ForeverCarefree

Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

Lampard: "Didier, Petr and Makelele,’  ‘What I want to do is bring in people not just because they played for the club but because they feel the club and want to be here with incredible work ethic."

Maka was pictured there yesterday but I don’t think Drogba was and he hasn’t been confirmed. It might be a wise move bringing Drogba back as our striker options aren’t brilliant and if Drogba can come to help develop them, that would be great. 

1 minute ago, JM7 said:

Maka was pictured there yesterday but I don’t think Drogba was and he hasn’t been confirmed. It might be a wise move bringing Drogba back as our striker options aren’t brilliant and if Drogba can come to help develop them, that would be great. 

Drogba is back

33 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Who was the last permanent British manager at Chelsea? Obviously we had people like Holland in for a game or two as interim.

Hoddle in the 90's?

Yup Hoddle was the last one, so it's been over two decades since our last British appointment. 

I think there's a bit of a stigma around British coaches... Still seen as being old fashioned and basing their football around hoofing it up the big man. 

But we've seen England reach world cup semi-finals with both the men's and woman's teams in the last year with young British coaches. The likes of Sean Dyche and Eddie Howe have managed to establish Burnley and Bournemouth in the Premier League playing decent football. 

There's definitely a new wave of coaches coming through with a more modern and more continental approach. 

When Frank came back to the Bridge as Derby manager for the cup game last season, the emotion was raw and heartfelt. A lot of emotion here from both sides.

Can't wait for the Leicester game, it feels that we, the fans, have got our club back again.

19 minutes ago, Fansince65 said:

Can't wait for the Leicester game, it feels that we, the fans, have got our club back again.

It's nice to see Frank back, but I can't say I ever felt like I lost the club in the first place.

59 minutes ago, Fansince65 said:

When Frank came back to the Bridge as Derby manager for the cup game last season, the emotion was raw and heartfelt. A lot of emotion here from both sides.

Brilliant vid. I was at this game but haven't ever seen any footage from afterwards. I must have only been a few rows behind the person who filmed this.

Thanks for sharing. 

I have confession to make. I didnt want us to sign lampard all them years ago, I felt we were overspending on english talent due to pressure from the media about how many foreign players we had, and i feared it would end up like sutton.

Lampard was also bought to replace gus poyet, who was a bit of a cult hero at the time, and scored some big goals for us. Lampard came in, and played left midfield in 442, and he didnt really hit the ground running, i think it took him a while to get on the scoresheet, but he really kicked on after xmas, and the rest as they say is history.

Lampard is one of my favourite ever chelsea players, and i think with the team we are assembling around him, he has a great chance at becoming one of my favourite chelsea managers. 

Exciting times ahead.

On 17/06/2019 at 11:52, bisright1 said:

My only pessimism about appointing him is how the fans react if we aren't in the top 4 next season. I am very worried that if (when) we don't make top 4, there will be pressure for him to move on. Cries of "tactically indept" and "not experienced enough" will come out. We will lose BIG against a top 6 rival. We will have an embarrassing home defeat against a team we would expect to beat. We will limp out of the CL at some stage - hopefully the QF but probably the L16 or potentially even the group stage. There is absolutely no reason for me to think none of those will happen. That isn't me being pessimistic, that's realistic. 

I don't know how our current fan base reacts to any of the above happening. 

I personally think SFL for 3 seasons could bring us success. I just don't know if we will give him that. 

Well said. My worry is that a legend will get sacked after 3 months if results are not top form - that would be awful. I do hope there are more like you who will support Lampard through a couple of rebuilding seasons with Morris guiding the youth through. A 3 year plan to be challenging for the top titles by the end would work for me.

Target next season: maybe get through the CL group stage and finish 6th in PL. 

If the spirit and work is there, I will enjoy the days out whatever.  

19 minutes ago, ZippyNW said:

My worry is that a legend will get sacked after 3 months if results are not top form -

If the club didn't sack Sarri after the performances and results the team put in between January and March then I don't think there's much chance of us sacking a manager during the first 3 months overseeing a team that's lost its best player and is serving a transfer ban. 

Just give him the trust, give him the belief and I'm sure that Franky will take us far!

Don't judge him immediately in the first season, to build a project the manager need 2-3 years. I can't wait to see our youngsters running the field and taking this club far!

He's one of the reasons that Chelsea turned to be a top club, I'm sure Franky will keep that running. 

Wish him the best of luck, patience and belief! 

It's great to have Frank back and I think he can do well given the support of fans and the board. There are so many positives with Franks work ethic and Jody's understanding and knowledge of the youth players will be invaluable. I believe future could be bright but I have a concern.

Drogba, Makele, Cech, Morris, Newton and a few others sounds like a big coaching staff. It was good to have all these guys around when they were on the pitch because they could go onto the pitch and make a difference but put them in the dressing room and Franks message gets diluted. Their position within the coaching staff must be made crystal clear and they must do only as Frank says. They must work within Franks framework and only Franks framework. Drogba is a big personality, a smashing guy, but a big character. We cannot have him developing his own clique within the dressing room. This is Franks dressing room and he must be the boss. Drogba may have the best intentions in the world but I worry he could become a distraction from Franks leadership.

I think what I'm trying to say is too many chefs could be a problem. Hopefully Frank is aware of the potential for confusion setting in with so many on the coaching staff.

Maybe this is sort of pipedream but I was just thinking a coach who we could draw parallels with and I thought of Diego Someone. Simeone started with Atlético at similar age and he have managed to galvanize his position with the club. He is also a winner type like Frank is. Would love of things ended up like in Atlético. 

1 hour ago, evissy said:

Maybe this is sort of pipedream but I was just thinking a coach who we could draw parallels with and I thought of Diego Someone. Simeone started with Atlético at similar age and he have managed to galvanize his position with the club. He is also a winner type like Frank is. Would love of things ended up like in Atlético. 

Wrong man for this club. 

2 hours ago, evissy said:

good shout - that'd be amazing

So I'm browsing through news of Chelsea and it is naturally all Frank and the new season ahead. One theme that has been very trendy is Frank and youth. All the experts, ex-players and everyone who is asked about it all say the same. Finally the youth have a chance. 

Lets take a look at the squad

Kepa, Caballero 

Rudiger, Christensen, Luiz, Azpi, Zappa, Palmieri, Alonso, Zouma, Ampadu

Drinkwater, Jorginho, Kovacic, Kante, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek, Van Ginkel, Bakayoko

Hudson-Odoi, Giroud, Pedro, Willian, Batshuayi, Pulisic

Youth in this squad is Christensen, Ampadu, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi and Pulisic. 

On-loan talent that are looking to push into Frank's starting 11 are: Reece James, Abraham, Tomori, Mount, Clarke-Salter. 

Frank used 4-3-3 formation mostly with Derby and 4-2-3-1. It is fair to assume it will be either of the two. 

Kepa will be the goalie so it is a simple choice. 

D-line for me is also pretty simple. Only Reece James could do something there. We have a good d-line with great experience. Azpi and Rudiger will be Frank's go to guys. Both are fighters and very good footballers. Zappacosta might be in trouble with his Chelsea future. Palmieri will take the role from Alonso. I expect Frank to value pace all around the pitch. 

Midfield trio will consist of Kante for sure and with Loftus-Cheek when he comes back. Still not sure about Frank and Jorginho but we will see. Then we have Barkley, Bakayoko, Kovacic and Drinkwater to fight for remaining spots. Mount will probably continue with Derby the following season. Haven't seen him play I have to admit. 

The attack is interesting. Willian and Pedro will be playing good amount of football I'm sure of it. Pulisic will also play a lot I think. When Hudson-Odoi gets back he will fill one of the 4 spots of our wingers. Who pips who I don't know but this is the 4 players.

Strikers dept is interesting as we have Giroud, Batshuayi and Abraham. Giroud doesn't score in the league and Michy is all hit and miss. Maybe Tammy has a real shot here. If he manages to impress Frank he might well start ahead of the pack.

This is the only spot I feel our on loan youth talent could make a giant leap. Mount has too many players in front of him. Reece James is injured and has Azpilicueta in front of him. Azpi will be Frank's right arm I feel and the captain. 

If you count Hudson-Odoi, Loftus-Cheek and Christensen as emerging youth Frank will have a youthful side but Sarri already broke them in. 

In my assesment Tammy would be the man that is promoted by Frank and even that is very 50-50. If Frank values pace none of our strikers have that. Maybe he should just throw Pedro as a striker. 

Saw zouma and bakayoko at training today but no morata, also saw frank on the ball, I wonder how long it will be before he wants to sub himself on in a game, I’d still fancy him to poach a goal. 

39 minutes ago, evissy said:

So I'm browsing through news of Chelsea and it is naturally all Frank and the new season ahead. One theme that has been very trendy is Frank and youth. All the experts, ex-players and everyone who is asked about it all say the same. Finally the youth have a chance. 

Lets take a look at the squad

Kepa, Caballero 

Rudiger, Christensen, Luiz, Azpi, Zappa, Palmieri, Alonso, Zouma, Ampadu

Drinkwater, Jorginho, Kovacic, Kante, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek, Van Ginkel, Bakayoko

Hudson-Odoi, Giroud, Pedro, Willian, Batshuayi, Pulisic

Youth in this squad is Christensen, Ampadu, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi and Pulisic. 

On-loan talent that are looking to push into Frank's starting 11 are: Reece James, Abraham, Tomori, Mount, Clarke-Salter. 

Frank used 4-3-3 formation mostly with Derby and 4-2-3-1. It is fair to assume it will be either of the two. 

Kepa will be the goalie so it is a simple choice. 

D-line for me is also pretty simple. Only Reece James could do something there. We have a good d-line with great experience. Azpi and Rudiger will be Frank's go to guys. Both are fighters and very good footballers. Zappacosta might be in trouble with his Chelsea future. Palmieri will take the role from Alonso. I expect Frank to value pace all around the pitch. 

Midfield trio will consist of Kante for sure and with Loftus-Cheek when he comes back. Still not sure about Frank and Jorginho but we will see. Then we have Barkley, Bakayoko, Kovacic and Drinkwater to fight for remaining spots. Mount will probably continue with Derby the following season. Haven't seen him play I have to admit. 

The attack is interesting. Willian and Pedro will be playing good amount of football I'm sure of it. Pulisic will also play a lot I think. When Hudson-Odoi gets back he will fill one of the 4 spots of our wingers. Who pips who I don't know but this is the 4 players.

Strikers dept is interesting as we have Giroud, Batshuayi and Abraham. Giroud doesn't score in the league and Michy is all hit and miss. Maybe Tammy has a real shot here. If he manages to impress Frank he might well start ahead of the pack.

This is the only spot I feel our on loan youth talent could make a giant leap. Mount has too many players in front of him. Reece James is injured and has Azpilicueta in front of him. Azpi will be Frank's right arm I feel and the captain. 

If you count Hudson-Odoi, Loftus-Cheek and Christensen as emerging youth Frank will have a youthful side but Sarri already broke them in. 

In my assesment Tammy would be the man that is promoted by Frank and even that is very 50-50. If Frank values pace none of our strikers have that. Maybe he should just throw Pedro as a striker. 

i dont agree on mount's situation at all, i think his only competition is barkley, and RLC when he comes back. I cant see lampard playing any midfield that doesnt consist of at least 1 attacking midfielder, he didnt set up like that at derby, and with the player he was himself, i think he would want at least 1 midfielder who offers goals.

So that leaves kante, jorginho, kovacic, Bakayoko, and drinkwater competing for 2 spots. 

I think one of, or possibly both Bakayoko and Drinkwater will leave as well, depending on Ampadu, and whether Lampard see him as a centre back or midfielder, and also whether he is loaned out. 

I think mount will get at least until january yhen i if RLC is back match fit, it might be a decision between Mount and Barkley. 

I dont think Pedro will ever play as false 9 either, not when we are short of wingers, and we have 3 capable strikers. Im not sure how Lampard could make noise about giving youth a chance, and then go and play a 32 year old out of position, instead of playing Abraham, who is best suited to pressing from the front aswell.

7 minutes ago, big blue said:

i dont agree on mount's situation at all, i think his only competition is barkley, and RLC when he comes back. I cant see lampard playing any midfield that doesnt consist of at least 1 attacking midfielder, he didnt set up like that at derby, and with the player he was himself, i think he would want at least 1 midfielder who offers goals.

So that leaves kante, jorginho, kovacic, Bakayoko, and drinkwater competing for 2 spots. 

I think one of, or possibly both Bakayoko and Drinkwater will leave as well, depending on Ampadu, and whether Lampard see him as a centre back or midfielder, and also whether he is loaned out. 

I think mount will get at least until january yhen i if RLC is back match fit, it might be a decision between Mount and Barkley. 

I dont think Pedro will ever play as false 9 either, not when we are short of wingers, and we have 3 capable strikers. Im not sure how Lampard could make noise about giving youth a chance, and then go and play a 32 year old out of position, instead of playing Abraham, who is best suited to pressing from the front aswell.

As I said I haven't seen Mount play apart from some YouTube compilations. It would make sense Frank wanting goals from midfield. He knows all about it. I would love to see Mount take one of Baka, Barkley, Kovacic spot as those three have only seen the goal in some photos. 

Drinkwater is a 50-50 for me. He could be so energized of the chance he impresses Frank. I think Ampadu is loaned out or should be anyway. He needs to play all the time. 

Pedro was an idea. We have 3 heavy footed strikers. Frank will struggle with the 3 I think in any case.