Sack or Back ???  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

New here. Been on other forum for the last two years (top3 in terms of likes 😋

Anyway that forum does not work anymore it was a great place. I hope to find something similar here. 

Frank is my all time favourite player but he was a bad coach and this week could not started better with him being sacked. Frank as a player has zero influence on me in the way I see him as a manager. 

I am really surprised and disappointed with Chelsea fans reaction today. 

What happened to us? When we did become like this? Accepting mediocrity? We laughed at Arsenal for finished 4th place always and now we are mid table after best transfer window in the history of football and majority want to continue with Frank? 

21 minutes ago, PhilH930 said:

I read earlier that Jody left also, with training conducted by a backroom staff member.

Yeah Jody and Frank felt like a bit of a duo. Not sure how it'll work with Quarantine for Tuchel and who might take the matches during that time. 

In a way I’m still looking forward to see what this bunch of new signings can do, we have I’m my opinion the second best squad after city and it was becoming painful watching them after all that pre season excitement. 

Frank is a big boy he knew the risks he would have been under no illusions. 

The squad needs trimmed down ASAP it’s too big too hard to keep everyone happy. 

We all knew deep down That frank being the long term manager under Roman was a long shot. 

What can we do but get behind the new coach and look forward to seeing a new style, seeing if the players potential can be met. 

I’m not surprised that it happened, football is a cut throat business now, Roman wants a return on his investment, we all know that he’s had a short fuse for years. As for the opinion of rival fans, United fans called for Solskjær’s head, Arsenal Arteta’s and I’ve even seen Liverpool fans call for Klopp’s head, so they can all take a hike. 

I’ve been critical this season of coarse, it’s not been pretty lately and it’s been frustrating. I love Frank and I really wanted him to succeed, but I just wasn’t sure if he had the capabilities to turn it around, I have to be honest. I wanted to eat my words, but what’s done is done now, I’m sure Frank will bounce back, that’s the sort of person he is. 

I don’t think we need to be attacking each other on this thread. Plenty of idiots on social media who gave Frank abuse, aim your anger at them, not at people who didn’t think he was up to the task, huge difference. 

1 hour ago, NIKKICFC said:

I am really surprised and disappointed with Chelsea fans reaction today. 

What happened to us? When we did become like this? Accepting mediocrity? We laughed at Arsenal for finished 4th place always and now we are mid table after best transfer window in the history of football and majority want to continue with Frank? 

Supporters react differently to the news. There isn't a right way of how supporters deal with this especially in the immediate aftermath.

• Some will be overjoyed Frank is gone.
  • Some will agree that it was the right decision to sack him, but take no pleasure in seeing it happen.
  • Some will disagree with the decision, but understand the board's logic behind it and the way they operate shouldn't come as a surprise that he's departed.
  • Others will be in despair and deeply disappointed believing the decision was wrong and Frank deserved further time.

The way you post suggests you're of a younger generation which is fine, but it gives you a different perspective compared to older supporters.

A lot of us here grew up in a time where Chelsea wasn't just about winning trophies every year, and if anything it was a bonus when did it happen. Generally speaking, older supporters have a higher standard of expecting loyalty, morals and principles from those running the club. Younger supporters are far more interested in "winning at all costs", which is a good ambition to have but it also undermines those standards that older supporters generally expect of the club and it makes this whole process somewhat hollow.

No one denies that Roman Abramovich is a transformative figure, and his impact on the club has been overwhelmingly positive as it's meant we've had more success and reached the pinnacle in all competitions, but the byproduct of it is we've seen events like yesterday happen frequently under his ownership that will rub some supporters up the wrong way in the manner we conduct ourselves as a club.

Frank Lampard is a legend of a club, and to be discarded the way he was understandably disappoints many supporters. If they can do it to a club legend, then no one is immune to the whims of the owner.

I’m in two minds about this decision.

Last season frank did an outstanding job, he played players from our academy/youth which I have always wanted to see, frank and the players proved they are good enough to play for our first team. 

Frank got us top 4 and to an FA cup final which we should of won but didn’t because of outrageous decisions from the ref. 

This season we spent a LOT of money on players and started the season good, got out of the champions league group unbeaten and until very recently fighting for the title. 

For some reason the past few months have turned sour, based on the past few months yes frank did deserve to be sacked HOWEVER based on the past 18 months frank DIDN’T deserve to be sacked.

What caused this recently slump in results? Was it the older players who have been frozen out causing problems in the dressing room? Alonso, Rudiger, Dave, Jorginho? 

Or was it that frank was never good enough to begin with? 

I truly believe Frank proved last season and the beginning of this season that he was/is good enough and I believe the players frozen out of the team caused this slump. 

It breaks my heart that frank has gone, the way Chelsea sacked him is disgusting, yes roman made a statement which was a nice touch by him but the way the board have handled this is in my eyes unforgivable! 

I hope we ALL remember frank as the Legend he is and not by the past few months of results, I don’t want this to hamper his legacy with our fans. 

KTBFFH

Edited by Blueborn94
2 hours ago, SFL82 said:

The squad needs trimmed down ASAP it’s too big too hard to keep everyone happy.

With Tomori leaving on loan, we are down to 24 players in the first team squad, of which 3 are goalkeepers. Apart from losing a left back, you really can't trim it down any more than that. A couple of injuries and suspensions and we would be down to bare bones when you consider the fixture schedule, recovery times etc etc.

4 hours ago, Jezz said:

It does make me wonder whether Frank was always a stop-gap measure in the eyes of the owner/board after losing Hazard and having a transfer embargo over our heads, and they knew that appointing a club legend would appease the supporters for a while.

The circumstances we faced made the appointment a win win for both parties.

Lampard would be the manager that saw the bigger picture in regards to the youth promotion, recruitment and football etc and do what was the best for the club as opposed to his career, with that came two pretty good possibilities.

We stumble across a medium/long term manager (ala Real and Zizou) or he falls short tactically at this early stage of his career but leaves an excellent foundation for someone who can make full use of what he has built. 

Unfortunately it transpired to be the latter but I don't think Lampard was nesseserily seen as a stop gap, it was a low risk high reward gamble for both parties. Also Lamps like all the other manager's will have no career damage from this thanks to the media stigma regarding Roman/our hot seat that got AVB the Spurs job after outright failing with us and Mou the biggest job in country after having us in relegation trouble.

10 hours ago, Argo said:

So you're on the board when Scolari knocks on your door and says he wants Drogba out and Adriano in, you're honestly telling me you would grant that wish?

yes, and if I have done enough research before hiring, I would fully trust his decision.

I have said this many times, there is no point hiring someone and then not trusting his decision making, it is wasting both parties time. You either not hiring them or fully commit on them

Couple of points:

-Frank for me did very well considering he is such an inexperienced manager. His highlights were: instilling our brilliant youth, playing football that was on front foot, making CL last term with a young core.

-For me Frank didn't fail. He believed he could turn things around sticking to his ideas. It didn't work and now he is out. You can't win sometimes. If he was given an extra month I think things would have turned around. Chelsea wont give you that so here we are.

-The reports saying there were influental players behind the scenes making disruption. Probably. This is part of the job. You need to handle that. Frank apparently coudn't handle the massive squad and its complexities. Frank was probably facing a situation that was very difficult to start with. Without experiece these things can bite you. 

-I dont want to blame individual players who make disruption behind the scenes. It is normal. You have 4-7 international level players not playing and have no idea when they play. This is going on in every major club at the moment. Especially during January.

-Frank is still the same legend he was. This doesn't really do anything to his legacy. Nothing at all. I can see him being our manager once again in the future if he continues his path. If he doesn't come back, fine.

-Frank bounces back very quickly. He is hurt now but he will get over it and finds a good new job soon enough. 

2 minutes ago, cfcforeverfan said:

yes, and if I have done enough research before hiring, I would fully trust his decision.

I have said this many times, there is no point hiring someone and then not trusting his decision making, it is wasting both parties time. You either not hiring them or fully commit on them

Then we wouldn't have had the best night in the club's history.

Also it's not as simple as that, some managers are good at coaching but poor in the market, and vice versa.

Just now, Argo said:

Then we wouldn't have had the best night in the club's history.

Also it's not as simple as that, some managers are good at coaching but poor in the market, and vice versa.

oh maybe Adriano would revive his career and score the goal for us instead?

Just because history happened that way doesnt mean any other possibilities wont happen if things changed in the past. 

Do your research, and hire someone who knows what he wants, and good at coaching at the same time, instead of hiring a coach who you dont want to give him the power to buy players, and then they get upset and find that the players you throw at them are unplayable for him, thus wasting  everyone's time and money - the club, the manager and the player, Lose, lose lose situation

7 hours ago, just said:

KonaKai I don't get the analogy. Obviously losing any big game hurts if you care about your team. But again, you are completely missing the point myself and others are making here today. 

I know the emotions differ around the fsnbsse and some are absolutely gutted that Frank has been sacked, I get it.

But what I don't get is some of the things I'm coming across. I'm even seeing comments where people want us to lose against Wolves. Incredible.

55 minutes ago, KonaKai Blue said:

I know the emotions differ around the fsnbsse and some are absolutely gutted that Frank has been sacked, I get it.

But what I don't get is some of the things I'm coming across. I'm even seeing comments where people want us to lose against Wolves. Incredible.

Agreed, even though I thought it was the best move for Chelsea football club I was a bit sad when it became official. The fact that comment claiming we hoping we lose to Wolves hasn't (yet) been picked up on says it all, wanting a change for the good of the club makes you fake but hoping we get smashed at home to Wolves is acceptable, apparently.

Edited by Argo

One of things that is concerning to me about the club is that we’ve declined over the last 5 years. Yes we’ve won the PL, but apart from that, we’re nowhere near consistently dominating and winning the CL. The fact that we’re in and out of the CL says it all. 

Anyone think that this may have ruined JTs chances of managing Chelsea? Think the club will think twice about appointing a rookie manager again (though you could argue it has largely been a success)

Although most of us could sense this is coming, still feel very disappointed when it happened, and Lampard being so classy made me feel even worse about this. His record isn't great, but what he did last season was something close to a miracle. Nobody wanted to be the Chelsea manager last season, and he took us more than most could have hoped. This season was also going to be the true test, with big name signings, higher expectations, and more scrutiny. To be honest, unless all the signings just click in, he's always going to be in trouble. 6 months is pretty short, most sensible fans would say judge a player after a full season, this rule doesn't apply to managers unfortunately. A true Chelsea legend, I'm sure his name will be sing by the fans when football is open to fans again.

7 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Anyone think that this may have ruined JTs chances of managing Chelsea? Think the club will think twice about appointing a rookie manager again (though you could argue it has largely been a success)

The club and fans would love JT to manage Chelsea. But that is a way off. He'll have to do the basics at at a lower level learn, learn and learn, gain as much experience as he can and prove himself, then who knows.

You do wonder whether Frank would have been better trying to work with the youngsters rather than trying to intergrat the bought players. He seemed to be able to work with them very well. 

I saw one rumour regarding the Rice transfer that the board felt that Lampard was trying to use his status to only manage young English kids and that he couldn’t manage the bigger players. That’s why he was pushing for Rice. It’s a brutal comment and obviously we don’t know how true it is. 

7 minutes ago, Kev56 said:

The club and fans would love JT to manage Chelsea. But that is a way off. He'll have to do the basics at at a lower level learn, learn and learn, gain as much experience as he can and prove himself, then who knows.

As much as we can't stand him Gerrard made a very smart move going to Rangers first, even in a weaker league the experience of title races and high expectations will do him the world of good.

Maybe Lampard's next move should be something along them lines (Celtic maybe?), weak league or not getting that winning feeling as a young manager is priceless.

4 minutes ago, Argo said:

As much as we can't stand him Gerrard made a very smart move going to Rangers first, even in a weaker league the experience of title races and high expectations will do him the world of good.

Maybe Lampard's next move should be something along them lines (Celtic maybe?), weak league or not getting that winning feeling as a young manager is priceless.

Ahhhh noooo the thought of Frank going to that vile club, no no no.

• coco changed the title to Super Frank Lampard
  • coco unpinned this topic