Jump to content

Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ducavis said:

Loan players in the interim. Off my head players like Cavani, Isco, Mariano, Rodriquez are not getting games and may be convinced to go out on loan.

Signing any of them on a 4 month loan would be a huge mistake. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Signing strikers on the back end of their career on loan? Sounds awfully familiar, I swear we've done it 3 times now and 3 times it has been dreadful. 

Also, what's the point in appealing the transfer ban if we aren't going to sign anybody in this window? If we are playing a right back in the left back position because we don't think our two left backs are adequate, why aren't we already locked on to an alternative? I'm not asking the club to go out and get Jadon Sancho, but we need to get at least one player in surely, by the looks of it it looks like we aren't interested in signing anyone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dkw said:

Signing any of them on a 4 month loan would be a huge mistake. 

Why though? We lack creativity and someone to finish chances. If it fails we take the hit and they go back to their clubs in May. I just don’t feel we have enough to see us over the line and there are 3-4 teams lurking around that 4th position.

If we drop points against Arsenal, I fully expect us to do something silly like paying £80m for Zaha & £45m for Dembele which sounds crazier than my alternative.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slojo said:

Signing strikers on the back end of their career on loan? Sounds awfully familiar, I swear we've done it 3 times now and 3 times it has been dreadful. 

In fairness a striker at the level of what Higuain/Eto'o brought would be a decent alternative to Tammy.

1 hour ago, Slojo said:

Also, what's the point in appealing the transfer ban if we aren't going to sign anybody in this window? If we are playing a right back in the left back position because we don't think our two left backs are adequate, why aren't we already locked on to an alternative? I'm not asking the club to go out and get Jadon Sancho, but we need to get at least one player in surely, by the looks of it it looks like we aren't interested in signing anyone. 

So there's the option there if need be, we shouldn't panic buy a player just because we can. Seems Lampard is doing the Klopp thing of waiting until the right player comes along and to hell with the short term hit, which is the right thing to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Modern football at the highest level, though, as Liverpool and Manchester City make clear every time they play, is about structured gambits. Attacking, just as much as defending, is about organisation, about players knowing where to move so that when the chance comes, the play is semi-automatic and too rapid even for packed rearguards to repel. A year on, there has been no sign of Solskjær coming close to achieving that."

 

The above is a key paragraph from an article in one of the broadsheets about Solskjaer. It sums up perfectly what I think when I watch us play. Obviously Lampard deserves time, just as Pep and Klopp got, but for my money our problems breaking teams down are less to do with personnel and more to do with coaching.

 

Salah, Firminho and Sane is an awesome trio. They owe all their success to Klopp however. He's turned them into elite players, because he's a f**king brilliant manager, who knows how to produce cut-throat attacking sides that go for the jugular and kill you.

 

Sorry for the strange font. Don't know what's going on there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankie said after the game that the squad can't work more on finishing, his biggest complain this season actually is our lack of goals and lack of finishing our chances.

I fully expect a new attacking player in the next 7 days, Frankie is basically admitting that the coaching in order to score goals can't be done better than what it has been...

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gol15 said:

Frankie said after the game that the squad can't work more on finishing, his biggest complain this season actually is our lack of goals and lack of finishing our chances.

I fully expect a new attacking player in the next 7 days, Frankie is basically admitting that the coaching in order to score goals can't be done better than what it has been...

Meaning either the players are not good enough or the coaching is not good enough. Or both. Klopp turned an average 3 in to the most feared attack in Europe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, axman2526 said:

Meaning either the players are not good enough or the coaching is not good enough. Or both. Klopp turned an average 3 in to the most feared attack in Europe.

None of which were mostly kids. Point is he didn't turn anyone that was already there he bought exactly the players he wanted for his tactic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Salah, Firminho and Sane is an awesome trio. They owe all their success to Klopp however. He's turned them into elite players, because he's a f**king brilliant manager, who knows how to produce cut-throat attacking sides that go for the jugular and kill you.

They also have an unreal pair of fullbacks in Robertson and Alexander-Arnold that are absolutely vital for Klopp.

Reece James is the man to move forward with for us at rightback but we are in desperate need of a top attacking leftback. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

"Modern football at the highest level, though, as Liverpool and Manchester City make clear every time they play, is about structured gambits. Attacking, just as much as defending, is about organisation, about players knowing where to move so that when the chance comes, the play is semi-automatic and too rapid even for packed rearguards to repel. A year on, there has been no sign of Solskjær coming close to achieving that."

 

The above is a key paragraph from an article in one of the broadsheets about Solskjaer. It sums up perfectly what I think when I watch us play. Obviously Lampard deserves time, just as Pep and Klopp got, but for my money our problems breaking teams down are less to do with personnel and more to do with coaching.

 

Salah, Firminho and Sane is an awesome trio. They owe all their success to Klopp however. He's turned them into elite players, because he's a f**king brilliant manager, who knows how to produce cut-throat attacking sides that go for the jugular and kill you.

 

Sorry for the strange font. Don't know what's going on there.

I think it is combination of the 2. Great players, great coaching. 

All of klopps front 3 were proven goalscorers and match winners before he signed them.  

salah 40 goals in 80 games in italy

firmino 75 goals in 200 games in Germany 

mane 25 goala 75 games in england

all 3 have good assust numbers aswell.

none of our front 3 options have ever hit double figures in a top flight season before this year. 

Klopp and Guardiola have made already great players into some of the best in europe. 

We are working with largely unproven players, thry might be good enough long term or they might not. 

Is the club in a position where it can afford to wait and find out, even if it means missing out on top 4? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

 

They're vital for him but he's been a hell of a lot more vital for them. That's the bottom line. The manager.

I agree.

But he's also been backed by the club. Lampard will need the same kind of backing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, big blue said:

All of klopps front 3 were proven goalscorers and match winners before he signed them. 

 

Saying they were already great players is rewriting history.

 

Edit: Liverpool weren't what they are now when Klopp arrived. He could only buy realistic targets. He wasn't fighting teams off for their signature.

 

Double edit: They weren't even in the CL.

Edited by Davey Baby
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

 

Saying they were already great players is rewriting history.

 

Edit: Liverpool weren't what they are now when Klopp arrived. He could only buy realistic targets. He wasn't fighting teams off for their signature.

Doesn't change the fact that he wanted those exact players that fit for his tactic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

 

Saying they were already great players is rewriting history.

 

Edit: Liverpool weren't what they are now when Klopp arrived. He could only buy realistic targets. He wasn't fighting teams off for their signature.

 

Double edit: They weren't even in the CL.

All 3 were great players, they might not have been the biggest transfer fees, but it was good scouting to get the players in they could afford at the time. 

edit. also worth pointing out the inflation in the market. 

Hoffenheim sold firmino for £33m, after put up 22g 16a, (better than jovic or sancho has managed. But they sold joelinton for £40m who scored 7 goals last season. What would his price be now? 

How many wingers have a comparible record to salah in italy? What would there price be now? 

Mane had better numbers than zaha, who palace turned down £60m last season. 

Dont be fooled by their price tags, all 3 were great players, at a time when great players were £30m-60m. Great scouting. 

Edited by big blue
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davey Baby said:

"Modern football at the highest level, though, as Liverpool and Manchester City make clear every time they play, is about structured gambits. Attacking, just as much as defending, is about organisation, about players knowing where to move so that when the chance comes, the play is semi-automatic and too rapid even for packed rearguards to repel. A year on, there has been no sign of Solskjær coming close to achieving that."

 

The above is a key paragraph from an article in one of the broadsheets about Solskjaer. It sums up perfectly what I think when I watch us play. Obviously Lampard deserves time, just as Pep and Klopp got, but for my money our problems breaking teams down are less to do with personnel and more to do with coaching.

 

Salah, Firminho and Sane is an awesome trio. They owe all their success to Klopp however. He's turned them into elite players, because he's a f**king brilliant manager, who knows how to produce cut-throat attacking sides that go for the jugular and kill you.

 

Sorry for the strange font. Don't know what's going on there.

I reckon you're right. I said in another thread that the more I watch him he reminds me of his Uncle's style. Give freedom to his players and if they are good enough we'll win. 

Now of course we are an in between team where he hasn't had a real chance to influence the squad yet but I think some of his own inexperience is shining through right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

I reckon you're right. I said in another thread that the more I watch him he reminds me of his Uncle's style. Give freedom to his players and if they are good enough we'll win. 

Now of course we are an in between team where he hasn't had a real chance to influence the squad yet but I think some of his own inexperience is shining through right now. 

 

100% Spiller.

 

Harry was a good coach, the finest English coach for a while, but he was always a win-a-few-lose-a-few sort of coach. He let his players play but so did Fergie, who wasn't too hot on tactics himself, difference is Fergie was a master of psychology, of motivation, of the art of leadership and he had great judgement. He also had that nasty and ruthless streak you often need.

 

I like the fact it isn't too methodical with Frank and he lets his players play, but in the modern game, against the very best, maybe you need a bit more method and a bit more drilling on the training ground, especially if you don't possess the quality of a Fergie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

 

100% Spiller.

 

Harry was a good coach, the finest English coach for a while, but he was always a win-a-few-lose-a-few sort of coach. He let his players play but so did Fergie, who wasn't too hot on tactics himself, difference is Fergie was a master of psychology, of motivation, of the art of leadership and he had great judgement. He also had that nasty and ruthless streak you often need.

 

I like the fact it isn't too methodical with Frank and he lets his players play, but in the modern game, against the very best, maybe you need a bit more method and a bit more drilling on the training ground, especially if you don't possess the quality of a Fergie.

And make no mistake I don't think we're expecting Frank to be Fergie after 18 months as a manager. 

I imagine it has also been an adjustment for many coming from 3 seasons of Italian automations where football is played like chess to more individual judgements. That said, there have been some huge challenges that have dogged us all season:

1. Reliance on Tammy for goals

2. Vulnerability on the counter due to inconsistent pressing and having a footballing equivalent of a tortoise trying to mop up in behind.

3. An inability to deal with defensive set plays.

Some of those issues are squad based, but they have been obvious to anyone who watches us the whole year. I haven't at any stage seen a different approach. I'd like to see that at some stage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

3. An inability to deal with defensive set plays.

 

 

This so far has been the biggest flaw in the Lampard's era, and to be fair it's still a very short era. Can he get better at this? Sure, hopefully he does it quick.

You can no longer keep blaming the players, the big part of this has to be the coaching. I swear Championship teams can defend set pieces than this team.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

How many of the issues that the squad has right now were there already when Frankie took over? I can bet about most of them.

Good point. For the past couple of seasons, I felt that we have been “too nice”. Sarri in particular. 
 

We need abit more aggression and fight. Someone to just bundle and fight the ball into the net rather than trying to score the perfect goal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Good point. For the past couple of seasons, I felt that we have been “too nice”. Sarri in particular. 
 

We need abit more aggression and fight. Someone to just bundle and fight the ball into the net rather than trying to score the perfect goal. 

I really believe that more players should try shooting from distance like CHO that isn't shy to give it a go. I think some of the players are still affected by the Sarriball, they don't want to shoot from distance but always pass back, at least we are a bit better when it comes to cross the ball but still not nearly good enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

 

This so far has been the biggest flaw in the Lampard's era, and to be fair it's still a very short era. Can he get better at this? Sure, hopefully he does it quick.

You can no longer keep blaming the players, the big part of this has to be the coaching. I swear Championship teams can defend set pieces than this team.

It was a big problem last season with Sarri aswell, that was why I chuckled at the theory that Rudiger would solve the issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...