Following our Nearest & Dearest Rivals 2019/20

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

@paul_tomkins: Atkinson had ignored fouls on Origi and Mané before Origi was fouled. He's a f**king disgrace. VAR then ignores what Gary Neville calls a clear foul. Liverpool have to overcome clear bias against black foreign players by refs.

What a f**king moron. 

49 minutes ago, dkw said:

The utd goal was the same as there's against us when Tammy was fouled, we were told it was a new phase of play so VAR can't call it, same as today. Yet that's being ignored because its the media darlings finally getting a decision go against them. Klopp being his usual c**t after not winning too, horrible little prick. 

Shouldn't that have also meant Azpi's goal against Liverpool counted given Mount's toenail was offside about 30 seconds beforehand?

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Shouldn't that have also meant Azpi's goal against Liverpool counted given Mount's toenail was offside about 30 seconds beforehand?

don't forget that goal discounted in the UEFA Super Cup vs dirty red scouse - couldn't tell me that Puli was offsides

I am still fuming over that one & don't forget the keeper was a yard off his line in the shootout to stop Tammy Abraham too:angry037:

3 hours ago, dkw said:

The utd goal was the same as there's against us when Tammy was fouled, we were told it was a new phase of play so VAR can't call it, same as today. Yet that's being ignored because its the media darlings finally getting a decision go against them. Klopp being his usual c**t after not winning too, horrible little prick. 

Yep pointed that out earlier, wasn't that when Maguire fouled him and Marshall scored on the other end? 

I never heard anything about that, and I'm pretty sure that was the goal that put the game to bed when we were chances away from equalising. 

You'll hear about this nonstop. 

4 hours ago, The Brit said:

Ideal result really. Utd are bang average but a win would have given them a huge lift. This keeps them well back from us. As for Liverpool, they have had to scrape a lot of results this season - many will say it’s a sign of a good team but also suggests they’re not all that. Citeh are back within 6 points and that’s a gap they overcame last season me thinks 

City were 7 points behind Liverpool at new year last season.

It's a long season. Liverpool are far from certainties of winning the title at the moment.

VAR today added more proof that it's a mess. 

How can Wood's goal for Burnley get disallowed by VAR and then United's goal today be allowed to stand? I don't think Origi was fouled by the way, he went down way too easily from a light touch, but I don't think Evans was fouled for Leicester yesterday either. It just shows that refs in this country view fouls very differently from one ref to the next. It shouldn't be this way though, they should all be following the same rule book.

Both goals should have stood. Neither of them were fouls. Evans and Wood feet clashed because of momentum and Origi basically tried to cheat.

VAR has certainly added more controversy.

I do see a difference, I agree on Origi diving to get a free kick once he realised he had contact. That did not directly lead to a goal as the ball was in Utd's half. It still needed a couple of passes.

Wood on Evans, for me is harder as Wood 'appears' to prevent Evans clearing the ball.

A point that interested the pundits was Alli and Fred playing on after the ball hits their shoulder. They agree it was a 50/50 for handball on both incidents as the rules are open to interpretation.

Good to see Klopp looking aggrieved after that well worked goal we had against them ruled out for an offside several passes before the goal was scored.

Only took 1 decision against Liverpool to get pundits beat up the VAR. It was a foul, but there were a lot happened after that, a couple of passes, sprint 50+ yards down the field, cross and goal. The VAR should and only could go back so far, otherwise we'd be reviewing 60 seconds of play for every game. So I reckon it made the right decision not to over turn the goal because there quite a lot happened after the "foul". A similar example the first goal we conceded from free kick against Liverpool a month ago, by Klopp's argument we should have been able to use VAR to argue the foul resulted the free kick, because it was a dive.

I never buy the whole Klopp is a "good" guy thing, every time a decision go against him he's going berserk, never had anything to say when he had VAR or referee going his way.

Couldn't think of anywhere else to post this. If I remember correctly there was a proposal to stop heading when children's teams play as the brain and skull are still developing. I'm not sure if that proposal was accepted by the footballing authorities.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50124102

Former professional footballers are three and a half times more likely to die of dementia than people of the same age range in the general population, according to new research.

Experts at Glasgow University have been investigating fears that heading the ball could be linked to brain injuries.

The study began after claims that former West Brom striker Jeff Astle died because of repeated head trauma.

It compared deaths of 7,676 ex-players to 23,000 from the general population.

The sample was taken from men who played professional football in Scotland between 1900 and 1976.

However, despite the dementia risk, the study also found that playing the game increased average lifespan.

The long-awaited study was commissioned by the Football Association and the Professional Footballers' Association after delays in initial research had angered Astle's family.

It began in January last year and was led by consultant neuropathologist Dr Willie Stewart, whose report said that "risk ranged from a five-fold increase in Alzheimer's disease, through an approximately four-fold increase in motor neurone disease, to a two-fold Parkinson's disease in former professional footballers compared to population controls".

Former England international Astle developed dementia and died in 2002 at the age of 59. The inquest into his death found heading heavy leather footballs repeatedly had contributed to trauma to his brain.

But research by the FA and the PFA was later dropped because of what were said to be technical flaws.

Astle's family has campaigned for the football authorities to launch a comprehensive research programme.

His daughter Dawn said she was "relieved" the study eventually went ahead, with her father's case highlighted by former England captain Alan Shearer in a BBC documentary Alan Shearer: Dementia, Football and Me.

22 hours ago, Jezz said:

City were 7 points behind Liverpool at new year last season.

It's a long season. Liverpool are far from certainties of winning the title at the moment.

Problem is, now they have the winning feeling, it's a lot easier to handle the pressure once you've started winning.

They got an absolute gold bit of luck getting a CL final against the only team with a bigger track record of freezing at crucial moments than what they do, any other team i reckon they would have found a way to lose like they did in Kiev.