ForeverCarefree

Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

9 minutes ago, coco said:

No, the biggest difference is the complete dismantling of our midfield three, through injuries, and replaced with 3 young kids who want to play attacking football.

In which case, you are insinuating that no credit at all should go to the manager as one section of the team played by default.... 

35 minutes ago, coco said:

No, the biggest difference is the complete dismantling of our midfield three, through injuries, and replaced with 3 young kids who want to play attacking football.

Our new midfield

Image result for Chelsea kids playing football

28 minutes ago, Elliott said:

In which case, you are insinuating that no credit at all should go to the manager as one section of the team played by default.... 

None of us on here could have imagined that these three midfielders would somehow all clicked together like they have. So we would be harsh to expect Frank to have somehow foreseen it. Yes the seniors played by default, until a time came when we were forced through injuries to play a very inexperienced midfield.

45 minutes ago, coco said:

None of us on here could have imagined that these three midfielders would somehow all clicked together like they have. So we would be harsh to expect Frank to have somehow foreseen it. Yes the seniors played by default, until a time came when we were forced through injuries to play a very inexperienced midfield.

I do think however that the decision to go with a 4-3-3 against a predictable 4-4-2 of Don Carlo was his very own tactical decision. I thought with all the injuries he wouldn't dare to to play that "bravely" but in hindsight it was a great decision. I still believe that we need better players, but Frank has been doing a good job with what he's got, maybe even easing Gilmour into playing first in the FA Cup with the intent to play him in the league afterwards was semi-planned and not all due to circumstances. 

1 hour ago, coco said:

I think the highline is the biggest difference tbh. But it's telling that all our youngsters are the ones performing, it's been the senior players who keep letting the side down. 

2 hours ago, coco said:

I agree nearly.

For me the biggest difference, by a small margin, is that we are playing slightly longer balls to Giroud who can do something with them. The midfield are running onto those balls he either heads, flicks or chests down. Because he hasn't got the legs for the high press we are also more compact so his presence is doubly effective.

I think Billy Gilmour's tendency to pass forward also helps but the more compact set up helps the whole team.

COYB!

25 minutes ago, Andy North said:

I agree nearly.

For me the biggest difference, by a small margin, is that we are playing slightly longer balls to Giroud who can do something with them. The midfield are running onto those balls he either heads, flicks or chests down. Because he hasn't got the legs for the high press we are also more compact so his presence is doubly effective.

I think Billy Gilmour's tendency to pass forward also helps but the more compact set up helps the whole team.

COYB!

I'm glad we have reduced the painful playing out from the back that went sideways then back and sideways again  hoping to get it forward and that we now have the option of direct play too meaning we are harder to stop as we are less predictable. 

Not surprised to see that after that performance and that result, against an in-form team, that this thread is a Brutos free zone tonight.

You obviously missed my post on the match day thread where I praise the stopping of the suicidal high press and the more compact defensive shape and no space between the lines.

He seems to realise that ain't going to work and abandon it (I hope)but he can go back to it at anytime and we start shipping goals again.

So there is never a Brutos freezone after the match

1 hour ago, robdog said:

I remember after the Bournemouth match, there were many people spouting Lampard Out, I am sure those are the people raised on the FIFA games or Football Manager series

Judging by what he's done to Jose and Carlo we need to get as many of the managers he's played under in the league asap.

3 hours ago, Brutos said:

You obviously missed my post on the match day thread where I praise the stopping of the suicidal high press and the more compact defensive shape and no space between the lines.

He seems to realise that ain't going to work and abandon it (I hope)but he can go back to it at anytime and we start shipping goals again.

So there is never a Brutos freezone after the match emoji41.png

I read that post and have been keeping an eye out for it..  must say you were bang right on that one.. we have definitely stopped pressing so high all the time.. also with Kante not in the team we dont have the personal either for the Gegen

2 hours ago, robdog said:

I remember after the Bournemouth match, there were many people spouting Lampard Out, I am sure those are the people raised on the FIFA games or Football Manager series

Common FM isnt that easy.. 🙂

2 hours ago, Argo said:

Judging by what he's done to Jose and Carlo we need to get as many of the managers he's played under in the league asap.

Can we get him to play under OGS just for next week's fixture?

Irritates the hell out of me that we can’t beat United. Fair enough when we lose to Liverpool, City, Bayern etc, top managers, top teams. But United are a joke at the moment with a clown as the manager. I really hate how we struggle to beat them.

This has nothing to do with Lampard, just wanted to vent!

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Irritates the hell out of me that we can’t beat United. Fair enough when we lose to Liverpool, City, Bayern etc, top managers, top teams. But United are a joke at the moment with a clown as the manager. I really hate how we struggle to beat them.

Well put it into perspective, he's also beat Pep twice or three times this season and got a draw against Klopp when Liverpool looked invincible. So it's not just us, they seem to raise their game when it comes to the top 6. The thing is they're actually a solid side defensively and have a lot of pace on the counter, so it suits them to play on the counter attack. But when it comes to breaking teams down and playing football they're terrible, whereas we smash teams and play right through them, we just end up missing a sh*t load of chances and our defence and keeper let anything in. 

Edited by Slojo

On 11/03/2020 at 00:49, dansubrosa said:

A joke of a team? Theyve been beating everyone the last few months. United are favourites for 4th in my eyes. 

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

A joke of a team? Theyve been beating everyone the last few months. United are favourites for 4th in my eyes. 

Not for me, we have a better squad and if we can up our recent run of form we will be fine. I remember last season when they went on a run of 14 games the media kept going on about them being back, but then results dropped off a cliff after that. 

I believe they will have further blips going forward so as long as we match or beat their results we will be fine.

20 hours ago, Malcolm9 said:

Not for me, we have a better squad and if we can up our recent run of form we will be fine. I remember last season when they went on a run of 14 games the media kept going on about them being back, but then results dropped off a cliff after that. 

I believe they will have further blips going forward so as long as we match or beat their results we will be fine.

That was the Ole bounce. But now they seem genuinely solid. They are keeping a LOT of clean sheets and creating goals. 

If we were able to finish the 38 game season they have the ability to finish above us. 

On 11/03/2020 at 01:49, dansubrosa said:

What's even worse,we are the team with all the chances in those games and we can't seem to score.United probably have something like a 70% shot conversion rate in those matches considering that I don't recall them getting to our goal at all except when they score haha I think that we set up in a way that they like.It is no coincidence that they've beaten both us and City 2 times this season.They like to stay at the back and then attack the spaces when they get the ball and it usually works for them in these games where their oponnents have more of the ball.When you give them the ball they usually struggle even against lesser side.

So yeah,Frank probably messed up with the setup a bit.

11 hours ago, bisright1 said:

That was the Ole bounce. But now they seem genuinely solid. They are keeping a LOT of clean sheets and creating goals. 

If we were able to finish the 38 game season they have the ability to finish above us. 

They're a team that's spent the most out of anyone, of course they should be doing better than us. They just spent a f**kload on a new midfielder, of course they're going to improve and they probably will finish above us in the end, but we have a much better vision and future. We have good players with a lot of potential and a good manager who you can see has a good style of play but just needs the time and players to start having success with it. United won't achieve under Ole, he's garbage, they can celebrate finishing above us but that's all they're getting as long as he's at the helm. 

Our inability to convert chances into goals are well know, those 2 games against United we were at our worst. What's worse, we made some of the worst defensive mistakes in those 2 games, add them up and no wonder we got nothing. United's record against top 6 and bottom 6 are completely different, regardless how much money they have spend, under Ole and Jose there are still a team that deep defending, counter attack team that depends on opposition to makes mistakes, some could say an inferior version of Atletico Madrid.

We seem to have gone better at scoring since Giroud came back, I think it is his aerial ability to provide knock-ons which makes us so more direct and versatile compared to the normal slow predictable build up from the back.