Mason Mount

Argo

Big, big players change games. Sometimes they do ot by being unplayable brilliant form first minute to last, an impenetrable wall like Kante was.

Other times they are not noticed for long periods, only to play a match winning pass, just as Mason did. He stepped up in the one moment we needed his best. Great season Mason, once and future captain!

It's funny, Mount seems to be loved by the media and pundits. It's odd to see a Chelsea player get that kind of treatment. 

I always used to think Lampard wasn't appreciated by the media when he was playing, it was always Gerrard or Scholes that got the praise. It's only now that he has retired that Lampard gets recognition for his achievements.

9 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

It's funny, Mount seems to be loved by the media and pundits. It's odd to see a Chelsea player get that kind of treatment. 

I always used to think Lampard wasn't appreciated by the media when he was playing, it was always Gerrard or Scholes that got the praise. It's only now that he has retired that Lampard gets recognition for his achievements.

Makes you think an actual number of the pundits are real England fans.

They want Southgate to pick him.

On 01/06/2021 at 01:18, Scott Harris said:

Think it is because he came through from the juniors and has a great attitude.  

They see his workrate too, unusual in modern British kids.

5 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Think it is because he came through from the juniors and has a great attitude.  

They see his workrate too, unusual in modern British kids.

Yeah the knock on Frank (which was untrue) was that he just scored tap-ins and penalties where Scholes and Gerrard were more complete. 

Mount's workrate without the ball is something else. He probably has a bit of work to do to score more and defend better in deeper spots to become truly elite but he's certainly on his way.

Streets ahead in terms of consistency of other young midfielders too. Imagine if RLC had his consistency or workrate 😔

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

Maybe the most complete player of his generation

I was one of the people who after last season thought that he wouldn't be more than a squad player for us in the long run, but boy was I wrong. He was absolutely massive for us this season, and if he continues to improve at the rate he is doing at the moment then sky is the limit for him. On top of being a brilliant footballer he has a top attitude and has turned into a leader in this team.

Future captain indeed 🙌

i think from last season to this season the biggest change was his strength on the ball and confidence to take on people.. For this season i would want him to build on his ability to control games more.. i think this season at times he has faded away in the second half.. maybe due to the number of games he played.. but next season i would want him to take more responsibility to decide games...

4 hours ago, Jangz said:

i think from last season to this season the biggest change was his strength on the ball and confidence to take on people.. For this season i would want him to build on his ability to control games more.. i think this season at times he has faded away in the second half.. maybe due to the number of games he played.. but next season i would want him to take more responsibility to decide games...

For me it would be trying to be more productive. His finishing can be a bit dodgy at times, and while his pass in the CL final was great he could provide the final pass more often.

11 hours ago, True Blue23 said:

I was one of the people who after last season thought that he wouldn't be more than a squad player for us in the long run, but boy was I wrong. He was absolutely massive for us this season, and if he continues to improve at the rate he is doing at the moment then sky is the limit for him. On top of being a brilliant footballer he has a top attitude and has turned into a leader in this team.

Future captain indeed 🙌

I also thought physically he would fade through the season too.

Glad to see that has not happened and he has maintained good form throughout.

3 hours ago, True Blue23 said:

For me it would be trying to be more productive. His finishing can be a bit dodgy at times, and while his pass in the CL final was great he could provide the final pass more often.

yeah.. i think that is an area where over the season i have seen a massive improvement.. but the other thing i like in that area is unlike say a Gerrard he doesnt try a hollywood pass everytime.. but i think he has it in his locker to do it more.. having said that he has started doing it more and more now..

No massive complaints about that team (over the course of the season), although I think Martinez and Tielemans will probably feel a bit hard done by.

Mount probably wasn't helped by his being shifted around positionally. Hard to argue that he's been a greater creative force as a midfielder than Fernandes or De Bruyne, also hard to argue that he's as obviously effective an attacker as Son, Salah or Kane.

While we were obviously brilliant in Europe, our league form was pretty indifferent. Unless you post exceptional attacking numbers (like Kane/Son) or attract media attention for whatever reason (usually by being English), it's unlikely you are going to stand out in a relatively ordinary team.

It's also worth noting that the PFA awards are voted for by the players, who you would think would be less likely to be duped by hype or superficiality.

18 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

No massive complaints about that team (over the course of the season), although I think Martinez and Tielemans will probably feel a bit hard done by.

Mount probably wasn't helped by his being shifted around positionally. Hard to argue that he's been a greater creative force as a midfielder than Fernandes or De Bruyne, also hard to argue that he's as obviously effective an attacker as Son, Salah or Kane.

While we were obviously brilliant in Europe, our league form was pretty indifferent. Unless you post exceptional attacking numbers (like Kane/Son) or attract media attention for whatever reason (usually by being English), it's unlikely you are going to stand out in a relatively ordinary team.

It's also worth noting that the PFA awards are voted for by the players, who you would think would be less likely to be duped by hype or superficiality.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some behind the scenes on this and they get handed a sheet to vote on in the dressing room, some players just don't care much and go for 'obvious' choices and be done with it.