Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

I love Frank to pieces, but all of a sudden he seems bereft of ideas, shake your back room staff around, Morris might of been good with the kids, but it aint helping us and Frank, i don't think i have watched a game and thought, yep we are at it
West Brom was a steal of a point, and with the possession in the first half against the Spuds we should of buried them, he has some credit in the bank, but i fear for him, i really do, Remember Robbie and Carlo, Roman doesn't do Sentiment

1 minute ago, Ballack & Blu said:

I love Frank to pieces, but all of a sudden he seems bereft of ideas, shake your back room staff around, Morris might of been good with the kids, but it aint helping us and Frank, i don't think i have watched a game and thought, yep we are at it
West Brom was a steal of a point, and with the possession in the first half against the Spuds we should of buried them, he has some credit in the bank, but i fear for him, i really do, Remember Robbie and Carlo, Roman doesn't do Sentiment

I agree with you on the backroom staff thing: I'm firmly in favour of having devil's advocates around a leader. Of course, I say this without knowing how Lampard and his staff interact, or how Lampard deals with people trying to get a dissenting opinion across.

Can't wait for saturday to see if Frank starts Callum or not. He'll probably just go with Mount and Werner on the wings coming up with some excuse that CHO is tired after playing 100 minutes in the last two games combined lol

For me, he needs to do something about the midfield as Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho are just not the players that like and can go forward with the ball in regards to both passing and running with it. Kovacic dribbles past two players and has tons of space in front of him and he just passes the ball back.Zero bravery to impact the game.

If I was Frank I would do everything in my power to try and get RLC back to form. If he could play like he did in that 18/19 season before the injury he would instantly become our best midfielder because the guy has everything. 

Edited by mm24
15 minutes ago, mm24 said:

Can't wait for saturday to see if Frank starts Callum or not. He'll probably just go with Mount and .

If I was Frank I would do everything in my power to try and get RLC back to form. If he could play like he did in that 18/19 season before the injury he would instantly become our best midfielder because the guy has everything. 

RLC was fantastic under Sarri. It’s shame about the injury. I’m a big fan but he just hasn’t shown enough since he’s been back. He really needs to start taking his chances  

6 minutes ago, JM7 said:

RLC was fantastic under Sarri. It’s shame about the injury. I’m a big fan but he just hasn’t shown enough since he’s been back. He really needs to start taking his chances  

He needs games.You cant take your chances if you play once every 5,6 games. Look at Callum. He got to play 2 games in a row and is already looking much, much better and more confident. 

Kovacic, Jorginho and Kante are playing most of our games in the last year in that midfield and they arent getting any better and it's not like we light up the sky with them in the team. I don't think we would have done any worse in these 5 games if RLC played over Jorginho or Kovacic. 

1 hour ago, Ballack & Blu said:

He has brought in a new coach a few weeks ago so he obviously sees there's a problem that needs fixing, but any difference won't happen overnight. 

Has there been an improvement since last season, on what i've seen know there hasn't, a 50% first team restructuring, is a very 'Ballsy' thing to do, and granted it needs time to bed in.
Chilwell
Werner
Ziyech, were needed, if he gets Rice, how will he shoehorn all his assets in, if he plays 4,4,3  and the front 3 are Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech, you pick the midfield 3?

Really amazed to read people say things like Frank delivering a BPL or CL. 

What incredulity. Before the fan boys deflect with a point about RDM, where is he today in the managerial world? Or even right after that coup. 

If it happens, it won't be by his design and No, I'm not speaking from two sides of my mouth. 

Even a managerial great like Pep felt he heat after his first season at City and you think Lamps will just sail through unnoticed? Oh boy, is he getting dropped like a hot potato once it's apparent he'll never be the manager he's hyped up to be. 

Getting all he's asked/asking for only makes it amplified. I wish him the best but have seen a few worrying things. I said it years ago and was vilified but the spat he had with Bielsa says a lot about the man, and if a holistic view is taken, its plain to see what's clear as day. 

4 hours ago, opinionsarelike said:

I am not one of the revisionists in regards to Sarri. Think he’s a very good coach, think he did a great job here; but given the way the relationship with particularly the match going fans got rough, he had to move on. That’s life.

Lampard was the correct hiring at the correct time. He did a very good job last year, albeit some of it due to the fact that he wasn’t Sarri (One Of Us TM). This is not that different to what Di Matteo did after Villas-Boas was here. I will say one thing as well, the players we’ve gotten now wouldn’t be here if Lampard didn’t sell his project well to Marina and Roman. Sarri, who wasn’t interested, nor Conte, who has the charm of a spoiled toddler, wouldn’t get Roman to buy him anything other than the bare necessities. This is a great ability to have as a coach.

Unfortunately, and this is my opinion, that’s his by a country mile best attribute; he’s a good talker. He says the right things at the right time. However, it’s time to put the money where the mouth is. Never mind trolls on Twitter or here, Roman will demand improvements, and improvements rapidly. The excuses will only carry him to a certain point, and if he gets Declan Rice (still think he’s completely mediocre and will have a career likened to Scott Parker, where he’ll eventually find his role in a Spurs-like team) i think he has to deliver one of BPL or CL this or next season.

Yup totally, bar the last line, he doesn't have to win either PL or CL this season or next, but he has to be competing at the top levels in those competitions, still be in the PL chase come Springtime, and make the last 4-8 in the CL. If Roman is expecting us to win either in the next 2 years it's not realistic, yes we all want us to achieve that, but come on, lets get back to competing at the top first.

The sad thing I find about Sarri and Conte is that they are obviously world class coaches. They know how to build a team and get it functioning and winning. The sad thing is that they are both very poor politicians. Unfortunately it’s not enough to be a good coach these days. 

Let’s hope Frank is not all talk and can back it up. He’s always been a smooth talker. 

Edited by JM7

Let me declare straight up that I didn't think he should have been given the job last season. He was too raw and had won nothing bar a playoff semi over Leeds.

He turned out to be an inspired choice last season despite the awful defence. We had Chelsea back and a new crop of youngsters to cheer for. Albeit with zero expectations.

Now we get to see what he is all about. We've built him a squad that can compete when they are all on the park. It's incredibly hard to integrate a squad and get them playing well together (especially now with no preseason and games every two seconds) so I don't think anyone would rightfully expect us to be winning things.

I think most of us do want to see progress and solutions to the problems that plagued us last season. We're not seeing them just yet. 

I want him to succeed partially because I think a lot of the youngsters progress will hault if we get in another big foreign manager under pressure to win something. So for all of us we need to hold steady right now and see how he can integrate the squad and progress the way we play. I think we'll know by the end of the season whether he is our man for the long term or not.

24 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Let me declare straight up that I didn't think he should have been given the job last season. He was too raw and had won nothing bar a playoff semi over Leeds.

He turned out to be an inspired choice last season despite the awful defence. We had Chelsea back and a new crop of youngsters to cheer for. Albeit with zero expectations.

Now we get to see what he is all about. We've built him a squad that can compete when they are all on the park. It's incredibly hard to integrate a squad and get them playing well together (especially now with no preseason and games every two seconds) so I don't think anyone would rightfully expect us to be winning things.

I think most of us do want to see progress and solutions to the problems that plagued us last season. We're not seeing them just yet. 

I want him to succeed partially because I think a lot of the youngsters progress will hault if we get in another big foreign manager under pressure to win something. So for all of us we need to hold steady right now and see how he can integrate the squad and progress the way we play. I think we'll know by the end of the season whether he is our man for the long term or not.

I agree with it all apart from the last bit. The youngsters who have already proven to be valuable members of the squad will carry on being such under a new manager, it's the one's that are still awaiting their promotion that will potentially miss out.

Anyway lets hope it doesn't come to that. 

Frank needs to rip his tactics book and properly assess the team.

We don't get the basics right but Frank tries to play an intricate fluid system when no chemistry has been created yet. All we get now is sideways and backwards passing, this is a young team but it's not adventurous at all

When you sign a manager, you automatically look at their history and what they’ve won. You then look at their formation and their team identity. 

When Frank signed, a lot of Derby fans were complimentary however often slated his in game changes, random formations and strange subs. There was a lot of comments saying he changed formation between home games and away games. 

Now whilst that may look like preparation, it does not provide continuity and a settled formation/team. Players look lost whilst defending at Chelsea. It’s really difficult to look at Chelsea and know which formation and team Lampard is going to pick. We do not have a style, a formation or a settled 11. It’s worrying that the best summer we have had in years is going to be wasted by players shoved all over the pitch and random changes to formations. 

2 hours ago, coco said:

I would love to see some of you aficionados try the job for a month, maybe then you might realise it's easy to pretend you know what your'e on talking about, something else all together when you have to walk the walk.

True, but it would be good to have a settled side and formation for consistency purposes, because we clearly lack that at this moment in time. I am confident with Pulisic and Ziyech coming into the squad, Werner up top and Havertz playing behind the him that we can be a pretty potent team.

Edited by Malcolm9

I think the thing I fear the most is that if we've got everybody back and fit and we're still struggling. The reasons why last season was so hard for Lamps are the same reasons why he was given a break at that time.

If we're still having the same problems this season, there won't be any escaping that. I love Frank but he needs to show significant improvement. In that sense it's a pity we lost the last FA Cup final and got knocked out of Carabao Cup this time around because winning a trophy does wonders for a manager in a new team, especially someone as young and inexperienced as Lamps. Unless we win the FA Cup next May, we'll go trophyless for the second season in a row, and even if he's still around there'll be real doubts whether he's the real deal or just someone who got lucky due to his special status within the organization.

Sometimes you need to stick to your guns even if things aren't going well. Once everyone is back and healthy Lampard really should stick to his vision and to the formation he would mostly want to use, even if we do lack some consistency in our results. The only way to gain that consistency that we didn't have last season is to keep pushing for the same gameplan and same vision.

After all isn't that what Sarri did? We sucked at basics but Sarri never changed his style of play and in time we managed to make it work, Sarri only applied a false 9 against Man City and maybe in some other particular games but he was sure that his football should work and it really did work in due time. Lampard should do the same, keep the high press and let everyone know that they need to keep working hard.

In terms of being under pressure Lampard was always going to have pressure this season. Regardless of signings and what not.
The owner and the club are never going to be satisfied with being in the mix for top 4 for several years in a row. So Lampard will need to prove that he can take this team to the next level. We have had an less than convincing start, everyone knows that and Lampard more then anyone.

He thrived off pressure as a player though and i think he'll prove to do the same as our manager. We had a rough start last season too with only two wins out of our first eight games. We'll come good, we are still struggling with match-fitness and patterns of play in general but it's not done with the flick of a switch with no pre-season. Close to half the XI is entirely new to the league and with no pre-season it was always going to be difficult.

If we look at our lineups for the 3 PL fixtures I don't believe Lampard has changed the personnel all that much and has been consistent, between the Brighton and Liverpool fixture he made 1 change & I am pretty sure we all were unanimously behind that change and that was Kova for RLC. Moving forward to the West Brom game he made 3 changes out of which I think 2 may have been forced, Thiago for Zouma; I think Zouma may have had a knock or some personal reason as he wasn't even in the squad & Kepa had to be removed after the Liverpool debacle. Tammy probably earned his spot after the showing in the League cup but that was one he wasn't forced to make.

I think the idea that he is chopping and changing consistently is a little exaggerated due to the midweek fixtures but he has to make those changes as players cannot just come into a new season and start playing a game every 3/4 days. 

I think it would be difficult for any manager right now with our current predicament. I know most teams are in the same boat though. I get that he's already had a season and he has to deliver, but these are very strange circumstances we are facing at the moment, got to give him the time he needs to get through it all first.