On 05/11/2019 at 22:47, Argo said:

I think he's been very poor since the last international break if I'm honest.

If Ruben was fit he'd be having some time out.

A bit harsh to say he's been very poor. Gone off the boil for sure, but not as bad as you say.

Imo,  a bit of rest and a goal is all he needs. But no doubt, a fit and in form Loftus is the better player.

I think he has played well, and I think we'll notice the difference when he's out of the team. Only issue I have is that he has been playing a lot deeper lately, I like when he's playing further forward like a shadow striker. 

I find he at minimum brings energy and enthusiasm to the team, leading by example with our high press and encouraging/bollocking the senior players that seemingly can’t be arsed. 

As said above he's more influential when playing further forward, looks a bit out of his depth at left centre mid has to be said - though decent cover until Kante is fit again. Fwiw I think he's more suited to 4-1-4-1 (gives him licence to worry less about the defensive phase).

Edited by the special one

I'm hoping England don't play him much during the international break. If anything, I would have preferred him to sit out today and us declare him injured for the international break. He could do with a game off to give himself a refresh. I was actually very surprised he played today after the way he limped off on Tuesday.

2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I'm hoping England don't play him much during the international break. If anything, I would have preferred him to sit out today and us declare him injured for the international break. He could do with a game off to give himself a refresh. 

Yeah, he could do with a rest I feel.

And TBF Maddison does deserve to make his England debut so that could work in our favour.

I think he's been playing really well recently. 

He's one of those players though that doesn't get noticed for the work he does. Which is hustle and win the ball back up the pitch and move the ball around. 

Lampard obviously loves what he does which indicates he's doing exactly what he's asked. 

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

He's one of those players though that doesn't get noticed for the work he does. Which is hustle and win the ball back up the pitch and move the ball around. 

Lampard obviously loves what he does which indicates he's doing exactly what he's asked. 

Agreed. I think he's the player we wanted/thought we had in Oscar. 

On 09/11/2019 at 16:50, bisright1 said:

Agreed, I really feel Mount sets the tempo of the team, with his attitude, press, and all round hustle and bustle of his game, that's before we even speak about his creativity and goal scoring threat

Almost a goal for Mount there, his first for England but a fraction offside. Hasn’t done a lot tonight but it can’t be easy playing with Rashford outside you.

On 09/11/2019 at 18:14, Crapbag said:

Agreed. I think he's the player we wanted/thought we had in Oscar. 

I'd say he's incredibly similar to Oscar.

Really good when he's playing well, but quite anonymous if not. Still offers a good work rate when off the ball though.

27 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Really good when he's playing well, but quite anonymous if not. Still offers a good work rate when off the ball though.

That's a comparison that covers every player ever born.

55 minutes ago, coco said:

That's a comparison that covers every player ever born.

Point still stands, as far as skill set and what he brings to the team, Mount is very similar to Oscar. 

I think in those early games Mount was exceptional, his determination to drive forward eliminated any negativity in the dressing room and got us moving up the table. 

Being young and playing in a demanding role makes me wonder whether he will fade as the season progresses yet even if that happens we should not forget his early contribution, IMO. 

On 15/11/2019 at 18:16, RIP Mourinho said:

I somewhat agree. He's what Oscar should have been if Jose didn't focus too much on defending

i think the above posts are very undermining of his role in the team.. I think we have to analyse his role in a more team game rather than individual contribution alone..breaking it down... 

If you look at our play so far there is a clear pattern that emerges - The idea is to give every ball player two passing options with the movement.

When we play through the center.. One of Tammy or Mount needs to come towards the receiver while the other creates space for him by making the run behind..  Mount's ability to take the ball on the half turn or a good first touch together with a good strike on him makes him ideal for this role. 

when we go wide .. it really depends on the positioning of our FBs.. if they are pressing high up.. mount essentially is acting as the second striker... and on the other hand if the FBs are in a more defensive phase.. mount links with the wide player.. 

from what i have seen in the last few games teams have crowed the middle meaning that more often than not Mount has found himself in the wider areas... considering Pusilic is still growing into the role i dont think him and Pusilic have built the understanding yet.. once that happens Mount's output will increase... 

But the bottom line is to play in this way requires tactical awareness and technical ability that none of Barkley, Kante or Kovacic can replace...   at the top level off the ball running as is as important as with the ball which this lad does perfectly.

Mason Mount exemplifies what happens when we give our youth time and patience to grow as a player. Can't believe he's only 20!