Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

5 hours ago, Dean said:

I would stop with these narratives about the media, Liverpool, Klopp etc. Thinking those things gets you nowhere even if there’s any truth in them. I happen to think they are overdone. Which club’s fans don’t think the refs/media/fa/someone is out to get them? But for argument’s sake, let’s assume the media/fa/liverpool/world IS out to get Chelsea. It shouldn’t matter in the least. If Lampard is the real deal, he’ll succeed irrespective of what the media says/spins, just as the successful managers before him did. By the same token, if he doesn’t succeed it won’t be because of the media. 

As for Klopp, Frank shouldn’t have had that spat. I get that tempers fray in the heat of the moment, but it was a mistake and the optics were bad. He was always going to come off looking worse. This might not be a popular opinion. But if one takes the view that the media is hostile towards Chelsea, surely then Lampard is doubly at fault as it’s just more ammunition for them? The game is played on many levels. 

Absolutely! I always find the narrative that the media has some kind of agenda against Chelsea to be a bit weird. Maybe I'm naive but I just don't believe it. If the team was doing well there would be no discussion.  When your team is performing poorly then of course the media will have their knives out. 

On 21/10/2020 at 21:44, ducavis said:

What defensive midfielder though? And you will pass on a talent like Havertz? The last few seasons we have struggled for creativity in the middle of the park, Jorginho who is meant to provide that creativity has been blowing hot and cold. Sorry but you can’t just pass on an Havertz if you have a chance. All he needs his a platform behind him and some patience. 

Surely there's a defensive midfielder out there that could have helped? And yes, I would have passed on Havertz. I know people are drooling over his fancy touches, but I'm not sold yet.  We scored a decent number of goals last season and signed a striker who is supposed to be an upgrade on Tammy. And I believe Ziyech can play centrally if needed.  Our biggest issue last season was the defense, and I don't believe it's been adequately addressed without signing a defensive midfielder, but we'll see. 

On 21/10/2020 at 21:17, axman2526 said:

In fairness Lamps has not gotten to use his defensive signings, Chilwell, Silva, James(promoted) and Mendy very often. We also did not sign the defensive midfield (Rice) he supposedly wanted.

Now many may say he is not worth it or not that good. Same said those things of Chilwell and they are starting to change their tunes.

So Rice is the only defensive midfielder in the world who could do a job? It was pretty clear early on that West Ham wanted an unreasonable fee, so we should have moved on to alternatives. 

15 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Absolutely! I always find the narrative that the media has some kind of agenda against Chelsea to be a bit weird. Maybe I'm naive but I just don't believe it. If the team was doing well there would be no discussion.  When your team is performing poorly then of course the media will have their knives out. 

My favorite conspiracy is the one where teams apparently roll over for all our rivals but save their best game for us, someone even tried to argue that notion with Palace and got all sh*tty when i pointed out that (at the point i corrected him) they had beaten United, City, Arsenal and Spurs since even their previous goal against us.

4 hours ago, Argo said:

My favorite conspiracy is the one where teams apparently roll over for all our rivals but save their best game for us, someone even tried to argue that notion with Palace and got all sh*tty when i pointed out that (at the point i corrected him) they had beaten United, City, Arsenal and Spurs since even their previous goal against us.

To be devils advocate, and I completely agree with you. But I do think there are cases where teams just throw away 2 points, against the likes of Liverpool and City. They won't even bother trying to win the game and just setup defensively and hope for the best. 

That's what I kept seeing last season earlier in the season. But obviously it's really not as cut and dry as that, teams are obviously more confident that they can beat us instead of those two teams for a valid reason. 

But under Frank anyway, a lot of teams sit back and counter attack us because it works, that happened so many times last season. 

2 hours ago, Slojo said:

To be devils advocate, and I completely agree with you. But I do think there are cases where teams just throw away 2 points, against the likes of Liverpool and City. They won't even bother trying to win the game and just setup defensively and hope for the best. 

That's what I kept seeing last season earlier in the season. But obviously it's really not as cut and dry as that, teams are obviously more confident that they can beat us instead of those two teams for a valid reason. 

But under Frank anyway, a lot of teams sit back and counter attack us because it works, that happened so many times last season. 

It's ironic because that is what we used to do, I was looking at some of Willian's best goals and guess what, most of them were on the lightening counter attack where he imperiously scored his goals. 

3 hours ago, Slojo said:

I don't think it's as straight forward as that. There's cases of some teams having better records against certain teams but that's probably a mental thing as the ridiculous conspiracy's some are peddling.

I mean look at Everton for example, they beat us, Arsenal and Spurs regularly but can't hit a barn door when it comes to Liverpool, I don't think anyone can argue that example is a roll over job.

Every Chelsea fans should support Lampard to his final day as head coach, hopefully that is not coming soon. But Frank needs to stop forcing these rivalries with Klopp, Mourinho and the likes. 

The media will use that against him. 

5 minutes ago, Deino said:

Our midfield is not working. 

Kante is the big issue there for me. Growing very frustrated with him to be honest. The situation at the end when we were countering and he gave it away for United to counter us with a minute or two left was just typical from him.

Would love to see Jorginho and Kovacic together again. It worked well most of the time last season and no combination with Kante in it have worked well over any extended period of time under Lampards reign.

Edited by Sindre

Lampard is starting to get it right defensively, great improvement. Now we have to start building on the attacking front, we have the players to be great in the attack. Come on Lamps!!! Fraaaanky Lampard! Fraaaanky Lampard!!! Oh Franky Lampard! Oh Franky Lampard scored two hundred against the ******!

1 minute ago, Sindre said:

Kante is the big issue there for me. Growing very frustrated with me to be honest. The situation at the end when we were countering and he gave it away for United to counter us with a minute or two left was just typical from him.

Would love to see Jorginho and Kovacic together again. It worked well most of the time last season and no combination with Kante in it have worked well over any extended period of time under Lampards reign.

Kante is good at ball winning and recycling possession. He's not a playmaker and should not be used in offensive plays, especially as he's not the imperious man that he was 2 years ago 

Just now, Deino said:

Kante is good at ball winning and recycling possession. He's not a playmaker and should not be used in offensive plays, especially as he's not the imperious man that he was 2 years ago 

But the way we are playing anyone in his position will be involved in offensive play. So we don't really have a choice in that regard.

I expect Kovacic to be back in the side very, very soon. 

5 minutes ago, Sindre said:

But the way we are playing anyone in his position will be involved in offensive play. So we don't really have a choice in that regard.

I expect Kovacic to be back in the side very, very soon. 

That's the thing, we commit too many men forward in attack.

We could have Pulisic or Tammy drop back to open up space again but what happens in our attack is both FBs will be ready to cross and all our forwards are already on the opposition box but weirdly enough, the ball almost always goes to Kante.

Edited by Deino

All the haters should give him some credit. He is truly capable of solving any particular problem at the time.

Next step is to do that without hurting the other components. Ever since the introduction of Silva and Mendy to the squad we are completely different animal defensively. But our offense struggles now. We need balance. 

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

Kante is the big issue there for me. Growing very frustrated with him to be honest. The situation at the end when we were countering and he gave it away for United to counter us with a minute or two left was just typical from him.

He was probably our best player, broke play up with ease, and looked like he'd been watching Kova, with his driving runs

8 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I thought he was terrible going forward. He killed so many of our attacks with his poor passing.

Maybe it’s time for him to start staying back and letting Jorginho get forward? I’m not ready to be in a world without Kante!

2 hours ago, Sindre said:

Yeah but Kante is World Class

But seriously, credit to Frank, made the correct approach. I said before the game, make it ugly, make it a bore draw, a point at Old Trafford is a loss for them and a gain for us. We've won twice at Old Trafford in 10 years, the last time we beat them there was under David Moyes in 2013. So anyone who thinks we should be winning that, some perspective.

Now back to the back 4, implement Ziyech into the lineup at RW, keep Pulisic at LW and I think we'll get some good results. 

26 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I thought he was terrible going forward. He killed so many of our attacks with his poor passing.

When he gave the ball away on the edge of the box in the 93rd minute I personally wanted to strangle him. What a f**king stupid thing to do, something you would expect from an 18 year old on their debut. 

28 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Maybe it’s time for him to start staying back and letting Jorginho get forward? I’m not ready to be in a world without Kante!

I don't even know if Jorginho can play further forward.

The problem with all of our midfielders is that they all have major weaknesses in their game alongside their strengths.

It's a shame we don't have a Thiago Silva like player in our midfield. Somebody that doesn't have any major weakness in their game.