Following our Nearest & Dearest Rivals 2019/20

I think VAR has been terribly implemented in the PL in general, and I won't deny that United have feen at the favourable end more often than not, as the stats show:

https://www.espn.in/football/english-premier-league/story/3929823/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club

This table, of course, isn't really taking decisions where VAR didn't get involved in the first place into account - quite recently the TAA stamp and Romeu's stamp come to mind (both red cards), but it more or less shows how sides like Wolves and Sheffield united have been hard done by. We have no idea how United would have fared if Zaha had rightfully earned his penalty instead of Palace conceding on the ensuing counter. (We also don't know if Southampton would have equalized with 10 men on the pitch instead of United being a man down or if United would even be so low in the table if we'd not been 'unlucky' with Pogba, Martial and Rashford's long-term injuries  - but I don't want to get into whataboutisms 😛 ). 

I'll take those 3 points - it keeps pressure on Leicester and Rashford/Martial are finding form at the right time. Now we need favours from a common ex-manager now  - I hope Kane and Son tear that makeshift Leicester defence a new one and Jose propels us into CL again, so we can field a strong side against you in the semi-final (Ole 'we're not Arsenal' Gunnar Solskjaer will start the likes of Rashford, Bruno and Maguire it nonetheless, I feel.)

Gotta agree that VAR have been quite dodgy this season... yeah both the incident yesterday and the Fernandes pen vs Villa were wrong decisions. I'm quite sure we would've spanked Villa anyway, but we didn't look sharp yesterday so who knows what would've happened if CP got a pen.

In the Soton game the Romeu ankle breaker vs Greenwood wasn't even reviewed (which imo was about as red as they come) and also a sliding challenge vs Martial that ended up with studs on the knee one or two games prior to the Southampton one wasn't reviewed either. VAR needs to become more consistent and a screen for the ref to watch for possible penalties or red cards just might have to become a thing like it is in the CL.

Edited by Bogga
27 minutes ago, Bogga said:

Gotta agree that VAR have been quite dodgy this season... yeah both the incident yesterday and the Fernandes pen vs Villa were wrong decisions. I'm quite sure we would've spanked Villa anyway, but we didn't look sharp yesterday so who knows what would've happened if CP got a pen.

In the Soton game the Romeu ankle breaker vs Greenwood wasn't even reviewed (which imo was about as red as they come) and also a sliding challenge vs Martial that ended up with studs on the knee one or two games prior to the Southampton one wasn't reviewed either. VAR needs to become more consistent and a screen for the ref to watch for possible penalties or red cards just might have to become a thing like it is in the CL.

It was a horrible challenge which should have been red-carded, but VAR did review it. There was no stoppage while it was reviewed but they did look at it, and - absurdly - decided not to call the ref's attention to it.

1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

It was a horrible challenge which should have been red-carded, but VAR did review it. There was no stoppage while it was reviewed but they did look at it, and - absurdly - decided not to call the ref's attention to it.

And that's where they should inform the ref and tell him to take a closer look at the screen...

1 hour ago, Bogga said:

And that's where they should inform the ref and tell him to take a closer look at the screen...

Of course. They failed to do that with the TAA challenge against Arsenal which should have seen a red card and a 3-match ban. Weirdly, the ref did review a very similar challenge by an Arsenal player in a previous game and actually looked at the screen . Took him one look to give a red. 

West ham have 9 wins this season and we provided two of those, if they stay up we gave them a massive hand.

Substract our 6 and they would be level on points with villa and Bournemouth.

1 hour ago, mojo said:

If Utd. wins Europa league and finishes 3rd or 4th, does that mean that 5th place also grants Champions league?

Yes, and if city win the CL. If Wolves win that f**ks it up for 5th.

Should a Premier League club win the UEFA Europa League they will automatically qualify for the group stage of next season's UEFA Champions League regardless of their league finishing position.

A maximum of five Premier League teams are eligible for UEFA Champions League qualification.

In the event that a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League and another win the UEFA Europa League and neither of these clubs finish in the top four of the Premier League, the club lying fourth in the table will drop into the UEFA Europa League group stage.

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

• coco unpinned this topic