Jump to content

Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, abramovich said:

We all knew it was going to be that kind of season, ups and downs, lack of consistency, young inexperienced manager who has to rely on young players with little experience much more than he would have liked under normal circumstances.

We sold our best player, whose individual brilliance bailed us out in the past and belied our squad defficiencies for a number of years. Hazard was good for about 25-30% of our wins in the past, even when he didn't score or create a goal scoring chances, his presence alone made things easier for the rest of the team because he was double or triple teamed on most occasions, which gave more space/freedom to operate for other players.

Our transfer business over the last few years has been largely poor. Drinkwater, Morata, Batshuayi, Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Emerson etc were terrible deals and weakened the team instead of upgrading it. Truth be told, Lamps inherited an unbalanced squad that needed serious improvement.

Transfer ban was a blessing in disguise for our youngsters who probably wouldn't have got an opportunity to showcase their talents otherwise but not being able to sign new players in the summer made a difficult task even more complicated. Give him two transfer windows and money to spend and a year from now we'll have a much clearer idea of whether Lamps has what it takes to take the club forward.

That's not to say he should just get a free ride in the meantime. Frank is an intelligent man and he's been around long enough to know that he's been watched and tested since the moment he took over. He has to show he's a fast learner and that he commands respect within the squad and can change things around when the going gets tough. He's not going to get special treatment due to his club legend status once he gets the players he wants and has had enough time to build a team of his own. I just hope the club are patient enough to give him time and resources to prove his worth.

Couldn't have put it any better!

It was unfortunate the squad he received, but to judge him based on this current squad and bringing in youth is unfair. Like you said, give him another year with a couple windows to see who he brings in and gets rid of, and then judge him based on how he performs with the players he wants.

In my eyes, based on what im hearing, hes already looking to make better signings and already disposed of a lot of deadwood in the summer, and I think the trend will carry on this month and the coming summer as well

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly Lampard seemed to be very impressed with Kante's performance... Meaning he's not going to get dropped anytime soon. We're going to keep messing about with the midfield in hope something eventually clicks with Kante. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Pretty sure the bottom half is bottom 10 teams, not the "outside top 6". In my memory we won all but one or two games against the bottom half. Maybe I am wrong?

 

Edit - looked it up. Last season we dropped 7 points out of 60 against the bottom 10. This season we have dropped 14 points against the bottom 10 teams. We have slowly forgotten how to break teams down. I worry that is something we won't get back under Lampard. He needs time, at least 2 seasons and 2 transfer windows, but the team behind him need to start working out how to beat teams who sit back.

This is were having a world class talent like Hazard in the team helps. Not only his brilliance in opening up teams with his skill but frequently he occupied 2/3 defenders opening up space for others. His sheer presence on the pitch helped in defeating some teams before a ball has been kicked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, charierre said:

This is were having a world class talent like Hazard in the team helps. Not only his brilliance in opening up teams with his skill but frequently he occupied 2/3 defenders opening up space for others. His sheer presence on the pitch helped in defeating some teams before a ball has been kicked.

Yeah that helps, but it's not the only reason. I think Frank needs to learn how to set up his teams to win these games, he has made mistakes - shoehorning Kante in is an example of this - and failing all season to address our weakness at set pieces (Sarri did a good job at this, it's why Alonso played more than Emerson).

It's not an easy task, only a handful of managers in world football can build teams who beat the weaker teams home and away, Sarri is one of them. Frank isn't yet that manager, no reason why he can't become that with the right backing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, abister1 said:

Just a mediocre manager which all you needed to make the conclusion was a look at his record as Derby manager. Nothing special and the team to concede the most goals from dominant positions in a game. A lot of hot air blown to match his supposed intelligence and just the right amount of complementary arrogance as demonstrated with his Bielsa farce. 

Can you please write that again in your native language?

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, charierre said:

This is were having a world class talent like Hazard in the team helps. Not only his brilliance in opening up teams with his skill but frequently he occupied 2/3 defenders opening up space for others. His sheer presence on the pitch helped in defeating some teams before a ball has been kicked.

Also with we now have all of our senior players a year older, three of our best players with longterm injuries, and unproven youngsters to fill the void. 

How are people forgetting all of this? Losing Hazard was HUGE in itself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Yeah that helps, but it's not the only reason. I think Frank needs to learn how to set up his teams to win these games, he has made mistakes - shoehorning Kante in is an example of this - and failing all season to address our weakness at set pieces (Sarri did a good job at this, it's why Alonso played more than Emerson).

It's not an easy task, only a handful of managers in world football can build teams who beat the weaker teams home and away, Sarri is one of them. Frank isn't yet that manager, no reason why he can't become that with the right backing.

Do you honestly think Sarri would have done better this season without Hazard? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Yeah that helps, but it's not the only reason. I think Frank needs to learn how to set up his teams to win these games, he has made mistakes - shoehorning Kante in is an example of this - and failing all season to address our weakness at set pieces (Sarri did a good job at this, it's why Alonso played more than Emerson).

It's not an easy task, only a handful of managers in world football can build teams who beat the weaker teams home and away, Sarri is one of them. Frank isn't yet that manager, no reason why he can't become that with the right backing.

Sarri also had his problems, lets not revise things, all Sarri knew was a 4-3-3, he persisted playing with Jorginho when he was getting marked out of the game time and time again, we were getting thumped by the likes of Arsenal and City badly because of this and another set of embarrassing results. 

And he's losing the Serie A with a Juventus side that have won it for the last 8 seasons in a row. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, charierre said:

Do you honestly think Sarri would have done better this season without Hazard? 

Sarri would enver have made the changes Lampard made in the Spurs and Arsenal games. He knew only one strategy and one way of playing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its funny with the meltdown with some people in here yet we are still +1 point better off from yesterdays results and still in champions league. Lampard needs time and support just like Klopp had with Liverpool and Guardiola with Man city, remember Conte with an inferior team beat him in his first season to the title but man city stood by him.

Here we have a young manager, our legend, guiding us to fourth with a team of 5 or 6 young players playing regularly, a team that is missing Hazard, Diego Costa etc past leaders of this team. Turned Jorginho and Kovacic into world class, players that we ALL wanted to get rid off during summer. 

All this achieved without adding any players from the transfer market. Of course we will have ups and downs, did you guys think it was going to be that easy. A new beginning is always difficult but I have no doubt that Lampard is the man to carry us forward for the foreseeable. Imagine us adding Sancho, Chillwell and 1 or 2 more players, we would be a different beast all together. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No one is happy when we are losing games and dropping points to poor sides, and maybe lampard will never be a great manager, but its still very early days. 

Its been clear for the last 2 seasons that some of the players we have are not good enough to push us beyond a battle for 4th place. 

The academy boys have come in and done well on the whole, but none are yet the finished article, and all really need to improve their decision making and composure. 

We find ourselves in a very good position all things considered, now hopefully we can bring in 2 or 3 players, to help is kick on this season, consoldate top 4, and then continue trying to build a title challenging side in the summer. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gentian said:

Its funny with the meltdown with some people in here yet we are still +1 point better off from yesterdays results and still in champions league. Lampard needs time and support just like Klopp had with Liverpool and Guardiola with Man city, remember Conte with an inferior team beat him in his first season to the title but man city stood by him.

Here we have a young manager, our legend, guiding us to fourth with a team of 5 or 6 young players playing regularly, a team that is missing Hazard, Diego Costa etc past leaders of this team. Turned Jorginho and Kovacic into world class, players that we ALL wanted to get rid off during summer. 

All this achieved without adding any players from the transfer market. Of course we will have ups and downs, did you guys think it was going to be that easy. A new beginning is always difficult but I have no doubt that Lampard is the man to carry us forward for the foreseeable. Imagine us adding Sancho, Chillwell and 1 or 2 more players, we would be a different beast all together. 

World class gets branded around too easy, Jorginho and Kovacic are not world class. KDB is world class, Messi is world class, Van Dijk is world class, world class is the elite players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slojo said:

Sarri also had his problems, lets not revise things, all Sarri knew was a 4-3-3, he persisted playing with Jorginho when he was getting marked out of the game time and time again, we were getting thumped by the likes of Arsenal and City badly because of this and another set of embarrassing results. 

And he's losing the Serie A with a Juventus side that have won it for the last 8 seasons in a row. 

That Juventus squad is ridicolous, just need to look at the bench. Juventus should win Serie A comfortably.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, charierre said:

Do you honestly think Sarri would have done better this season without Hazard? 

No chance, one of the best players in europe leaving and and like @Slojo said we have had Kante, Rudiger and RLC all injured and out for big parts of the season. Also Kovacic is a better player under lampard and I cant see Sarri getting the same reaction from the current group of young players.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Slojo said:

Sarri also had his problems, lets not revise things, all Sarri knew was a 4-3-3, he persisted playing with Jorginho when he was getting marked out of the game time and time again, we were getting thumped by the likes of Arsenal and City badly because of this and another set of embarrassing results. 

And he's losing the Serie A with a Juventus side that have won it for the last 8 seasons in a row. 

Losing serie a? They've lost one game and drawn 3. They've improved from last season where they lost 4 and drew 6. They are level with inter.

Yes Sarri had his problems. My theory was that these problems were caused by someone implementing a complete shift in mentality through the squad and wanted to embed that set of ideas. I believe he'd have improved us this season even without hazard. We never will know which for me is a tragedy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

No chance, one of the best players in europe leaving and and like @Slojo said we have had Kante, Rudiger and RLC all injured and out for big parts of the season. Also Kovacic is a better player under lampard and I cant see Sarri getting the same reaction from the current group of young players.

Better than lampard? Who with kante and rudiger back, and a new signing in Pulisic and Abraham, has turned us into a team that can't score against teams in the relegation zone. Let's be real, no one thinks sarri would have had us winning the league, but no one should think hazard leaving is the sole reason why we lose to Bournemouth, Southampton, West Ham and draw with Brighton. 

 

I say this purely because lampard isn't showing he is world class. He shouldn't, he doesn't have the experience. He needs time and patience. But sarri IS a world class manager, he has the experience and the knowledge. 

Edited by bisright1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

 

 

I say this purely because lampard isn't showing he is world class. He shouldn't, he doesn't have the experience. He needs time and patience. But sarri IS a world class manager, he has the experience and the knowledge. 

And yet majority of Chelsea fans are happy with the change, and so far happy with the league position and entertainment value. What more could you ask for with zero transfers inbound?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Better than lampard? Who with kante and rudiger back, and a new signing in Pulisic and Abraham, has turned us into a team that can't score against teams in the relegation zone. Let's be real, no one thinks sarri would have had us winning the league, but no one should think hazard leaving is the sole reason why we lose to Bournemouth, Southampton, West Ham and draw with Brighton. 

 

I say this purely because lampard isn't showing he is world class. He shouldn't, he doesn't have the experience. He needs time and patience. But sarri IS a world class manager, he has the experience and the knowledge. 

Sarri is world class, are you having a laugh Haha. I would rather have Ancelotti back than Sarri and I dont even regard Ancelotti world class anymore with all the trophies he has won. You mean Kante who was injured until November and Rudiger who came back against Lille in December, what do you mean back? A new signing in Abraham who is banging them in, do I feel confident he would do the same under Sarri? Nope. Young players need someone who they can look upto to, someone with good man management and speaks English.

I think Sarri would be going mad with a squad which has Tomori, Mount, Zouma, CHO, Reece James, Pedro and Giroud a year older and the rest. His smoking would be at an all time high.

Link to post
Share on other sites
And yet majority of Chelsea fans are happy with the change, and so far happy with the league position and entertainment value. What more could you ask for with zero transfers inbound?
Sarri isn't a world class manager. He has won one semi major trophy his whole managerial career and that was managing a team which has higher expectation than the Europa League. Yes you can point to the fact he hasn't been managing a top side till recently but the simple facts are that his cv does not currently warrant a world class status. If he wins a few major trophies with Juve then he may have a claim. But just now he hasn't.

World class is banded about ridiculously for managers and players. People are calling Jorginho and Kovacic world class players! On the basis of what? A panini sticker album? OK Kovacic has titles and champions leagues on his cv, but mainly as a part time contributor.

We have just one player on our squad who can geuinely claim to be world class. That little lad from Different Strokes.
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, loz said:

Sarri isn't a world class manager. He has won one semi major trophy his whole managerial career and that was managing a team which has higher expectation than the Europa League. Yes you can point to the fact he hasn't been managing a top side till recently but the simple facts are that his cv does not currently warrant a world class status. If he wins a few major trophies with Juve then he may have a claim. But just now he hasn't.

World class is banded about ridiculously for managers and players. People are calling Jorginho and Kovacic world class players! On the basis of what? A panini sticker album? OK Kovacic has titles and champions leagues on his cv, but mainly as a part time contributor.

We have just one player on our squad who can geuinely claim to be world class. That little lad from Different Strokes.

As a club in general we have higher aims, however the team we had last season we done about as good as realistically can be expected. 

Regarding Kovacic, it's probably too early to call him world class full stop I'd agree, but his form this season has very much been at a world class level and he's been our best player by an absolute mile.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Slojo said:

Sadly Lampard seemed to be very impressed with Kante's performance... Meaning he's not going to get dropped anytime soon. 

It's worrying me a bit, probably the only serious gripe I have with Lampard at the minute.

Kante has been world class for us but at this moment on merit he shouldn't be an untouchable this season, I hope we don't have a United/Rooney situation in the coming years of us making a player untouchable because of how good he was in his absolute peak.

This is the one thing I thought I'd never have to worry about with Frank, he's was very vocal in the past about how much he disagreed with Sven shoehorning the names in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

Losing serie a? They've lost one game and drawn 3. They've improved from last season where they lost 4 and drew 6. They are level with inter.

Yes Sarri had his problems. My theory was that these problems were caused by someone implementing a complete shift in mentality through the squad and wanted to embed that set of ideas. I believe he'd have improved us this season even without hazard. We never will know which for me is a tragedy. 

It's halfway through the season and their level on points, are you seriously telling me that's good for their standard? They walk the league every year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Argo said:

It's worrying me a bit, probably the only serious gripe I have with Lampard at the minute.

Kante has been world class for us but at this moment on merit he shouldn't be an untouchable this season, I hope we don't have a United/Rooney situation in the coming years of us making a player untouchable because of how good he was in his absolute peak.

This is the one thing I thought I'd never have to worry about with Frank, he's was very vocal in the past about how much he disagreed with Sven shoehorning the names in.

I like the point you brought up the other day about what Lampard said and picking players on reputation, it appears to be something he's doing now. He surely has to see that Kante has been ineffective against the smaller sides, and we are playing nowhere near to the ability that we were before the international break. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Slojo said:

It's halfway through the season and their level on points, are you seriously telling me that's good for their standard? They walk the league every year. 

Juventus after 17 games in 2018/19 had won 16 and drawn 1. 

This year they are won 13 drawn 3 and lost 1

Conclusion: slightly worse under Sarri, and also with better competition from Conte's Inter than Juve had the year before from Ancelotti's Napoli

Juve went to the beach a bit early last season, as you can see from how the results tailed off after they'd clinched the title after round 33.

 

image.png.9b74986c345f99c58ec325a7791b8260.png

 

 

 

Edited by Sexyfootball
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...