Super Frank Lampard

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sack or Back ???  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

This poll is closed to new votes

14 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't even know if Jorginho can play further forward.

The problem with all of our midfielders is that they all have major weaknesses in their game alongside their strengths.

It's a shame we don't have a Thiago Silva like player in our midfield. Somebody that doesn't have any major weakness in their game.

Jorginho can move forward but he doesn't have the pace, he doesn't really run with the ball like Kante/Kovacic so there is no point of instructing him to do that since as soon as an attack doesn't work he can't really position himself properly in the midfield for the defensive tasks...

In the first half Kante had an open look towards James that was free on the right side, decided to pass to the feet of Havertz that was already in a sandwich, didn't work.
In the second half we also had an opening, Kante decided to pass to the middle and lost the ball, he had Chilwell free that was ready to put up a cross.

Just poor decision-making from Kante, the problem is he was that player supposed to create something and he isn't really known for that, he can score a goal but not really to make a chance so it's clearly a tactical problem there because if Havertz was that player and Kante helping with the transition prior to the break, we get a chance to score a goal in those particular situations, but the problem is also that Kante pretty often fails to connect the short passes where we must keep possession. He lost possession too easy today too many times.

27 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

The problem with all of our midfielders is that they all have major weaknesses in their game alongside their strengths.

It's a shame we don't have a Thiago Silva like player in our midfield. Somebody that doesn't have any major weakness in their game.

It might sound ridiculous, but Mason Mount?

13 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

It's really not, I think I saw someone talking about this in another thread and I commented on it. Mason Mount has shown many times that he is capable of fighting for the ball deeper and also running with the ball higher up the pitch. Ever since Lampard has been playing Mount as a winger he has been poor, he needs to go back to play more in the middle of the pitch.

I'll give Lampard the benefit of the doubt that this was a short term measure to get some confidence boosting clean sheets but holy hell, our attacking play yesterday and vs Sevilla was absolutely woeful, it's not in anyway sustainable so i really hope this isn't his natural approach now. I was defending a lot of our draws/loses last season because the underlying performance metrics pointed to sustainable progression, if we keep having XG rates of 0.4 and 0.2 we won't be scoring many goals and will turn into a genuine mid table side like Arsenal.

22 minutes ago, Argo said:

I'll give Lampard the benefit of the doubt that this was a short term measure to get some confidence boosting clean sheets but holy hell, our attacking play yesterday and vs Sevilla was absolutely woeful, it's not in anyway sustainable so i really hope this isn't his natural approach now. I was defending a lot of our draws/loses last season because the underlying performance metrics pointed to sustainable progression, if we keep having XG rates of 0.4 and 0.2 we won't be scoring many goals and will turn into a genuine mid table side like Arsenal.

Whatever way you look at it the team had the likes of Werner, Havertz, Pulisic and others in those games. They all massively underperformed. That is why we failed to do much offensively.

5 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Whatever way you look at it the team had the likes of Werner, Havertz, Pulisic and others in those games. They all massively underperformed. That is why we failed to do much offensively.

Well, you also need to give them a platform. If you just defend (which these 3 are a part of) and then tell them they have to get up the pitch quickly and make something happen it's very hard for them. Especially considering two of these players are new to the team and the league. It's pretty obvious Lampard just focused on defense these last two games.

9 hours ago, bisright1 said:

I don't think playing Mount deeper is the answer. He gets disposessed a lot. Him beside Kante could be a disaster. We need at least one midfielder who is comfortable keeping posession unser pressure (Jorginho, Kova or Gilmour).

Apologies if already been said but I hope the club factors in the unusual times. Across all the major leagues there are great teams who have had a very unusual results,  the premier league in particular we need a bit of settling down time, hopefully the cream will come to the top.

In the mean time Frank needs to find his best 11 and system (to state the obvious) only one player to my mind picks himself which is Mendy which is amazing after a few games. All great teams have a core of players who pick themselves 

8 hours ago, axman2526 said:

That's too easy an explanation, imo. The manager's job is to get the best out of the players he's got. With an array of creative and attacking talent we've got we should be doing much better going forward. 

Edited by abramovich

2 minutes ago, andy said:

Apologies if already been said but I hope the club factors in the unusual times. Across all the major leagues there are great teams who have had a very unusual results,  the premier league in particular we need a bit of settling down time, hopefully the cream will come to the top.

In the mean time Frank needs to find his best 11 and system (to state the obvious) only one player to my mind picks himself which is Mendy which is amazing after a few games. All great teams have a core of players who pick themselves 

Mendy, Silva and Chilwell are all first on the team sheet because the other options are abysmal. Apart from that, all other positions are up for grabs, we need the players to step up and claim their automatic inclusion on the team sheet each game.

13 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Bring back Ramires!

2 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Bring back Ramires!

Joke aside, he was one of the clutchest players in our recent history. Terrible in the 15:00 Saturday matches and unstoppable force of nature in the derbies and big stage matches. 

I thought Lampard did very well yesterday with the defensive side of things and a few players were outstanding.

Not sure if Lampard tried 4-3-3 yet. I think it would bring the best of of the squad we have whilst maintaining the balance between defence and attack. I would love to see a team like this:

Mendy;

James, Silva, Zouma, Chilwell

Jorginho

Kante              Havertz

Ziyech                              Pulisic

Werner

We would have plenty of options from the bench too and rotation would be fairly easy without affecting the fluidity

16 minutes ago, coco said:

Mendy, Silva and Chilwell are all first on the team sheet because the other options are abysmal. Apart from that, all other positions are up for grabs, we need the players to step up and claim their automatic inclusion on the team sheet each game.

Agree under the circumstances. Need a couple more games at their current level for me to be 100% on them. The acid test I think is if they are missing you become very worried about the result. Maybe a bit harsh but I am sure if Mendy handn’t pulled off some great saves  we would have been saying “where was Silva/Chiwell then” 

like  I say couple more matches, they look like great buys. I am also optimistic about Werner still, I hope that confidence he came with is not dented. 

Back to Back goaless draws, and it hasnt been the best watch over the last 180 minutes, however, we now go into krasnodar, with a good chance of winning and if we can also keep a clean sheet in that game, defensive confidence will be pretty high. 

It means we go into games with less pressure on the attackers, because there will be a confidence the defence wont get ripped to shreds, and 1 or 2 goals will be enough to win us games. 

We actually have a pretty decent run of games between now and xmas, all very winnable. Hopefully this week has been the foundation, and next week we get back to back wins to spring board us into a decent run.

1 hour ago, mm24 said:

Embarassing to play like that with all the attacking signings we made in the summer.Can't even give us a credit for clean sheet.It would've been even more embarassing to play like that and still conceed

What so you want us to go out and attack United while increasing their chances of winning? United are one of the best counter attacking teams in the world. They beat PSG while PSG dominated them in possession, they have a habit of doing it with the counter attacking quality they have. 

A point at Old Trafford is a good result, you're delusional if you think we should be winning a fixture we've won twice in 10 years out of god knows how many games in that period. 

6 minutes ago, Gentian said:

I thought Lampard did very well yesterday with the defensive side of things and a few players were outstanding.

Not sure if Lampard tried 4-3-3 yet. I think it would bring the best of of the squad we have whilst maintaining the balance between defence and attack. I would love to see a team like this:

Mendy;

James, Silva, Zouma, Chilwell

Jorginho

Kante              Havertz

Ziyech                              Pulisic

Werner

We would have plenty of options from the bench too and rotation would be fairly easy without affecting the fluidity

I agree on this. I think the midfield he has given them too much freedom, he hasn’t got 5 Lampards on his hands. I find it confusing they don’t know their role to me. 
back 4 and keeper is a given, Werner has a clear role. 

jourghino Kante are what defensive mids but can get forward when the other isn’t ? Is that how it is working ? 

pulisic havertz ziyech can play where they like ? is that the system ? 

I am quite keen on the 3 at the back thing of you want so much freedom for your midfield. But then again it is not an exact science. 

Frank has steadied the ship after some erratic defensive performances. I think he wanted to build some confidence that we can defend well. 

Now, I think he'll be aiming to win the next four games leading up to the next international break.

They're all relatively easy games we should win on paper and should probably be winning in real life too. 

Big couple of weeks for the team and setting foundations for the rest of the season.