Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

We all knew it was going to be that kind of season, ups and downs, lack of consistency, young inexperienced manager who has to rely on young players with little experience much more than he would have liked under normal circumstances.

We sold our best player, whose individual brilliance bailed us out in the past and belied our squad defficiencies for a number of years. Hazard was good for about 25-30% of our wins in the past, even when he didn't score or create a goal scoring chances, his presence alone made things easier for the rest of the team because he was double or triple teamed on most occasions, which gave more space/freedom to operate for other players.

Our transfer business over the last few years has been largely poor. Drinkwater, Morata, Batshuayi, Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Emerson etc were terrible deals and weakened the team instead of upgrading it. Truth be told, Lamps inherited an unbalanced squad that needed serious improvement.

Transfer ban was a blessing in disguise for our youngsters who probably wouldn't have got an opportunity to showcase their talents otherwise but not being able to sign new players in the summer made a difficult task even more complicated. Give him two transfer windows and money to spend and a year from now we'll have a much clearer idea of whether Lamps has what it takes to take the club forward.

That's not to say he should just get a free ride in the meantime. Frank is an intelligent man and he's been around long enough to know that he's been watched and tested since the moment he took over. He has to show he's a fast learner and that he commands respect within the squad and can change things around when the going gets tough. He's not going to get special treatment due to his club legend status once he gets the players he wants and has had enough time to build a team of his own. I just hope the club are patient enough to give him time and resources to prove his worth.

Edited by abramovich

15 minutes ago, Wearyourblue said:

Mount isn't ready for his role. I'm all for seeing him less. Think we'd be better off as a team seeing Pedro more, but it seems that ship has sailed. Starting to get sick of Willian throwing a fit when Abraham shoots and doesn't score.

Sarri didn't really rate Christensen or Giroud, so I don't think that's an issue.

I don't think it's fair to say if he was reluctant or not to use youth after 1 year. His priority last year was getting a system down. He integrated CHO and RLC into it.

I do think it's fair to question if Abraham would have gotten the chance. But I still argue take last years team, and swap Pulisici/Abraham for Hazard/Morata, and we are better this year with Pulisic/Abraham.

While Sarri was criticized for being stubborn, I see Frank being stubborn about the Willian / Mount combo - and it's obvious the work poorly in Franks system against bottom half teams, Mount offers nothing against bottom table teams. His technique is poor and his vision is poor, he does well pressing against teams better than us.

Who else is there though? What else can Lampard do, first half team is the strongest team we have. Others apart from Kovacic have being poor. Once we add one or two quality players I have no doubt that we will be making the Champions League. Spurs have an excellent squad but are not doing well, Man utd will be inconsistent too so I think we have an excellent opportunity for 4th.

I dont think Frank is being stubborn about Willian, atm Willian is our most consistent and best attacking player. In a Chelsea team trying to break teams down though it shows how much we miss Hazard and how poor we are going forward when Willian is your best player. I really like Mount and his only going to get better, what is Frank meant to do? Play Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho and have 7 defensive players on the pitch? I think that's being negative from the start.

Anyway I'm enjoying this season, if Frank gets top 4 then I think that's a big achievement. Sarri would be playing Pedro and Giroud and I dont think we would have the same amount of points. 

2 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

In truth its pretty much everywhere though nowadays. Watford seem to have a manager each month. This constant changing is ridiculous in a system where there are still transfers for big money, so we constantly end up left with players from previous regimes that cannot be used or moved on.

To some extent yes but some of our fanbase really take the preverbial biscuit. Any other general fanbase in the UK would be a lot more understanding of the inevitable inconsistency's had they been in a similar predicament to us.

49 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

I dont think Frank is being stubborn about Willian, atm Willian is our most consistent and best attacking player. In a Chelsea team trying to break teams down though it shows how much we miss Hazard and how poor we are going forward when Willian is your best player. I really like Mount and his only going to get better, what is Frank meant to do? Play Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho and have 7 defensive players on the pitch? I think that's being negative from the start.

Anyway I'm enjoying this season, if Frank gets top 4 then I think that's a big achievement. Sarri would be playing Pedro and Giroud and I dont think we would have the same amount of points. 

Yeah I've been impressed with Willian also. 

2 hours ago, Wearyourblue said:

Frank's got a serious weakness, and that's obvious, at this point in the year I think we'd have 10 points more with Sarri - Sarri was great against bottom half table teams. Frank's 4-2-3-1 with Mount in the middle is terrible against lower half teams, Mount plays with fire in his belly but no technique, he just doesn't open things up. Willian has always struggled to against lower sides as he needs room to run... but Frank constantly starts both together in tighter to allow overlapping backs. This doesn't suit either.

Hazard saved Sarri multiple times last season. I struggle to see how you have come to the conclusion that we would be better with Sarri when he doesn't have Hazard to rely on. If Lampard had Hazard, we would probably have 4th placed sealed by now.

Edited by Scott Harris
1 hour ago, Wearyourblue said:

While Sarri was criticized for being stubborn, I see Frank being stubborn about the Willian / Mount combo - and it's obvious the work poorly in Franks system against bottom half teams, Mount offers nothing against bottom table teams. His technique is poor and his vision is poor, he does well pressing against teams better than us.

This is a very fair assessment. 

It has been proven on multiple occasions that Chelsea just can't break down opposing defenses when they decided to put 10 players behind the ball, with Mount leading the midfield trio yet Lamp keep going at it the same repeatedly.

Next time Chelsea face a bottom half team, I like to see Pulisic leading the attack at least just for 45 minutes and see if he can do better than Mount in that role and breaking down defenses.

You can put Mount or CHO on the wing to replace Pulisic.

7 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

Serie A is a one team league. 

Juve has been winning it 8 straight years, they're probably going to win it again this year.

I think Inter might, saw Lukaku score a couple of crackers against Genoa, like he was before he went to Utd and Conte does build strong sides quickly.

3 hours ago, Wearyourblue said:

Frank's got a serious weakness, and that's obvious, at this point in the year I think we'd have 10 points more with Sarri - Sarri was great against bottom half table teams. Frank's 4-2-3-1 with Mount in the middle is terrible against lower half teams, Mount plays with fire in his belly but no technique, he just doesn't open things up. Willian has always struggled to against lower sides as he needs room to run... but Frank constantly starts both together in tighter to allow overlapping backs. This doesn't suit either.

And who do you think was getting us those points and carving lower opposition up? We DO NOT have HAZARD anymore. Why is this going over people's heads? 

Without Hazard and this current team with Sarri incharge we would be  a good ways off 4th and more towards the lower half of the table. This is why I feel we should have forced Sarri to see out another year. Without Haz and no transfer window he'd have shown us just how bad we actually are and we wouldn't get ridiculous posts like this anymore. ATM we're  punching way above our weight. 

Edited by Sing the Blues
8 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Just seen our fixtures in February after Newcastle game - Arsenal (H), Leicester (A), United (H), Spurs (H). Massive few games which could define whether we get top 4 or not. 

Considering Chelsea's current home records, I'd be afraid to look forward to those games.

6 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

The difference is that Lampard doesn't have the same quality and choices that previous managers had, that is why people are going to give him a chance. They all had Hazard and transfer windows to buy players that suit their tactics, Lampard doesn't have that and we are still competing for 4th. Put Sarri, Conte and Mourinho in Lampard's position right now and we wouldn't even be competing for 4th. Sarri only got 4th because of Hazard and the rest of the teams around us f**king up. Conte would have bitched and whined because he can't make any signings. And we all seen what happened to Mourinho in his last season with us and without Hazard performing well.

If Lampard had all of the luxuries they had, then I think we would have had 4th sealed this season.

I'll agree that not having Hazard is enormous. Sarri could make mistakes and Hazard would correct them. Frank hasn't been so lucky.

Doesn't mean our approach is any better however. He really needs to straighten out our work without the ball. Thank the good lord the teams below us continue to stuff up.

Last 4 matches we have collected 7 points, scored 5 goals and conceded 4 goals. Won away at Tottenham and Arsenal and lost to Southampton and drew Brighton. Like a snapshot of our season. Up, down, up, down and lose points to where you need to win points.

We should accept this from a young squad with first year manager.

So we are playing a young team with a number of players in key positions experiencing there 1st season in top flight football, it is absolutely no surprise we are hugely inconsistent. We could have any manager in the world managing us and I wouldn't expect anything different, Klopp struggled with an experienced Liverpool side when he came in and in comparison what Lampard is achieving is nothing short of a miracle especially considering we've lost Hazard, Kante and Rudiger have missed a large part of the season so far and RLC hasn't even seen the training pitch yet. 

After the first 2 games of the season, I bet 95% of us would take a 4th spot comes 1/1/2020. Mistakes have been made, lessons have learnt, but progress is there and Lampard has met the expectation . We can't judge a manager until he had a couple of transfer windows to work with, and Lampard hasn't had that opportunity yet.

"I don't follow football outside the EPL and would be interested tt know how Sarri is faring at the Old Lady, are they taking to his methods?" It's funny he plays more of a 4-3-1-2 there - Their best line up is Ronaldo paired with Higuain and Dybala playing under them.

"Who else is there though? What else can Lampard do, first half team is the strongest team we have."
4-3-3 ; Pulisic - Abraham - Mount/Willian, Kovacic - Jorginho - Kante.

"I dont think Frank is being stubborn about Willian, atm Willian is our most consistent and best attacking player."
Willian has 4 goals in 15 premier league starts, 1 of which was taking a penalty (Jorginho is fine there), Pulisic has 5 in 11 starts.

"Hazard saved Sarri multiple times last season. I struggle to see how you have come to the conclusion that we would be better with Sarri when he doesn't have Hazard to rely on." Hazard had the best season of his career under Sarri last year, give Sarri credit for opening up the field for Eden, which is what need s to be done more for Pulisic and Abraham. He also had Morata leading the line, and Abraham has shown true quality.

"Last 4 matches we have collected 7 points, scored 5 goals and conceded 4 goals. Won away at Tottenham and Arsenal and lost to Southampton and drew Brighton." That's because Frank is turning us by personal into a team frontal attack is best suited for counter attacking, Mount and Willian don't function in tight games.

"After the first 2 games of the season, I bet 95% of us would take a 4th spot comes 1/1/2020. Mistakes have been made, lessons have learnt, but progress is there and Lampard has met the expectation ." It's easy to say sure we'll take the 4th spot.... but. We're basically what ManU was under Mourinho last year. 6. Manchester United 20, +9, 35. We aren't 4th because we've done well, we're 4th because the point total required to be 4th this year is really low. We were +22 in GD at this time right now we are shockingly only +7.

12 hours ago, Wearyourblue said:

Mount isn't ready for his role. I'm all for seeing him less. Think we'd be better off as a team seeing Pedro more, but it seems that ship has sailed. Starting to get sick of Willian throwing a fit when Abraham shoots and doesn't score.

Sarri didn't really rate Christensen or Giroud, so I don't think that's an issue.

I don't think it's fair to say if he was reluctant or not to use youth after 1 year. His priority last year was getting a system down. He integrated CHO and RLC into it.

I do think it's fair to question if Abraham would have gotten the chance. But I still argue take last years team, and swap Pulisici/Abraham for Hazard/Morata, and we are better this year with Pulisic/Abraham.

To break your post down you make 4 arguments - 

1) Mount is not good enough  - I still dont understand he is one player who links the forwards with our deep lying midfield.. is usually calm under pressure.. i think yesterday the Ref was poor he hardly gave us anything in their half there were umpteen times when there should have been fouls given for us... if anything it were the other 3 in attack who made poor decisions.. i dont condone it but maybe TA and mount are to eager and a bit of rolling around if it gets you a foul should be encouraged.. There was a moment in the second half where dunk literally elbowed TA in the back and the ref ignored it.. Even Drogba the beast realised this and let the refs know when he was fouled...

2) Pulisic/Abraham is better than Morata/Hazard - Any team that has Hazard in it carries more threat .. besides Sarri had the option of calling back TA but he never did.. so i dont buy the above atall.. 

3) Sarri would have gotten more points and was better against bottom half..  - Record for Sarri against teams outside top 6 -  total of 18 wins from 28 with 11 of them coming before December.. infact in his last 5 matches where we were trying to give his all we won a grand total of 6 from 10. the point is there is no basis to say Sarri was good against the bottom half... on paper he had a better team and two transfer windows and his wealth of experience and a certain Eden Hazard..

4) SFL being stubborn with WIllian /Mount  - we really dont have any other option currently... Pedro's legs are completely gone we saw that against Southampton when he started.. Willian has been our best player this season.. and CHO hasnt done enough to play over Mount.. 

The bottom line with this team is we are not yet good enough.. we are at best a top 6 team and the results are showing.. we dont have a LB and then we dont have quality of the bench to change games that often.. There were a zillion times in the last decade and a half where we would be trailing only to turn things around in the second half.. problem with this team is simply there isnt enough quality.

Edited by Jangz
15 hours ago, abister1 said:

Just a mediocre manager which all you needed to make the conclusion was a look at his record as Derby manager. Nothing special and the team to concede the most goals from dominant positions in a game. A lot of hot air blown to match his supposed intelligence and just the right amount of complementary arrogance as demonstrated with his Bielsa farce. 

The only factual inference in your post is way off the mark.. even Derby fans thought he did a great job... as for his tactical nous and managerial capability its a bit early to judge.. but i am going to mark this post and talk about it at the end of the season..

8 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

I'll agree that not having Hazard is enormous. Sarri could make mistakes and Hazard would correct them. Frank hasn't been so lucky.

Doesn't mean our approach is any better however. He really needs to straighten out our work without the ball. Thank the good lord the teams below us continue to stuff up.

some of it is also down to players making the wrong decisions.. Now to highlight there is a moment in the second half where Rudi is trying to play offside and steps up.. and since he is the player on the outside there has to be a shout to Zouma or Zouma needs to pick it up.. But instead Zouma tries to cover the run.. giving the second striker a free run playing him on... thank lord for Reece's covering run which saved our blushes...

This particular play sums it up for me... you cant coach that.. one of the two needs to try to link up... you can put it down to player quality / not playing together enough.. etc..but the fact is these are the kinds of errors that are costing us.. 

13 hours ago, Slojo said:

TalkChelsea is awful, I bet they're already screaming Lampard Out. 

14 hours ago, Argo said:

Scary thing is this is probably the most relaxed platform. Other places I've read things like Lampard is looking clueless across the board. Like outplaying Ajax, that performance Vs Watford, outsmarting Mourinho and going toe to toe with City and Liverpool (forcing the latter to play park the bus for a whole half) never happened.

i have been a member at CFCnet for over a decade.. most opnions are moderated and no calling for heads over there.. Must be the twitter junkies then!

I do agree that Hazard helped a lot last season,  but this season we have a striker who has scored 12 goals + 3 assists in 20 apps. Not sure Hazard had gotten those numbers at the same point last season. Add to that, Willian, Kante, Kovacic, Pulisic have been adding goals,  I don't see much difference to last season when we relied on Hazard to score most goals (this season it's Abraham) and with Higuain, Giroud chipping in (like Pulisic, Kova, Kante and Willian this season).

If you look at City or Liverpool,  they have a good number of players who can score goals, such as KDB, Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Silva. Liverpool have their front three too. We don't have that kind of strength in depth, at least when it comes to goal scorers. In my opinion, we could definitely use a goal scoring CM, as currently our midfield is kind of lacking goal threats from outside the box. 

2 hours ago, Jangz said:

3) Sarri would have gotten more points and was better against bottom half..  - Record for Sarri against teams outside top 6 -  total of 18 wins from 28 with 11 of them coming before December.. infact in his last 5 matches where we were trying to give his all we won a grand total of 6 from 10. the point is there is no basis to say Sarri was good against the bottom half... on paper he had a better team and two transfer windows and his wealth of experience and a certain Eden Hazard..

Pretty sure the bottom half is bottom 10 teams, not the "outside top 6". In my memory we won all but one or two games against the bottom half. Maybe I am wrong?

Edit - looked it up. Last season we dropped 7 points out of 60 against the bottom 10. This season we have dropped 14 points against the bottom 10 teams. We have slowly forgotten how to break teams down. I worry that is something we won't get back under Lampard. He needs time, at least 2 seasons and 2 transfer windows, but the team behind him need to start working out how to beat teams who sit back.

Edited by bisright1

Good to see we scored from a corner at Brighton as I think we need to score a few more messy goals like that from the corners we win with our wing play. This might be especially useful with the bottom six when they come to visit SB. Liked Azpi reading the gameplay to be in the right position to bury it.

A wise man once said;

“Never change a winning team”

If Lampard took that to heart, I fully believe we would be out of sight for Tottenham and ManUtd by now. Instead we are limping ourselves right now and I do think Lampard have shot himself in the foot in many ways over the last couple of months.

We had something that worked extremely well going with Jorginho and Kovacic anchoring the midfield between them. They had great chemistry, kept possession, controlled games and we were winning. Then Kante comes back and Lampard decides to break up the duo to shoehorn N’golo into the side. And since that decision was made, we have struggled.

If you want to play possession-style football you want possession-style players in your team. The two beforementioned very much are, the latter not so much. And we suffer because of it. I am not going to go in-depth into why Kante shouldn’t be starting in the pivot but let’s just say that the results should be enough of an indication of who should be playing there.

Both Jorginho and Kovacic were clear candidates for POTS before Lampard started tinkering with the midfield. Especially Kovacic have been far better then Kante in every aspect of the game this season, defensively and offensively.

So let’s just hope Lampard gets it and goes back to our winning team.