Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

People really need to lower their expectations and be realistic for this season. I said in early August that even getting sixth this year could very well be extremely difficult.
While they are great talents the fact that James, Mount, Abraham all will be starters for us this season (I think) coming directly from the Championship makes it rather obvious we are not going to be keeping up with the big boys as the season progresses. Add 18-year old CHO to that and one realize we are a very, very young team this year who will be up and down in terms of performance.

For me it’s all about building for the future and possibly going on a bit of a run in the cups. A favorable draw in the CL could potentially get us to the quarterfinal which would be great.

14 minutes ago, Sindre said:

People really need to lower their expectations and be realistic for this season. I said in early August that even getting sixth this year could very well be extremely difficult.

I'm sorry but that absolutely shouldn't be the case. 6th should be minimum requirement, we still have a well balanced team in terms of age and positions. Who should/could realistically take our place? Wolves have Europa and even the European vetrens with deep squad's struggle with the Thursday-Sunday turnover, Leicester have lost their second best player while Everton have lost their best two.

Furthermore if we finish midtable below 60 points that would very likely lead to Roman/Cech thinking the youngsters simply aren't ready and head on a supermarket sweep (possibly even alongside an Allegri appointment) to make sure there's no repeat. While there's certainly no pressure for our youngsters to do a United "can't win anything with kids" like season they have to show us that they are upto the task at the club moving forward and dining in midtable with the likes of Watford just won't cut it.

I reckon we will make 6th and maybe even a higher, we need to remember we were missing about 4 starters. We will absolutely be fine that I am certain of once we have every one fit. An added advantage will be the variety and options available to the manager.

The only slight issue I have with Lamps is his preferred formation of 4-2-3-1, there is a reason no other team uses it in the league. Off my head I can only remember Arsenal using it a couple of times last season with Ozil playing further up the pitch, and it failed every time. I can see why he wants to use this formation, and get more bodies upfield to support the striker. However, I support the school of thought that games in the PL are won in the middle of the park. For it to have any chance of working, your 2 sitting have to be dynamic and move the ball quickly. Maybe with Kante fully fit we might have more added dynamism and strength in the middle of the park.

16 minutes ago, Argo said:

I'm sorry but that absolutely shouldn't be the case. 6th should be minimum requirement, we still have a well balanced team in terms of age and positions. Who should/could realistically take our place? Wolves have Europa and even the European vetrens with deep squad's struggle with the Thursday-Sunday turnover, Leicester have lost their second best player while Everton have lost their best two.

Furthermore if we finish midtable below 60 points that would very likely lead to Roman/Cech thinking the youngsters simply aren't ready and head on a supermarket sweep (possibly even alongside an Allegri appointment) to make sure there's no repeat. While there's certainly no pressure for our youngsters to do a United "can't win anything with kids" like season they have to show us that they are upto the task at the club moving forward and dining in midtable with the likes of Watford just won't cut it.

Wolves or Everton are the teams I could see challenging us.
We aren’t that well balanced, our first-choice striker has only proved himself in the Championship. This is his golden opportunity to prove himself good enough for Chelsea but until he can do so we have a terribly average strikeforce this season. It will very likely cost us a lot of points this season.

I think you must realize we may have James, Mount, RLC, CHO, Mount and Abraham being starters for us this season. They are all very young and performances will vary greatly.

But as I’ve said before too. This is the year they need to prove themselves. If Abraham can’t do it for example, then we need to go to the market next summer and find a top striker. If James proves to be not ready, we need to go get a top right back and so on.

Sixth or seventh won’t be good enough from next season onwards but for me this season is all about figuring out who’s good enough for the future and who we need to replace.

17 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I think you must realize we may have James, Mount, RLC, CHO, Mount and Abraham being starters for us this season. They are all very young and performances will vary greatly.

But as I’ve said before too. This is the year they need to prove themselves. If Abraham can’t do it for example, then we need to go to the market next summer and find a top striker. If James proves to be not ready, we need to go get a top right back and so on.

Sixth or seventh won’t be good enough from next season onwards but for me this season is all about figuring out who’s good enough for the future and who we need to replace.

That's the point, if we finish midtable they would have likely failed the audition and we revert to using the market to fill gaps, it's an opportunity for these guys but it's most certainly not a free hit, there will still be targets which they will have to hit.

Wolves or Everton are the teams I could see challenging us.

They shouldn't, Wolves won't cope with the Europa backlog (if they maintain 7th MOTY is a one horse race) and Everton have lost their best defender and midfielder.

Furthermore if we play like we did yesterday we should sweep up vs the bottom half teams, something Everton and especially Wolves won't do.

We aren’t that well balanced, our first-choice striker has only proved himself in the Championship. This is his golden opportunity to prove himself good enough for Chelsea but until he can do so we have a terribly average strikeforce this season. It will very likely cost us a lot of points this season.

I mean in terms of age and positions. We have a mix of youth, prime and experience and the right number of depth in all positions.

Edited by Argo

1 minute ago, Argo said:

That's the point, if we finish midtable they would have likely failed the audition and we revert to using the market to fill gaps, it's an opportunity for these guys but it's most certainly not a free hit, there will still be targets which they will have to hit.

They shouldn't, Wolves won't cope with thd Europa backlog (if they maintain 7th MOTY is a one horse race) and Everton have lost their best defender and midfielder.

Furthermore if we play like we did yesterday we should sweep up vs the bottom half teams, something Everton and especially Wolves won't do.

I mean in terms of age and positions. We have a mix of youth, prime and experience and the right number of depth in all positions.

Yes, or at least some of them. But Lampard will almost certainly be our manager come next summer so he'll be the one who gets a say in who we buy or don't buy. Assessing who is good enough and who isn't is a big part of Lampards job this season so we can hopefully get the right players in the market one year from now.

In terms of numbers we have them yes, but it remains to see if we have the required quality in some very important positions. Rightback, CB, wingers and strikers are the big question marks for me as of now.
But you never know, if everyone kicks on and gives up top level performances then maybe we could challenge for top 4 even but in no way do i think that should be the expectation this season.

Thankfully the season didn't end last weekend, or we'd be relegated :dead_horse:

Seriously, it's too early anticipate how we will go this season. Unlike last season, we got some tough games to start the season, we could be in the bottom half by the end of September. However, there are so much football still to be played, and lots of things will happen, just like how our season fall apart last year after losing the Spurs, or that 13 games straight the year before after 2 big looses. I'm sure Lampard learnt a lot from Sunday, he's a fast learner as a player and always willing to adapt, not going to be different when he's the manager.

I think we as fans just need to enjoy this season for what it is, its a transition year and we need to cherish the small things within games such as the development of our squad & our style of play. Victories will most likely mean a lot more as they will be a little less frequent than before however at the same time the pressure to win will most likely be eased too.

I look forward to the performances of RLC as I think he will be someone (Once he is fit) to come out as being a leader and give us that balance between technique and power in the middle of the park, alongside RLC I also look forward to CHO cementing his place in the team over a couple of experienced members.

Basically I would much rather finish 7th-10th and have a season where we've seen youth get a true shot & we know where we stand when it comes to youth integration in terms of who will form a part of our squad for the future and who is not good enough as opposed to finishing top 6 with a starting 11 of the usual suspects. 

A number of fans are relying on the return of injured players too much. We all know that it takes a long time to return to form once recovered from injury. Rudi, CHO and RLC have all had quite serious injuries and to be honest I don't see how we are going to get anything of any consequence from RLC this season. CHO, Rudiger and Willian are all back in full training just recently but a return to form may be a way off yet. We can't risk bringing CHO back too quickly and him having another setback. The same with Rudi. The only good news is that there is an international break soon. Maybe Rudi can come back after that and maybe Willian just before but I would seriously like to put CHO through his paces before we even consider putting him on the bench.

When these guys come back they will have been without match fitness for 3-4 months so patience is needed.

Edited by Andy North

It was much easier for me to watch the game against Utd as I know we can't expect to win every game. However we need to aim for 4th and be disappointed if that doesn't happen. This first game isn't an indication what will happen in the games. It just tells me we will have a nice rollercoaster ride all season.

Sure, we have some talented young players and a somewhat inexperienced coaching staff.  The minimum requirement should be that they develop, so that they are demonstrably better at the end of the season than they are now.  The goal is to get RLC, CHO, Mount, Tomori, James, Pukisic all playing well together so they develop and are positioned for stardom next season.  Even if we were to finish 10th, I don't think we brought in Cech and a cohesive coaching staff who know Chelsea just so we could spend £300 million and fire Frank for Allegri.  

We don't have a proven goal scorer, and our leading scorer has left.  And out defense is shaky.  Let's be realistic, allow things to develop, and have some patience.

Remember how hopeless things looked early on the season we won the title under Conte? After the defeat against Liverpool and Arsenal, nobody expected us to end up anywhere near the top of the table. The first few games are no indication of where we'll finish at the end of the season.

Obviously the challenge is far greater now than it was then, but who's to say we don't end up successful?

I think we'll definitely make top four, and if somehow we miss out, it's not the end of the world.

43 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

Sure, we have some talented young players and a somewhat inexperienced coaching staff.  The minimum requirement should be that they develop, so that they are demonstrably better at the end of the season than they are now.  The goal is to get RLC, CHO, Mount, Tomori, James, Pukisic all playing well together so they develop and are positioned for stardom next season.  Even if we were to finish 10th, I don't think we brought in Cech and a cohesive coaching staff who know Chelsea just so we could spend £300 million and fire Frank for Allegri.  

We don't have a proven goal scorer, and our leading scorer has left.  And out defense is shaky.  Let's be realistic, allow things to develop, and have some patience.

Forget the fans of Roman for a second, Lampard himself won't accept 10th and rightly so. We aren't fielding half a team of 18 year old first timers into men's football (then you can maybe say okay 10th is not too bad) we have some of the most experienced youth players around (Mount, James, Tammy already have about 200 senior appearances between them) coming into a squad full of well decorated winners.

6th with a points hall in the mid 60s we can turn around and say okay that's fine under the circumstances but 10th with early 50s points hall? Sorry but in no world is that acceptable with the squad we have, and actually I think that is being subconsciously quite dismissive of the lads coming in because in my eyes even now they are a LOT better than that.

It's funny seeing some fans now tripping over themselves with excuses to accept the fact we are no longer that "club" and to accept the fact that it's another so called "transition" season. I have lost count how many transition we have had already.
I remember people comparing the appointment of Lamp to Pep and when the facts were pointed out they got defensive.

Am just going to enjoy reading the forum and the predictable meltdown that I know is going to happen weekly after getting beat constantly.

Lampard hasn't shown anything that makes me think he will be anything more than a average manager that's just facts based on his record with Derby. Think of a Eddie Howe, highly rated but I don't believe he can cut it above that level..ala Moyes.

I believe this season will be our last in the champions league for a few years to come.

Having said all of that I will support him and hopes he proves me wrong unlike the anti Sarri fans who no matter what would blast him.

Just like to point out that football is very rarely predictable (Caveat - Man City & Vermin aside in the prem ). Last season everyone was worried about introducing Sarri Ball, the fear on here this time last year was it will likely take until November/ December to bear fruition. What happened was that we were title contenders initially, unbeaten for 18 matches, then over the festive busy period & in the new year it went to Crap rapidly. there was no transfer ban, Sarri was allegedly a top manager with experience (lots & lots over many leagues & seasons) Then just as the knives were out after the LC final and a sacking was on the cards we went on & made 3rd and won a trophy. So whilst a lot of the speculation is amusing, stop it, some  never learn , this is Chelsea even with a top manager in the dugout and no embargo there would be drama on and off the pitch , so go light up a spliff, take a sip of your favorite poison and RELAX ! None of us have a crystal ball, how about just backing the club, manager and players for once, we all know who's not up to par squad wise & SFL is a rookie- but why criticize it all the time ? It's not like any changes (i.e. replacements for those players lost and those not good enough) can be made until the embargo is lifted so we jut have to get on with it.

39 minutes ago, Brutos said:

It's funny seeing some fans now tripping over themselves with excuses to accept the fact we are no longer that "club" and to accept the fact that it's another so called "transition" season. I have lost count how many transition we have had already.
I remember people comparing the appointment of Lamp to Pep and when the facts were pointed out they got defensive.

Am just going to enjoy reading the forum and the predictable meltdown that I know is going to happen weekly after getting beat constantly.

Lampard hasn't shown anything that makes me think he will be anything more than a average manager that's just facts based on his record with Derby. Think of a Eddie Howe, highly rated but I don't believe he can cut it above that level..ala Moyes.

I believe this season will be our last in the champions league for a few years to come.

Having said all of that I will support him and hopes he proves me wrong unlike the anti Sarri fans who no matter what would blast him.

This is the thing. The club must have known we could face a ban, so I don't understand why the club didn't invest more in high calibre players a couple windows ago, rather than bloody Morata/Giroud/Drinkwater/Zappacosta/Bakayoko etc. Our scouting has been a bit mediocre compared to the likes of Liverpool, City and even Spurs. 

Edited by enigma

Really disappointed tonight. I championed Lampard from the moment he was mentioned as a potential choice for us, but things aren't right at the moment. The feeling I'm getting is that we'll play some good football like this but will keep getting unlucky. There's no strength in depth at all right now. And as crazy as this might sound, if we don't get the win against Leicester on Sunday, the pressure will be well and truly on. I just hope the majority of our fans keep their heads and don't call for Frank's. Lol. Of course, this is the worst way to start your reign at a new club, but he needs more time.

Just now, CFC-Forever said:

Really disappointed tonight. I championed Lampard from the moment he was mentioned as a potential choice for us, but things aren't right at the moment. The feeling I'm getting is that we'll play some good football like this but will keep getting unlucky. There's no strength in depth at all right now. And as crazy as this might sound, if we don't get the win against Leicester on Sunday, the pressure will be well and truly on. I just hope the majority of our fans keep their heads and don't call for Frank's. Lol. Of course, this is the worst way to start your reign at a new club, but he needs more time.

We just outplayed Liverpool for most of the game, lots of positives to take into Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, DidierDidier said:

We just outplayed Liverpool for most of the game, lots of positives to take into Sunday. 

I know that, but once the pressure starts I can't see this team holding up. Trust me, if we mess up on Sunday the media's spotlight will be firmly on us and Frank.

On 13/08/2019 at 18:11, Brutos said:

Yeah it looks like you are really supporting him with all your heart. But you know, (or perhaps hope?), that we are going to be "getting beaten constantly"

I don't. But TBF that's not surprising. I don't think I have ever agreed with anything you have ever posted. You bang on about people having an agenda over Jorginho, but brother do you have an agenda over spinning everything to do with Sarri. I have news. He has gone. Farked off. Left the building......... And......... it was HIS CHOICE!

Let it farking go please or go post on a Juve forum.

1 hour ago, DidierDidier said:

Or the other perspective is that Liverpool played rubbish and still beat us...

Going to get really bored of reading how great we are after defeats all season. It’s a bit Wolves or Everton that.