ForeverCarefree

Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

In his pre-match presser today he said the big problem is our failure to convert chances, while saying we're creating plenty. Poor comments in my opinion, as they lay the blame at our players' door rather than his own. Finishing isn't the problem Frank. We just don't create enough.

19 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

In his pre-match presser today he said the big problem is our failure to convert chances, while saying we're creating plenty. Poor comments in my opinion, as they lay the blame at our players' door rather than his own. Finishing isn't the problem Frank. We just don't create enough.

I think this time we didn't create enough. at other times Tammy has been wasteful though not so much at Newcastle. 

5 hours ago, dkw said:

Because it rarely ever works, bringing in a creative player at this point in the season is a complete waste of time, especially form a different league. It will take them 3 or 4 weeks to get up to speed with the league, tactics etc. By which time its April, and if they arent playing well then questions will be raised as to why they were taking other players places. 

Fair point! I just think we need a shot in the arm from somewhere, and the upsides on a 4-month loan far outweigh the cost in my opinion. Top 4 will be remarkable as we will be able to compete for top players, and a deep run in the CL will be very good for our finances.

All things considered we desperately need a LB & a winger; and Liverpool have shown you don’t have to break the bank to do that, just smart scouting and analytics.

47 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Fair point! I just think we need a shot in the arm from somewhere, and the upsides on a 4-month loan far outweigh the cost in my opinion. Top 4 will be remarkable as we will be able to compete for top players, and a deep run in the CL will be very good for our finances.

All things considered we desperately need a LB & a winger; and Liverpool have shown you don’t have to break the bank to do that, just smart scouting and analytics.

My worry isn't financial, it's more how it will effect the atmosphere at the club, which I think is carrying us at the moment. A player like Cavani isn't going to come to our club to sit on the bench as understudy to Tammy, and I'm not sure how him usurping Tammy from first choice will go down in the dressing room. Now normally I wouldn't worry about that in a squad of star names who've been there and done it, they know the score. But a bunch of kids who have grew up together..... 

On your second point I fully agree, but I would much rather wait until the summer and get the players we want and who buy into Frank's thinking, rather than a short term cover who might see it as a nice pay day. 

Edited by dkw

1 hour ago, Davey Baby said:

It actually is a problem, and this isn't the first time he has said that either. Tammy has so far 14 big chances missed, Mount has 5, Willian has 2 that's already over 20 goals not being scored. Frank has been very consistant about the fact that we aren't clinical enough.

Before Burnley:

"When you analyse the three games that we’ve lost – West Ham, Bournemouth, Southampton – it always gives you a bad feeling losing at home in front of your fans. We’ve created 50 chances in three games and scored no goals so if that is the case and you’re playing in the Premier League and you let teams stay in the game then they will have quality to hurt you."

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

I think this time we didn't create enough. at other times Tammy has been wasteful though not so much at Newcastle. 

19 shots in total, only 4 on target.

I think it's something in the middle, we're not creating chances at will but we are definitely wasting some seriously promising situations.

I guess that's half to be expected when it's basically Willian and a bunch of youngsters fronting our attack (shame Pedro's legs have gone because he'd have been the perfect experienced foil for the young lads) but it's still quite frustrating never the less.

Edited by Argo

1 minute ago, Argo said:

I think it's something in the middle, we're not creating chances at will but we are definitely wasting some seriously promising situations.

I guess that's half to be expected when it's basically Willian and a bunch of youngsters fronting our attack but it's still quite frustrating never the less.

The irony was it was Willian and Kante who had the best chances.

3 minutes ago, Argo said:

I guess that's half to be expected when it's basically Willian and a bunch of youngsters fronting our attack (shame Pedro's legs have gone because he'd have been the perfect experienced foil for the young lads) but it's still quite frustrating never the less.

we created better openings tham we did when we won 2-1 last season. 

1st half azpi, kante, mount, and willian all found themselves with presentable opportunities in the box to either engineer a great chance or make half a yard and get a shot away. Only kante managed to get a shot on target. 

2nd half willian dragged one wide, and we wasted 2 or 3 promising counters where we were running at their back line, and ended up playing pass, or just being indecisive. 

Theres been a few games this season where we have created very little, such as Southampton at home, but on the whole i think we do create opportunities, maybe not quite enough, but a lot of the team, we lack the quality to consistently turn these openings into big chances. 

We had 1 consistent match winner in hazard last season, this year we have none. We have players capable of producing, but none that have consistant end product. 

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

19 shots in total, only 4 on target.

You've literally just said the opposite in the Kante thread, now you're trying to say the problem was we didn't put away our chances. 

image.thumb.png.58d2f6763bb6b0c10629670329f96927.png

Edited by Slojo

4 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

We as supporters need to exercise patience, we have a young inexperienced squad so therefore inconsistency was always going to be part of our season however at the same time we need to remember Lampard himself is a young Manager operating in one of the most competitive leagues in the world.

So far I would say he has done well with the squad he has at his disposal, we are in the top 4 and that is with 4 players who were playing in the Championship Last season & they have have been getting substantial minutes in each game. This is also without Hazard who was our best attacking player last season and alongside RLC, Kante, & Rudiger missing large parts of the season due to injury.

People have concerns about tactics but my view on this is that these are areas which Lampard will improve on through experience but what I think has most impressed me about him is his ability to be fluid with his ability to change tactics and formations if things are not going well. He changed things against Arsenal when we were being completely outplayed & he completely bamboozled Mourinho by changing our formation for the Spurs game. He just needs to identify his strongest 11 and get some continuity going so that players become more aware of what is expected of them when playing against highly organised defensive teams.    

It's not so much the young inexperienced team though, it's about Lampard disrupting a good setup and playing players on reputation. 

I expect CHO to have poor games like he did on Saturday, there was a lot immaturity in his performance, it's expected. But what's not expected is for Lampard to disrupt a good midfield partnership that was winning us points comfortably to a new partnership that hasn't worked and has lost us points time and time again, yet he persists with it. That's the issue at hand here, nothing to do with youngsters or inexperienced players, I think you're off the ball here. 

So if Lampard is saying we are not converting chances then maybe we need to look at the striking options because it seems Lampard is absorbing himself of responsibility at what point it's the fact you don't have enough experience and you are still finding your way. Am happy with that just be honest forthright and say am still learning we all understand that but he's starting to come across like Conte and to some extent Sarri, stubborn.

14 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Haven't you seen his passing chi blue? That is what makes a keeper worth 70mil these days. You're just looking at it all wrong. Claiming crosses and marshalling your defenders at set pieces is just out dated thinking.

I've solved the Kepa conundrum!!! If he changes his name to Peter he'll be  okay, Peter Shilton, Peter Schmiecel, Peter Bonetti, Peter Borota, Peter Cech. 

9 hours ago, chi blue said:

I've solved the Kepa conundrum!!! If he changes his name to Peter he'll be  okay, Peter Shilton, Peter Schmiecel, Peter Bonetti, Peter Borota, Peter Cech. 

All this time this has been staring us in the face!

11 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Cudicini was already pretty good, changing his name to Peter would have taken him to an even greater level.

Cudicini was very good.

It's unlucky for him that Cech just happened to be one of the greatest goalkeepers in the world at his peak.

We are 4th in the league, in FA Cup and progressed from a tricky CL group. I think we've done all right considering Frank is a first season Prem manager and we have new young faces in the squad.

I expect us to have some solidity latter part of next season or at least in the season following that. This all depends on signings of course.

Personally it is so hard to see us losing. Eats your insides a bit. Just have to be more patient I guess.

Lampard has done a good job so far, even so the team is developing some bad habits.

During this season the counter attacking from the opposition has really hurt us and Frank's player instructions are overall still poor and can be compared to the start of the season where too many of our players go forward and there are not enough bodies left to defend when we lose the ball.

We could play for a narrow win and just keep the ball, Sarri did that last season in order to minimize the counter attack threat, there shouldn't be an urgency when we have the lead, the team stresses itself to create even more and gets bound to committ errors and blunders but when there is no such self-made pressure the squad can obviously compete and put themselves in a good position.

Frank needs to be more pragmatic, the cost of not scoring enough goals doesn't need to result in letting in easy goals.

Obviously our defensive problems were there even before Frankie took the job but it needs to be something that he is actively trying to solve and so far by giving the instruction to players to simply go forward in huge numbers is actually ignoring the fact that we can be punished by counter attacks too easy.

E.g. both full backs don't need to constantly go forward, one can stay deep, Jorginho doesn't need to be in the enemy box when we are taking corners lets be honest he isn't going to score a header.

Tammy can sometimes hug the line and play 1-2 with the winger closes to him, Mount can cut inside and go wide on both flanks more often, players in general could take more long distance shots, if the team streches out the whole pitch someone will break down the opposition defense but you don't need more than 5 players for that.

We miss Hazard. Nobody is yet to fill that gap unfortunately. We also miss Loftus-Cheek in midfield. I do think Reece would have made a difference last night with his crossing. It is what it is, we were just not good enough, and we have needed major investment for a while now.

Missing out on a summer transfer window, then trying to frantically search for a good player this window was always going to be tough because we no longer have the money to throw around. 

I am concerned even with millions spent if the tactical side is lacking you would just get a group of good players not playing as a team. I so want this to be a success but unless you can see progress in terms of how we approach game's no new signing is going to fix tactical deficiency.

Lamp needs to start showing signs of tactical progression

I think we should buy Ake and go on with the season. He can cover for CB and LB and do a good job there.

Don't panicbuy a Cavani or similar. I think this transfer window is not helping Frank one bit.

Hone the system, train players right. Have a good spirit. Get some wins and try to finish fourth. Would be a massive achievement to be fair.

He just needs to improve which he will do. Unfortunately he is in the prem spotlight. I said at the time it came to early for him. Yes he has made mistakes but so have the players. Why wasn’t he screaming at Emerson to boot the ball out for Tammy to get treatment for example

2 hours ago, enigma said:

We miss Hazard. Nobody is yet to fill that gap unfortunately. We also miss Loftus-Cheek in midfield. I do think Reece would have made a difference last night with his crossing. It is what it is, we were just not good enough, and we have needed major investment for a while now.

Missing out on a summer transfer window, then trying to frantically search for a good player this window was always going to be tough because we no longer have the money to throw around. 

Your 100% right. We definitely do miss hazard. We win that game last night with hazard and the one at Newcastle. With hazard in that team I’d say we would be comfortable above Leicester. 

lampard is relying on William to fill that huge hole of creating chances and scoring goals in the tight games which he will never do. 

Personally I don’t think signing Cavani solves the problems we just aren’t creating enough clear cut chances.