Read an article last year after the Bayern Munich spanking where Mount was quoted in saying how difficult he found playing against Thiago, how he was always a step or 2 ahead of him in midfield and he at times felt like a headless chicken running around.

How things have changed in 1 year, he has hugely developed and came up against Thiago on a few occasions last night and was all over him. Mount's most impressive attribute is not just his footballing ability but his ability to learn and develop as a player, he is completely different player in comparison to the one who started last season against United.

2 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

Read an article last year after the Bayern Munich spanking where Mount was quoted in saying how difficult he found playing against Thiago, how he was always a step or 2 ahead of him in midfield and he at times felt like a headless chicken running around.

How things have changed in 1 year, he has hugely developed and came up against Thiago on a few occasions last night and was all over him. Mount's most impressive attribute is not just his footballing ability but his ability to learn and develop as a player, he is completely different player in comparison to the one who started last season against United.

That's a great observation that Imran. 

This season I've seen a great improvement, even the Twitter trolls aren't giving him abuse anymore. 

He made Thiago's life very difficult that game, played in some great balls towards Chilwell and Werner, what he does best though is carry the ball. Still areas he needs to improve on in his attacking play, but overall, great performance. 

Especially when you put into context that our own youth player who cost nothing is out performing the 200-300 million we've spent on attackers. 

Imagine at the tail end of last year, and for a lot of this season a lot of our own fans on this board were saying he wasn't good enough. For me he's our best player, he's the one guy that makes us tick going forward. Everything about his game is good, the energy, the pressing, the quality on the ball, his decision making, and now also his dribbling and running at players is getting so good. 

Yesterday was another masterclass from him, and he topped it off with a sublime goal. What's impressed me most is he's playing as a 10 under Tuchel, and he hasn't looked out of place, he looks so natural. 

Mason has been fantastic, what I have loved the most is his ability to dribble past players at times, as well as beat a man. You need players in the team like this to unlock stubborn defenses or teams that sit deep.

This guy is just getting better and better and he is starting to ooze class.

15 hours ago, Slojo said:

Funny if true

Edit: Turns out it is, just fact checked it. Mason and Ben sit behind Zouma on the plane and he's always watching Cartoons. I don't know why, it's just funny! 

Life is good when your favourite players start busting out Dragon ball z  goal celebrations. Very weird feeling being old and young enough to get the reference how times have changed 😂

7 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Life is good when your favourite players start busting out Dragon ball z  goal celebrations. Very weird feeling being old and young enough to get the reference how times have changed 😂

Yeahhh, about getting that reference....:blush2:

He was fantastic yesterday! One thing that I don’t think is mentioned enough is how good his touch is. There were some passes absolutely rifled at him yesterday, and the ball just deadens on his foot. Reminds me of Hazard in that regard. And then when you add that drop of the shoulder and turn, it’s almost unstoppable.

I just love his attitude and work rate and it seems like every manager that has had him feels the same way. He’s great on the field but I would argue that his leadership and attitude will be an even greater asset to the team for years to come. 

17 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

This might seem like I am being a bit harsh, but I thought we saw both sides of masons game tonight against Liverpool

Amazing engine, seemed to be everywhere, fabulous finish. Cant fault for that side....

...but then i thought he was also incredibly wasteful at times. And I don't mean that he always lost the ball or gave it away, but that he doesn't see opportunities to play people in, holds the ball slightly too long, final ball slightly off/behind/in front.

There was one opportunity, at 1v0 up, that we broke forward with mason on the ball, fairly central, and bearing down on the Liverpool goal. Werner made a fantastic run, pulled off into space, that begged for a little slide rule through ball, to put him through 1 on 1. It wasn't a very hard pass, and it was clear, right in front of mason.  Instead, he chose to hold the ball slightly too long, then played it wide left to Chillwell. That is one example, of something he does far too often.  He really needs to improve his vision, awareness of whats ahead and not take too long on the ball.

Again, sounds harsh, as he just won us the game, but it could have been more had he made better decisions.

FYI  - Mason is my fav player at the moment. Love the guy, and is consistently our best player. But he can be better!

Yeah think that is harsh.

Thought he was superb last night and won us the game. Sure, he doesn't get it right EVERY time but he did so much good last night and linked up well with everyone, especially Werner. 

I am more concerned about Chilwell to be honest as I thought he was pretty wasteful a number of times and his crossing was poor.

1 hour ago, Nibs said:

Thought he was superb last night and won us the game. Sure, he doesn't get it right EVERY time but he did so much good last night and linked up well with everyone, especially Werner. 

I am more concerned about Chilwell to be honest as I thought he was pretty wasteful a number of times and his crossing was poor.

Yeah, I know harsh, and acknowledge he won us the game. Cracking player, but,  it is not a one off that he fails to pick out the runs of those ahead of him, and last night was no different.  

He has been doing that for a while now. And it is usually with Timo. The nature of Werners game, on the shoulder waiting to run in behind, really needs those deeper to think quick, see the runs and play it forward - and mason is one of those who is most guilty of failing to spot these runs. 

Last nights example I have was a glaring one, and even the commentary team were I was watching picked up on it. Just needed a little slide rule through ball, and timo was in. Instead, played out to chillwell, who was wasteful (on this specific occasion and in general last night)

2 hours ago, Valerie said:

Yeahhh, about getting that reference....:blush2:

To be fair Val, neither do I. I just find it funny because Kurt Zouma is the last person I would expect watching Cartoons on the plane every week. I just pictued Chilwell and Mason pissing themselves behind him, I thought it was a great bit of fun they were all in on. 

Those who were so harsh on a 21-22yr old academy graduate who gives his all for the team have always been imbeciles. As soon as I read those sorts of comments I've alway just thought "twat". 

The improvement in Mount's game though has been stunning. Could always see he had a lot of talent but he's gone from losing most 50/50's and looking a little lightweight, to being a beast who doesn't lose the ball even in the most pressured areas of the pitch. What a player we have on our hands!!

13 hours ago, Nibs said:

Same age as Lampard was when we signed him. From memory, Frank was a bit behind him development wise.

18 hours ago, Oli said:

Imagine at the tail end of last year, and for a lot of this season a lot of our own fans on this board were saying he wasn't good enough. For me he's our best player, he's the one guy that makes us tick going forward. Everything about his game is good, the energy, the pressing, the quality on the ball, his decision making, and now also his dribbling and running at players is getting so good. 

Yesterday was another masterclass from him, and he topped it off with a sublime goal. What's impressed me most is he's playing as a 10 under Tuchel, and he hasn't looked out of place, he looks so natural. 

Completely agree Oli. You only have to go back a few weeks on this thread to see some of those comments.

https://www.theshedend.com/topic/33211-mason-mount/page/44/#comments