Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

1 hour ago, coco said:

Let me blow your myth out of the water. Most successful managers have played football professionally. 

It’s only a myth if you flip what I said the wrong way round. Indeed, most successful managers have played football professionally, but an awful lot of professional footballers try their hand at management and a small percentage of those make it to the top, for the obvious reason that spaces are really limited. Come on - you understand what I meant.

53 minutes ago, Dean said:

It’s only a myth if you flip what I said the wrong way round. Indeed, most successful managers have played football professionally, but an awful lot of professional footballers try their hand at management and a small percentage of those make it to the top, for the obvious reason that spaces are really limited. Come on - you understand what I meant.

That has nothing to do with them being players, the 99% of the best managers were players themselves most likely, it's just the nature of the job and it's connections.

33 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Mourinho is maybe one of the rare ones, he wasn't a player for all I know.

He was but he was sh*t. To his credit he realised that so turned his attention to management and it paid off.

Edited by Argo
1 hour ago, Dean said:

Past five CFC players who went on to manage us. 

Hoddle (first manager to take us to an FA cup final in nearly a quarter of a century).

Gullit (first manager to win the FA cup final in over a quarter of a century).

Vialli (Won FA cup, League cup, Uefa cup winners cup, Uefa super cup)

Di Matteo (Won FA cup and Champions League final.)

Lampard ...............................

37 minutes ago, coco said:

Past five CFC players who went on to manage us. 

Hoddle (first manager to take us to an FA cup final in nearly a quarter of a century).

Gullit (first manager to win the FA cup final in over a quarter of a century).

Vialli (Won FA cup, League cup, Uefa cup winners cup, Uefa super cup)

Di Matteo (Won FA cup and Champions League final.)

Lampard ...............................

Seriously? These are good examples of great players that ultimately DIDN’T succeed as managers. Sure, they achieved some success at Chelsea but (bar hoddle), each one was riding a wave - right place, right time - and each one of their management careers turned to dust soon after (Hoddle again the exception maybe). I’m talking about building and coaching a team for sustained success at the top, as surely that’s what the club (never mind me) is aiming for with Lampard. If so, Gullit and Vialli  are hardly the benchmark it has in mind. If Lampard’s managerial career trajectory is to resemble theirs, he’ll be with us a couple of years, win a domestic cup competition, perhaps a lesser European one too, and that’ll be it - career over. Fair to say most fans are aiming higher and would be disappointed with that, no?

James  Rudi  Tomori  Emerson

Unless we sign a cb/lb in Jan I think this should be our defence going forward and Frank should stick with it. Let them get a run of games going together and try build up some solidity. 

James needs to be shown the same trust Klopp showed TAA. Emerson is average but it has to be a back 4 for me. 

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Seriously? These are good examples of great players that ultimately DIDN’T succeed as managers. Sure, they achieved some success at Chelsea but (bar hoddle), each one was riding a wave - right place, right time - and each one of their management careers turned to dust soon after (Hoddle again the exception maybe). I’m talking about building and coaching a team for sustained success at the top, as surely that’s what the club (never mind me) is aiming for with Lampard. If so, Gullit and Vialli  are hardly the benchmark it has in mind. If Lampard’s managerial career trajectory is to resemble theirs, he’ll be with us a couple of years, win a domestic cup competition, perhaps a lesser European one too, and that’ll be it - career over. Fair to say most fans are aiming higher and would be disappointed with that, no?

I guess your'e a new supporter who has little idea how influential those managers really were in our history, each one a stepping stone to greater achievements. Disregarding their achievements just because of their short lived tenures is ridiculous, even Mourinho only lasted 2.5 seasons after back to back titles.

4 hours ago, coco said:

I guess your'e a new supporter who has little idea how influential those managers really were in our history, each one a stepping stone to greater achievements. Disregarding their achievements just because of their short lived tenures is ridiculous, even Mourinho only lasted 2.5 seasons after back to back titles.

Please Coco. I’m 44 years old and have supported Chelsea since I was a child. I’m not disregarding anything and have enormous respect for what all of these men achieved at Chelsea. All I’m saying is: 1) none of them will be remembered as a management ‘great’, 2) i believe the club and fans are looking for more in Lampard than a ‘stepping stone’ and will therefore be disappointed if he doesn’t achieve more than they did.

If you ask me, I’m not necessarily expecting more and I’d be happy if Lampard achieves what they did. But I’m not ‘the club’ and am less ambitions than most. For me, the late 90s/early 00s were the most enjoyable years to be a Chelsea fan (more so than the glory years) and I’ve said so elsewhere on the forum. I’m surprised that some of these managers didn’t achieve more (especially Vialli). That they didn’t further confirms for me just how difficult it is... which was really my main point all along - it’s extremely hard to ‘make it’ as a manager at this level and we should be under no illusions about the task confronting Lampard. Can we stop this now?

5 hours ago, Dean said:

All I’m saying is: 1) none of them will be remembered as a management ‘great’, 2) i believe the club and fans are looking for more in Lampard than a ‘stepping stone’ and will therefore be disappointed if he doesn’t achieve more than they did.

Unless you can point to a few managers that won a lot without being players themselves, your whole view on this player-manager makes no sense. People still remember Gullit, Vialli and Di Matteo at least.

Frankie is one of the smartest people in the league, he has everything he needs to be a great manager, he just needs time like everyone else.

Just now, Gol15 said:

Unless you can point to a few managers that won a lot without being players themselves, your whole view on this player-manager makes no sense. People still remember Gullit, Vialli and Di Matteo at least.

Frankie is one of the smartest people in the league, he has everything he needs to be a great manager, he just needs time like everyone else.

He does have what it takes. But so did Vialli. Point being (not for the first time) that this is super hard. I don’t think you’ve understood what I’m saying.

Just now, Dean said:

He does have what it takes. But so did Vialli. Point being (not for the first time) that this is super hard. I don’t think you’ve understood what I’m saying.

Your point is that Frankie may fail. But that has nothing to do with him being a former player. It's just the way it is.

26 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

You made this post 1 hour ago, and already it's not aging well.

I am very happy but it is funny how one goalkeeper error changes the whole narrative of the match for people lol. We still f**ked up against sh*tty Everton & Southampton and we were an absolute dross in the first half. We won because of Jorginho and not because of Lamps.

5 minutes ago, ZaynChelsea said:

I am very happy but it is funny how one goalkeeper error changes the whole narrative of the match for people lol. We still f**ked up against sh*tty Everton & Southampton and we were an absolute dross in the first half. We won because of Jorginho and not because of Lamps.

And who subbed in Jorginho and Lamptey and CHO?   I think your posts are very shortsighted and show a total lack of understanding of football, Zayn.

Edited by Phillip