Super Frank Lampard

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sack or Back ???  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

This poll is closed to new votes

I have followed the EPL for about a decade, but I never had a "club" until I saw Chelsea play Leicester at the home opener. Talk about a great season to become a true fan.

The club lost its best player, had a transfer ban, have dealt with lots of injuries, and Frank has them competing to win the FA Cup and finish top-three in the table. From watching Chelsea Unseen, it seems like Lampard is both a motivator and tactical manager. He may not be as clinical tactically as Jose (at least right now), and he absolutely has struggled tactically at points this season, but he does let that stop him from truly experimenting. Meanwhile, all of the young players say nothing but great things about how much they love the "man" as a mentor, not just a traditional tactical manager.

We also must stay a bit humble and remember that the transfer ban didn't affect Lampard that much, we got a boost of Pulisic, Mount, Tammy which have been our best attacking players this season and Willian still occasionally delivers as well. Other top managers in the league throughout this seasons have been praising our squad and saying that we do have a great team. 

At the start of the season it didn't matter to me what position we get but after seeing how good we are and how good we can get (and also comparing our team to our nearest rivals on the table) it looks very natural that we are still competing in the FA Cup and that we can still finish top 3 just like last season, that all shows that Lampard is truly a special legend and that the club didn't let us down as much as the media was always hinting.

4 hours ago, Jezz said:

United always kill us on the counter attack. Frank has to find a way to get around it, as they've done it to us three times this season.

We used to match up better against them when Ferguson was manager, but they've caused us big issues in recent years.

It's the only way OGS can play, United will never go anywhere under him because smaller teams can take points off them. But against the top sides he seems to have quite a bit of success. We really need to setup differently and make this an unnattractive game. 

Hernan Crespo speaking highly of Frank. Still love Crespo after all these years.

Another great manager fighting in the top half of the Premier League table is his old Blues team-mate Lampard, who is in the hunt for a top-four finish in his first season in charge. 

'Frankie now as the manager of Chelsea – I think it's beautiful,' Crespo admits. 'Chelsea now have a good mix of experienced and young players. I think they have started to build something different than before. 

They spent a lot of money on building young players in their academy, who now have the opportunity to play. I think it's the vision of the club now – to try and have young players in the first XI. 

'As well as Frank, John Terry showed great leadership inside the changing room. Both were great leaders and it doesn't surprise me now they are both coaches.'

Although Crespo didn't play in England for long, only featuring in two campaigns for the Blues before heading back to Italy until the conclusion of his career, he still has fond memories of life at the Bridge.

During his time at the club, he won the Premier League in 2005-06 and also picked up the Community Shield.

'I was very comfortable in Italy and it was my dream to play in Serie A, but when I had the chance to join the Premier League I said, "wow" and for Chelsea, "wow". 

'I remember Luca Vialli and Ruud Gullit playing for them and I thought that Chelsea would be a great opportunity for me,' he adds. 'When I joined Chelsea, my experience was unbelievable. 

'The way English people understand football and live football is incredible. It's not completely different from Argentina, where the atmosphere in the stadiums is also amazing.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8459395/Crespo-Ancelotti-mentor-beautiful-Chelsea-succeed-Lampard.html

Edited by Jezz

12 minutes ago, Jezz said:

Hernan Crespo speaking highly of Frank. Still love Crespo after all these years.

Another great manager fighting in the top half of the Premier League table is his old Blues team-mate Lampard, who is in the hunt for a top-four finish in his first season in charge. 

'Frankie now as the manager of Chelsea – I think it's beautiful,' Crespo admits. 'Chelsea now have a good mix of experienced and young players. I think they have started to build something different than before. 

They spent a lot of money on building young players in their academy, who now have the opportunity to play. I think it's the vision of the club now – to try and have young players in the first XI. 

'As well as Frank, John Terry showed great leadership inside the changing room. Both were great leaders and it doesn't surprise me now they are both coaches.'

Although Crespo didn't play in England for long, only featuring in two campaigns for the Blues before heading back to Italy until the conclusion of his career, he still has fond memories of life at the Bridge.

During his time at the club, he won the Premier League in 2005-06 and also picked up the Community Shield.

'I was very comfortable in Italy and it was my dream to play in Serie A, but when I had the chance to join the Premier League I said, "wow" and for Chelsea, "wow". 

'I remember Luca Vialli and Ruud Gullit playing for them and I thought that Chelsea would be a great opportunity for me,' he adds. 'When I joined Chelsea, my experience was unbelievable. 

'The way English people understand football and live football is incredible. It's not completely different from Argentina, where the atmosphere in the stadiums is also amazing.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8459395/Crespo-Ancelotti-mentor-beautiful-Chelsea-succeed-Lampard.html

BestCars
AutoExpress | Car News
Auto Express deliver motoring news stories, pictures, drives of new cars and car reviews.
www.AutoExpress.co.uk/BestCars

Nice to hear that from Crespo.

Never one of our greats as he was not long around long enough for me yet no doubting his quality. 

Both he and Jody need to have a look in the mirror and figure out what the f**k is going on with us from set plays. 

It’s absolutely disgraceful how bad we are at defending set plays, it’s not just now and again. It’s literally every ball in to the box looks like it’s going to be a goal.

It’s seriously holding us back. We are probably one of if not the worst team I’ve ever seen defending set pieces. You see better defending at the park on a Sunday morning. 

They’re young and learning but this needs to be sorted for next season. It’s easy to target us, you just play for set pieces and you’re guaranteed chances.

5 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Both he and Jody need to have a look in the mirror and figure out what the f**k is going on with us from set plays. 

I'm more worried that he's tinkered with working formula's not once but twice. As much as our set plays need improvement were they a big deal in the Autumn when we won 9 in 11? Were they a problem vs Everton and Liverpool pre lockdown? 

Zouma and one of Rudi/Tomori together.

Jorgi/Billy, Kova, Mount midfield. 

Go back to what was working so well for god sake.

Go back to the team that looked promising and go from there. If we lose top 4 due to growing pains then f**k it, our ultimate goal is to build a side to challenge City and Liverpool and the longer these sh*thouse selections get rolled out the more regression we make on said ultimate goal.

Edited by Argo

Feel sorry for Frank having to watch defending like that.

Although I think choosing Barkley over Mount was a mistake.

Ross may of scored the winner on Sunday but I also remember him messing up a couple of counter attacks where we had overloads.

Our football and pressing is faster and better when Mount plays.

4 minutes ago, Argo said:

I'm more worried that he's tinkered with working formula's not once but twice. As much as our set plays need improvement were they a big deal in the Autumn when we won 9 in 11? Were they a problem vs Everton and Liverpool pre lockdown? 

Go back to the team that looked promising and go from there. If we lose top 4 due to growing pains then f**k it, our ultimate goal is to build a side to challenge City and Liverpool and the longer these sh*thouse selections get rolled out the more regression we make on said ultimate goal.

Yes, it really was. The reason why we got those wins was because our attacking players, especially Abraham, were getting the goals. As soon as the goals slowed down just a tiny bit, the defense became an even bigger issue.

I do agree that he is tinkering too much though. Like you say, twice he found a winning formula and he moved away from it, and it seems like he moved away from it to fit Kante in both times. The defense is an issue with both the players and coaching, that can only be fixed by Lampard and the coaching team learning or bringing in a defensive coach and replacing some of the players. As for the midfield, as much as I like Kante, if he doesn't fit the system, then he doesn't fit the system. Shoe horning in a player is no good for team chemistry.

Frankie, you are a problem.

Repeating the same mistakes every day is something that cannot be admitted.

I do not know any TOP team that reaches the end of a season and it is not known how to recognize their starting defense or their starting midfield.

The team does not know how to defend.
A corner is half a goal for the opponent.
We are butter back there.
And it's not just the players who are to blame.
Which are not that bad.

Why not hire an excellent defensive assistant coach?
Neither at the beginning of the season nor in the middle of the season, when it is evident that Frankie cannot do anything about it, nor does he know how to do it.

The team has the same virtues and the same problems since day 1.

It is unbelievable the amount of games and points we lost due to completely stupid mistakes and with a clear responsibility of the coach.

I like you, but if you are not able to learn from mistakes, self-criticize and evolve, please leave.

2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Yes, it really was. The reason why we got those wins was because our attacking players, especially Abraham, were getting the goals. As soon as the goals slowed down just a tiny bit, the defense became an even bigger issue.

I do agree that he is tinkering too much though. Like you say, twice he found a winning formula and he moved away from it, and it seems like he moved away from it to fit Kante in both times. The defense is an issue with both the players and coaching, that can only be fixed by Lampard and the coaching team learning or bringing in a defensive coach and replacing some of the players. As for the midfield, as much as I like Kante, if he doesn't fit the system, then he doesn't fit the system. Shoe horning in a player is no good for team chemistry.

It was an issue similar to how it is for City, it's there but winning most weeks so don't matter as much.

On another note my expectations for the season and how i'm assessing Lampard have changed. Before the return i would have not had a negative word to say if we finished anywhere in the top 7 because i assumed we would carry on with the building process and if that came at the expense of top 4 then that's f**k it, bigger picture.

However now we've resorted to sh*t house selections and tactics, he has to justify that by getting results, so top 4 and the Cup final.

17 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

It’s absolutely disgraceful how bad we are at defending set plays, it’s not just now and again. It’s literally every ball in to the box looks like it’s going to be a goal.

It’s seriously holding us back. We are probably one of if not the worst team I’ve ever seen defending set pieces. You see better defending at the park on a Sunday morning. 

They’re young and learning but this needs to be sorted for next season. It’s easy to target us, you just play for set pieces and you’re guaranteed chances.

You can set that team up anyway you like the problem is the team is too small.

We really need a world class centre back but even then it doesn't solve the set piece problems. We only really had 3 players over 6 foot tammy and the two centre backs when they scored.

After watching the game the real problem is creating chances. Apart from the Pulisic chance we created nothing in the first half. 

1 minute ago, Scott Harris said:

The harsh reality is, we've rarely had good performances this season with Kante in the side, as soon as Lampard had this obsession with accomodating Kante we started to lose games and our performances dipped big time. 

However, that's not just it, our defence is just really bad, it has been all season, but we were at least out scoring our problems and playing good football, now we're not scoring goals anymore, and our football was atrocious last game. 

13 minutes ago, Slojo said:

The harsh reality is, we've rarely had good performances this season with Kante in the side, as soon as Lampard had this obsession with accomodating Kante we started to lose games and our performances dipped big time. 

However, that's not just it, our defence is just really bad, it has been all season, but we were at least out scoring our problems and playing good football, now we're not scoring goals anymore, and our football was atrocious last game. 

I think Frank knows the back 4 is poor and that't why he's tried to put Kante in front to help them out defensively. Kante and Jorginho are totally different players. The defence needs an overhaul but who do you buy there isn't a load of great centre backs out there. 

We have bought two attacking players already and after watching the team tonight we created one chance in the first half i think it speaks volumes. 

Just now, Belfast_blue5 said:

I think Frank knows the back 4 is poor and that't why he's tried to put Kante in front to help them out defensively. Kante and Jorginho are totally different players. The defence needs an overhaul but who do you buy there isn't a load of great centre backs out there. 

We have bought two attacking players already and after watching the team tonight we created one chance in the first half i think it speaks volumes. 

The thing is, what can we do about it? We didn't want to buy in January due to the inflation in that transfer window. So it doesn't matter, we have to play with a sh*t defence, the best thing we can do is play to our strengths which is the attack. Something we've stopped doing, right now there's nothing we can really do about the defence. 

Buying the right centreback is going to be a tricky job. A left back has to be a priority though, we can't go through the season with Alonso/Emerson. 

10 minutes ago, Belfast_blue5 said:

The best way to protect the defense is keeping possession and playing on the front foot.

5 minutes ago, Argo said:

The best way to protect the defense is keeping possession and playing on the front foot.

We had 71% of the possession tonight the problem is creating chances. Apart from the Pulisic chance we didnt have anything else in the first half. We got into a number of good positions we couldn't play that final ball. 

2 hours ago, Argo said:

I remember that Kova, Jorgi, and Mount midfield. They all looked like super stars. What happened? Did Kova and Jorgi pissed on Frank's shoes?

32 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Kante recovered from his injury.

Mount has played all 32 games so far (27 as a starter), Kova 28 (20 as a starter), Jorgi 26 (23 as a starter). 

This illusion that Kante ruined "super stars" is hilarious :bf-freakparty:

9 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Kepa, Rudiger and Christiansen, just simply aren't good enough, and no matter how much they are coached, they just haven't got it