Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

3 minutes ago, Sindre said:

The argument doesn't work because Sarri was desperate for Higuain in the summer as well but the club refused.

So if Sarri got his way we would have played the entire season with Higuain up front and been even worse off.

Higuain was still better than Morata and Giroud that he had to make do with for 6 months lol. 

Point still stands that Sarri took us to two finals, won us a European cup and top 3 above better squads with no striker. Really don't see how you can try and argue against any of those facts.

Just now, RIP Mourinho said:

Higuain was still better than Morata and Giroud that he had to make do with for 6 months lol. 

Point still stands that Sarri took us to two finals, won us a European cup and top 3 above better squads with no striker. Really don't see how you can try and argue against any of those facts.

Not sure a lot of people will agree with that assesement. He was as bad as both of them.
Sarri got decent results here, i don't dispute that. But he can blame himself for the striker-situation.

Just now, RIP Mourinho said:

How? What else could he have done? 

There was several other options in August instead of being dead set on Higuain. But Sarri really wanted Gonzalo so he decided to take a punt on Morata finding his form again when he couldn't get him.

1 minute ago, Sindre said:

There was several other options in August instead of being dead set on Higuain. But Sarri really wanted Gonzalo so he decided to take a punt on Morata finding his form again when he couldn't get him.

Who was available in August? Lets be honest, the board weren't spending £70m on another striker when we had just bought Morata. 

10 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Who was available in August? Lets be honest, the board weren't spending £70m on another striker when we had just bought Morata. 

Luka Jovic for example. Or Werner.

But anyways, Sarri is history and this discussion isn't really going anywhere. The only important thing is what Lampard can do here from now on.

11 minutes ago, Sindre said:

But anyways, Sarri is history and this discussion isn't really going anywhere. The only important thing is what Lampard can do here from now on.

Jovic had his breakout season last year, wasn't even thought about last summer. 

Werner - there's also a reason he's still yet to go to a big team. 

1 hour ago, enigma said:

We only really had Hazard as our best and world class attacking/creative player. It was Jorginho first season so was harshly judged. Manutd had three genuinely good strikers, we didn't. Arsenal had a 20+ goal striker in Aubameyang as well as a very competent striker in Lacazette.

Spurs had quality attacking players too in Kane, Son, Moura and Alli and Spurs do generally have a pretty well balanced side with a top defence and good midfield including Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Eriksen as well as decent fullbacks. Only Arsenal had a team worse than us, but they still had two top class strikers. 

Squads include not just strikers. 

I've already mentioned Tottenham having quality first eleven, but their bench was poor, and we're talking about SQUADS here, don't we? There was a reason why they've run out of gas in the PL in the end while chasing the CL.

Arsenal may have had better strikers but I wouldn't have swapped the rest of their team for ours in a million years. Again, we're talking squads.

United had a bigger choice of players due to huge spending in the recent past, but their squad was very uneven in terms of quality, they had problems all over. Solskjaer's arrival gave them a boost but eventually they ran out of steam, too.

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Perhaps with a bit of market knowledge, research and developing a feel for the market we would have seen the development of Jovic soon and got ahead of the curve rather than spending £70m on a perennial substitute.

6 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Perhaps with a bit of market knowledge, research and developing a feel for the market we would have seen the development of Jovic soon and got ahead of the curve rather than spending £70m on a perennial substitute.

Easier said than done. I bet you there will be a new global superstar striker this time next year - And we probably don’t even know who he is now.

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

39 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Would have been hard to buy Jovic last summer considering he was on loan at Frankfurt.  But carry on gents.

The fact that it is Super Frank is irrelevant to my mindset on this. I have wanted a Chelsea manager to give our most promising youth more chances for a long while. When they insist on not doing so and sticking with experienced average players above them then I feel we should demand a top level of performance and if we do not get it then heavy criticism is fair. You do not drop a Hazard for youth of course, but when you consider a lack of faith and fortitude meant we lost players like KDB and Salah for who? Oscar? Willian? it is frustrating. I eased off on Sarri when RLC and CHO started getting regular minutes.

Frank had the balls to start at OT with faith in Mount and Tammy, no other previous manager in the Roman Era would have done that. They would have gone False 9 before playing Tammy, or Luiz in midfield before playing Mount. And, for me, TA and MM rewarded him. Mount and Kovacic were, by far, our best midfielders. Barkley was bang average, Pedro poor and most surprisingly Jorginho defended well but then gave the ball away cheaply too often. Tammy led the line well, almost scored, but is a hard ask when he was playing football and good old Harry was wrestling. Who let Frank down experienced players like Dave, Pedro and lesser experienced but still internationals like Barkley and Zouma.

My main point is this, if Frank keeps faith in youth he gets far more patience from me and I hope from most of us. If that means we finish 6th or worse so be it. It took Klopp and Poch time to build. Even money bags City failed Peps first season. Frank deserves the time to build Klopp and Poch got so long as he keeps trying to build and does not go for the short term, or Jose/Conte if you will, mindset.

33 minutes ago, coco said:

He may be an inexperienced manager, a rookie even, but look at the managers he has worked under, Mourinho, Guardiola, Eriksson, Capello, Ancelotti, Hiddink, Benitez, Ranieri. 20 years of working under those managers, he's got the pedigree.

And as Frank said Coco, 'he gets the club' that result yesterday will make lamps want to prove people wrong even more. Can't wait till Sunday, I couldn't say that last season, just went because you do.

Edited by chi blue

4 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Easier said than done. I bet you there will be a new global superstar striker this time next year - And we probably don’t even know who he is now.

Agree 100% and Jovic was just an example. The point i was trying to make is that time and effort spent in reading the foreign markets (Uk market seems overpriced for developing talent) for the up an coming strikers may be more beneficial than the merry go round of Morata, Higuain, Benzema, Cavani etc.

However, once identifying the talent the ballsy thing to be able to do is then to go in large enough to get who we want ahead of the competition.

Easier said than done. Of course and if it was easy i'd have the job instead of working in insurance and being a forum keyboard warrior :biggrin:

47 minutes ago, coco said:

He may be an inexperienced manager, a rookie even, but look at the managers he has worked under, Mourinho, Guardiola, Eriksson, Capello, Ancelotti, Hiddink, Benitez, Ranieri. 20 years of working under those managers, he's got the pedigree.

You forgot Vieira over in Yankee doodle land. Oh wait he’s more pedigree chum. 

How is it i’m more optimistic now about the team than in the last 2 seasons?? I’m fully behind Frank. For the first time in 2 seasons I was excited the way we moved the ball and attacked Utd. Last season was the worst football I’ve seen in 40 years as a fan. What ever position we finish in we have to stick with Frank and our young stars he will learn so much this season and could be a blues manager for years to come. Plus let’s see how Ole gets on at Utd when the big stars start falling out. I would say he’s more of a favourite to lose his job than Super Frank. 

10 minutes ago, Diamondgeezer said:

How is it i’m more optimistic now about the team than in the last 2 seasons?? I’m fully behind Frank. For the first time in 2 seasons I was excited the way we moved the ball and attacked Utd. Last season was the worst football I’ve seen in 40 years as a fan.  

While Sarriball didn't exactly live upto the hype it wasn't even the worst football played in two years let alone 40.

Football under Sarri was a lot better than the garbage Conte produced in season 2 and don't get me started on the Jose meltdown period.

The manager Frank is today will not be the manager Frank is at the end of the season, next year, or the year after.  He's going to make mistakes, and learn from them.  This year is on-the-job-training.  He's developing his managerial skills in the same way that Mount, Tomori, Pulisic, CHO, James are developing their games.  

It's unrealistic to think that Frank would walk in and have a feel for how to manage games, when to make subs, how to prepare game plans, etc.  The prevailing mentality is that most people wanted Frank & Jody, and most people wanted to see youth come through.  Well, we have that.  We were not able to buy players.  Lower the expectations, let them develop, and stop freaking out because we lost our first match of the season 4-0 to United.  We were missing five important players:  Willian, Rudiger, CHO, RLC, James.  And let's not forget that we lost the league's best player and our leading scorer without a direct replacement.

Everyone preached patience up until yesterday.  

Sarri got us into a good position last season, despite all the negativity and inflexibility.  

4 hours ago, coco said:

and Harry Redknapp of course :koo-koo:   :wink: