Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

1 hour ago, ducavis said:

Next 6 league games are all potential banana skins. We have already dropped 5pts & you really don’t want to be far off the top by Nov. For me the 5 leagues till Nov 7th are very pivotal ones & he needs to pick up at least 11pts in those games or it might be curtains.

Banana skins are what we do best!

Call us pessimist supporters but what is it with Chelsea and this ability we have to help the "needy". Last season it was West Ham & Bournemouth, now WBA, fresh from two defeats in their first two games with a goal difference of 2-8 put 3 past us. And players who can't buy a goal - last season it was McGoldrick of Sheff Utd, handn't scored all season until he scores a brace against us. Now Robinson, only previous PL goals was against......................US, goes and helps himself to a brace in the first 20 minutes!  It has got to the stage where every time we play a poor team and a side who have a player who never scores, you just KNOW there will be a change of fortune when they play us.

Not at all a fan of the constant complaining about every team and their mother have their cup final against us. We are just a terrible, terrible defensive team where almost every time the opposing team manages to pass quickly past our lackluster press it ends in a clear cut chance. Not to mention our set piece defending.

The reason why absolute dross scores on too often is because we hand it to them on a plate, not because we’re cursed with an unlucky charm. Blaming the latter is small club mentality.

Edited by opinionsarelike
3 hours ago, Nibs said:

Banana skins are what we do best!

Call us pessimist supporters but what is it with Chelsea and this ability we have to help the "needy". Last season it was West Ham & Bournemouth, now WBA, fresh from two defeats in their first two games with a goal difference of 2-8 put 3 past us. And players who can't buy a goal - last season it was McGoldrick of Sheff Utd, handn't scored all season until he scores a brace against us. Now Robinson, only previous PL goals was against......................US, goes and helps himself to a brace in the first 20 minutes!  It has got to the stage where every time we play a poor team and a side who have a player who never scores, you just KNOW there will be a change of fortune when they play us.

We f**ked up big time in the first half, but we pulled together and managed a draw, with 3 academy goals, too. Improvement from last season, I'd say, for still managing to get a point.

3 hours ago, Argo said:

Yeah, and yesterday we were largely good but individual mistakes and bad finishing cost us.

You can't have it both ways just because it suits your narrative i'm afraid.

My friend, to say that we were 'largely good' against WBA deserves to be the definition of 'suiting the narrative'. Largely good and barely getting a draw against one of the worst teams in the League - I can't look on the bright sight like you, I'm afraid. 

Also only Abraham missed badly the two chances in the first half. Werner played his situation well and only the post and the bad luck saved them. Apart from these 3 we didn't create anything else. It's not like we utterly destroy them. 

Edited by Droopy
6 minutes ago, Droopy said:

My friend, to say that we were 'largely good' against WBA deserves to be the definition of 'suiting the narrative'. Largely good and barely getting a draw against one of the worst teams in the League - I can't look on the bright sight like you, I'm afraid. 

Also only Abraham missed badly the two chances in the first half. Werner played his situation well and only the post and the bad luck saved them. Apart from these 3 we didn't create anything else. It's not like we utterly destroy them. 

Right so when we win while being second best largely thanks to opposition errors and them failing to take their chances it's all about performance but when the boot is on the other shoe it's all about results? And claiming Tammy's sitter especially wasn't a real chance after trying to use Dunk's header to boost your argument is hilarious.

That's bigger goalposts shifting than Jose's last Thursday.

1 hour ago, Droopy said:

Hitting the post with a decent view of goal is unlucky but still a miss. Werner missed a couple of others late in the second half too. Strikers will do that. Anybody who remembers Kerry Dixon will remember he missed a fair few despite being a prolific scorer. Tammy scored when it counted at the end so not sure it is fair to hold him accountable for his misses, unless you hold Werner to the same standard.

Pep has had 5 years at City, bought new centre backs and full backs every season and spent about a billion pounds on those players but tell me more about what a terrible job Lampard is doing defensively when his defensive signings have  *checks notes* 73 minutes of Premier League football to their name. 

2 hours ago, Argo said:

Right so when we win while being second best largely thanks to opposition errors and them failing to take their chances it's all about performance but when the boot is on the other shoe it's all about results? And claiming Tammy's sitter especially wasn't a real chance after trying to use Dunk's header to boost your argument is hilarious.

That's bigger goalposts shifting than Jose's last Thursday.

You keep putting WBA, Chelsea and Brighton on the same level. Have I said a word about Liverpool? Nope. But yeah, Chelsea needs to 1) get result, 2) perform well against these scrubs. If you don't do it it should be pointed out.

You are the one using double standards. I specifically said the performance against Brighton was sh*te, which it was, and the result against WBA was also sh*te, which, it also was. You are telling me - but we did beat Brighton and we did perform against WBA. Can you please explain how this sort of excuses does not put us on the same level with these bottom teams? 

Edited by Droopy

I think there are some easy fixes that even Frank sees which will improve us overall - first off getting rid of players who don't fit his system like Alonso. Then there are bigger issues like our pressing. We did dispossess WBA a few times but more often than not they played through us with ease and they're not the only ones who have done this. I will reserve my judgement until after the international break when players' fitness levels should be at 100% 

I'd love to see a set back 4 and midfield 3 with occasional changes to give players rest.

Besides a lack of organization, discipline and individual errors, does anyone else have concerns that we are quite a lightweight team?

injuries can clear up, but we seem quite physically weak to me this season. A little off the pace but mainly out muscled on the pitch. Maybe nothing to it, but still look back on the days when we’d physically bully teams. Now we’re the small kid on the playground. 

Edited by PhilH930
1 minute ago, evissy said:

Where do indiviual mistakes stem from? Is if from lack of trust to your team mate, lack of trust to system, lack of minutes on the pitch, lack of fitness, lack of consistency in system/formation... 

Has to be a lack of trust in team mates, in the system & a lack of consistency in system, formation & personnel.

6 hours ago, Brutos said:

Decent watch 

Strange to see both fullbacks up so high .. we usually see this when the opposition has 11men behind the ball.. I am sure the coaching staff talk about picking opportunities to bomb forward but also give players the freedom to decide when to..

but maybe players like Alonso/Reece are poor judge of situation or can’t help themselves.. whatever it maybe ..this where coaches like Conte who literally direct every pass from the touch line can influence the game more.. because for me even in Sunday league football as a fb this is the first thing you learn.. 

On 27/09/2020 at 15:10, abramovich said:

Do you post here once a year nowadays? Couldn't believe my eyes for a moment there.

seems that way at the moment, doesn't it? I still pop my head in but life has been getting in the way. 

but hope you and everyone else round here are doing well.

I don't agree with people who were saying that's the worst they've seen us or whatever, we were 100% worse against Brighton. This game was unusual but also expected if that makes sense... In the first half they had 3 goals from 3 shots in the game, they capitalised on everything, even half chances, they were clinical. Meanwhile we actually had some good chances and f**ked them up. We played really well until we let the 2nd goal in and it was just a mess until we turned it around in the 2nd half. 

But as always, it's the defence. And it happens far too often for it to be blamed on individual errors I think, there's clearly something wrong. 

On 27/09/2020 at 12:10, g3.7 said:

Lamps has done some really good things for us as a manager, notably blooding the kids, finishing fourth, and seemingly buying well. 

Even if he left tomorrow, his legacy as a manager for us would be pretty good. 

Having said that, i have to say- he's clearly not a good coach yet. Watching us over this year and a bit I think that much is pretty clear. 

He's a smart bloke and emotionally intelligent, so he has the makings of a potentially good manager. But to be honest he shouldn't be at a club of this stature at this point in his career. I doubt he'll improve fast enough to avoid getting sacked at some point in the next two seasons, which is a real shame. 

You make a lot of good points for Lampard which I totally agree with. 

I have probably sounded anti Lampard in previous posts, but this is not the case. 

I respect him as a Legend of the club and the smart man he is, alliances aside. However the point you make about not being a good coach yet, for me is the heart of the matter. 

There's no need for being overly sentimental. We have been blinded by our thirst for structure and stability in the managerial department due to our well documented managerial roller coaster, and our love for the man at the helm of our beloved club I fear is impeding some peoples view. Even those that previously I have admired their analysis of our critical points over the years. 

I'll go further and say my view isn't based on watching us over this year and a bit but actually from watching Lampard from when appointed as Derby manager. He did well as a first gig in management but for me what was more instructive was that he was a shambles defensively and never seemed to get any better at it. 

He's a Chelsea Legend forever but he's not a man that should be in charge of Chelsea. Not yet anyway. 

I've had a look back in recent seasons looking at the goals against.

What is noticeable is the goals against for Away matches.

We have to go back to Conte to have a good away difference in our favour on Away matches.

In his second season a 10 goal gap in our favour  and on his first a 15 goal gap in our favour.

That was when we had Matic, Courtois and Cahill.

Edited by Strider6003
2 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I've had a look back in recent seasons looking at the goals against.

What is noticeable is the goals against for Away matches.

We have to go back to Conte to have a good away difference in our favour on Away matches.

In his second season a 10 goal gap in our favour  and on his first a 15 goal gap in our favour.

That was when we had Matic, Courtois and Cahill.

Goal difference doesn't tell the full story. Last season we got +14 at home and +1 away, we only finished with the 6th best home record in the league, but the 4th best away record.

If we leak in goals like we have after Mendy is settled, Silva is settled and we are playing our strongest lineup I start to worry about Frank's ability to do the job. If we keep on winning games although leaking in goals I am not super-worried. 

Having watched city and pool I feel this system that lamps wants to incorporate  is brutal.. one mistake and you concede. While Liverpool won against arsenal it wasn’t as one sided as people make out.. had Lacazette finished a simple chance it would have been 2-2 ..with all to play for

Maybe one needs to be extremely lucky with injuries and have worldclass players in key positions to pull this off consistently..

having said that in recent matches vs city and pool -SFL has shown a willingness to adapt and change with a deeper line.. 

so I guess if we can cut out the mistakes against bottoms fodder and mix caution with aggression against top teams we will do well.. 

i for one don’t think we need the all out attack approach of city.