Jump to content

Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*


Recommended Posts

Terrible start to the season. No two ways about it.

Pressure will mount quickly if we don't get our sh*t together. This was probably the most disappointing draw i can remember, WBA are a terrible side with a terrible defence and yet we somehow managed to throw away two points.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

First half was a complete shambles. Half-time subs really changed the game in our favour. Bringing on Giroud seemed a bit excessive, although he was involved in the equaliser I suppose.

Side note - I completely forgot Frank and Bilic played together (briefly).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank's tactics does not suit the Prem. We commit 8 men on attack and leaving just 2 CBs to cover.

The front 4 should be dragging the defenders out of position instead they congest the middle and both fullbacks bombing forward with both our "DM's" also supporting the attack and interchanging positions with Havertz and Mount. 

No wonder our CBs get exposed quite a lot

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank is constantly being schooled by better managers. Today he almost lost to an absolute moron in Bilic. 
 

The one thing I hate about hiring legends as managers is the worrying outcome where the fans want him out the club. We are nowhere near this yet, but there’s always that possibility. Something that would never have been a possibility as a player. I’d love him to be successful here but his decision making is embarrassing at times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Deino said:

Frank's tactics does not suit the Prem. We commit 8 men on attack and leaving just 2 CBs to cover.

The front 4 should be dragging the defenders out of position instead they congest the middle and both fullbacks bombing forward with both our "DM's" also supporting the attack and interchanging positions with Havertz and Mount. 

No wonder our CBs get exposed quite a lot

That is because we had no width & he refused to play the only winger we had. Once he came on he gave us something different from everyone else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We managed to come back from being 3 goals behind, that alone showed a whole lot.

However Lampard is to be blamed for the horrible team selection.
I don't really care that T.Silva is a big name you don't give him the captains armband after he only played 60 minutes against a weak opponent, this isn't FM20 this is real life, Jorginho should have started the game as the captain just like in the first game of the season.

Furthermore even if Azpilicueta is still getting his fitness you simply must play him ahead of Alonso because in your lineup you have Werner, Tammy and Havertz along side Kante that likes to go forward so by default you know that Alonso won't be getting much help and he really is in a big need of a help. Props to Lampard for knowing the solution to the problem he caused, by getting Alonso off the pitch in the second half.
Also I must say that I don't understand why is Christensen automatically brought into the starting lineup after effectively losing us the game against Liverpool. I understand that Zouma and Rudiger prefer to be on the left side as the CBs and there is where T.Silva plays but if we are going to forget about Zouma and Rudiger just because of that and hold on to Christensen to save us defensively we are off to a bumpy ride this season... Christensen played 3 games and we conceded 6 goals already, he and Alonso are the only constants there.

Lastly I had fears that Werner might not fit but I kept encouraging myself with his stats but the way we play and build up our attack doesn't really play to Werner's strong points, he's not strong in duel and we are not using his pace by attacking the way we attack, why not simply play CHO as the left winger from the start and see how it goes?

Edited by Gol15
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does such an intelligent person struggle with the basics. Play your best players in their best positions. Timo CF. Mount in midfield. Cho left or right wing - we need the width. 
he is well out his depth. Overthinks every game and we struggle with the basics. I have very little faith in his selection and tactical approach. 
beyond that the players do not look fit and there is no excuse for Chilwell and Mendy not being included yet. He has to do much better, and quickly. No room for sentiment - sorry Frank. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lampard will get criticism, and it is a concern with how slow and disjointed our play is at times, and conceding a set piece again is worrying.

However the first 2 goals were really poor individual errors, so i think that has to fall on the players.

One thing i was disappointed with though, was that giroud substitution. By all means get Giroud on, but it shouldve been for Werner who wasnt really offering anything. 

Changing to 3 at the back killed the momentum, and having 2 big strikers on the pitch but then striggling to work the ball wide, was not the tactical switch needed. 

Learning curve for Frank, and the team will hopefully improve.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

We managed to come back from being 3 goals behind, that alone showed a whole lot.

However Lampard is to be blamed for the horrible team selection.
I don't really care that T.Silva is a big name you don't give him the captains armband after he only played 60 minutes against a weak opponent, this isn't FM20 this is real life, Jorginho should have started the game as the captain just like in the first game of the season.

Furthermore even if Azpilicueta is still getting his fitness you simply must play him ahead of Alonso because in your lineup you have Werner, Tammy and Havertz along side Kante that likes to go forward so by default you know that Alonso won't be getting much help and he really is in a big need of a help. Props to Lampard for knowing the solution to the problem he caused, by getting Alonso off the pitch in the second half.
Also I must say that I don't understand why is Christensen automatically brought into the starting lineup after effectively losing us the game against Liverpool. I understand that Zouma and Rudiger prefer to be on the left side as the CBs and there is where T.Silva plays but if we are going to forget about Zouma and Rudiger just because of that and hold on to Christensen to save us defensively we are off to a bumpy ride this season... Christensen played 3 games and we conceded 6 goals already, he and Alonso are the only constants there.

Lastly I had fears that Werner might not fit but I kept encouraging myself with his stats but the way we play and build up our attack doesn't really play to Werner's strong points, he's not strong in duel and we are not using his pace by attacking the way we attack, why not simply play CHO as the left winger from the start and see how it goes?

i agree on almost everything you say there.. apart from Werner.. i think he had a shocker.. he should have had atleast one goal today..

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Look, I'm delighted we came back, but I'm not going to let that paper over the cracks. We were f**king woeful today, and we shouldn't be getting just a point from this game. 

I disagree, i was convinced we were winning this until about the 87th minute. West Brom scored 3 goals almost by accident and we kept cutting them open at will, last second desperate blocking and our sh*t finishing saved them.

Attack wise, this was a vast improvement from Brighton.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Argo said:

I disagree, i was convinced we were winning this until about the 87th minute. West Brom scored 3 goals almost by accident and we kept cutting them open at will, last second desperate blocking and our sh*t finishing saved them.

Attack wise, this was a vast improvement from Brighton.

We also missed 3 good chances in the first half, not even hitting the bloody target. We win this match 9 times out of 10, I know today was a bit of a sh*t show but I won't panic until we see a string of these kinds of results.
We still have Mendy to come in to the fold, Pulisic and Ziyech to return from injury, our target is to come top 4 again and I think we will achieve that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think frank really need to settle on a first 11 and stop changing the team every game. It’s constant. I can understand some slight changes but moving people from key positions is bound to create confusion. Tinker man 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deino said:

Frank's tactics does not suit the Prem. We commit 8 men on attack and leaving just 2 CBs to cover.

The front 4 should be dragging the defenders out of position instead they congest the middle and both fullbacks bombing forward with both our "DM's" also supporting the attack and interchanging positions with Havertz and Mount. 

No wonder our CBs get exposed quite a lot

Exactly. If we had an actual DM who sat on the half way line with our two central defenders whilst our wing backs bombed forward. It would work.

It feels fairly basic to say it like that and it's depressing that we continue to play like this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ashwin said:

Wow, is it really so difficult to be patient with a manager? 

If the fans were in the stadiums, Frank would be getting all the patients he needs, i bet he could do with some support.. It's easy to knock the manager online, but it's impossible to support him atm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Argo said:

I disagree, i was convinced we were winning this until about the 87th minute. West Brom scored 3 goals almost by accident and we kept cutting them open at will, last second desperate blocking and our sh*t finishing saved them.

Attack wise, this was a vast improvement from Brighton.

The stats were bizarre and they were clinical, but that's still no excuse. We shouldn't have been 3-0 down at half time. Even though I agree, we were playing really well, that's why I was gutted with the scoreline mostly, we did all the right things just a shambles at the back as usual. 

Regardless, we can't paper over the cracks, we've got problems in our defensive organisation, off the ball we are awful, no two ways about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank is very persistant with the tinkering, but to be fair, with the current injuries we have, you can't really lay the blame. 

Our best LB out, our wide players out, the goalkeeper situation, Silva's fitness and quarantine. Lots of factors, I can't blame the setup besides Christensen and Christensen was one of our best players so...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never let a good crisis go to waste (ok, this isn't a crisis, but you get it).  There is no excuse not to:

1) Give Odoi more playing time, or any winger.  We need to stretch the pitch and run in behind teams more often.  Do this, and allow Werner and Tammy to rotate upfront
2) We don't need three non-creative central midfielders. Allow Mount or Havertz to play a no.8 role
3) You can't reward bad performances with restoring players to the side. AC was lucky to play so soon, and Alonso should not be in the side unless we are setting up with wing backs
4) Change the goalkeeper immediately.  He's been playing goalkeeper his entire career, I'm sure he is ready. 
5) Start using a consistent core of players.  We need an established dependable spine where other players plug into it
6) Did I mention play some wingers

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first half was without doubt the worst performance since we lost 4-0 to Bournemouth under Sarri.

Plus side, Frank changed things up at half-time and the players responded superbly. I still believe we are gonna be fine this season. Especially when all our players are fit and available.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not convinced Lampard is the manager a lot of Chelsea fans hope he is but at the same time he deserves a chance to get it right. Once the new signings are fit and bedded in we’ll see what he is made of. One thing for sure is if we’re sitting well off top 4 in a couple of months the owners will get shot.

We finished on 66 points last season with 12 defeats, therefore with the outlay on transfers a realistic target is 80 points and 6 defeats, plus the quarters of the Champions League. I would be disappointed if we are just scraping top 4 again and would say that was underperforming and questions need to be asked.

Frank’s biggest issue for me, is settling on a first XI and system. If Havertz or Werner have to be benched while they settle in so be it, rather than crow bar them in every game. He is faced with a conundrum when all the players are fit but a good coach with this squad would find a way to make it work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Slojo said:

Frank is very persistant with the tinkering, but to be fair, with the current injuries we have, you can't really lay the blame. 

Our best LB out, our wide players out, the goalkeeper situation, Silva's fitness and quarantine. Lots of factors, I can't blame the setup besides Christensen and Christensen was one of our best players so...

For  Liverpool , I can live with that excuse. But for WBA? The players yesterday on the pitch and on the bench, they are not good enough for WBA? Come on man. 

It's 3 out of 3 terrible games in Premier League so far. People seem to conveniently forget how bad and lucky we were against Brighton - penalty with individual mistake, goal from 35 meters that will never happen again and goal from deflection. Also Dunk missed to equalize with the header that he usually scores 100/100.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One problem with Frank could be is he is an intelligent person and was one of the all time best Prem players but most of his players are not at his level. He maybe expect too much of his players. He can always remember back to his playing years and think he could have adapted to all these versions formations and approaches. We have a young side with injuries and lot of new guys and most of them will never be close to what Frank himself was as a player. Maybe we just need to stick to a system and play through the stretghts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups or video adverts, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!