Jump to content

Mason Mount


Argo
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Is Kai the new Jorginho for you? :biggrin:

I think it’s easy to forget that a lot of our players are still essentially youngster because they’ve been in the first team for so long.
 

Mason seems like a guy who’ll know his weaknesses and work on them - I’m pretty sure most of the young players will be the same or they wouldn’t be in our first team. 

Hey don't you label me now we're friends!

I'm not against Mount at all, if I'm honest I probably did think that the fans should have waited for that banner when Mount actually was in the starting lineup though, for the proper hype and all that goes with it... The only thing I don't like is that FIFA thinks Mount is lightweight or something, not sure what is going on there...

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Mason had an off day yesterday, but he is still by far our best AM. He creates over twice as many chances compared to Havertz, Pulisic and Ziyech, think he was number 4 or 5 in the league last season. He is alot more involved in our linkup play compared to the others and still have a higher pass accuracy %. He also does by far the most defensive work in our attack, with his pressing and ball recovery high up the pitch. 

In my opinion Mount and Lukaku are my prefered options in attack, with Havertz and Werner rotating for that third spot. Pulisic can also compete if he can discover his best form. Ziyech have been poor and is my current 5th choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 None of  havertz or mount or Werner have really delivered in terms of assists or goals yet for me they all compensate one way or another so that the whole is better than the parts.  My guess is that Havertz will develop the most but it’s for sure only a hunch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ducavis said:

High level shooting & assists level where? 6 goals & 5 assists in 32 PL starts, & 2 goals & 2 assists in 9 CL starts is nowhere near high. It is actually average for a player starting in the band of 3 for a top 4 club. 
I agree with Ozboy that his stats aren’t good enough but he gets loads of passes for his off the ball running and pressing, which isn’t a metric you judge a player in that role on. Personally think he is playing far too high up the pitch, and would be better in the middle of the park in a mid 3.

By high level I didn't mean numbers, I meant quality of the assist/strike. 3 assists stick in my mind from last season which were such a high level most players wouldn't be able to pull them off - The assist for Hudson-Odoi away at Rennes, to Havertz at home to Fulham and obviously Havertz in the biggest occasion of them all the champions league final. Great strikes include the freekick he scored against Wolves when we needed to win to secure champions league footy. Mount's ceiling is so high - brilliant talent. The consistency will come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/09/2021 at 19:23, STATS said:

Mount was used in all different positions too. Started the season at LW, then RW, then CM then AM. There are many other players who are top players by 27/28 who are no better stats wise than Mount was at same age.

Isn’t the issue then that he is a jack of all trades but a master of none? I agree he has loads of potential but he needs to nail down a position for his own personal development. I feel he might need to go the Rashford route and publicly state his positional preference. Ever since Rashford stated his preference was to be a winger, Southgate and Ole have stopped moving him around the pitch.
 

Lampard, Southgate and Tuchel have all played him in different positions  (CM, B2B, LW, RW, AM, even played as a CF) because of his high energy levels, but I feel they are doing him a disservice in the long run. Who is to say the next manager after Tuchel doesn’t go to a back 4? Where does that leave Mount in the grand scheme of things?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, ducavis said:

Isn’t the issue then that he is a jack of all trades but a master of none? I agree he has loads of potential but he needs to nail down a position for his own personal development. I feel he might need to go the Rashford route and publicly state his positional preference. Ever since Rashford stated his preference was to be a winger, Southgate and Ole have stopped moving him around the pitch.
 

Lampard, Southgate and Tuchel have all played him in different positions  (CM, B2B, LW, RW, AM, even played as a CF) because of his high energy levels, but I feel they are doing him a disservice in the long run. Who is to say the next manager after Tuchel doesn’t go to a back 4? Where does that leave Mount in the grand scheme of things?

These days players are no longer fixed to a steady position because football has moved beyond formations to be fair.

Modern coaches like Pep, Klopp and Tuchel don't really have fixed formations but rather formations that suits a philosophy. Mount at his core is a box to box midfield but his qualities makes him suitable to be an attacking midfielder. He's more of a Gerrard than he is a Lampard tbh

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Ok, clearly spent too much time with the England team.  Get some rest and play his game again. Trying to hard and everything is just off.  He needs to be a lot more clinical for my liking, but long season ahead and I have every confidence he will be in our top performers come May.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Deino said:

These days players are no longer fixed to a steady position because football has moved beyond formations to be fair.

Modern coaches like Pep, Klopp and Tuchel don't really have fixed formations but rather formations that suits a philosophy. Mount at his core is a box to box midfield but his qualities makes him suitable to be an attacking midfielder. He's more of a Gerrard than he is a Lampard tbh

Klopp will never stick him in the final third, he will deploy his graft in the middle of the park like Winjaldum & Keita. He requires player to be decisive & instinctive in the final third. Under Pep I would liken him to a Bernardo Silva who you might tactically deploy in the final 3rd or as a cover, but would primarily play in the middle of the park.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mount is one of my favourite players in Chelsea but he has been rather average In the beginning of the season. The endless energy he has had is gone. I think he needs a good rest now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/09/2021 at 17:24, Deino said:

These days players are no longer fixed to a steady position because football has moved beyond formations to be fair.

Modern coaches like Pep, Klopp and Tuchel don't really have fixed formations but rather formations that suits a philosophy. Mount at his core is a box to box midfield but his qualities makes him suitable to be an attacking midfielder. He's more of a Gerrard than he is a Lampard tbh

??? 

We played 343 all season long last seaon, klopp has played 433 since I don't know when. Guardiola has played 433/442 depending on his squad. 

Actually football is becoming more structured this days because coaches want more control, it is so much easier to defend when you know where everyone is rather than just everyone doing their own thing. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/09/2021 at 16:05, ducavis said:

Klopp will never stick him in the final third, he will deploy his graft in the middle of the park like Winjaldum & Keita. He requires player to be decisive & instinctive in the final third. Under Pep I would liken him to a Bernardo Silva who you might tactically deploy in the final 3rd or as a cover, but would primarily play in the middle of the park.

In pool he will 100% play in midfield but only in pool. With Tuchel Dortmund, I can see Mount playing as no 10 behind lewa. The most important thing is who do you have in your team, what kind of team do you want to build etc2. 

Rather than position, it is better to understand what player good at, what he is bad at, which area he is comfortable playing. In the last two years, Mount has shown that he is comfortable playing almost everywhere and doing all kind of roles. 

Edited by Bob stark
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...

Last 2 games have shown how badly he is missed. His work rate, his runs with and without the ball and his ability to draw fouls is underestimated. Last 2 games we have looked lost for ideas offensively. His importance in the team is realised more when he is not playing. When he is out the team, we just look way too static. Mount is always looking to make things happen. Hope he is back ASAP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, STATS said:

Last 2 games have shown how badly he is missed. His work rate, his runs with and without the ball and his ability to draw fouls is underestimated. Last 2 games we have looked lost for ideas offensively. His importance in the team is realised more when he is not playing. When he is out the team, we just look way too static. Mount is always looking to make things happen. Hope he is back ASAP.

Agreed, though we missed Kante equally so in both games. As whoever that was that appeared in the city game, it was not the real Kante.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!