ForeverCarefree

Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

4 hours ago, Andy North said:

If Kante is fit you have to play him. Its as simple as that. If there is any doubt and a chance of the injury reoccurring you don't. His contribution is almost that of two players and he tightens up the defence and takes control of the centre of the pitch. Kovacic has been exceptional but Kante is more exceptional. 

I don't like the thought of Kante getting back into the team just because of what he has done in the past. Kante has been unfortunate with injuries, but in his absence, Kovacic has played really well. If Kante is going to get back into the team, then I would prefer to see him earn it back over just being put back in because he is Kante.

2 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't like the thought of Kante getting back into the team just because of what he has done in the past. Kante has been unfortunate with injuries, but in his absence, Kovacic has played really well. If Kante is going to get back into the team, then I would prefer to see him earn it back over just being put back in because he is Kante.

He gets back in for what he has done in the past and he gets back in for what he can do in the future. Kovacic has done very well but the fact remains Kante brings more to the team than Kovacic. It's tough I know but that's how it is at the best teams and just because we have an abundance of midfield talent shouldn't mean we get sentimental over player choice. Kante has proven consistency whereas Kovacic has only recently upped his game.

I'm sure Kante will be showing plenty in training and Frank will have to earn his wage by making these difficult decisions. Its a good problem to have and maybe Frank will rotate a bit more to save both of them for the later stages of the season. Before his injury and since his arrival Kante has been one of our best two players, Hazard being the other one. Kovacic still has some way to go before he claim's that mantle. He hasn't scored in his time here and quite frankly he hasn't looked close. He is getting closer but still isn't the finished article whereas Kante is.

4 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Love the never say die and fighting mentality Frank installed in this bunch of players. I have seen better Chelsea teams throw their towels in when in scenarios like Tuesday, this team just never lost the belief and kept going. When you are brave, you get that bit of luck like we did. If we didn't press them, their players wouldn't have resulted in fouls and got themselves sent off, VAR or not, we deserved something out of that game.

This is a really good point. I remember when AVB was sacked and RDM took over. I've always said the dressing room mentality in that period won the CL and not management nous. The team got together and decided they were going to win that year. They never gave up and raised their levels every time they needed to. Frank was a big part of that dressing room and if his management skills transmit that mentality to this dressing room he will become a seriously good manager.

I could wax lyrical all day about Franks potential but I'll leave it there.

19 minutes ago, Andy North said:

He gets back in for what he has done in the past and he gets back in for what he can do in the future. Kovacic has done very well but the fact remains Kante brings more to the team than Kovacic. It's tough I know but that's how it is at the best teams and just because we have an abundance of midfield talent shouldn't mean we get sentimental over player choice. Kante has proven consistency whereas Kovacic has only recently upped his game.

I'm sure Kante will be showing plenty in training and Frank will have to earn his wage by making these difficult decisions. Its a good problem to have and maybe Frank will rotate a bit more to save both of them for the later stages of the season. Before his injury and since his arrival Kante has been one of our best two players, Hazard being the other one. Kovacic still has some way to go before he claim's that mantle. He hasn't scored in his time here and quite frankly he hasn't looked close. He is getting closer but still isn't the finished article whereas Kante is.

Kovacic is playing so well now that dropping him may just disrupt the rythm of our team and may impact our results. 

If Kante comes in, I want him to come back in because he is playing better than Kovacic and is making us better as a team. 

4 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Kovacic is playing so well now that dropping him may just disrupt the rythm of our team and may impact our results. 

If Kante comes in, I want him to come back in because he is playing better than Kovacic and is making us better as a team. 

I can't see how a fit Kante doesn't improve the team. He can do what Kovacic does and more. His interceptions in midfield, his running off the ball and his contribution in attack are key. With Jorginho banned this weekend we could start with both. When RLC comes back we have further options. The future is bright and if Kovacic continues to improve, (imagine a scoring Kovacic) he could become central to our future but at the moment he isn't quite there.

Frank has a good problem and long may it continue.

If I was Frank I would revert to 4-3-3 and play Kante in place of Mount, I reckon it would give us better balance as a team. Think Kova is in far too good form to be dropped, if we look at overall performances recently than out of all midfield starters Mount is the one whose performances have dipped slightly, the lad needs a little break to get his batteries recharged. 

16 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

If I was Frank I would revert to 4-3-3 and play Kante in place of Mount, I reckon it would give us better balance as a team. Think Kova is in far too good form to be dropped, if we look at overall performances recently than out of all midfield starters Mount is the one whose performances have dipped slightly, the lad needs a little break to get his batteries recharged. 

That midfield only works against the elite, there's not enough threat in the final third with that midfield not just in goals/assists but general play. Against sh*t house teams like Palace under Roy we need more final third threat from midfield, especially at home.

5 hours ago, Andy North said:

I can't see how a fit Kante doesn't improve the team. He can do what Kovacic does and more. His interceptions in midfield, his running off the ball and his contribution in attack are key. With Jorginho banned this weekend we could start with both. When RLC comes back we have further options. The future is bright and if Kovacic continues to improve, (imagine a scoring Kovacic) he could become central to our future but at the moment he isn't quite there.

Frank has a good problem and long may it continue.

While Kante would likely long term win out in the battle it doesn't send the right message if he benches Kovacic immediately. Kova has been playing at a world class level this past month and deserves to be rewarded as such.

If he's put straight back on the bench it will send a message that he's only a back up no matter what he does and will more than likely seek a move.

Although that said Kante and Kova will both be playing the next two games anyway, Palace because Jorginho is suspended and City because I imagine the Kova, Kante and Jorginho axis will be unleashed.

9 hours ago, Argo said:

That midfield only works against the elite, there's not enough threat in the final third with that midfield not just in goals/assists but general play. Against sh*t house teams like Palace under Roy we need more final third threat from midfield, especially at home.

While Kante would likely long term win out in the battle it doesn't send the right message if he benches Kovacic immediately. Kova has been playing at a world class level this past month and deserves to be rewarded as such.

If he's put straight back on the bench it will send a message that he's only a back up no matter what he does and will more than likely seek a move.

Although that said Kante and Kova will both be playing the next two games anyway, Palace because Jorginho is suspended and City because I imagine the Kova, Kante and Jorginho axis will be unleashed.

It could be argued that a fit Kante would also see benching him as a message. In reality they both know they will get rotated and have to compete for their place. Frank cannot be scared to leave somebody out because they might seek a move. He has to impress upon them that this is a big club playing Champions and Premier League matches and they can't expect to play in every game. I suspect they know any club in the same situation has to rotate so seeking a move doesn't achieve much.

The situation for the next two games highlights a situation that allows Frank to rotate without too much of a problem and I'm sure there will other opportunities.

PS. Irrelevant, but who would you rather see leave the club?

3 hours ago, Andy North said:

It could be argued that a fit Kante would also see benching him as a message. In reality they both know they will get rotated and have to compete for their place. Frank cannot be scared to leave somebody out because they might seek a move. He has to impress upon them that this is a big club playing Champions and Premier League matches and they can't expect to play in every game. I suspect they know any club in the same situation has to rotate so seeking a move doesn't achieve much.

The situation for the next two games highlights a situation that allows Frank to rotate without too much of a problem and I'm sure there will other opportunities.

PS. Irrelevant, but who would you rather see leave the club?

I agree Frank shouldn't be scared to leave people out but doing so with Kova after he's operated at a world class level for a month is unfair and would make a mockery of what he's been saying all season about selection being on merit, and that's before we mention Kante may take a while to get back upto speed.

When I say he may seek a move is not because he has to fight for his place, it may occur if comes to a point fightings pointless. I remember when Wayne Bridge was happy fighting and for the most part covering Ashley Cole but after a period of playing very well in Ash's abscene only to lose his place the moment he was fit again was the wake up call he needed to realise he needed to move.

Regarding who I'd rather see leave, neither, having both is a dream for rotation and options.

Edited by Argo

1 minute ago, Bonzodog29 said:

Oh Man, Manager of the month or the kiss of death... 

I don't really buy that to be honest. 

Conte kept winning the award during our winning run and it never affected results, the only time I remember Jose winning it and parading it at Stamford Bridge we went onto win 4-0.

It only really seems to be a "curse" when midtable managers win it and law of averages would statically make a drop of results for those teams (after a strong run) always likely.

7 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Not bad going is it! Must all be luck, he’s too inexperienced after all!

I seem to remember people used to say that about Super Frank's goal scoring record - nothing but deflections & PKs :Troll_Face:

On 07/11/2019 at 07:49, Scott Harris said:

I agree with what you're saying. He should have to earn his way back to a regular spot. I don't doubt he will but that's the reality for Chelsea players now, fight for a spot and keep it or get dropped.

On 03/11/2019 at 12:36, Argo said:

We didn't get a new manager bounce, we won twice in our first eight games.

The OGS effect was down to United players being more happy and clinical for a while, the quality of football we're seeing here can't be explained away with a mere bounce, it takes some serious quality coaching to teach some of the patterns in our play.

That said I do think we will hit another lean spell sometime purely because it's inevitable in a squad with only two players at their peak in it, that's why I hope the title talk doesn't start if we keep up the run longer because it's not realistically on this season.

Sick to death of the OGS honeymoon period comparison, it's completely different. You could compare that to Di Matteo yes, someone who came in while the players were on a strike and played off the positivity off their manager leaving, that's what happened with United, they would've played well for Ryan Giggs or anyone who came through just in spite of Mourinho leaving at the time. 

What Lampard has done is completely different, he's started the season fresh, he hasn't come in on a bad patch, the players just lost their gaffer to Juventus and won the Europa League, there's no doubt Sarri would've still been here if he didn't choose to leave. United fans keep pointing this out but can't seem to put it into context, Lampard is clearly a much better manager, OGS has achieved nothing in 10 years of management, Lampard has just started out and has done really well so far, he's clearly the superior manager of the two. 

There's no doubt in my mind that we will be in for a shakey period where form will dip and we will struggle through certain points, but it's clear Lampard his built this foundation right now, he's given a lot of these players the chance and they know without him that would've been impossible. I doubt even Sarri would've played the likes of Mount, Tammy, Zouma or Tomori, possibly Tammy but I doubt the other three. So no matter what this is his team, Ole hasn't built any team, his team has no foundation or way of playing, Lampards is pretty clear and there's a development going on. 

On 07/11/2019 at 13:49, Scott Harris said:

I think Kovacic is better than Kante in a deeper role, but Kovacic is much better at moving the ball around quicker and not disrupting the play. Something that annoys me with Kante is that he dwells on the ball a lot, you'll notice it when we are on the frontfoot and we are passing it around the 6 yard box, he's even worse than Willian for it and it only allows the opposition to become more compact. 

But he will start this weekend surely, we need him to, it's good for him to make a point that he's still top dog and a definite starter. He was absolutely incredible in the Super Cup Final, luckily we haven't missed him too much because of how good Jorginho and Kovacic have played. But like I said, with no Jorginho who else? Barkley and RLC are not fit, Mount is injured, it has to be Kante there. 

We've been playing without Rudiger, Kante and RLC almost all season. We've been very unlucky with the injuries. Not saying we'd be playing better or higher up the table but that is 3 international level players not to mention Kante who is among the worlds top players.

29 minutes ago, evissy said:

We've been playing without Rudiger, Kante and RLC almost all season. We've been very unlucky with the injuries. Not saying we'd be playing better or higher up the table but that is 3 international level players not to mention Kante who is among the worlds top players.

That's the crazy thing about it all. We've been missing our best centre back, one of the best midfielders in the world and one of our best creative sparks and we're doing really well. With those three to come back in over the winter we're well set up. Not to get over confident at an early stage but this season has been so much better than we've hoped for.