Super Frank Lampard

ForeverCarefree

Sack or Back ???  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

2 hours ago, Brutos said:

I think a large portion of the fans badly want to see Lampard become a superstar manager  like he was as a player with the emotional connection. They want the fairytale to be completed club hero comes home and returns PL, CL, FA Cup League Cup...etc and it’s hard for them to accept he may just be a another average manager who got a shot at the big team not on merit but on his name and his history with the club similar to Oli/Pirlo/Zidane/Pep. It’s hard to accept that maybe he’s just average and only time will tell.

I hope they give him three full years so there is no excuses to say he wasn’t given time. Maybe he proves he is a superstar manager we win the treble in the third year gets another three year’s and we dominate for years to come or we could struggle become the new Arsenal or old Liverpool and spent year’s in the lower top 10.

Only time will tell however!!

He looks lost at the moment and unless by some miracle we start winning games and dominating teams offensively I just don't see him lasting the season.  Although we don't see it on the TV, I just don't see the passion that he had several months ago, he looks tired and frustrated as well I imagine putting pressure on himself....sadly I can only see this ending one way unless he can turn things around after the City game which I think we might have a chance of winning because they are more open than most teams.  

4 minutes ago, enigma said:

Frank Lampard is 3 seasons into his managerial career, and two of those seasons are at the top level of football. That is mental when you think about it. He never coached the youth academy like many top coaches have done in the past. He was never an assistant coach. He went straight into coaching at Championship level and took Derby to the play off finals, losing out to Aston Villa. Then he takes the Chelsea job and takes us to top four despite many people thinking he wouldn't do so, especially after the loss of our best player. This season he brought in half a new first team, some of them starting up with the team later on due to injury or match fitness. I do think some people are being overly harsh on him considering some of the players are still adapting to the league and style of play. 

Seems some think we have divine right to be at the top and find it unacceptable that we are not.

I’m not judging Lampard until next season, once the signings have settled and know each other well.

For Christ’s sake people who are calling for Lampard to be sacked are absolute idiots. Sorry, I don’t like calling people names but I feel it is fully warranted. 

Transfer ban, 6 new signings to gel in, I feel all things considered especially with Werner and Havertz’s form, he is doing well. Stop being hysterical.

7 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I’m not judging Lampard until next season, once the signings have settled and know each other well.

For Christ’s sake people who are calling for Lampard to be sacked are absolute idiots. Sorry, I don’t like calling people names but I feel it is fully warranted. 

Transfer ban, 6 new signings to gel in, I feel all things considered especially with Werner and Havertz’s form, he is doing well. Stop being hysterical.

So if we finish bottom half of the table, in his 2nd year with over 200 million spent. You won't judge Lampard? You won't think there's anyone else better who can make use of this squad? 

I completely understand it's a transition season, but there has to be limits here, we need to see improvement and a key identity/strategy, it's all gone to pot again. I won't accept it if we can't make top 4 this season, absolutely no reason why we shouldn't, or at the very least challenge for it. If we are finishing midtable that's absolutely piss poor. 

5 minutes ago, Slojo said:

So if we finish bottom half of the table, in his 2nd year with over 200 million spent. You won't judge Lampard? You won't think there's anyone else better who can make use of this squad? 

I completely understand it's a transition season, but there has to be limits here, we need to see improvement and a key identity/strategy, it's all gone to pot again. I won't accept it if we can't make top 4 this season, absolutely no reason why we shouldn't, or at the very least challenge for it. If we are finishing midtable that's absolutely piss poor. 

Yes I will accept that. Given all the success the club has had in my life time, much of which Frank has been involved with, I can afford to give him another year to either get it right, or walk away at the end of his deal.

Though it does not matter what I, Dan or you or anyone on here thinks. Is what Roman decides to do with his club.

Edited by axman2526

8 minutes ago, Slojo said:

The thing is, we won’t finish mid table. Do you really think we will continue with this bad form for the rest of the season?

I think we will finish top 4, it may go to final day but top 4 is good enough for me. The attitude I have seen from people recently, I would be on the same boat a year later - When the new signings have had a year to settle plus even more signings of course. 

But right now, no we got to remember this is his first year with new signings - Cut him some slack and he will figure it out.

6 new signings. That’s a heck a lot to settle in.

3 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

The thing is, we won’t finish mid table. Do you really think we will continue with this bad form for the rest of the season?

I think we will finish top 4, it may go to final day but top 4 is good enough for me. The attitude I have seen from people recently, I would be on the same boat a year later - When the new signings have had a year to settle plus even more signings of course. 

But right now, no we got to remember this is his first year with new signings - Cut him some slack and he will figure it out.

6 new signings. That’s a heck a lot to settle in.

We got outplayed and bullied by an Arsenal team full of kids, a mid table finish is definitely a possibility. It's evident that the players can drop their heads and just stop playing. We've been absolutely rubbish for about 6 weeks now, two very hard games coming up. I don't see how it's a given that a resurgence is on the cards, I don't think that's me being hysterical, from the football we are playing at the minute, I'm being realistic. 

I reckon we could finish anywhere between 4th and mid table, the whole team is so unpredictable from the team selection and who will actually turn up to play. The last 3 away games played in the exact same pattern, lack of urgency and effort, and slow passing and uneasy with possession. Basically every issue we had last season, we still have it right now ( bar the GK) . One or two injuries and the whole team looked off, imagine if we lose Pullisic or Silva for another few weeks. It looks like another transition season for me, we probably need another couple of players next month, which will only make the integration process longer.

53 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Does anyone not find it weird that when Giroud is playing we cross less? But when other strikers are playing all we ever do is cross?

Maybe because when Giroud is in the box teams prevent the wide players to get the ball in and show them on the inside and when we have Werner or Tammy playing CF teams tend to show the wide player on the outside and allow them to get the ball into the box. 

Edited by Imran_CFC

I think that many fans won't be happy with this 50% win rate, if it continues in this specific manner that is.

That goal that Villa scored was a very stupid goal for us to concede, it's crazy how a big team like us can allow something like that to happen, it makes us look so bad and so naive.

That should have never ever happen to us, nor to any big team for that matter. First the handball not being called and Kante being a passenger because of it, then the collision between Christensen and Grealish after which Grealish stands up while our CB doesn't, and a simple cross to the far post that nobody covered. It's hard  to find a script that bad.

With Sarri there was a big problem when we couldn't manage to score first. But if we did score first I felt that we might just win the game.
Now when we score first we seem happy to let the opposition come back into the game, exactly on their own terms. That's just not being competitive enough and it's not acceptable.

We're too nice towards the opposition and I'm not the first one to say it. Nobody is afraid to take on our players, even Arsenal kids and even when Kepa isn't playing. The opposition uses whatever means to get ahead, while at the same time we look uncomfortable while having a lead... Instead of playing smart and looking for an opening and to use the pace of Pulisic/CHO, we look scared while we're leading!

We have now a strange mentality and I think that if Lampard doesn't address that, it won't matter who he plays or who he buys.

Maybe the one thing that Ziyech brings part from his vision is his balls (no pun intended), he just doesn't give a sh*t! You see him out there you know that he thinks he's better than the guys on the other side of the pitch!

6 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

I think that many fans won't be happy with this 50% win rate, if it continues in this specific manner that is.

That goal that Villa scored was a very stupid goal for us to concede, it's crazy how a big team like us can allow something like that to happen, it makes us look so bad and so naive.

That should have never ever happen to us, nor to any big team for that matter. First the handball not being called and Kante being a passenger because of it, then the collision between Christensen and Grealish after which Grealish stands up while our CB doesn't, and a simple cross to the far post that nobody covered. It's hard  to find a script that bad.

With Sarri there was a big problem when we couldn't manage to score first. But if we did score first I felt that we might just win the game.
Now when we score first we seem happy to let the opposition come back into the game, exactly on their own terms. That's just not being competitive enough and it's not acceptable.

We're too nice towards the opposition and I'm not the first one to say it. Nobody is afraid to take on our players, even Arsenal kids and even when Kepa isn't playing. The opposition uses whatever means to get ahead, while at the same time we look uncomfortable while having a lead... Instead of playing smart and looking for an opening and to use the pace of Pulisic/CHO, we look scared while we're leading!

We have now a strange mentality and I think that if Lampard doesn't address that, it won't matter who he plays or who he buys.

Maybe the one thing that Ziyech brings part from his vision is his balls (no pun intended), he just doesn't give a sh*t! You see him out there you know that he thinks he's better than the guys on the other side of the pitch!

Fair point. We do not really have any players with a "nasty" streak in this side ala Wise, Ballack, JT, Didier etc

6 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

I am 100% behind Frank even if we drop to Arsenal - levels. I am not sure Roman and the board gives Frank that luxury. That is not really in the clubs DNA. 

52 minutes ago, evissy said:

I am 100% behind Frank even if we drop to Arsenal - levels. I am not sure Roman and the board gives Frank that luxury. That is not really in the clubs DNA. 

It’s not about a club’s DNA though; you don’t invest that amount of money to regress. He might as well have continued developing our youth players. As things stand this is an experiment, and like someone pointed out there are no guarantees he will ever turn out to be a top manager.

As for dropping down to Arsenal’s level, they win against Brighton and they are 6pts behind us. The size of our stadium, the amount of sponsorship compared with our rivals and the current global pandemic dictates that the club will need to take decisive action swiftly. 

The issue I have is that I think the 17 game unbeaten run was really misleading.  Includes the easiest Champions League group in living memory and the only victories in the league were against teams at the very bottom.  I thought we were crap against Brighton and won and the same against West Ham (I know that wasn't in the unbeaten run).  

I'm desperate for Frank to succeed but I just can't see it.  I think he manages like we would as fans.  he is too emotionally involved with Chelsea.  I see that when he is sulking on the touch line just like a fan.

I want to see an experienced member of the staff with him.  Someone like  Ray, RIP, would have been perfect....

I'm disappointed that the biggest signings have been messed around.  We all thought Werner would be playing through the middle.  Hasn't happened so why did we buy him.  I know we've had injuries out wide but I would have rather Werner played up front and got his eye in.  Havertz I feel for, just told to fill in whereever.  If you were buying these two players, I would expect them to be the first two names in the  teamsheet with the rest and style of play built around them.  This way, if we were having indifferent form, I could still see what Frank is trying to do and where he says they need more time to settle would hold more weight....

One other thing, didn't think he was great but getting rid of Barkley was a mistake, at least he had something to offer going forwards...

It does feel like a mess at the minute and it’s not enjoyable watching Chelsea at the minute. Most of our forwards are out of form. 

I saw a rumour on Twitter (make of it what you will) that Lampard has 2 games to save his job. Unless the club really feel that we should be challenging for the title given the investment and being 7th/8th is unacceptable, I don’t see the club sacking him. I would think they give him at least until the end of the season. Did Frank agree with Roman that he needs a minimum of 2 years?

Difficult moment for sure. 

We got tough games coming up. We face City, Leicester, Wolverhampton and Tottenham in the next month or so.

It goes without saying we need to improve, and rapidly. Because if we continue like this we'll lose against all of those and then Lampard would be in all kinds of trouble.

I think top 4 is the minimum requirement this season. We are already in a difficult spot and a loss to City would be utterly disasterous.

3 minutes ago, doctorblue said:

Bild today are linking Tuchel with the Chelsea manager job...and PSG have just announced Tuchel's sacking...maybe a German manager will get the most from our German players...

A big no, I would rather keep Frank than him. Don't like his football and I think he's bang average. 

Tuchel!! Do me a favour we will all be back on here wanting another manager by Easter. A manager who has won in a 1 team league is not what we want. As crazy as it sounds if Roman and Marina decide to call time on Super Frank we need to go for Brendan Rogers. He has proved he can manage youth and experience plus he would bring a decent coaching staff with him which in my opinion is Franks downfall. Get Stevie Holland back to help him.

As bad as the results have been the last three-four weeks I believe the club isn't almost as unimpressed with how these two have looked so far:

Bilde

It's not secret Lampard wanted both of them. Huge investment by the club in a time where few others invested because of the effects of Covid.

No part of me believe the club would sit idle and watch those two become bench-players or impact subs. So Lampard needs to get them going fast.

Because right now Havertz have already become an impact sub and Werner is well on his way there by the looks of things.

Edited by Sindre

Interesting how now stats totally matter for Timo and Kai even when both spent most games filling in the gaps in the 4-3-3 formation, Lampard didn't build the team around them this season at all, he could have done that but he chose to settle in Mount back in his position and to find the new position for Kante.

Timo started the season well but got burned out running down the wing and lost confidence. He's a striker that is known for missing chances but just by being the striker he's capable of getting into more than enough chances to make up for his misses. That's not possible when he's asked to provide for others, he spent so much energy just to get into a chance only to miss it and then he goes cold and spends another 30 minutes just hugging the touchline and then whoops he misses again...
He was played in the wrong way most of the time and the few goals he did score in the PL, half of them he created by himself, Jorginho's long ball wasn't an assist for Jorginho officially, it was Timo that had so many touches there and basically created the goal himself. Then he got a pass on the wing, ran the counter attack by himself, passed 4-5 players and scored in another game, that's him trying to force it and most of the time it won't work but it looked great that one time, that's not us playing tactically well, that's equivalent to buying Messi/Maradona and him running past 4 players for a goal but that doesn't make your tactics good.

Kai was mostly filling in for whoever wasn't there to play in a certain position, the few games where he played as the AM he delivered almost every game.
For some reason Lampard decided to play him as a false 9 against Liverpool, Christensen got a red card and Kai was subbed off. That's not him playing bad, that's just random, you have Tammy, Giroud, Werner but you simply have to play Kai as a false 9 against Liverpool so early on in the season when he didn't even have a pre-season and then you take him off because your Christensen lost the game for you already.
But after that game Lampard played him correctly, he was the AM in 3 games in a row, he scored, assisted and won a penalty during that time so he had a run of 3 games where he did well and then it ended when Lampard changed the formation for the Spurs game and Kai played once again only 45 minutes in a different role, after that point Lampard used him as the CM, RW, basically wherever he needed to fill in so that's not really how you make a new player settle in.

Is it really that mind-blowing how the new signings that play well are players that are never asked do do something other than what they are the best at? Ziyech was never moved outside of the right wing, Chilwell and T.Silva obviously only play their natural positions.
But then people are surprised that Timo and Kai have weak stats, I mean even Ziyech had a bad game at least once and he only played in his strongest position, why do we expect new players to perform well when we don't use them correctly?

It's the manager's job to use his players in the best way where their best abilities will come into play, it's the manager's job to provide for the best possible ways so that they perform. Last season Lampard blamed the players for not being clinical enough and it's true we missed a lot of chances but he's not doing any favors to anyone by demanding that Werner simply figures it out on the wing and changes his player-profile in a matter of a few months, that's taking a big risk and a big leap of faith and of course it hasn't paid out!

Same for Kai, a huge signing that spent 30% of the time on the wing playing way too wide. Like I said, if you want a new young player to settle in fast and to contribute you should play him in his best position where you would have the most chances that he delivers as soon as possible.

Solskjaer doesn't play Fernandes or van De Beek on the wing, he's not trying to re-invent those players he just puts them where they play their best game and hopes for the best. And it's working...

1 hour ago, doctorblue said:

Bild today are linking Tuchel with the Chelsea manager job...and PSG have just announced Tuchel's sacking...maybe a German manager will get the most from our German players...

I rather keep Lampard this guy reaction to the incident with PSG last champions league where he didn’t back up his player’s says all you need to know about him so no not this guy.

• coco changed the title to *Officially sacked* but still Super Frank Lampard
  • coco changed the title to Super Frank Lampard
  • coco unpinned this topic