Following our Nearest & Dearest Rivals 2019/20

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, MANoWAR said:

If by restraints you're referring to injuries then Chelsea are not alone in that regard... if you're alluding to referees, then well...

Transfer window wise yes, but that's not the point when looking at quality. Bruno was signed in January for example when we could sign players 

And also, nobody is saying that Chelsea haven't done very well esp. with many young players, but there is a lot of this idea that United are just some mediocre team when there are definitely arguments to be had that many parts of their squad are better than us. Conceded less, better in the xG department etc. 

They've got a stupidly easy schedule coming up (because they've played the strongest sides early on)

Well considering they've spent the most out of anyone this season is that really surprising? Yet we're still above them despite all that. 

And Chelsea have definitely had worse injuries than United have had. 

6 hours ago, MANoWAR said:

If by restraints you're referring to injuries then Chelsea are not alone in that regard... if you're alluding to referees, then well...

Transfer window wise yes, but that's not the point when looking at quality. Bruno was signed in January for example when we could sign players 

And also, nobody is saying that Chelsea haven't done very well esp. with many young players, but there is a lot of this idea that United are just some mediocre team when there are definitely arguments to be had that many parts of their squad are better than us. Conceded less, better in the xG department etc. 

They've got a stupidly easy schedule coming up (because they've played the strongest sides early on)

Eh? We're nearly 7 better off on XG!

https://understat.com/league/EPL

10 hours ago, Slojo said:

Well considering they've spent the most out of anyone this season is that really surprising? Yet we're still above them despite all that. 

And Chelsea have definitely had worse injuries than United have had. 

Again this is not a comparison of who had better transfers or spent more money... yes no sh*t to do well you usually buy better players which they've done this season. I'm speaking of the general attitude about other rivals like United that Chelsea fans haven't had to worry about them when they've established a very formidable side from the get-go. You see it very often here i.e the post from the previous page that they falter against better sides...

I don't know if Chelsea have had more out but I don't think it's significant enough to be used in a discussion of positions. United have had Pogba / Bailly out for most of the season, Matic / Shaw about a third of it, Rashford missed about 13 games, McTominay about 12 games, Martial a little bit less (all together) compared to Pulisic. Not exactly a bright situation. 

And, yes we're ahead by a few points, great, never disputed we're ahead of 'em, but the only table that matters is the one at the end of the season, esp. as we've a harder run-in. 

5 hours ago, Argo said:

Eh? We're nearly 7 better off on XG!

https://understat.com/league/EPL

I mean in the goals faced aspect - I guess xGA is the term used there (statsbomb use xG e.g. xG conceded within the context). 

Edited by MANoWAR

Btw on a separate point.. if we take the amount spent as anything, then these days it doesn't necessarily have to amount to anything. Arsenal's gross is about 400m over the past few years with a higher net spend than Chelsea but they've amounted to nothing compared to us with an overall very mediocre squad. Liverpool's net spend it pitiful compared to the other teams round us compared to what they've won since Klopp game in (92m net spend over the past few years?) yet maybe one or two teams in the world have a better XI than them? (Bayern / RM). We've spent a lot of money on duds / mediocrity over the past few years (200m+ in 17/18...). 

5 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Could be worse, they could be Wigan. 

True. Facing a 12 point deduction for going into administration. I wonder how many other clubs will face the same fate.

An exciting turn of events in the race for top four is perhaps a good enough reason to post again after a long time.

I feel that Chelsea throw too many bodies forward in attack. That's an advantage because you have a wide range of players who can score or assist, and also a disadvantage given the number of times you leave yourselves open on the counter. That's what cost you with West Ham today, along with poor decision making from your center backs. But you look threatening when on the front foot - Pulisic in particular looks really special. Overall, though, I think quite highly of Lampard's style of play. His selections are a bit bizarre at times, but he's definitely promoted young players with confidence and got Chelsea playing some very good football (at least going forward). It is only going to get better with someone of Werner's quality coming in to lead the attacks. Given the proper backing, especially in defence, you could have a better squad than Liverpool. 

United are playing with all first XI players fit after almost nine months, and our quality is showing now, I feel. But we don't have a right winger and our full backs aren't really good going forward. Maguire and Lindelof have kept a lot of clean sheets but one is extremely slow and the other is very weak in the air and in physical battles. The biggest problem for us at United is that our back ups are of extremely mediocre quality. James, Pereira and Lingard who on their best days wouldn't start for any top six club have had too much gametime this season. We're one injury to Pogba, Bruno, Martial or Rashford away from unravelling into mediocrity. 

I lurk here to read Chelsea fan opinions, and I see that you're worried about Liverpool and Wolves games. As an opposition fan, I think the Palace and Sheffield United games might be bigger banana skins.