Super Frank Lampard

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sack or Back ???  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Don't worry Andy absolutely everybody else understood what you were saying. The smiley below was developed by Gem for Yorkley years ago when his senility first started kicking in.     :irony:

It's only got worse over the decades, as well.

16 hours ago, TheSage said:

3 Wins out of 8 matches so far this season. The only standout performance was the Palace game. All the others have been mediocre to terrible. Not good enough however you dice it

No. Under another manager in their second season they would be under far more pressure.

However for me given Frank had no signings in his first season and I would sooner give  him this season and the next to build. He has the forwards he wanted and the left back and keeper. Once he has his defensive midfielder and other defenders set up let's see.

If we are still awful at the back after those full 3 years you won't find many who would disagree with that  not being good enough.

On 18/10/2020 at 21:34, forbzy said:

Certainly there is that risk with Silva at his age. However not really fair to blame Ben Chilwell for our defensive frailties last season 😉

I wasn’t blaming anything on Chilwell Forbzy, but at Right back he can do very little about the constant mistakes being made by the likes of Zouma and Christensen. Zouma was lucky again on at least 2 occasions last night, like I said we’re playing twice a week regularly, that was another high tempo game for Thiago, it’s too much to ask him to play in excess of 40 games, if we have decent cup runs we could play as many as 55 first team games, if he stays injury free we’ll be lucky to get 30 out of him if we’re sensible, to me that leaves us very vulnerable.

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

No. Under another manager in their second season they would be under far more pressure.

However for me given Frank had no signings in his first season and I would sooner give  him this season and the next to build. He has the forwards he wanted and the left back and keeper. Once he has his defensive midfielder and other defenders set up let's see.

If we are still awful at the back after those full 3 years you won't find many who would disagree with that  not being good enough.

I’m of similar thought to you. I won’t hold back like a happy clappeling cheerleader with the pom poms up going ‘Go Frank Go’ like half the people on this forum. When he makes stupid mistakes, ridiculous substitutions and crazy tactical changes as witnessed in numerous games already this season, he deserves criticism. I’m pretty sure he would be criticising another manager if he was a pundit observing Chelsea this season so he has to take it on the chin and improve. 

He really needs support though. He is not anywhere near good enough as a coach defensively. He needs to bring someone in to help with that sooner rather than later. Let’s be honest, we all want Frank to succeed more than any other because he’s an absolutely legend but he simply has to improve and he should have full support. 

Strange game last night, especially under lampard. On the one hand, it was probably our best defensive performance in a back 4 since the 2 nil home win against city under Sarri. 

Sevilla were great, well organsized, pressed as a unit, moved the ball nicely, but ultimately lacked the individual brilliance to create anything against us. 

Defensively it was a solid building block, the problems we had yesterday, are the sort of issues you would expect with so many new players. We lacked cohesion on the ball, players occupying the same spaces, resulting in too many 2 yard passes, and no player took responsibility in attack, in the way we saw Werner do against soton.

While there were positives to take from our defensive display, I think lampard again failed to react to what was happening on the pitch. 

After the 55th minute, we really struggled to get any sort of possession in Sevilla's half, we were pegged back, we could not play through the press, and we ended hitting long balls to Werner. 

It was a similar second half to Soton, but without the defensive lapses. I want to see Lampard make changes that effect the game. If we cant play out, try mount in midfield and push Havertz wide, or bring Giroud on so we actually have a chance of moving up the pitch. 

Tactically i think Lampard has a lot to improve on. A point yesterday was decent result, but i really hope we see some proactive decisions against United, if we find ourselves struggling second half like we have in the last 2 games. Plenty of options for him to choose, now he he needs to learm how to utilise them.

8 hours ago, axman2526 said:

The worrying thing for me is the fact that we're still exhibiting the same or worse defensive frailties from last season even after spending 200 odd million (more than anybody else in the league). Granted, some of that spending was to replace Pedro and Willian, but we should be seeing some improvements in the defense be it in the form of individuals or positional/organizational play.  I think we should have used the Havertz money to buy a defensive midfielder as it appears to be a major area of weakness. If our form doesn't improve with Mendy and/or Silva in the side then questions would be asked of Lampard's position and rightfully so. 

Edited by TheSage

58 minutes ago, TheSage said:

The worrying thing for me is the fact that we're still exhibiting the same or worse defensive frailties from last season even after spending 200 odd million (more than anybody else in the league). Granted, some of that spending was to replace Pedro and Willian, but we should be seeing some improvements in the defense be it in the form of individuals or positional/organizational play.  I think we should have used the Havertz money to buy a defensive midfielder as it appears to be a major area of weakness. If our form doesn't improve with Mendy and/or Silva in the side then questions would be asked of Lampard's position and rightfully so. 

In fairness Lamps has not gotten to use his defensive signings, Chilwell, Silva, James(promoted) and Mendy very often. We also did not sign the defensive midfield (Rice) he supposedly wanted.

Now many may say he is not worth it or not that good. Same said those things of Chilwell and they are starting to change their tunes.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

What defensive midfielder though? And you will pass on a talent like Havertz? The last few seasons we have struggled for creativity in the middle of the park, Jorginho who is meant to provide that creativity has been blowing hot and cold. Sorry but you can’t just pass on an Havertz if you have a chance. All he needs his a platform behind him and some patience. 

5 hours ago, TheSage said:

Defensive frailties? 

We've conceded 1 goal in 3 games this season. We have one of the best defences in the country. 

*I've now decided to not count any games when Kepa/Willy is playing. 

47 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Defensive frailties? 

We've conceded 1 goal in 3 games this season. We have one of the best defences in the country. 

*I've now decided to not count any games when Kepa/Willy is playing. 

Slow down a bit yeah? 

You can't make a statement like that based off 3 games with Mendy in goal. We are definitely much better with Mendy in goal and Silva in the back 4, but that doesn't mean we have one of the best defences in the country. 

1 hour ago, Slojo said:

Slow down a bit yeah? 

You can't make a statement like that based off 3 games with Mendy in goal. We are definitely much better with Mendy in goal and Silva in the back 4, but that doesn't mean we have one of the best defences in the country. 

😂 I wasn't being 100% serious. I know 3 is too small a sample size. But I do have a feeling

Although, there really aren't any good defences in the country currently. We haven't shipped 4+ this season and we haven't let a 3 goal lead slip. On that basis we are better than tottenham, man city, liverpool and man utd. 

14 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Every game now, the once 'Golden boy player', will be under so much scrutiny, every man jack and sh*te journo, is out to watch him manage till he fails, i've hardly read a positive review of him, "Beware the ides of Stamford Bridge"

Why is that even remotely surprising though? Lampard is one of the most "hated" figures in the modern football media, which has morphed from employing actual journalists to being dominated by glorified fan bloggers and social media commentators.

For many of the above he is so heavily associated with Chelsea (and Mourinho's Chelsea in particular) that they champ at the bit to push bizarre narratives and inflame sentiment. The same can be said about Ole Solksjaer, who is an easy scapegoat for his club's utter failings in the transfer market. Lampard gets far more respect from his fellow managers, and players, than he does from a desperate media.

1 hour ago, SydneyChelsea said:

Why is that even remotely surprising though? Lampard is one of the most "hated" figures in the modern football media, which has morphed from employing actual journalists to being dominated by glorified fan bloggers and social media commentators.

For many of the above he is so heavily associated with Chelsea (and Mourinho's Chelsea in particular) that they champ at the bit to push bizarre narratives and inflame sentiment. The same can be said about Ole Solksjaer, who is an easy scapegoat for his club's utter failings in the transfer market. Lampard gets far more respect from his fellow managers, and players, than he does from a desperate media.

The weirdest thing about the Lampard dislike is the way many use the fact he`s a fairly clever bloke to have a dig at him, its so odd.

16 hours ago, haviet1 said:

How depressing would that be, I mean he'd get decent results but it would show we've learned absolutely nothing from buying a lot of quick nimble players and then appointing Mourinho to develop them (if we wanted Jose back we should have brought the appropriate players to prepare).

If the sad time comes and we do have to part ways with Lampard fgs atleast let's appoint a manager who fits our players style this time.

3 hours ago, dkw said:

The weirdest thing about the Lampard dislike is the way many use the fact he`s a fairly clever bloke to have a dig at him, its so odd.

It really is.  Hard to remove my bias, but it does feel like every media outlet and journalist is waiting for him to fail also.  The disjointed season is 8 games old.

20 hours ago, PhilH930 said:

It really is.  Hard to remove my bias, but it does feel like every media outlet and journalist is waiting for him to fail also.  The disjointed season is 8 games old.

They wanted him to fail yet they complained why no English manager not able to manage top teams in pl.

Believe it or not but the narrative began after the altercation with the media's darling Klopp last season

Since then the attention has switched to Lampard, Liverpool have a huge volume of pundits & journalists who are starting to push this toxic view. In addition Liverpool have a pretty big and vocal fanbase presence online who are indulging in the articles justifying the venom being spouted. The sad thing is some Chelsea fans are starting to buy into that view and completely forgetting the wonders done by Lampard last season in getting us CL football without any signings whilst integrating a number of youth academy products into the first 11.

Conte, Sarri and Lampard have been good managers for us, the media just wants to destabilize our club. For some reason it looks like whole England was sleeping and waiting 30 years for Liverpool to become strong and now Liverpool is the darling of the media... 

I would stop with these narratives about the media, Liverpool, Klopp etc. Thinking those things gets you nowhere even if there’s any truth in them. I happen to think they are overdone. Which club’s fans don’t think the refs/media/fa/someone is out to get them? But for argument’s sake, let’s assume the media/fa/liverpool/world IS out to get Chelsea. It shouldn’t matter in the least. If Lampard is the real deal, he’ll succeed irrespective of what the media says/spins, just as the successful managers before him did. By the same token, if he doesn’t succeed it won’t be because of the media. 

As for Klopp, Frank shouldn’t have had that spat. I get that tempers fray in the heat of the moment, but it was a mistake and the optics were bad. He was always going to come off looking worse. This might not be a popular opinion. But if one takes the view that the media is hostile towards Chelsea, surely then Lampard is doubly at fault as it’s just more ammunition for them? The game is played on many levels. 

You're right - this thread will take off.  The league table is so congested, but a poor result this weekend will leave us on the wrong end of things,  

Although early days also, season is 16% done after this weekend.  Long way to go but everyone wants to see some consistency and results.  Start a good run tomorrow.