Following our Nearest & Dearest Rivals 2019/20

I'm speechlees, I hadn't thought any EPL club would still hire Mourinho, and I had expected him to wait for the Portugal job. Still, like all of us, he has the right to take whatever job that's offered, even Spurs.

Hooefully we'll be treated to some acrimony between Levy and Mourinho.

Nothing should surprise us in football these days - but I really didn't see this one coming.

What I can't get my head around is that it wasn't long ago that Poch was one of the most sought after managers. Looked likely Real Madrid or United was his next calling and Spurs could have expected big compensation. Now they have sacked him and let him go and replaced him with a washed up guy who failed at Man Utd who they couldn't wait to get shot of him. I should think United are rubbing their hands at now not having to pay compensation and are already looking to get him in and wave goodbye to OGS - it'll just be down to timing.

My very slight fear that it could work out and Mourinho might bring some success to Spurs is FAR outweighed by the probability that the already hated club will now be even more hated and we can look forward to a complete car-crash of extremely enjoyable proportions. They deserve each other!!

Edited by Nibs
1 hour ago, Sindre said:

The problem here is that he might actually make them contenders again.

There are a lot of players in that squad that fits him well. And they are nasty to begin with, imagine them now with Mourinho at the helm.

i dont really see this. 

lloris isnt the best, probably needs replacing.

Aurier isnt a Mourinho player, 

Sessagnon is in for the glen johnson/ luke shaw treatment.

Vertonghen is a decent fit. 

Aldeweiraldand Rose want to leave. 

Sanchez is not a morinho centre back.

So the back 5 is a major issue.

Midfield and Attack, i think Mourinho has plenty to work with, but i still think alli, and lucas, could clash with him, and eriksen is off aswell. 

Massive rebuild required, especially for a manager that doesnt have a history of bringing through youth players. If there was serious money to spend, i doubt it wouldve all gone sour with pochettino. 

I think it is a desperate appointment. Mourinho had to get something in England, snd spurs needed to make a change, whilst still looking to be improving. 

I could be wrong, he could be a massive success, but i feel as if this one will be over within 18 months. Too many big players need replacing, and levy hasnt shown enough amnition in the transfer market, and we know how mourinho gets when he doesnt get the players he wants.

2 hours ago, Argo said:

You just know he's going to get Alli, Dier and Vertonghen to do everything to get in our lads head, especially the young one's. Luckily Frank will be aware of that and all the tricks Jose pulls and should prepare them accordingly, maybe by getting Rudi, Kova, Pedro and Jorginho to play the roles of sh*thouse players in training.

Luckily he's only familiar with a few players here, with United he knows a lot more of their players and will know who to man mark. I think he'll do well with them on the bounce, but after that I have strong doubts, Jose hasn't been anywhere where he hasn't had a good budget to spend, he'll hate the idea of being able to just buy one marquee player a season. Can you imagine how much money Jose will want to spend in the summer for Spurs? He'll want about 300 million overhaul, he won't get it. 

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

The problem here is that he might actually make them contenders again.

There are a lot of players in that squad that fits him well. And they are nasty to begin with, imagine them now with Mourinho at the helm.

Very doubtful, I imagine he'll have a good bounce with them, and they'll probably go on a bit of a run this season but I really can't see him benefiting Spurs in the long term or get them challenging, if he does I'll be massively impressed. 

For me Jose is past it, his style of football doesn't work anymore. He had about 600 million to spend at United and he's somehow convinced many neutrals and United supporters that he overachieved, a load of nonsense, Mourinho signed a player for every single position besides GK and almost every one of them was a flop besides Zlatan. United look worse now than they did before Van Gaal took the helm, he took them backwards despite spending that much money. United fans can't place 100% of the blame on Woodward, he gave Jose more than enough money to spend. 

As much as people want to criticise Klopp and Pep for spending, they at least sign good players, Jose signed nothing but utter sh*te and couldn't get good performances out of the youngsters. 

Edited by Slojo
11 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Luckily he's only familiar with a few players here, with United he knows a lot more of their players and will know who to man mark. I think he'll do well with them on the bounce, but after that I have strong doubts, Jose hasn't been anywhere where he hasn't had a good budget to spend, he'll hate the idea of being able to just buy one marquee player a season. Can you imagine how much money Jose will want to spend in the summer for Spurs? He'll want about 300 million overhaul, he won't get it. 

With all due respect, he won the Champions League with Porto. Personally I believe that Jose could have done a great job in a less demanding domestic league, considering that for Bayern the Bundesliga is like a walk in the park, Jose could have created a strong Champions League squad there for example.

I think that we should never underestimate our rivals, specially if they get this kind of ally in Jose that will most likely focus the most of his energy and time to prepare against us. Spurs KNOW who they hired, we shouldn't be so fast in thinking that Jose won't get what he wants, maybe he agreed to the job after those things were already discussed.

1 minute ago, Gol15 said:

With all due respect, he won the Champions League with Porto. Personally I believe that Jose could have done a great job in a less demanding domestic league, considering that for Bayern the Bundesliga is like a walk in the park, Jose could have created a strong Champions League squad there for example.

I think that we should never underestimate our rivals, specially if they get this kind of ally in Jose that will most likely focus the most of his energy and time to prepare against us. Spurs KNOW who they hired, we shouldn't be so fast in thinking that Jose won't get what he wants, maybe he agreed to the job after those things were already discussed.

That was years ago, the Mourinho of last decade is nothing to the Mourinho of this decade. Although he did a good job with Madrid in his 2nd season, it ended in absolute disaster, same in his 2nd stint here and at United it was a complete sh*tshow altogether, besides the Lidle Treble that he won, he massively underachieved at that club. 

If this was Mourinho from over 10 years ago I would agree, but football has changed. Jose still doesn't like playing with wingbacks, right now wingbacks are instrumental to almost every teams attacking play, it isn't just the pragmatisim of Mourinho that's out of date. It's how he operates, he can't get away with being the big boss man anymore like he could years ago, at United he had revolt after revolt and the players won, the players always win now. He'll have players like Dier starting and playing 180 minutes a week because he runs around and works hard. 

6 minutes ago, Slojo said:

That was years ago, the Mourinho of last decade is nothing to the Mourinho of this decade. Although he did a good job with Madrid in his 2nd season, it ended in absolute disaster, same in his 2nd stint here and at United it was a complete sh*tshow altogether, besides the Lidle Treble that he won, he massively underachieved at that club. 

If this was Mourinho from over 10 years ago I would agree, but football has changed. Jose still doesn't like playing with wingbacks, right now wingbacks are instrumental to almost every teams attacking play, it isn't just the pragmatisim of Mourinho that's out of date. It's how he operates, he can't get away with being the big boss man anymore like he could years ago, at United he had revolt after revolt and the players won, the players always win now. He'll have players like Dier starting and playing 180 minutes a week because he runs around and works hard. 

Actually I think he will be a centre back under Jose as Jose prefers a back four.

It will be interesting to see how he sets out and who he encourages as he always gets a new tune out of a couple of players.

4 minutes ago, Slojo said:

It doesn't matter that it was 10 years ago, he does know how to win when he is under the radar and nobody expects Spuds to win ever.

You said he always needed a big budget, never said anything about any time frame, so winning Champions League with Porto is always going to be the main reason why he made such a career, he didn't actually spend a lot of money in Inter Milan either. I agree that he hasn't been showing any real results in his last job but we must not underestimate Spurs, specially not now! It was him that ended up signing Ashley Cole, he made Maicon a world class full-back, he switched Ramos away from the full-back position he obviously knows some things and most of all he always knew how to make a good target man work, with Diego Costa, with Milito and so on...He will have Harry Kane now and this whole squad of Spuds that were already used to be dirty, this will only multiply now.

29 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

It doesn't matter that it was 10 years ago, he does know how to win when he is under the radar and nobody expects Spuds to win ever.

You said he always needed a big budget, never said anything about any time frame, so winning Champions League with Porto is always going to be the main reason why he made such a career, he didn't actually spend a lot of money in Inter Milan either. I agree that he hasn't been showing any real results in his last job but we must not underestimate Spurs, specially not now! It was him that ended up signing Ashley Cole, he made Maicon a world class full-back, he switched Ramos away from the full-back position he obviously knows some things and most of all he always knew how to make a good target man work, with Diego Costa, with Milito and so on...He will have Harry Kane now and this whole squad of Spuds that were already used to be dirty, this will only multiply now.

Why could he not replicate that success in player develpment and recruitment at united, with pretty much an open cheque book. 

He isnt the same guy that won the champions league with porto, he is still a good manager, but his track record in the last 5 seasons, makes me optimistic he will fail at spurs. 

He was world class in his pomp, but he looks on a downward trajectory these days. 

14 minutes ago, big blue said:

Why could he not replicate that success in player develpment and recruitment at united, with pretty much an open cheque book. 

He isnt the same guy that won the champions league with porto, he is still a good manager, but his track record in the last 5 seasons, makes me optimistic he will fail at spurs. 

He was world class in his pomp, but he looks on a downward trajectory these days. 

Had he replicated any of his success in manU, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
But he's still the same guy that did all of that, show me someone that has a picture perfect track record? It's up to us not to underestimate Spurs, with or without Jose but specially with Jose, at this point he has so much to gain just by winning 1 game against us.

3 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Had he replicated any of his success in manU, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
But he's still the same guy that did all of that, show me someone that has a picture perfect track record? It's up to us not to underestimate Spurs, with or without Jose but specially with Jose, at this point he has so much to gain just by winning 1 game against us.

But he didn't, mainly because in the present day he just isn't that good.

He's almost like the manager version of Torres, lost the plot at the club he made his name at and from then on he's just been average with people making excuses and reaches for him trying to convince themselves he can recreate former glories when the harsh truth is he's finished in terms of the very very top.

Historically he's one of the best, in terms of active managers in 2019 there's tens if not hundreds of managers I'd choose before even taking a second glance at Mou.

4 minutes ago, Argo said:

But he didn't, mainly because in the present day he just isn't that good.

He's almost like the manager version of Torres, lost the plot at the club he made his name at and from then on he's just been average with people making excuses and reaches for him trying to convince themselves he can recreate former glories when the harsh truth is he's finished in terms of the very very top.

Historically he's one of the best, in terms of active managers in 2019 there's tens if not hundreds of managers I'd choose before even taking a second glance at Mou.

I feel the same way, but if he actually starts winning what then? December 22, the day we must win, there is no other option.

• coco unpinned this topic