Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

1 minute ago, ForeverCarefree said:

When you consider he had no Pulisic, Zieych, Chilwell, Silva or Mendy today that's half the team that's likely to be different when everyone is fit. 

Hard to judge Lampard or his team selections/tactics until then. 

He could have gone 

James Zouma AC Azpi

Kante Mount/Kova Havertz

CHO Giroud/Tammy Werner

1 minute ago, ForeverCarefree said:

When you consider he had no Pulisic, Zieych, Chilwell, Silva or Mendy today that's half the team that's likely to be different when everyone is fit. 

Until the sending off we had the game more or less under control. Defending deep and not creating much but we didn't concede big chances. After the red we were always going to have no chance. Maybe we would have back in the day when our defense + goalkeeper was world-class but you can forget about it these days. 

Not going to blame Lampard today. We are missing half the team as you pointed out and individual errors is what cost us again.

Just now, Frankie8Lampard said:

I honestly feel there’s a bit of an overreaction on frank’s selection. Other than letting kepa play I honestly feel frank approached the game the right way. Did people really expect us to go all out attacking against Liverpool?

You play to your strength and let them worry about you. The tactics today seem to be about containing Liverpool, and fingers crossed nick a point or 3. 

2 minutes ago, Deino said:

He could have gone 

James Zouma AC Azpi

Kante Mount/Kova Havertz

CHO Giroud/Tammy Werner

Okay? But that's still nowhere near to the team he's going to pick with everyone fit so my point still stands. 

Personally I thought the tactics were working up to the sending off. Liverpool had plenty of the ball but were creating nothing, if anything we were creating the better openings. 

1 minute ago, Sindre said:

Until the sending off we had the game more or less under control. Defending deep and not creating much but we didn't concede big chances. After the red we were always going to have no chance. Maybe we would have back in the day when our defense + goalkeeper was world-class but you can forget about it these days. 

Not going to blame Lampard today. We are missing half the team as you pointed out and individual errors is what cost us again.

Agreed. We've got to remember that we were playing the champions of England today and side that were scoring goals for fun last season and we had the worst defence out of the top 10 sides. 

I had no issue with tactics we deployed considering the number of first team players that were unavailable. 

It's always disappointing to lose but I struggle to level blame at Lampard. 

1 minute ago, ducavis said:

You play to your strength and let them worry about you. The tactics today seem to be about containing Liverpool, and fingers crossed nick a point or 3. 

I get that but I feel playing to contain Liverpool was the right decision given the injuries we have and the the threat of their front three against either of our goalkeepers that aren’t that good. One of frank’s criticisms last season was that he went all out in all games and I thought the first half before the red card showed maturity from him.

5 minutes ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

I get that but I feel playing to contain Liverpool was the right decision given the injuries we have and the the threat of their front three against either of our goalkeepers that aren’t that good. One of frank’s criticisms last season was that he went all out in all games and I thought the first half before the red card showed maturity from him.

I agree. We showed a more disciplined approach in the first half and might well have caught Liverpool on the counter as the game went on. The red card obviously made a huge impact on the game and it was always going to be difficult to get any sort of result after that. Especially when you factor in the predictable gaffe from Kepa.

I don't know if that the 4th or the 5th time in a row against top team that he goes for 3 in the mid and Mount up front. He surely went for this toothless formation in FA Cup Final and at Anfield I don't recall before that but for sure most of the games we were 3 in the mid and mister non-threat Mount in front. 

23 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I don't know. Even with those injuries, I still think he could have set us up better. With Ziyech and Pulisic injured, Pedro and Willian gone, we are begging for a winger on the pitch. Maybe Lampard isn't happy with how Hudson-Odoi is training, but lets see what he can do on the pitch. We need width.

I also thought it was a strange move to play Alonso against Salah and Alexander-Arnold. If we are going to play him, then Lampard could have set us up with a back 5 and play Giroud up front with Werner playing off him. I think we would have been in a much stronger position had we done that.

Even with the injuries, I don't think Lampard is in such a terrible position to the point where we need to be ultra defensive.

Edited by Scott Harris

This excuse about players being out don't wash with me, are you telling me Leeds team last week is better that the team we put our or is it the manager that's better? 

I mean even before the red card you could see the inevitable Liverpool goal they control the pace tempo 

Edited by Brutos
Just now, Brutos said:

This excuse about players being out don't wash with me, are you telling me Leeds team last week is better that the team we put our or is it the manager that's better? 

We had a player less for the whole second half which in itself solved the game for Liverpool by default. Leeds also plays with low expectations and no pressure compared to us.

1 minute ago, Gol15 said:

We had a player less for the whole second half which in itself solved the game for Liverpool by default. Leeds also plays with low expectations and no pressure compared to us.

Before the red Liverpool had control of the game...we looked like a team scared 

Alonso, Kepa, and Christensen deserve all the rotten veg thrown at them they get, but that midfield K-J-K is going under the radar and avoiding the flak. This is their 3rd season together and you would think they just met. 

At one point today (1st half) we made our best move in the game, it ended up with Kante in a great position to shoot inside right of the Lvpool penalty area, it was a move that deserved at least a shot on goal, instead, we end up 10 seconds later, in our own penalty area with Kepa booting the ball off the pitch, we went backwards with the ball quicker than we went forwards with the ball. They are about as productive as a dead hen.

37 minutes ago, Brutos said:

Looking at this fixture list I would normally say we win them but not anymore 

056253D0-BBDF-4AA6-A2DD-F99212511A76.png

With no fans, the advantage for the bigger sides lessens at home that's for sure. The smaller sides likely have less pressure on them without fans in the stadium, so they feel more free to go out and take it the bigger sides. 

54 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Okay? But that's still nowhere near to the team he's going to pick with everyone fit so my point still stands. 

Personally I thought the tactics were working up to the sending off. Liverpool had plenty of the ball but were creating nothing, if anything we were creating the better openings. 

Agreed. We've got to remember that we were playing the champions of England today and side that were scoring goals for fun last season and we had the worst defence out of the top 10 sides. 

I had no issue with tactics we deployed considering the number of first team players that were unavailable. 

It's always disappointing to lose but I struggle to level blame at Lampard. 

That’s all well and good but we had 11 players that are better than Leeds 11 players individually, yet we set up like we were the newly promoted side against Liverpool when you compare the two games. Liverpool didn’t get out of second gear against us.

It’s still early days in the season and no pre-season is obviously a massive factor and the missing players but Lampard is getting far more protection than any other manager would in the circumstances. He got it wrong today and I don’t think people are being unfair to criticise him for it.

1 minute ago, EdinburghBlue said:

You don’t think Liverpool had that game under control mate? We hadn’t registered a shot on target in the whole first half. I think that’s a pretty fair assessment. 

No, not really. They had more ball but weren't doing anything with it, we were drawing them out to get behind them and hit them on transition, and it was working to a point, no shots on target us a misnomer as we had created chances. How it would lt have went in the 2nd half is anyone's guess (until that f**kwit ruined it) but I don't either team were exactly in control, we weren't  being dominated in any way. 

Cool down people. Early days. We are depleted with injuries with key players, no pre-season after changing half the squad. We would have done amazingly well winning Liverpool who is unchanged for 3 seasons in a row. 

I feel so good watching Timo and Kai knowing we have Ziyech, Pulisic, Silva and Mendy coming on very soon. 

This loss hurts today and probably tomorrow.. Win the next 3 with new guys shining and no one remembers this loss. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

What? The whole purpose of picking lineups is to pick the best lineup possible. Not having placeholders whilst waiting for other players to get fit. 

The tactics were so poor though. It felt like we were a newly promoted side soaking up pressure and going long. There isn't a system to us pressing at all.

It's all over the place.

15 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

You don’t think Liverpool had that game under control mate? We hadn’t registered a shot on target in the whole first half. I think that’s a pretty fair assessment. 

I hated the tactics (would rather lose toe to toe than play like this given we're suppose to be building towards something more sustainable) but they were doing the job in terms of what it was meant to do, Liverpool created jack all and we were looking good for a 0-0.

Edited by Argo

Liverpool didnt create a single chance until the second half, if anything we were starting to get a foothold on the game in the 10 minutes before the sending off. 

Tactically i dont think it was bad from lampard, but the execution in possession wasnt good enough, especially in the middle of the park, whete i thought Kovacic, Kante ,and Jorginho didnt really play well. Very pedestrian, struggled to get the ball forward, and when we did, we either didnt see the right pass early enough, or we ended playing it back. 

I think we have to think of this month as preseason, hopefully with the fixtures we have coming up, we can get some fitness, form and momentum to really bring some belief.