Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

I am a little disappointed by the lack of patience here.. some folks have an agenda of trying to prove themselves right but others it seems are really showing a lack of patience.. in Klopps second season Liverpool finished 4th losing 12 times having spent 160 million pounds! Next summer they added Allison and it started coming together! 

Moral of the story have some patience folks.. 

When I realized we have a non pre season and Liverpool the second match I felt it is always going to be tough. On top of that Pulisic, Ziyech and Chilwell not fit and Silva not ready I gave us little chance of winning. 

The positives of the two games is if we had Mendy or Caballero in goal we'd have only 1 goal conceded from two matches. We have also been very solid defending corners. One of the glaring negative things from the last season and already we look like we are on a good path fixing that. 

Also Timo and Kai look very good, especially Timo. Kai needs a bit more time to really hit the ground running. Once our lads start playing through him we will see us creating chances and goals in a new way. 

You will also be surprised how good Ziyech is. 

I can't be more excited about our season and our chances. Let's put this game behind and give Frank our full support. 

9 hours ago, PhilH930 said:

I'm going to come down a little hard on Lampard here, as imo the buck stops with him with the gaps we continue to see.  Yes there are external factors/influences, but he has to be stronger.  Before the game I was of the opinion that a loss was not going to define our season.  I did not expect this manner of defeat.  The gaps were appalling - we never laid a glove on Liverpool.

- Tactics - there is so much to unpack here. Klopp was playing chess, Frank playing checkers.  Liverpool came for the win and that mentality was evident from kick off.  Chelsea were playing not to lose.  You always know how Chelsea's result will be from the first 3 minutes, and we were second best from kick off.  Beyond that, and this is where I really hold Frank accountable, he continues to play players out of position.  Last week was Havertz in RW, which I know some say he can do.  Timo had a very effective game against Brighton, so what did Frankioula do - of course move him to left wing.  Kante as the headless chicken.  Let him defend - the one time he had the box in the Liverpool penalty box it ended up back with Kepa.  Why is it so hard to play your best players in their best positions.  We jam in every central midfielder we have and as a result have no pace or ability to get in behind teams.  Is it such a risk to play Odoi today when you look what Mount gives us at LW

- Selection - what has Kepa done in the off season to earn the place back from Willy.  According to Frank, we haven't had a preseason, so what changed?  From my eyes, nothing as the clown makes the same mistakes week after week.  Layer on the midfield trio which doesn't quite work, Mount at LW and the back four which we all know.

- Fitness - according to Frank, we haven't had a preseason.  He needs a long hard look in the mirror as neither have any other sides but they aren't struggling with lethargic tones.  Move past it and demand more.

- Availability - while I understand some players arrived injured or delayed, what the hell is going on with injuries.  We must improve management of this, and Frank needs to set that expectation to the club.  How have Liverpool signed a player Friday and he is already doing damage to us Sunday.  If that were us, he'd be wrapped up warm at home as "he hasn't had a preseason"

- Decision Making - individual errors time and time again cost us.  We keep repeating the mistakes.  Frank can't eradicate the individual mistakes, but he can stop selecting the perpetrators  

- Predictability - compounded the individual mistakes, at HT we said one thing - Liverpool will score within 3 mins of the restart.  I've never seen such a fragile Chelsea team

- Leadership/Character/Spine - it is just not there with 80%+ of the team playing today.

Frank's a nice guy, and I think that might be the biggest problem.  Get ruthless, quickly.  Again the result is irrelevant; the manner of the defeat is not.  Expecting immediate improvement, and if we don't start to see that I have no room for sentiment.

- Tactics - Liverpool are the current league champions and are possibly the best team in europe, they are also a very settled side playing to a tactic set by theur manager they have used for 3/4 seasons and are totally in tune with it. we are a side with new players coming in and still settling into a playing style that a relatively new manager is trying to build, of course we are going to play to contain Liveprool as much as try and win. This was definitely working in the first half as we stifled their creativity and made it so they had no chances, while we had a few decent ones, and at least one we should really have scored from. This all collapsed after the red card and Kepa`s latest brain fart. If Lampard had set up to attack and we had been picked of then you and your ilk would have moaned he  had also got that wrong.

- Selection - why is he a clown exactly? This just shows your pathetic agenda against him and your "amazing insight" is entirely clouded by this. Mount didnt play left wing, same as Havertz didnt play right wing, or Werner didnt play centre. Nothing shows me someone is clueless as this kind of garbage, seeing a graphic on Sky showing a player there does not mean he will play there, and certainly does not mean he will constantly be there all game. All three of our attackers roamed the pitch, they were constantly interchanging, taking turns to drop deep, if anything we played an almost 2 up front in Havertz and Werner with Mount behind them.

- Fitness -Absolute garbage, many other teams have looked under-prepared and lethargic, this weekend we saw Arsenal getting schooled by West Ham, Utd looked totally of the pace, even Leciester in the first half looked shonky. Last week Liverpools midfield and defence was a shambles and totally out paced by Leeds.

- Availability - So players being injured is now Lampards fault? All based on Liverpool signing a player who played? Of our players who couldnt play one was down to isolation and not being ready, two was were carrying an injury from last season, only one had gotten injured while at the club, and that was while playing. 

- Decision Making - The mistakes are made by several players, so is he to stop  picking them all? Maybe he should play some 17 year olds in central defence then as all of our centre backs have made mistakes leading to goals.

- Predictability - several times last season Lampards half time talk totally changed our side leading to very early goals and an impetuous that lead to wins also.

- Leadership/Character/Spine - Agree with this, thats why we have brought in Silva and are looking to bring in Rice, we lack vocal leaders on the pitch, thats obvious.

Edited by dkw
18 minutes ago, dkw said:

- Selection - why is he a clown exactly? This just shows your pathetic agenda against him and your "amazing insight" is entirely clouded by this. 

Oh come on. We've conceded three goals this season and 2 of them are 100% kepas fault. 

Frank is at fault for that. He made the correct decision to drop him but made a mistake bringing him back. 

1 minute ago, bisright1 said:

Oh come on. We've conceded three goals this season and 2 of them are 100% kepas fault. 

Frank is at fault for that. He made the correct decision to drop him but made a mistake bringing him back. 

I misread it as him claiming Lampard is a clown.

11 hours ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

This isn’t true. It’s only a few people here. If anything the media have been more kinder to Lampard than some here considering the consensus is that Chelsea will only get better as the team gels. They’ve literally only been criticizing kepa.

An online forum is only a fraction of Chelsea fans opinions I know a lot of Chelsea fans who are concerned. The media are sharpening the knives and will be out if we lose to WBA. I agree they were largely supportive of him last year but after spending £200 million and the spending hasn't finished they will come down hard if results are poor.

On 21/09/2020 at 09:45, bisright1 said:

It's not exactly Lampards fault we haven't brought in a new goalkeeper yet. Caballero isn't exactly a top class goalkeeper either and for all we know Lampard have been specifically asked by the higher-ups to give Kepa one last chance to show signs of improvement. It was likely the last chance the club would ever have to get something back for him but Kepa obviously failed his test again.

Judge him when the season is over and we are somewhat close to our strongest XI. We are missing five or six starters. Lampard said himself post-match yesterday that he simply haven't had time to build an offensive system yet with his new players because of injuries/no pre-season and that things are going to take a littlebit of time. Everyone should be able to understand that considering the circumstances.

6 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

An online forum is only a fraction of Chelsea fans opinions I know a lot of Chelsea fans who are concerned. The media are sharpening the knives and will be out if we lose to WBA. I agree they were largely supportive of him last year but after spending £200 million and the spending hasn't finished they will come down hard if results are poor.

Just how will they come down hard ?

5 hours ago, Jangz said:

I am a little disappointed by the lack of patience here.. some folks have an agenda of trying to prove themselves right but others it seems are really showing a lack of patience.. in Klopps second season Liverpool finished 4th losing 12 times having spent 160 million pounds! Next summer they added Allison and it started coming together! 

Moral of the story have some patience folks.. 

Every time I see this comparison I shake my head Klopp was proven winner who has built successful teams, Lampard has only got a team to a championship playoff.

This is not the  comparison you should be making.

Let's take Mane, Salah, TAA etc out of Liverpool's starting XI and see if they are as good.

Prior to getting Alison and VVD they were pretty suspect, I see us being in a similar position they were a few years back. We just need time to gel and to have all of our main players involved, then we can judge.

I think that is the last game we will see Kepa in a Chelsea kit, there is no way we can continue with him after giving him the benefit of the doubt to play yesterday, you just cannot make those mistakes at all at any level.

32 minutes ago, Brutos said:

Every time I see this comparison I shake my head Klopp was proven winner who has built successful teams, Lampard has only got a team to a championship playoff.

This is exactly how I see it,klopp was brilliant manager before Liverpool.

1 hour ago, chi blue said:

Haven’t bothered scrolling through all the bollox spouted on these pages, but simple thing is, we have loads of injuries and still the game was even until the sending off, crap goalkeeping and a poncy penalty miss, against second best team in Europe, not all’s bad! UTC

And it appears that no-one noticed Werner missed two clear chances, one of which my dog would have put in the back of the net, and he's been dead for 10 years.  Could easily have been 3-2, but let's turn on the manager and concentrate on the bollocks, eh?  My stream died just as the penalty was awarded and didn't come back until some minutes later so I didn't know whether we had missed it, it had been saved or VAR had overturned it.

Also, Mane wasn't within 12 feet of the ball when Christensen cuddled him to the floor and he had no chance of getting to it before Kepa cleared it.  Very poor red card, in my opinion, it was never a goal scoring opportunity, but the referee and VAR saw a chance and took it.  Totally stupid move by Christensen, but never a red card.

6 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

And it appears that no-one noticed Werner missed two clear chances, one of which my dog would have put in the back of the net, and he's been dead for 10 years.  Could easily have been 3-2, but let's turn on the manager and concentrate on the bollocks, eh?  My stream died just as the penalty was awarded and didn't come back until some minutes later so I didn't know whether we had missed it, it had been saved or VAR had overturned it.

Also, Mane wasn't within 12 feet of the ball when Christensen cuddled him to the floor and he had no chance of getting to it before Kepa cleared it.  Very poor red card, in my opinion, it was never a goal scoring opportunity, but the referee and VAR saw a chance and took it.  Totally stupid move by Christensen, but never a red card.

Someone said before that VAR is not used to check for a yellow card only goals and red cards... The ref first gave Christensen a yellow but then still went on to check if he should actually give him a red, thus he didn't care about the VAR rules because he was actually reviewing the yellow card and turned it into a red. It's all good since it's Liverpool I guess...

18 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Someone said before that VAR is not used to check for a yellow card only goals and red cards... 

That's what the ref did, he checked VAR to see if a red card incident had occured, which it had. 

Don't think we can have too many grumbles about Christensen's sending off yesterday. If you're the last man with no other defenders around and you bring down the attacker with only the goalie left to beatr you're almost certain to get a red. 

3 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

That's what the ref did, he checked VAR to see if a red card incident had occured, which it had. 

Don't think we can have too many grumbles about Christensen's sending off yesterday. If you're the last man with no other defenders around and you bring down the attacker with only the goalie left to beatr you're almost certain to get a red. 

He already gave him a yellow though. The rules say that yellow cards are not checked, not even if it's a second yellow. I know that it's a red but then he should have waited first and then after reviewing just give him a red. 

So far in the first two games of the season we have been without 5 players who would be considered first team

Mendy, Chilwell, Thiago Silva, Ziyech and Pulisic

That's almost half the first 11 missing. Adding a competent GK, a pacy LB and a hugely experienced CB who is also a leader to our back line will make a huge amount of difference IMO

Frank has obviously been playing a bit more defensive in these two games due to our defensive issues and you can see why. Kepa has been directly at fault for 2 of the 3 goals we've conceded so far and it's only taken Christensen two games to do something stupid. 

Also, Pulisic and Ziyech will make a huge difference in our attack. Pulisic is easily our best attacker at carrying the ball forward and Ziyech is probably our most creative player.

It's a long season and once we have everyone fit and ready we'll be looking a lot better

1 hour ago, Brutos said:

It’s not about Lampard or Klopp it’s about managers getting time.. by your logic a proven manager like Klopp should have taken even lesser time but he still took 18-24 months to build a team with signings.. 

So if lamps had won something previously you are willing to be patient and not in this case..?? I shake my head to that.. You are either patient and give managers time or you don’t .. 

also on match day thread you keep comparing us to Leeds - how is that a valid comparison ?

Edited by Jangz

Not sure Lampard could have done much else in the game, before the moment of madness we were comfortable and that's what you'd accept against the title holder, especially given the players we missed. Sure, Kepa shouldn't play, but he was not troubled until we were a man down. Christensen was picked because there were no other options, god knows what happened to Rudiger since he missed out on the team sheet. Mount was on the wing, because there was no alternative, we want to see CHO, but haven't seen performances out of him after the season restart  months ago.

1 hour ago, Brutos said:

What record of success did Pep have before Barca him one of the biggest jobs in club management? 

Frank has been appointed for reasons other than his history in management. 

The disconnect the fans had with Sarri's drab football and cold personality will also have had a bearing on Frank's appointment. He's being tasked with not only rebuilding the team but also the club's image. You only have to look at his approach to the media and the club putting out the series on the website/YouTube/5th stand app after last season all focusing on what Frank is implementing at the club.

It's essentially properganda on the club's part because they want the fans to buy into the philosophy they're investing in with Frank the poster boy of it. 

It's been long reported that Frank's appointment is part of a 3 year rebuild plan (much like Klopp at Liverpool). This is the first time under Roman that the club aren't focusing on the short term, it's about putting a foundation in place for the next 5+ years. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I wouldn't argue if Mane had had any chance at all of getting to the ball, but he didn't.  Was only a Yellow as it didn't deny a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

2 hours ago, Brutos said:

So Klopp should have been given less time than Lampard as he was an experienced coach, surely. You've just defeated your own argument.

2 hours ago, Brutos said:

No, he wasn't a proven winner, Klopp had won nothing for nearly 10 years and then it was 2 league titles and their FA Cup.  Nothing in Europe as far as I can find out.  People should stop over-venerating the man - he was OK, but not great and took a long time to get the dippers to anywhere.  AND they still have only done as well as Blackburn in the league.