Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

11 minutes ago, Brutos said:

Hope we can have a good win next match with a clean sheet....hopefully

I think this may be a bit of a holy grail for a while. I think with this style of play we are sure to be vulnerable and inexperienced defensively for a while,  I realised watching the game yesterday that all of our matches will probably be competitive this year which could be refreshingly enjoyable. Having a superior attitude over the likes of Burnley, Leicester, Wolves, Villa etc would only lead to frustration and irritation (certainly in my living room) in our inability to live up to our historical expectations. Winning 3-2 away to a newly promoted Championship team was ten times more enjoyable that watching the previous puerile attempts at rope-a-dope football against Man City that we saw under previous regimes.

How refreshing is it to see this type of football after months of watching paint dry under Sarri, though?

I'm liking the style of play a lot. 

It's obviously not very stable defensively but I don't expect too many bore draws the way it's going. 

On another note, it's only early days but Chelsea's popularity amongst fans in general has really shot up - or rather, their dislike of Cheisea has really plummeted due to the Lampard factor. 

Unusual to say the least.

1 minute ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

How refreshing is it to see this type of football after months of watching paint dry under Sarri, though?

It's obviously not very stable defensively but I don't expect too many bore draws the way it's going. 

On another note, it's only early days but Chelsea's popularity amongst fans in general has really shot up - or rather, their dislike of Cheisea has really plummeted due to the Lampard factor. 

Unusual to say the least.

Yes, i must admit that i am a little surprised that the press, and particularly Sky haven't tried to create some link between the recent racial abuse that Man Utd players have been subject to and the abuse that Tammy received, thus creating an unofficial causal link to Chelsea.

Our credibility rating must be on the up or else i would surely have heard that fake sensationlist clown, Jim White and his punch drunk crony Bob Mills, trying to link the fake twitter accounts to the chelsea racist abusers. on Talksport.

15 minutes ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

Tough ask. Clean sheets look like they'll be few and far between this season.

Looks like the case all round. Our top 6 rivals have 3 in 15 between them with Liverpool and Spurs still to get off the mark on that regard aswell.

12 minutes ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

I don't want to start another mass Sarri debate but he has to be credited for laying down the fundementals of this system (ie possession play, press resistance and playing out). As good as Lampard's done getting us looking so aesthetically pleasing so early the transition wouldn't have been as easy if he took over from Conte and would have likely overseen some boring possession games himself. Lampard himself was in a similar position taking over at Derby from a coach like Rowett and they had many lots of foreplay but little penetration games aswell.

Looking back us and Sarri was a pretty decent marriage of convenience, we got a man to start the process of changing our style while he got his buffer between Napoli and Juve.

We are not a functioning team yet, takes time. We need to be able to control games by holding the ball. Second half at Norwich we did but I think Norwich didn't do really well there. Sprayed the ball all the time and missed easy passes. Some of it was due to our good pressing.

I like Frank's approach to football. High energy, high press, high tempo. He likes quick players. He also likes our players to shoot. We are taking a lot of shots. Very pleasing to watch.

I watched second half of City's game and there were 5 minute patches in the game where they just passed the ball between defenders. Boring as hell but they were managing the game. We need some of that to our football. They were gathering energy, running the clock down and talking energy out of the opponent.

7 hours ago, evissy said:

We are not a functioning team yet, takes time. We need to be able to control games by holding the ball. Second half at Norwich we did but I think Norwich didn't do really well there. Sprayed the ball all the time and missed easy passes. Some of it was due to our good pressing.

I like Frank's approach to football. High energy, high press, high tempo. He likes quick players. He also likes our players to shoot. We are taking a lot of shots. Very pleasing to watch.

I watched second half of City's game and there were 5 minute patches in the game where they just passed the ball between defenders. Boring as hell but they were managing the game. We need some of that to our football. They were gathering energy, running the clock down and talking energy out of the opponent.

What I think is happening is that by having Mount playing further forward we don't have the three man block in midfield and the defence is not as compact with the midfield so we are more open.

The good thing is we are more offensive though for me, more work still to do on the defensive 'phase' to quote the recently departed Sarri.  

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 03:02, evissy said:

I agree.

I think conserving energy will become more important as the season progresses. We need to know how to slow the play when it suits us. I think this type of intelligence comes from experienced players who can read a games pace or are just too tired to run. Seriously though we do need to learn how to control the pace of a game. Our passing is quick but sometimes profligate. We need to retain the ball better and keep passing sequences going whereby the opposition just get too tired of chasing. I know this is looking for Utopia but it does seem to be the direction that Frank is heading. If we have to run the clock down so be it.

If Frank and Jody can coach this into the younger players we will be fine but I'm not expecting an overnight revolution.

I agree.
I think conserving energy will become more important as the season progresses. We need to know how to slow the play when it suits us. I think this type of intelligence comes from experienced players who can read a games pace or are just too tired to run. Seriously though we do need to learn how to control the pace of a game. Our passing is quick but sometimes profligate. We need to retain the ball better and keep passing sequences going whereby the opposition just get too tired of chasing. I know this is looking for Utopia but it does seem to be the direction that Frank is heading. If we have to run the clock down so be it.
If Frank and Jody can coach this into the younger players we will be fine but I'm not expecting an overnight revolution.
We are relying on scoring in the first 15 mins the way we play now. If we do so fine but we need to know how to take the wind out of opponent as well. As you say these things come with experience. We will hit and miss with this all season so it will be painful at times. The frustrstion will come from not taking our chances. Teams like Wolves, Leicester and Everton can easily run the game against us not to mention the top 6 teams... Anyway we are a work in progress.
1 hour ago, evissy said:
2 hours ago, Andy North said:
I agree.

We are relying on scoring in the first 15 mins the way we play now. If we do so fine but we need to know how to take the wind out of opponent as well. As you say these things come with experience. We will hit and miss with this all season so it will be painful at times. The frustrstion will come from not taking our chances. Teams like Wolves, Leicester and Everton can easily run the game against us not to mention the top 6 teams... Anyway we are a work in progress.

I think the younger players have to learn how to keep possession and sometimes pass it around at the back or go down. These are dark arts and they probably haven't had too much experience of them.

If they are smart and listen to Frank and Jody they will learn. If they are stupid and think they know it all I expect Frank to sack them.

I expect Frank has learned that scoring in the first half hour of a match is very beneficial to your chance of winning said match whether you are home or away. (Even more important) 

I'm perfectly happy to see us go for it at the start of matches to seek out that goal with the possibility of conceding that goes along with it. Scoring first at home typically leads to 3pts. Scoring first away leads to at least securing 1pt. 

2 hours ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

I expect Frank has learned that scoring in the first half hour of a match is very beneficial to your chance of winning said match whether you are home or away. (Even more important) 

I'm perfectly happy to see us go for it at the start of matches to seek out that goal with the possibility of conceding that goes along with it. Scoring first at home typically leads to 3pts. Scoring first away leads to at least securing 1pt. 

Starting games fast is weird to see. For years now we have been incredibly slow starters, so it's nice to see us go for it early.

8 minutes ago, evissy said:
6 hours ago, Scott Harris said:
Starting games fast is weird to see. For years now we have been incredibly slow starters, so it's nice to see us go for it early.

This is something Frank learned from Chelsea 2004-05. Jose always pressed the importance of fast starts.

Thing is Jose was a master of the dark art of holding a 1-0 lead for 80 mins, at the moment I think we need to get 2 or 3 up (this isnt a complaint) just that back line back then was just about the best in Europe 

3 games down (2 away)

Shots per game - 1st city- 21 

2nd lvpool/chelsea 18.3

Shots on target per game - 1st city- 8

2nd chelsea 6.67

3rd lvpoo   6

Defensive stats not so good, but Rudiger/James will help that get better.

Strange substitutions tonight, clearly were under a bit of pressure and needed to lock the game up, and he pulls off Kovacic who had been one of our better players and brings on an 18 year old debutant who is too scared or nervous to compete for the ball, or make a simple pass.

Will be interesting to see how long he perseveres with Dave at RB. Either way some more entertaining football and good to see Tammy and Mount continue to play well. Again we really missed a few of the injured lads so expect us to improve.

Unfortunately, my worst fears are being recognised. I know this is a transitional season, but the subs today did cost us the game. 2-0 up at home to Sheffield United and then drawing is unforgivable. Of course, I would give Frank the whole season regardless of what happens, but the Lampard out crowd are really finding their voice now. I have no reason whatsoever to believe that Lampard will still be here come Christmas time if we carry on like this. Honestly, if we don't start stringing together some comfortable wins he's done for.

10 minutes ago, Jonty said:

Strange substitutions tonight, clearly were under a bit of pressure and needed to lock the game up, and he pulls off Kovacic who had been one of our better players and brings on an 18 year old debutant who is too scared or nervous to compete for the ball, or make a simple pass.

Will be interesting to see how long he perseveres with Dave at RB. Either way some more entertaining football and good to see Tammy and Mount continue to play well. Again we really missed a few of the injured lads so expect us to improve.

Agreed on the Gilmour substitution. Save him for the Carabao cup, or when we are at least 2 goals up. A nervy 2-1 lead when we havent been finishing games strongly anyway was not great for the team or for Gilmour. Feel a bit for the boy. Overall a decent performance but Mount and Pulisic didnt have much impact from out wide. Tomori looked very good at the back but we need Christensen or Rudiger, when fit, alongside him. Had two centre halves today who couldnt play the ball out from the back. Zouma just isnt good enough on the ball, and Tomori seems more comfortable but understandably wasnt able/confident enough to dictate play and take responsibility on his league debut. A lot of shifting it sideways between our centre backs, both passing the buck until Azpi, Emerson or Jorginho could receive the ball and do something meaningful with it.

17 minutes ago, Jonty said:

An utterly stupid decision (Billy for Kovacic) from a very intelligent guy - wake up Frank.  Four games in and dissent is starting to show (here and on The Shed).

Edited by Bloo
2 minutes ago, CFC-Forever said:

Unfortunately, my worst fears are being recognised. I know this is a transitional season, but the subs today did cost us the game. 2-0 up at home to Sheffield United and then drawing is unforgivable. Of course, I would give Frank the whole season regardless of what happens, but the Lampard out crowd are really finding their voice now. I have no reason whatsoever to believe that Lampard will still be here come Christmas time if we carry on like this. Honestly, if we don't start stringing together some comfortable wins he's done for.

He'll stay the season for sure. 1) we have as many points as United, supposedly another top 6 rival, and we have a lot more reason than them for our poor start. 2) We will improve. Rudiger will be huge at the back, a fully fit Kante will plug some gaps, and the young boys will grow into men and make fewer errors and have a bigger overall impact. I think the first 10 games will be tough but after that we'll be fine. Top 6 was the target (top 4 would be great but unlikely), and I still think we will get Top 6. As long as we're better at the end of the season than now, especially defensively, I think we'll be ok.

Only trouble I have with Lamps was benching Christensen, I think he puts way too much trust into Zouma who in my opinion is one of the biggest causes for conceding all the goals we concede. 

But Frank is short of options, without Kante it's difficult to get the back 4 any protection, Jorginho is playing much better these days but he still doesn't cover ground that well. And I think we're starting to see the decline of Azpiliceuta who for years has been one of our most solid defenders, he doesn't seem to be able to stick to players like glue anymore. He was very Ashley Cole'ish for years, particularly under Mourinho, he would stick to players and always get a foot in, now that's just not the case and it's horrible to say but it's almost as if it's Ivanovic 2.0 in his later years (SO FAR anyway, it's only 4 games).

Besides that I don't have any problems with what Frank did, it's easy to say he was wrong in hindsight, but I had no problems with the substitutions at the time so I'm not going to pretend like it was a major mistake now. I only had an issue with Christensen not starting and Zouma playing instead.