Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

Goal aside I don't think he's been impressive at all for weeks now, I also think his defensive aspect are very overrated. 

I'll agree that he has games that just seem to pass him by a bit but yesterday he was key to everything and our MOTM by a country mile.

It's the other two midfielders who really need to up their game and start contributing more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nibs said:

I'll agree that he has games that just seem to pass him by a bit but yesterday he was key to everything and our MOTM by a country mile.

It's the other two midfielders who really need to up their game and start contributing more.

ALL midfielders need to start contributing more. Mount imo has been the best out of a bad bunch. Don't get me wrong I'm very glad he came up with the goal at the end, but I wasn't impressed with his performance that day besides the goal. And that's his 2nd league goal of the season, so lets not pretend that's something you can always rely on with Mount. 

The likes of Kovacic and Jorginho I completely agree, them two are not playing good enough and shouldn't be playing. But that doesn't give Mount a pass, the midfield in particular are letting the side down, lack of ideas and lethargic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the game is becoming more and more for athletes and Mount is not in that league which might be a problem under a future manager.

Watching from a stream you cannot always see enough of the game yet one thing stands out, he is the only midfield player to play through the middle to create a direct threat on goal the others seem to be part of this back and forth passing game  which is like, 'Wax on, wax off. Wax on, wax off'.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Players seem to be getting bigger and faster with the odd exception of a Messi or Hazard.

Theres plenty of smaller players in all the teams to be fair. Foden at City, Fernandes at Utd, Thiago at Liverpool, the Arsenal children etc...I dont think Mounts physical attributes will ever be a problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dkw said:

Theres plenty of smaller players in all the teams to be fair. Foden at City, Fernandes at Utd, Thiago at Liverpool, the Arsenal children etc...I dont think Mounts physical attributes will ever be a problem.

Don't get me wrong I like Mount, it's just when I see him playing I reminded of that expression, 'busting a gut' so many times.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2021 at 17:47, Slojo said:

ALL midfielders need to start contributing more. Mount imo has been the best out of a bad bunch. Don't get me wrong I'm very glad he came up with the goal at the end, but I wasn't impressed with his performance that day besides the goal. And that's his 2nd league goal of the season, so lets not pretend that's something you can always rely on with Mount. 

The likes of Kovacic and Jorginho I completely agree, them two are not playing good enough and shouldn't be playing. But that doesn't give Mount a pass, the midfield in particular are letting the side down, lack of ideas and lethargic. 

Created 7 chances  as well as his goal. Not sure what else he can do if others don't convert them

Edited by charierre
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Rising Sun said:

Mount brings energy and commitment to the team sadly lacking elsewhere.

That's non-sense. His style of play isn't particularly beautiful but he constantly creates chances and with a bit of luck would have had plenty of goals already. He is also good at set pieces. Not sure what else you expect a midfielder to do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reparto corse said:

That's non-sense. His style of play isn't particularly beautiful but he constantly creates chances and with a bit of luck would have had plenty of goals already. He is also good at set pieces. Not sure what else you expect a midfielder to do?

Lol, I was actually praising him, I meant that his energy etc is lacking elsewhere in the other team members !

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Slojo said:

What 7 chances? Name each one. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, charierre said:

 

 

5 chances were created from corners, the other 2 from outside of the box layoffs. Kovacic also created just as many layoffs to Ziyech outside the box. Is that really what we're talking about when it comes to creating chances?

https://hoofoot.com/?match=Fulham_0_-_1_Chelsea_2021_01_16

Nobody is criticising our set pieces this season, our delivery has been good. But from open play, nobody is creating chances through the middle. "Created 7 chances" makes it sound as though he has played people in, from open play he isn't creating any chances besides the flick on to Giroud in the 70th minute which was offside, so I'm not sure if that counts. 

We've still got a problem in the middle when it comes to creativity. 

 

Edited by Slojo
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

All 7 chances were created from corners. 

https://hoofoot.com/?match=Fulham_0_-_1_Chelsea_2021_01_16

Nobody is criticising our set pieces this season, our delivery has been good. But from open play, nobody is creating chances through the middle. "Created 7 chances" makes it sound as though he has played people in, from open play he isn't creating any chances besides the flick on to Giroud in the 70th minute which was offside, so I'm not sure if that counts. 

We've still got a problem in the middle when it comes to creativity. 

 

Girouds shot in the first half?

for one other i can think of. This is my final say on it you asked for proof there you are. Stop knocking the lad he has been our most consistent player this year and just 22. He is young will make mistakes ,have quieter games but the one thing he always does is put in a shift for the team, a good solid 7 average for most games( even in the past half dozen games in most stats pages).

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, charierre said:

Girouds shot in the first half?

for one other i can think of. This is my final say on it you asked for proof there you are. Stop knocking the lad he has been our most consistent player this year and just 22. He is young will make mistakes ,have quieter games but the one thing he always does is put in a shift for the team, a good solid 7 average for most games( even in the past half dozen games in most stats pages).

So you expect Giroud to score from that "chance"? He had to take it from the outside of his left foot from outside the box? 

image.thumb.png.2dec57b20604f6b2a2d05432e7cca460.png

Kovacic did just about the same then if we're talking about chances from open play judging by the chances created stats. Ziyech had two shots outside the box that were passes from Kovacic. I wouldn't call either of them chances, but whatever metric is applied by that tweet you just posted, that's a chance apparently. 

Edited by Slojo
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Slojo said:

5 chances were created from corners, the other 2 from outside of the box layoffs. Kovacic also created just as many layoffs to Ziyech outside the box. Is that really what we're talking about when it comes to creating chances?

https://hoofoot.com/?match=Fulham_0_-_1_Chelsea_2021_01_16

Nobody is criticising our set pieces this season, our delivery has been good. But from open play, nobody is creating chances through the middle. "Created 7 chances" makes it sound as though he has played people in, from open play he isn't creating any chances besides the flick on to Giroud in the 70th minute which was offside, so I'm not sure if that counts. 

We've still got a problem in the middle when it comes to creativity. 

 

We spent years feeling little to no hope of doing anything from a corner so i wouldn't readily dismiss creating 5 chances from them. Furthermore every player is judged on the same metrics and from a creative standpoint only Fernandes and KDB are ahead of him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Argo said:

We spent years feeling little to no hope of doing anything from a corner so i wouldn't readily dismiss creating 5 chances from them. Furthermore every player is judged on the same metrics and from a creative standpoint only Fernandes and KDB are ahead of him.

I'm not dismissing it, I'm saying that despite the excellent corner taking, he's still not the answer to our problems in the midfield when it comes to creativity. I think the "7 chances created" is very misleading, because I can't even remember us creating 7 chances against Fulham, especially by just one player. 

I guess we all have different standards for what constitutes as a "chance", personally, I don't class that shot Giroud had in the first half as a chance. If Giroud scores that, it's goal of the month. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2021 at 10:19, coco said:

Frank Lampard on Mason Mount: "He turned 22 last week. I came to Chelsea at 22, and I wasn't blowing the world away in my first year or so, I was finding my feet, but Mason already has so many games under his belt."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12189607/frank-lampard-mason-mount-outstanding-for-chelsea-and-deserves-praise

I’d rather have a player that can slowly develop into a Frank Lampard than the many that seem to burst on to the scene, score a few goals then fade to obscurity like many other teams seem to get.  

18 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Mount isn't an athlete? He's got the most stamina of anyone in the squad. I'm confused. 

Apart from Kante who never stops. Little known fact; he sleeps upright on a treadmill. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mount is the most important player for Lampard.

It's essential that Mount plays well if we are to have a chance to win a game, any game. Mount can do nothing for 5 games in a row but he's still the machine of the team, the only player we can't drop part from T.Silva/Mendy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Munkworth said:

I’d rather have a player that can slowly develop into a Frank Lampard than the many that seem to burst on to the scene, score a few goals then fade to obscurity like many other teams seem to get.  

Apart from Kante who never stops. Little known fact; he sleeps upright on a treadmill. 

There are no guarantees he will ever become as good as Lamps though. He is the least of our problems in midfield, but to be fair he has been underwhelming this season when you consider he has taken over as our dead ball specialist from Willian. His return has poor in comparison to last season, could be the 2nd season dip most young players seem to go through (see Greenwood). 
For me on current form when you consider England’s U21 midfield talents (he is 22 now), he is way behind Foden, and Smith Rowe shades it for me /creativity & output wise. In an ideal world he wouldn’t be starting so much games, but that is on Lamps and our slim midfield options. Like I said, least of our problems in the middle of the park. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mount has been solid this season, great against fulham. I wouldnt say he has been spectacular though, like everyone else he was pretty poor in that patch in December. 

I critised him in the summer, for his lack of output, but ive come round to the opinion that he just isnt that sort of player. I do think his overall vision, and awareness have definitely improved this year. He has played some exquisite passes, like the cho assist away at rennes, and the one he put across to werner in the second half against leeds. 

He has got the final killer ball in his locker but he is isnt that creative lynchpin, and to be honest, with the players we have brought in, we dont even need him to be. 

I like the way he is developing, I like he is turning into the real heart beat of the team, and i think when he plays deeper, he has a bigger effect the game, as he drops almost into that left back position, and it gives him time to get his head up, and play clever balls in between the lines, or go for a big cross field switch of play. 

He has excellent shooting technique, and think he will become a very big weapon from range, and id like to see him shoot more from distance. 

I also think his set pieces have been excellent  this season, almost every ball is in the right area. 

Overall i find it very hard to dislike Mount, he is still very young, but as lampard said yesterday, imagine the player he could be at 25. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!