ForeverCarefree

Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

11 minutes ago, Argo said:

Happy with most of that.

If that's all true then we clearly have the right man. Common sense and those are the 4 positions we clearly need to upgrade. 

Posted (edited)

Couldn't agree more, he has some rough edges to his coaching he needs to fine tune but i see lots of potential with his set up and all the metrics/stats point to sustainable progression.

He's done a brilliant job so far all things considered.

Edited by Argo

Just watching Dortmund v Bayern Munchen. So much more quality on those two teams than for us example. Passing, teamwork, defending 1v1 and as a unit. No shame in that but we got some way to go. Looking someone like Zouma you'd never see him start for either of these teams.

20 hours ago, evissy said:

Just watching Dortmund v Bayern Munchen. So much more quality on those two teams than for us example. Passing, teamwork, defending 1v1 and as a unit. No shame in that but we got some way to go. Looking someone like Zouma you'd never see him start for either of these teams.

Our game against Bayern was a huge wakeup call imo, we are a long way behind top level, although we had so many good players missing for that game. 

7 hours ago, Slojo said:

Our game against Bayern was a huge wakeup call imo, we are a long way behind top level, although we had so many good players missing for that game. 

Totally agree in terms of quality but a lot of the Bayern team are seasoned international players who have been to that stage of the competition before. 

on what Lampard is looking at I’m fully behind him. Before Covid-19 I thought we should have been focusing on the defence getting an experienced left back promoting maatsen as a back and a leader at centre back helping to get the best out of the younger players 

I think with getting the right players in the next few windows we could challenge for the title though what the transfer market will look like in the next few windows is anyone’s guess. The level of quality coming through from the youth team puts us in a strong position.  

Assuming Werner is done he must be very happy with our summer business so far. Ziyech + Werner is a good start.

Still a ways to go and i'd say a goalkeeper, CB and a leftback should be priority. Get that done and we would be in a very good place going into next season i'd say.

The squad is still filled with deadwood so i assume we should be able to finance most of what we spend this summer going forward with the sales.

Assuming Werner is done he must be very happy with our summer business so far. Ziyech + Werner is a good start.
Still a ways to go and i'd say a goalkeeper, CB and a leftback should be priority. Get that done and we would be in a very good place going into next season i'd say.
The squad is still filled with deadwood so i assume we should be able to finance most of what we spend this summer going forward with the sales.

I'm not sure replacing Kepa is the key to stop bleeding. As a shotstopper he is excellent or at least good enough. His main problem is controlling his own area and aerial game. With smarter defending and more quality there (think about Liverpool and VanDijk).

26 minutes ago, evissy said:
59 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I'm not sure replacing Kepa is the key to stop bleeding. As a shotstopper he is excellent or at least good enough. His main problem is controlling his own area and aerial game. With smarter defending and more quality there (think about Liverpool and VanDijk).

Funny how different opinions can be. I think he's a terrible shotstopper. Also one of the worst goalkeepers in the entire league this season and i believe replacing him with Onana for example would make a major difference.

Posted (edited)

I remember one of the big question marks over appointing Lampard as the Manager of Chelsea was whether he would be able to pull elite level players, seems like he had a major part in getting Ziyech and Werner.

Not bad for his first few signings.

Edited by Imran_CFC

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, evissy said:
1 hour ago, Sindre said:

Shot stopping is excellent? We must be seeing a different Kepa, his shot stopping is appalling, as is his one on ones, and Ariel ability,  he's simply not good enough at this level, and I don't mean top 6 level, I mean premier League  level outright.

Edited by chi blue

I honestly don't think we are going to be going in for a keeper this summer. Given what we paid for Kepa and his performance his first season compared to last season he will be given another chance. But, if he struggles in similar fashion to how he did previously, I think we will see a change. Similarly, I don't see us going in for a CB this window either. I think Frank has trust in Zouma, Fik, Rudi and Christensen and he is going to see how the team performs after adding some serious offensive threat that we needed an injection of.  I honestly think, that if we had a slightly more consistent attack, a lot of folks wouldn't be clamoring for a CB and or keeper.

6 minutes ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

I honestly don't think we are going to be going in for a keeper this summer. Given what we paid for Kepa and his performance his first season compared to last season he will be given another chance. But, if he struggles in similar fashion to how he did previously, I think we will see a change. Similarly, I don't see us going in for a CB this window either. I think Frank has trust in Zouma, Fik, Rudi and Christensen and he is going to see how the team performs after adding some serious offensive threat that we needed an injection of.  I honestly think, that if we had a slightly more consistent attack, a lot of folks wouldn't be clamoring for a CB and or keeper.

I really think something needs to be done defensively because there just seem to be too many holes in our defensive strategy, we struggle from set pieces & even more so from any semi-decent counter attack. I personally think that having a more commanding keeper would address our set piece issue immediately as currently Kepa does not command the box at all, Rudiger and Zouma are both excellent in the air yet we still seemed lost even when we had them in the back line.

In regards to counter attacks I think having a fit and firing Kante and Kovacic together could address a lot of our troubles on the counters.

In regards to a CB I would prefer getting someone who is elite and experienced to bring some leadership to the backline, if someone of that nature is not available I wouldnt bother bringing in someone young as I don't think we would be able to secure anyone at the level of Zouma/Christensen.

6 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

I really think something needs to be done defensively because there just seem to be too many holes in our defensive strategy, we struggle from set pieces & even more so from any semi-decent counter attack. I personally think that having a more commanding keeper would address our set piece issue immediately as currently Kepa does not command the box at all, Rudiger and Zouma are both excellent in the air yet we still seemed lost even when we had them in the back line.

In regards to counter attacks I think having a fit and firing Kante and Kovacic together could address a lot of our troubles on the counters.

In regards to a CB I would prefer getting someone who is elite and experienced to bring some leadership to the backline, if someone of that nature is not available I wouldnt bother bringing in someone young as I don't think we would be able to secure anyone at the level of Zouma/Christensen.

I do agree with you that Kepa does not command his box well and that is an issue when it comes to set pieces and also potentially points to a lack of strong leadership in the backline. That was one of those things Courtois and Cech did very well, the 18 yard box was theirs. It also helped them that they had JT in front of them. 

1 hour ago, Slojo said:

A left back has to be priority, Emerson and Alonso are not good enough.

I'm scared we'd get Chilwell who's no better.

Pressure will be on Frank next season, i think he's done great this season all things considered and i'll maintain that even if we drop to 7th but with two attacking match winners signed, what appears to be his choice of LB coming (i don't rate him but he's Frank's choice so he'll have to take some responsibility if he flops) and the young guys being a year older he will be under much more pressure to deliver and i'd imagine top 4 is minimum requirement.

8 hours ago, Argo said:

Pressure will be on Frank next season, i think he's done great this season all things considered and i'll maintain that even if we drop to 7th but with two attacking match winners signed, what appears to be his choice of LB coming (i don't rate him but he's Frank's choice so he'll have to take some responsibility if he flops) and the young guys being a year older he will be under much more pressure to deliver and i'd imagine top 4 is minimum requirement.

With these three signings I'd expect top 4 and a trophy. 

23 hours ago, Argo said:

Not to mention we would be getting absolutely ripped off due to the English player tax you get at a top Premier League club. 

EZwWYlCX0AAbhP_?format=jpg&name=small

You need to work on your accent Timo but no worries just hold on a sec mate I got Havertz on hold and Chilwell is begging me to call him back...

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

You need to work on your accent Timo but no worries just hold on a sec mate I got Havertz on hold and Chilwell is begging me to call him back...

Also I need to meet Chachi at Arnolds Restaurant...HEY!!!!!!

What in the name of Fonzie is this?! [emoji23]

Interesting to see what these big money signings will do for the pressure of ensuring CL football for next term. If we manage to sign these 3 touted big money deals during the games how much does Frank and the boys feel they have to make top 4...

4 hours ago, evissy said:

Interesting to see what these big money signings will do for the pressure of ensuring CL football for next term. If we manage to sign these 3 touted big money deals during the games how much does Frank and the boys feel they have to make top 4...

It would be minimum requirement.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, evissy said:
1 hour ago, Argo said:
It would be minimum requirement.

The media will pressurise Frank in a new way even they are not allowed to play this season.

Sorry I completely misread your post as for our placing's next season.

This season he deserves a free pass (unless we completely collapse) but with two possibly even three (Havertz rumours aren't going away) game changers coming in then top 4 is the minimum next time round.

Edited by Argo