ForeverCarefree

Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

On 09/12/2019 at 13:04, Andy North said:

He's 28. Yes £150m is ridiculous but apparently Jose and Man Utd are after him at about £95m. We should consider this. He wouldn't need replacing for maybe 3-4 years by which time Tomori may be up to the task. 

We have a problem at the back and we need some experience in the team so he would be a good fit. Any money we got from a sale of Christensen could also be thrown into the equation.

We need to do something if we are to push on. I don't think Ake is the answer for our back 4 although it is being reported the club have a buy back option. It's a hard decision, especially as Ake picked up an injury against Liverpool. 

Fair points, thought he was older. 

If we could raise £40m from selling Christiansen, and get Koulibaly for £95m, then i would be down with that. 

Koulibaly would definitely improve us a lot, and he plays left centre back aswell. I think another reason none of centre back options are particularly great, is because all 4 prefer to play on the right. 

6 hours ago, Gentian said:

Paying £95 million for a CB that will be 29 soon its ridiculous, including wages and agents fees, koulibaly will be a huge expense. 

There are other upcoming but potentially world class cb that could cost half of koulibaly. 

Agree, I would much rather let another team pay that ridiculous price. 

We should look elsewhere. 

Concur the back 4 needs sorting out couple may not be up to the required level not so easy to upgrade in January. Other teams seem to acquire top players without shopping at Harrods, Leicester don’t miss Maguire. 

Overall if you’d told me / us back in August that by the end of the final CL group tie the club would have made the KO round & be top 4 we’d all of taken it, 2 bob defense & all !

Frank deciding to strengthen after all:

I think it will be a bit fluid and discussions will be ongoing from now about where we can strengthen,” Lampard told BT Sport.

“Of course, with Eden leaving we lost a lot of goals and creation in that particular position.

“Today we’ve missed some chances and we can look at strengthening and pushing and getting more competition in those areas.”

https://www.football365.com/news/lampard-names-position-chelsea-want-to-strengthen-in-january

I still reckon the priority of the transfer window will be defenders, Lampard was smart to not being too harsh on the defenders, and divert the attention away. No doubt, we will need reinforcement in the front line, but Abraham and Pullisic are doing better than Hazard and his striker mates at this stage last season. I can't see us getting Sancho in January, Zaha is an option, but if another 30M get you Sancho, it's worth the wait.

I think Frank is concerned we are creating lot of chances yet not burying them.

As regards defence we had dodgy times under both Conte and Sarri yet they played more systematic football with having spaced lines between defence-midfield-attack so attackers could not run through as, soon as the attacker had evaded the first wave the second was on top of him. This enabled us to survive without top defenders.

Now he may be thinking the same thing and then looking at the front options asking with just three attackers to see who has the pace, strength and guile to win us matches, if so I can see his logic about better attacking options.

I hope we don’t get put off a player because they’re cup tied in the CL. That would be very short sided. If we come out of January having signed Zaha & Ake I would be disheartened I must admit.

5 minutes ago, rtwelch said:

I hope we don’t get put off a player because they’re cup tied in the CL. That would be very short sided. If we come out of January having signed Zaha & Ake I would be disheartened I must admit.

I could be wrong but I am fairly sure UEFA changed the rules now so that players are not cup tied and should they transfer can play for the new team... 

1 hour ago, Bonzodog29 said:

I could be wrong but I am fairly sure UEFA changed the rules now so that players are not cup tied and should they transfer can play for the new team... 

Didnt realize that tbh, i think that could be massive, might make a sancho or werner signing more likely, depending on the draw.

5 minutes ago, big blue said:

Didnt realize that tbh, i think that could be massive, might make a sancho or werner signing more likely, depending on the draw.

I did start to doubt myself but just found this (I never discount the possibility that i am talking bullsh*t) 

On March 27th 2018 UEFA announced that they will be phasing out the cup tie rule for the Champions League and Europa League starting in the 2018-2019 season. ... This means that players can represent two different clubs in the Europa League and Champions League, but only a maximum of one player per club.

3 hours ago, Bonzodog29 said:

I did start to doubt myself but just found this (I never discount the possibility that i am talking bullsh*t) 

On March 27th 2018 UEFA announced that they will be phasing out the cup tie rule for the Champions League and Europa League starting in the 2018-2019 season. ... This means that players can represent two different clubs in the Europa League and Champions League, but only a maximum of one player per club.

Haha, sounds like by limiting it to just one player they are not sure of the effects of this, possibly some mercenary players might jump clubs after their one gets knocked out for another left in. 

Jury is out on Lampard for me. I am not sure he's good enough to be coaching at this level, at least not yet. I always felt he should have stayed for at least another season in the Championship to ply his trade. If we are serious about challenging for big trophies, the whole fairytale narrative about a legend managing us and bringing through youth needs to stop. Nobody cares about our youth or ex-legend coach, only us as fans. People, especially the media, only care where we are in the league and what we are winning.

Edited by enigma

He's made a mess of it since Kante came back from injury.

I literally think Lampard "forcing" him into the team again have thrown a wrench into what worked so well when Jorginho and Kovacic were the best duo in the league. Kante has looked poor since he came back too and it's messed up the team. That's what i believe here.

He also needs to bench Mount. He's not been good enough for months now.

3 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I literally think Lampard "forcing" him into the team again have thrown a wrench into what worked so well when Jorginho and Kovacic were the best duo in the league. Kante has looked poor since he came back too and it's messed up the team. That's what i believe here.

Cant remember the last time he had a good game yet he continues to pick him.

Just now, Sindre said:

To be honest, we haven't looked assured or good enough since the loss to Man Utd in the cup. We were fortunate vs Ajax that they went down to 9 men, otherwise we would have also be out of the CL this season. We were being thouroughly taken apart by Ajax until that point. After that an expected win vs Villa and then played dreadful since. Against Valencia we were poor, then against a poor City side we played well and lost, but it's not been good performances by us for many weeks now. 

Lamps has been very guarded all season. A while back, when we were doing well (seems ages ago TBH) he kept saying he's not getting carried away as he knew there would be set-backs along the way. I think we were lucky that things just clicked and we had that good run but just as easily as things clicked, now they are going wrong. Losing games we really shouldn't be losing and playing poorly is a concern, even though it was always likely to happen. 

Now down to Lamps and Jody to arrest the slide in form & results and turn things around and activity in the transfer window is a MUST but any players bought in will really need to hit the ground running.

3 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

Kante was excellent VS Valencia though.

Kante seems to be performing well against European sides and top English sides, but he is struggling against the more physical teams in the league. I'm not sure if the injury has made him slower and weaker, but this is not the same Kante we have become used to.

2 minutes ago, enigma said:

Jury is out on Lampard for me. I am not sure he's good enough to be coaching at this level, at least not yet. I always felt he should have stayed for at least another season in the Championship to ply his trade. If we are serious about challenging for big trophies, the whole fairytale narrative about a legend managing us and bringing through youth needs to stop. Nobody cares about our youth or ex-legend coach, only us as fans. People, especially the media, only care where we are in the league and what we are winning.

Why would we care about "people, especially the media"? Of course we're the only ones excited about a legend coach and our youth, did you think we would instigate a love-in of Scouserish levels?

Anyway, with an inexperienced manager and a handful of youngsters we were never going to to challenge for those big trophies this season, and probably not next season either. It may have looked so wonderful for a few weeks in September/October, but we see now where we really stand: a lot of work to do, and in need of reinforcements. The job came too early for Lampard, but he's here now and he is learning.

At the start of the season I thought we would finish 6th, I still think that.

2 minutes ago, dan_cfc said:

Love the guy but has to take some blame for recent poor results, strange line ups questionable subs & picking players in poor form constantly (Mount) 

Most of the players are in poor form. I don't think Lampard is doing much wrong tactically, it's the players that are the issue for me.