ForeverCarefree

Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

Has it been a good start to the season? No.

Should we be overly surprised? Not really.

Let’s not play down how big a transition this season is. A lot was said about needing patients with Sarri because he was overhauling our playing style so drastically, well Lampard is overseeing a change in playing style, a squad overhaul and cultural shift in mentally to player selection. It’s a huge task he’s undertaking.

This is a playing squad that lost leadership and experience in Hazard, Luiz, Cahill and replaced it with youthful promise.

When Jorginho, a player who has only been here 12 months, is spoken about as a leading voice on and off the pitch that tells us a lot about the make up of this squad.

We’ve got a brand new centre back pairing who need to develop an understanding. A new shape to our midfield. Youthful talents of Pulisic (let’s not forget he’s only 20 years old), Mount, Abraham being entrusted with large minutes of playing time.

I’d love to see us going out and smashing Leicester 5-0 today but we’ve got to be realistic about the state of the squad and the expectations we have for it right now. 

It’s early days, now is not the time to judge Lampard or these players, especially those playing their first full seasons for Chelsea.

Keep the faith. In Frankie we trust.

KTBFFH.

16 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Let’s not play down how big a transition this season is. A lot was said about needing patients with Sarri because he was overhauling our playing style so drastically, well Lampard is overseeing a change in playing style, a squad overhaul and cultural shift in mentally to player selection. It’s a huge task he’s undertaking.

This is a playing squad that lost leadership and experience in Hazard, Luiz, Cahill and replaced it with youthful promise.

When Jorginho, a player who has only been here 12 months, is spoken about as a leading voice on and off the pitch that tells us a lot about the make up of this squad.

We’ve got a brand new centre back pairing who need to develop an understanding. A new shape to our midfield. Youthful talents of Pulisic (let’s not forget he’s only 20 years old), Mount, Abraham being entrusted with large minutes of playing time.

I’d love to see us going out and smashing Leicester 5-0 today but we’ve got to be realistic about the state of the squad and the expectations we have for it right now. 

It’s early days, now is not the time to judge Lampard or these players, especially those playing their first full seasons for Chelsea.

KTBFFH.

Amen to that. Is a major rebuild and we need to give Frank and our young players time and patience.

40 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

KTBFFH.

Great post - and to add to that, if Lamps gets shanked before the end of the season, unless we're in a relegation battle, i'm going to be filthy.

Winning is a habit as they say and in the Premier League, if you want to succeed, you need to know how to win in many ways. We haven't won a game and the pressure is rising. Would love us to see win at Norwich but at this moment it can go many ways.

Full support for Frankie! It takes time to make a team so I'll just enjoy Mount and other becoming our new stars in this process, Roman will give Frankie a full season regardless of results and then we're back in the transfer market where we really should get a new right back and centre back.

10 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

A herbal tea is in order for many I'd suggest. 

We'll start to get a picture of how we're doing after about 10 PL games. There are some challenges but nothing that can't be fixed.

Spot on Spiller. We also have four quality players to return at some point; Rudiger, RLC, James and CHO. The first two will be nailed on starters. This will give Frank more options to choose from and RLC will give us more physical presence in midfield which I felt we  needed in the 2nd half yesterday.

Despite all the handicaps we have against us this season, I'm still optimistic Frank is the man for us. I'm already enjoying the higher tempo, more adventurous football we are playing now, much more than I did last season.

What’s with all this pressure folk are spouting about? We’ve played 2 games in the league for Christ sake. Gobsh*tes on Twitter are not going to force the clubs hand when match going fans booing the manager and telling him to f**k off didn’t influence them. Frank will be given time which is what he and these young players need. I HATE seeing us not win, but that’s football and expectations this season need to be adjusted to reflect it. We have no Devine right to heat anyone, especially when half our team are under 21 and playing together for the first time. It takes time to gel as a team and start to understand how each other player.

Frank is a young manager, he’s going to make mistakes, that’s just part and parcel of the project the board have taken on. As long as he learns from them then that’s what matters. He can start by ditching the zonal marking!

Edited by EdinburghBlue

Just for a bit of context, we took 1 point from games against Leicester at home and United away last season and have done the same this.

We played some great stuff yesterday in the first half and were unlucky not to score more than 1, the second half though was night and day and in the end we were very very fortunate to escape with a draw. We look at our most vulnerable going backwards and i am hoping this is something that will be resolved once Rudi returns, and maybe by closing the gap between the midfield.

Lamps said yesterday that he doesn't expect the players to be at 100mph for the entire game, but expects us to be better without the ball and i think that is the most important thing for us. The chances and goals will come, but we do need to be better defensively.

We knew this season had the potential to be a long and uncomfortable one, may as well enjoy the ride. 

I believe fatigue played a big role yesterday. 125 minutes of football against a very tough team midweek is going to take a toll on anyone and now we can’t really rotate much which led to players that were clearly fatigued after a fresh start.

I do feel like we should have switched to a 4-3-3 as we lost control of the game in the second half to regain control in midfield as we struggled when Leicester doubled up on Jorginho who couldn’t possibly cover two Leicester-players which often left Maddison open.

We’ll be alright but a win against Norwich is important now.

Still disgusted with Willians performance. Handing him a new contract would be a horrific decision, let it run out and have him leave the club next summer.

What’s with all this pressure folk are spouting about? We’ve played 2 games in the league for Christ sake. Gobsh*tes on Twitter are not going to force the clubs hand when match going fans booing the manager and telling him to f**k off didn’t influence them. Frank will be given time which is what he and these young players need. I HATE seeing us not win, but that’s football and expectations this season need to be adjusted to reflect it. We have no Devine right to heat anyone, especially when half our team are under 21 and playing together for the first time. It takes time to gel as a team and start to understand how each other player.

Frank is a young manager, he’s going to make mistakes, that’s just part and parcel of the project the board have taken on. As long as he learns from them then that’s what matters. He can start by ditching the zonal marking!
We are expected to win every match. That is why there is that conversation.

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

I believe fatigue played a big role yesterday. 125 minutes of football against a very tough team midweek is going to take a toll on anyone and now we can’t really rotate much which led to players that were clearly fatigued after a fresh start.

I do feel like we should have switched to a 4-3-3 as we lost control of the game in the second half to regain control in midfield as we struggled when Leicester doubled up on Jorginho who couldn’t possibly cover two Leicester-players which often left Maddison open.

We’ll be alright but a win against Norwich is important now.

Still disgusted with Willians performance. Handing him a new contract would be a horrific decision, let it run out and have him leave the club next summer.

I am not sure Jorginho can function well in a 4-2-3-1, and I do wonder if Lamps thinking is 4-3-3 v the Big 6 and 4-2-3-1 v the other teams. With a 4-3-3 we are solid but offer very little creatively in the middle of the park, with a 4-2-3-1 we have the luxury of playing a Mount/Barkley  behind the frontman.

It's not like any other rivals of ours have set the league on fire in the past two fixtures. Only City have looked pretty good. Liverpool did well in the first fixture, but also looked shaky Vs Norwich, didn't look good against us and last fixture weren't incredible either.

Spurs have been fortunate in their fixtures and as have arsenal, relying on Aubameyang and Lacazette. We will see how utd do tonight against a good wolves side to make more judgement on them. 

36 minutes ago, evissy said:
2 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

We are expected to win every match.

57% of this forum think we will be outside the top four, that doesn't sound like those 57% expect to win every game.

Well I am going to enjoy this season what ever it brings, f**k the media and all the idiots spouting bollox on social media, lets enjoy Frank being here, and the potential of free flowing fast football and the youngsters coming through, with more to come. Good times a head I feel, also if an offer from abroad comes in for Willian in next week or so lets get rid, waste of space.

52 minutes ago, ducavis said:

I am not sure Jorginho can function well in a 4-2-3-1, and I do wonder if Lamps thinking is 4-3-3 v the Big 6 and 4-2-3-1 v the other teams. With a 4-3-3 we are solid but offer very little creatively in the middle of the park, with a 4-2-3-1 we have the luxury of playing a Mount/Barkley  behind the frontman.

Depends on how we press without the ball. We pressed with one midifelder and a striker against Liverpool and it worked well. We pressed with two midfielders at times v Leicester and United and he was badly exposed.

It's the Cesc problem all over again. I think once RLC returns we might see him more in Europe and less in the PL. He just doesn't have the wheels to play in a team that presses high and needs him to cover the quick English counters. 

He's a good player but if you want to press high you have to have someone who can cover behind you. He isn't that player.

1 hour ago, ducavis said:

You say that but look at how often we opened Liverpool up playing a 4-3-3, personally that is our best formation.

12 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

KTBFFH.

Thank you for injecting some non reactionary common sense into the discussion.  It's a learning process/on-the-job training for our coaching staff, and the young players.  We knew this was likely to happen, yet there are still some people surprised that we are not firing on all cylinders for every game and for 90 minutes.

I don't think the first 3 games have been that bad, played some lovely football at OT, played one of the best attacking games I have seen for years against Liverpool, first 20mins was great yesterday but I do feel tiredness played a part and we dont have those magic players to get us past those games were you play bad but still win like Salah and Mane. It's a transition year and for Lampard to get his ideas across, I always thought before the season started anything above 6th is a good year. 

We badly need a forward, Giroud is not someone who will score many goals across a league season plus he is knackered by the 60th minute, doesnt help he is so static. I've enjoyed watching Mount, his close control is quality and great to see him score a goal yesterday, cant wait for CHO and RLC to come back from injury.

Emery is in his second season and spent lots of money and has the players he wants, he is under pressure to get top 4 or a trophy, Poch and Klopp have been in their jobs a long time now, they should be ahead of Chelsea IMO by the end of the season. It's a learning curve for Lampard and as long as we play some good football and the youngsters progress so we dont spend anymore on flops then I'm happy, that's my expectations for this season, top 4 would be remarkable with the transfer ban IMO.

57% of this forum think we will be outside the top four, that doesn't sound like those 57% expect to win every game.
I don't care what we think. Everyone outside Chelsea expect us to win as they are not playing much attention to us otherwise. Roman expect us to win, Marina expect us to win. There is a better understanding if we lose but if we face any other team than Liverpool or City we are looking to win. That is just the way it is and it is a good thing.

F**king love this season, seeing the new faces, seeing Frank as manager, seeing youth integrated, and seeing promise.  One of the things in the past was the essence of needing to win big, and win now.  I honestly don't feel that this season, I think everyone with any sense should realize that this is a huge overhaul.  The biggest in the Roman era. 

I fully expect Frank to be given this year, with the transfer ban, to keep us in the top 6.  If development is made, and promise is shown, I expect some cash will be thrown his way to add where needed next year.  I don't think there is as much pressure on him (other than what he puts on himself) as the pundits are making out.

Also, I saw that #LampardOut was trending on twitter yesterday.  I looked into it and there was one guy who claimed he had followed Chelsea since 04 who started an account, and then all the other hashtags were just Utd and other Rival fans typing it in to bash Chelsea with.  Pretty pathetic really, but I will add it is pathetic if you're a Chelsea fan already considering this to be something that should materialize. 

The last 15 years we have won loads of trophies and if you look at football it runs in cycles. Liverpool late 70s 80s Utd in the 90s and then us. I’m so buzzed up by Super Frank leading our club through this changed I wouldn’t want anyone else to do it. Whatever happens this season the young players will of got valuable experience in the prem and CL and so will Frank. Big Roman can give him a couple of hundred million of loose change off his bed side table next summer to strengthen then we will be back and we can stick all these s**te comments from Souness and Sherwood right up their a***s!

17 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

KTBFFH.

What a load of old garbage.. 

8 hours ago, mad_mac said:

F**king love this season, seeing the new faces, seeing Frank as manager, seeing youth integrated, and seeing promise.  One of the things in the past was the essence of needing to win big, and win now.  I honestly don't feel that this season, I think everyone with any sense should realize that this is a huge overhaul.  The biggest in the Roman era. 

I fully expect Frank to be given this year, with the transfer ban, to keep us in the top 6.  If development is made, and promise is shown, I expect some cash will be thrown his way to add where needed next year.  I don't think there is as much pressure on him (other than what he puts on himself) as the pundits are making out.

Also, I saw that #LampardOut was trending on twitter yesterday.  I looked into it and there was one guy who claimed he had followed Chelsea since 04 who started an account, and then all the other hashtags were just Utd and other Rival fans typing it in to bash Chelsea with.  Pretty pathetic really, but I will add it is pathetic if you're a Chelsea fan already considering this to be something that should materialize. 

Follower from 04 onwards. Lol. Says all you need to know about that c**t. f**k him and his opinion.