Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

Recent games must surely have given the ones that put most or all the blame on Lampard for our defensive woes something to chew on.

Because when we have had our best back four + Mendy on the field we have looked very good defensively so far. Clean sheet in 3 out of 3 games when they have all played is the record so far and needless to say, it's a very good sign.

45 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Recent games must surely have given the ones that put most or all the blame on Lampard for our defensive woes something to chew on.

Because when we have had our best back four + Mendy on the field we have looked very good defensively so far. Clean sheet in 3 out of 3 games when they have all played is the record so far and needless to say, it's a very good sign.

Of course having Mendy, Silva and Chilwell available helps in getting a clean sheet. But these last last two games were mainly down to Lamps' tedious defense first approach, and quite frankly I don't hope that's the way we play going forward, because these games were absolutely boring to watch. Makes Mourinho look like an adventerous big game manager. At least with him we would get some meaningful chances on the counterattack.

2 hours ago, Gentian said:

I thought Lampard did very well yesterday with the defensive side of things and a few players were outstanding.

Not sure if Lampard tried 4-3-3 yet. I think it would bring the best of of the squad we have whilst maintaining the balance between defence and attack. I would love to see a team like this:

Mendy;

James, Silva, Zouma, Chilwell

Jorginho

Kante              Havertz

Ziyech                              Pulisic

Werner

We would have plenty of options from the bench too and rotation would be fairly easy without affecting the fluidity

Jorgie is too slow/weak for me to sit in front of the back four. I would rather park Kante there to clean up the messes. And tell him to do exactly just that.

I'll bring in Mount along side Havertz.

With that set up, you have:

Havertz - linking with front 3

Mount - pressing the midfield

Kante - clean up anything that got pass the middle

37 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

Jorgie is too slow/weak for me to sit in front of the back four. I would rather park Kante there to clean up the messes. And tell him to do exactly just that.

I'll bring in Mount along side Havertz.

With that set up, you have:

Havertz - linking with front 3

Mount - pressing the midfield

Kante - clean up anything that got pass the middle

That could work out too in certain games. Perhaps against more defensive oppositions we could play Jorginho there instead of Kante to open up the game. Point is that i think with the type of players we have 4-3-3 seems like a good idea  to deploy.

Problem is Havertz and if he can play that number 8 role. 

48 minutes ago, True Blue23 said:

Of course having Mendy, Silva and Chilwell available helps in getting a clean sheet. But these last last two games were mainly down to Lamps' tedious defense first approach, and quite frankly I don't hope that's the way we play going forward, because these games were absolutely boring to watch. Makes Mourinho look like an adventerous big game manager. At least with him we would get some meaningful chances on the counterattack.

So what you want attack &get picked off on counter that was never going to happen again.

Two clean sheets in a row ,walk away from this  one with converted  penalty and we' d be saying tactical masterclass from Frank,

26 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I think Frank played the 3-4-3 just for this match.

By playing the 3 CBs it leaves us one man short up top.

It will be interesting now to see how we set up against different teams.

It was interesting to see Azpili and T.Silva together, I wonder if Azpilicueta could play with T.Silva as a CB in a back 4...

2 hours ago, Slojo said:

What so you want us to go out and attack United while increasing their chances of winning? United are one of the best counter attacking teams in the world. They beat PSG while PSG dominated them in possession, they have a habit of doing it with the counter attacking quality they have. 

A point at Old Trafford is a good result, you're delusional if you think we should be winning a fixture we've won twice in 10 years out of god knows how many games in that period. 

I’m honestly surprised people keep complaining about Lampard not going all out. United have a very good record against top teams despite their awful results against smaller teams, because of their CA football. Lamparda approach to this game was excellent.

As I’ve said before, chelsea were always going to get off to a slow start. So to be just four points off top spot after six games is a real positive as far as I’m concerned. If we are still being inconsistent in a few months then it’s time to put Lampard under closer scrutiny. Anyone doing it now needs to give their head a wobble

9 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Frank has steadied the ship after some erratic defensive performances. I think he wanted to build some confidence that we can defend well. 

Now, I think he'll be aiming to win the next four games leading up to the next international break.

They're all relatively easy games we should win on paper and should probably be winning in real life too. 

Big couple of weeks for the team and setting foundations for the rest of the season. 

Looking at the fixture list every game from here on in till the end of November should be winnable.  And I am fed up listening to the excuses of no 'pre-season'...neither has anyone else Frank, suck it up and get on with it, you spent 200 mill you don't need excuses. 

39 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

Looking at the fixture list every game from here on in till the end of November should be winnable.  And I am fed up listening to the excuses of no 'pre-season'...neither has anyone else Frank, suck it up and get on with it, you spent 200 mill you don't need excuses. 

Chelsea had less of a pre-season than most due to cup final and cl tie (likes of Utd/city got to start later, chelsea didn’t). Also a dozen players had to isolate for a week or two due to covid scare.

we played one friendly, check how many Liverpool (I include comm shield and super cup final) played.

on top of that new signings and players like Pulisic had injuries. 
no-one had it as bad.
these are not excuses. They’re facts. 
Pre-season is massive when new signings come in. Ours couldn’t have been any worse.

We didn't lose or concede that's positive, and he abandons his suicidal double-decker gaps between midfield and defence that was the most significant change in the last two matches,
I would be keen to see what happens as soon as he goes back to that approach if we get picked off.

1 hour ago, CFCCAN said:

Looking at the fixture list every game from here on in till the end of November should be winnable.  And I am fed up listening to the excuses of no 'pre-season'...neither has anyone else Frank, suck it up and get on with it,  

Everyone else didn't "just suck it up and get on with it"

Liverpool lost 7-2 two weeks after conceding 3 at home to a promoted side.

United conceded 11 in three games and that actually flattered them.

Spurs were losing to a semi proffesional team and managed to scrape a win after they went down to 8.

City have only won 2 of their opening 5 and 1 of those were very fortunate. They've also just drew 1-1 in a Stadium they never previously failed to score atleast 4 in.

PSG lost their first two league games.

Real Madrid lost to Cadiz then at home to a Shaktar Donetsk side with ELEVEN players out.

Barca lost to a similar average side the very same weekend (that Real lost to Cadiz), i think it was Granada but cba to check.

Bayern lost 4-1 to Hoffenheim, Dortmund same weekend lost comfortably to Augsburg. 

Juve have only won 1 game out of 4 this season (plus an awarded win) and today needed a late goal to escape a home loss to the mighty Hellas Verona.

So that's pretty much all of Europe's top outfits blunted by a broken pre season to some degree or another, so no it's not a convenient excuse.

Sorting out defence was issue no 1. That's not done really because Silva is at best a temporary fix and very likely at his age will run into an injury.  But its OK for now. Zouma blah blah, james blah blah. 

Issue no 2 is moving the ball from defence to attack more effectively. Kante is not the right person for that job really. I am pretty sure that Kova and Jorginho are a better pair of double pivots with Havertz in the middle. It would also  help if James had a bit more pace, very strong etc but doesn't really drive down the line.

After that its just working out the right combo up front. 

Lampard might try bring on subs earlier. I like that we've settled on a back 4 Zouma just has to get confident and as good a player as James is and he is bloody good his lack of pace is an issue at right back.

Frank's first season: create as many chances as you can. 

Frank's second season: solidify the defense?

Frank's 3rd season: strike a balance between the two? 

It is clear what we are missing in terms of talent. We need that DM. Is it Rice or could Ampadu do it. He looked very good against Liverpool. Our midfield without one is makeshift. I feel Frank wants to play 4-3-3 but he doesn't have the players for it. 

Even with an impressive transfer window we are not ready to challenge for the title. I know outside pressure from media will be tough this season but we just need to focus on the objective. Make CL and improve in all areas. 

Maybe the third season Frank gets the missing pieces and we are ready to really challenge. 

17 hours ago, tottonblue said:

So what you want attack &get picked off on counter that was never going to happen again.

Two clean sheets in a row ,walk away from this  one with converted  penalty and we' d be saying tactical masterclass from Frank,

Good point, but I would want more concept how to attack (safely) when we get the ball, if Lamps wants to play this style.

Even if we get the penalty it's hardly a tactical masterclass. United definetely had more and better chances than us, so if this game was played like this 10 times they win more of those games than us. What was our xG? Also we didn't get the penalty and United moved up a gear in the second half, and Frank had no answer for it. For a tactical masterclass we would need a potent threat on the counter attack. With Pulisic, Werner and CHO we've got the right players for it. 

I think Neville said it well on Sky Sports during the first half. Playing like this either team could win, but neither team can complain if they lose.

Edited by True Blue23
10 hours ago, CFCCAN said:

The fact that Frank has been allowed to invest £200m into the team and had a non existent pre-season should definitely be taken into account when looking at our form. 

Trying to incorporate 6 new players with no bedding in period, no lengthy breaks between games to work on anything and constant interruptions from lengthy international breaks. 

I mean, just look at the league table. Most sides are struggling that had little to no pre-season and are having to cope with congested fixture lists. 

This isn't a problem unique to Chelsea, everyone is struggling with it. We have the added issue of having so many new signings being bedded in straight away. 

23 hours ago, The Brit said:

Chelsea had less of a pre-season than most due to cup final and cl tie (likes of Utd/city got to start later, chelsea didn’t). Also a dozen players had to isolate for a week or two due to covid scare.

we played one friendly, check how many Liverpool (I include comm shield and super cup final) played.

on top of that new signings and players like Pulisic had injuries. 
no-one had it as bad.
these are not excuses. They’re facts. 
Pre-season is massive when new signings come in. Ours couldn’t have been any worse.

Yeah I get it...but stop using it in every press conference.  We all know what the situation is, new players, time to gel, injuries etc etc but that can't be used as an excuse for every game we don't pick up 3 points...lets hope we don't hear this by the time we get to game #10

There are no excuses. Managers should never make excuses. The losing team makes excuses the winning team points to the scoreboard. Making excuses does nothing to make the team better in fact it makes the team worse by shifting the problem on to some external cause instead of taking responsibility for getting the job done.

Every time Frank makes an excuse it makes him and the team weaker, especially repeating the excuse over an over.

http://learn.truesport.org/combat-excuse-mentality/

The issue is that we are four points off the top in tenth place. What are we going to do to get up the table. Not by making excuses but by scoring more goals than the other team every game.

So right now that means more skill in moving the ball through the midfield or bypassing the midfield with long balls for the pace front three to run onto. It means getting our right back right down to the opposition goal line. It means making Havertz 's linking play and domination  in the centre front of the park  stronger. And I think it means playing Kovacic instead of Kante. 

On 25/10/2020 at 22:35, Gol15 said:

It was interesting to see Azpili and T.Silva together, I wonder if Azpilicueta could play with T.Silva as a CB in a back 4...

No, we still need a Zouma type CB. Azpi and Thiago lacks that bit of pace

12 hours ago, ozboy said:

There are no excuses. Managers should never make excuses. The losing team makes excuses the winning team points to the scoreboard. Making excuses does nothing to make the team better in fact it makes the team worse by shifting the problem on to some external cause instead of taking responsibility for getting the job done.

Every time Frank makes an excuse it makes him and the team weaker, especially repeating the excuse over an over.

http://learn.truesport.org/combat-excuse-mentality/

The issue is that we are four points off the top in tenth place. What are we going to do to get up the table. Not by making excuses but by scoring more goals than the other team every game.

So right now that means more skill in moving the ball through the midfield or bypassing the midfield with long balls for the pace front three to run onto. It means getting our right back right down to the opposition goal line. It means making Havertz 's linking play and domination  in the centre front of the park  stronger. And I think it means playing Kovacic instead of Kante. 

If Mendy played every game this season we are top of the table. 

I really don't know why people are not just stopping all thinking at this point. We've been playing with 10 men for most of our games this season. 

On 26/10/2020 at 06:27, evissy said:

Frank's first season: create as many chances as you can. 

Frank's second season: solidify the defense?

Frank's 3rd season: strike a balance between the two? 

It is clear what we are missing in terms of talent. We need that DM. Is it Rice or could Ampadu do it. He looked very good against Liverpool. Our midfield without one is makeshift. I feel Frank wants to play 4-3-3 but he doesn't have the players for it. 

Even with an impressive transfer window we are not ready to challenge for the title. I know outside pressure from media will be tough this season but we just need to focus on the objective. Make CL and improve in all areas. 

Maybe the third season Frank gets the missing pieces and we are ready to really challenge. 

As we saw tonight we certainly have the players for 4-3-3 and I hope we continue to deploy this system until everything gels together.