrate 6-7 players into the team, and make it work fast. It's only 3 games with 3/4 squad, but already shown Lampard having a bit of a hard time pick the right players and the system. I'm not a fan of criticize individuals in public, isn't that what we call throw people under the bus? I suppose Kepa and Alonso aren't first pick anymore, so it's not a huge deal. However, if you go hard on Kepa and Alonso, you got have a go at Silva, James as well. 

50 minutes ago, MayosNoun! said:

Although the starting formation was poor with players out of position as usual, it’s the changes at 3-2 down. 

We were absolutely dominant with plenty of time to win the game. West Brom were hanging on and it was only a matter of time. I have 100% confidence we would have won if he swapped Tammy for Giroud and kept the same formation. 

After he changed it, we looked clueless and players didn’t know their position. Our dominance was nullified by our own managers decisions and we had to scrape an injury time goal. If you read the match thread, everyone but Lampard could see a like for like was needed and we don’t get paid the big bucks to make these decisions. It’s concerning how often this happens. 

I don't think there was anything wrong with the formation. For me the only mistake he really did was starting Alonso. That's what cost us the three points in the end. In no way would we have lost this game with Chilwell or Azpi at leftback.

We played decent football even in the first half and should have scored twice inside 20 minutes but suffered from poor finishing from Tammy and Werner.

Individual mistakes are hurting us big time. That has been a much bigger factor then Lampards few mistakes so far this season.

Lampard is extremely intellegent and very articulate into what he wants and am a bit surprised that on the pitch we seem to be all over the place and not very coherent.

You could say its because of the new signings but i doubt that because I do not see what the game plan is, hence the players do not know their positions either.

As other people mentioned it was strange making Silva the captain since he does not even speak the language and it was only his second game, I thought he was a bit poor also in both matches so far, perhaps is match fitness and getting used to the new surroundings.

I read an article somewhere or a comment not sure that we conceded last year exactly the same amount of goals that Derby conceded the previous year with Lampard in charge!

Clearly we need a bit of help in the defense department and its not just the players but the system we use too. Kante and Kovacic do not work together, i feel like Jorginho and Kovacic or Jorginho Kante is a better fit as Jorginho is much more disciplined in sitting in front of the defense and for all his physical weaknesses he is a decent tackler and interceptor of the ball.

I do believe that Lampard will sort it out eventually as we didn't have any pre season therefore it will be a slow process until everyone knows their positions and pattern of play.

29 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I don't think there was anything wrong with the formation. For me the only mistake he really did was starting Alonso. That's what cost us the three points in the end. In no way would we have lost this game with Chilwell or Azpi at leftback.

We played decent football even in the first half and should have scored twice inside 20 minutes but suffered from poor finishing from Tammy and Werner.

Individual mistakes are hurting us big time. That has been a much bigger factor then Lampards few mistakes so far this season.

Bang on Sindre.

Chilwell plays we win that game easy.

Look at the heat maps and you would wonder why we didn't romp this. WBA goalkeeper literally on the hot spot. Whilst Willy was lonesome. apart from 3 times picking the ball out of the back of the net.

aaaa.PNG

Lamps has done some really good things for us as a manager, notably blooding the kids, finishing fourth, and seemingly buying well. 

Even if he left tomorrow, his legacy as a manager for us would be pretty good. 

Having said that, i have to say- he's clearly not a good coach yet. Watching us over this year and a bit I think that much is pretty clear. 

He's a smart bloke and emotionally intelligent, so he has the makings of a potentially good manager. But to be honest he shouldn't be at a club of this stature at this point in his career. I doubt he'll improve fast enough to avoid getting sacked at some point in the next two seasons, which is a real shame. 

I'm just hoping Bale does not make a miraculous recovery for Tuesday!

Re Frank,

We are still far from his preferred team, Alonso a LWB not LB, new boy not match fit.

No chance yet to sort his defensive midfield and probably FFP preventing this.

Still persevering with the youngsters like James who did not do well for two of the conceded goals yet offers a lot going forward.

Don't think he knows our best attack yet either, CHO seems back from the dead after switching to the Left.

Werner does not look prolific to me yet more an attacker that will win us corners or create knock downs for other players, yet for me should lead the line.

Havertz is starting to look better and also has the potential to shoot  from outside the box which last season we desperately needed , yesterday he forced the keeper to save.

With all these newcomers Mount is still playing  and working hard, his shooting last season went from decent to poor and then today he finds that impressive strike.

Defensively we are not playing consistent CBs perhaps due to Silva's arrival though Zouma was not on the bench suggesting an injury.

Christensen was better and I always thought he struggled against large physical attackers and yesterday WBA's were smaller and quick.

Still a work in progress yet should see some improvement with Chilwell and Mendy to come.

I'm not surprised that we look disjointed right now considering the circumstances. Normally a manager would have half a dozen pre-season friendlies to experiment with different selections/formations and to allow the new players to become familiar with each other. This is exactly the process that we're having to go through now. The chaos created by the coronavirus situation has definitely impacted us more than others. Even under normal circumstances it would be a considerable challenge to bed-in so many new first-team players.

Regarding the game yesterday, we completely dominated them and played some great football at times. You can't really blame Lampard when Silva and Alonso give away such stupid goals. With hindsight, the selection of Alonso looks like a mistake, but he offers a lot more going forward than somebody like Azpi, so it didn't surprise me that Lampard went with Alonso in a match where we'd expect to be doing most of the attacking. I'm not happy about the defensive errors but these were brain-farts from players who should really should know better. I'll cut Silva some slack because he's been thrown in at the deep-end in a new country where he doesn't even speak the language and a league much more intense than he's used to. As for Alonso, we all know he's just filling the gap until Chilwell is ready anyway.

6 minutes ago, bluedave said:

I'm not surprised that we look disjointed right now considering the circumstances. Normally a manager would have half a dozen pre-season friendlies to experiment with different selections/formations and to allow the new players to become familiar with each other. This is exactly the process that we're having to go through now. The chaos created by the coronavirus situation has definitely impacted us more than others. Even under normal circumstances it would be a considerable challenge to bed-in so many new first-team players.

Regarding the game yesterday, we completely dominated them and played some great football at times. You can't really blame Lampard when Silva and Alonso give away such stupid goals. With hindsight, the selection of Alonso looks like a mistake, but he offers a lot more going forward than somebody like Azpi, so it didn't surprise me that Lampard went with Alonso in a match where we'd expect to be doing most of the attacking. I'm not happy about the defensive errors but these were brain-farts from players who should really should know better. I'll cut Silva some slack because he's been thrown in at the deep-end in a new country where he doesn't even speak the language and a league much more intense than he's used to. As for Alonso, we all know he's just filling the gap until Chilwell is ready anyway.

I think it's very telling that seemingly in every game there's loads of goalscoring chances and poor defending, that's entirely down to lack of pre season preparation and I expect it will all calm down after a month or so. 

The unfortunate thing for Frank is he is the first 'superstar' Chelsea player to take the reins, and he might be remembering to much, how good some of the teams were he played with, and expecting to much, Taking Kova off was a mistake, he was the only one picking the ball up and driving through midfield, Mount or Kante would of been my choice, kante should be playing right in frant of the back 4,Werner is wasted out wide, Havertz is settling ok, but looks very lightweight.
I'd play 3 at the back Silva flanked by Christensen and Zouma/Rudiger.............What yesterday did prove, it aint all Kepa fault.
Romans has outlayed a massive amount on new players, we know from history he doesn't do sentimental, beware Frank!!!!!

Edited by Ballack & Blu

10 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

I'd play 3 at the back

it would be an absolute travesty for a club of our ambitions and stature to play five at the back (which is what it is), especially counting the spending we've done in our attacking department this summer.

agree a lot with g3.7 here. with each day lampard looks more like what ranieri was to us before mourinho came in and put the pieces together. blooding in a couple of youth players, being likeable and playing a relatively attractive style of football, but ultimately hinders himself with his constant tinkering of our line ups and failing to establish a system that creates consistent results.

3 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

One of the worst picks we do is put Azpi at left back, he bombs forward to the half way line then goes backwards, no left foot no crossing, play him at Rightback, and try the hulking James in midfield, He is powerful, paced, and skilful.

Great plan.. but who is playing on the left? :D 

The team will pick itself up eventually. It has only being 3 games, Lampard cant pick the same team every match due to lack of fitness, injuries, form etc. 

I would say that around November we will have a first team regulars and reserves well established. 

As for left back its crazy to think putting azpi there when we have 3 left backs! Once Chilwell is fit I expect him to play 90% of our matches and expect him to provide a genuine width and defensive quality for the team. 

2 hours ago, g3.7 said:

Lamps has done some really good things for us as a manager, notably blooding the kids, finishing fourth, and seemingly buying well. 

Having said that, i have to say- he's clearly not a good coach yet. Watching us over this year and a bit I think that much is pretty clear. 

He's a smart bloke and emotionally intelligent, so he has the makings of a potentially good manager. But to be honest he shouldn't be at a club of this stature at this point in his career. I doubt he'll improve fast enough to avoid getting sacked at some point in the next two seasons, which is a real shame. 

If Lampard can't make this work someone else will because Lampard did establish a good foundation during this transition, we have good young players for the future and a good team overall which wasn't the case some seasons ago.

2 hours ago, Brutos said:

Crystal Palace at home next ffs

20786390-EAF5-49A6-B153-BAC14F119BD6.png

Next 6 league games are all potential banana skins. We have already dropped 5pts & you really don’t want to be far off the top by Nov. For me the 5 leagues till Nov 7th are very pivotal ones & he needs to pick up at least 11pts in those games or it might be curtains.

Just now, ducavis said:

Next 6 league games are all potential banana skins. We have already dropped 5pts & you really don’t want to be far off the top by Nov. For me the 5 leagues till Nov 7th are very pivotal ones & he needs to pick up at least 11pts in those games or it might be curtains.

If we are scared of this schedule we shouldn't even consider playing the other 29 matches. This is like the easiest part of the season. 

2 hours ago, Sindre said:

The formation was wrong though; if you are playing a 4-2-3-1, the last person you want leading the line is Tammy who can’t hold up the ball. 1 on top will only work if you have the 3 linking up quickly with him, can’t see it being an option till Pulisic & Ziyech are back and even then it has to be Werner you will be look to exploit his pace. 

IMO he should have gone 4-3-3 till every one is fit not switching formation, and moving players around especially the new ones. Something else that is worrying is 1st half we had James providing the width on the right, with nothing on the left, and 2nd half CHO providing width on the left with nothing on the right. We need to stop being so loopsided. 

2 hours ago, g3.7 said:

Do you post here once a year nowadays? Couldn't believe my eyes for a moment there.

3 hours ago, coco said:

Bang on Sindre.

Chilwell plays we win that game easy.

Look at the heat maps and you would wonder why we didn't romp this. WBA goalkeeper literally on the hot spot. Whilst Willy was lonesome. apart from 3 times picking the ball out of the back of the net.

aaaa.PNG

what website did you get this from?

57 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Every game is a banana skin when you make the errors we do.

6 hours ago, Droopy said:

It's 3 out of 3 terrible games in Premier League so far. People seem to conveniently forget how bad and lucky we were against Brighton - penalty with individual mistake, goal from 35 meters that will never happen again and goal from deflection. Also Dunk missed to equalize with the header that he usually scores 100/100.

Yeah, and yesterday we were largely good but individual mistakes and bad finishing cost us.

You can't have it both ways just because it suits your narrative i'm afraid.