Amputechture

Man Utd vs Chelsea (PL) Sun 11th Aug 16:30 GMT

Someone in one of my work chats who watched all of the championship last season said watching Chelsea today was like watching Derby last season Great going forward but wide open at the back.

We can blame Zouma all we want but Frank got it wrong against United pace, that is suicidal to play that way on the first day sway to United.

Let's hope he learns from this quickly, we moan about Sarri not learning and adapting well let's see Lampard adapt to different in game situations.

2 minutes ago, cuppaT said:

Isn’t this the sexy football the people demanded?

Early days, we were missing 4-5 starters and they were practically at full strength. 

We will get much better, and I wouldn’t pay any attention to the media narrative.

13 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

You don't think it was clear error Coco ? Dear me ... LOL

Since when have you been allowed to put both arms round a player and wrestle him to the floor ?

The problem that i have with it is that it doesn't really look like Abraham has completely got the ball under control. I think if he has it under control and is shielding it, then yes its a clear foul, but i can see where he has waved play on if the ball is not fully under control. I know at the other end there is no way i would say that was a foul if it were Dave on Rashford for example.

The scoreline looks really bad but am very much impressed with what I saw from our team. We showed a lot of promise. I thought United will be a very strong team this season but if that's United at there best against us without RLC, Rudiger, Odoi and Kante starting or playing for us, then they are really gonna struggle this season.

8 minutes ago, coco said:

Its not me that thinks it wasnt a foul, i think Taylor made the wrong call, but VAR cant overrule him when he waved to Abraham to get up.

I wonder if that had been Man U V Liverpool and it was Salah that MaGuire had wrestled to the ground, would Taylor have waved play on. I think not.

You won't see a more blatant foul than that all season, and it completely changed the game.

1 minute ago, WhiteWall said:

The problem that i have with it is that it doesn't really look like Abraham has completely got the ball under control. I think if he has it under control and is shielding it, then yes its a clear foul, but i can see where he has waved play on if the ball is not fully under control. I know at the other end there is no way i would say that was a foul if it were Dave on Rashford for example.

How can he have the ball under full control when he's being dragged backwards away from it by a 6'4" gorilla who has both arms round him ? It's such a blatant foul I'm surprised there isn't more being said about it ...

It's the beginning of their attacking move ... definitely should be part of the VAR review ...  let's hope we get some going our way this season eh ... albeit the whole point of video replay is to enable the right decision ...

10 minutes ago, coco said:

Its not me that thinks it wasnt a foul, i think Taylor made the wrong call, but VAR cant overrule him when he waved to Abraham to get up.

Why not? I thought that if it's a clear and obvious error they can overrule any decision.

2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Why not? I thought that if it's a clear and obvious error they can overrule any decision.

Taylor was on the spot and made the call, no foul, VAR is not their to make judgement calls on every incident, or else we would be here all night. As far as i'm concerned i would of given the free kick, some others wouldn't, it wasnt an obvious one, we have to be honest here.

Just now, TheChelseaBlues said:

Maguire is going to have a good time if he's allowed to wrap players up 

Taylor allowed it, others wont, it has nothing to do with VAR if refs have different interpretations.

What I've learned from today's game.

1. Zouma belongs in Everton. Shocking performance. Hopefully Rudiger is close to being match fit, because this was a depressing display. Azpi was struggling too, continuing his so-so form from the last season. 

2. Pedro is finished at this level. He's reached the point where all this running around isn't going to make up for too many bad decisions especially those that result in us giving up possession in dangerous areas.

3. Christensen can be decent, as long as he's paired up with a dominant defender, he's good at complementing others, not taking charge. If Rudiger is back to his best, that may be our only hope of having an okay season.

4.Tammy lacks intelligence, strength and movement a striker needs in order to do well in the PL. I really don't know what to expect from the lad, but I doubt we can rely on him being the first choice for the duration of the season. Have a feeling he'll probably feature in a few more matches and then it'll be Giroud's and Michy's turn.

5. Mount is a baller. The kid has confidence in his own ability. Still raw but the talent is there.

6. Barkley is still a mystery. Has all the attributes but he needs to become the player everyone thought he's capable of being, and soon. Totally faded as the match went on, and that's not a good sign.

7. We missed Kante in the middle, especially when United were on the counter. 

8. We still have RLC, CHO, James and Willian to return. Pulisic will find his way and the youngsters will improve as the season progresses. There'll be nights like these, but in the first half there were some really good signs of things to come. This team has a bright future, just need time and patience.

4-0 isn’t a fair reflection of the game. 2-0 would of been. The 3rd was the cliched your always vulnerable from a KO after a goal, 4th a wicked deflection. Saw enough today to see potential  promise but not blinkered enough to see that the striker position is gonna be challenging- simply put the team currently lack experienced & efficient goal scoring options. Ross & MM didn’t really gel, MM didn’t look out of place though. Rudiger is going to improve the back 4 once he’s up & running. Other key players returning from sick list will only improve the performances in time  

More of the same on Weds most likely so no point in treating results like a normal season cus it ain’t one.  So let’s have a little patience .....

Edited by General

Feels really bad knowing we played Kovacic and Jorg in a defensive mid position and they couldn't deal with Utd's imho hugely weak midfield. Naive play all over the shop.

Mount and Emerson were good.

No way that was a 4-0 game, They we're hopeless until we gave them that pen.

12 minutes ago, General said:

4-0 isn’t a fair reflection of the game. 2-0 would of been. The 3rd was the cliched your always vulnerable from a KO after a goal, 4th a wicked deflection. Saw enough today to see potential  promise but not blinkered enough to see that the striker position is gonna be challenging- simply put the team currently lack experienced & efficient goal scoring options. Ross & MM didn’t really gel, MM didn’t look out of place though. Rudiger is going to improve the back 4 once he’s up & running. Other key players returning from sick list will only improve the performances in time  

More of the same on Weds most likely so no point in treating results like a normal season cus it ain’t one.  So let’s have a little patience .....

I feel the opposite, I think 4-0 was a fair reflection. It looked like a 4-0 game to me because of how both teams were set up in the 2nd half. We had a lot of the ball, but we know full well that is not what wins you games, we have won many times over the years without having the ball. The game today reminded me of how we always used to get the best of Wenger's Arsenal, we sucked up the pressure and beat them on the counter. United did to us what we used to do to many teams not so long ago.

Some positives going forward, better than the endless passing going nowhere last season. But defensively incredibly naive and poor. You simply can't play with both fullbacks forward and no sitting midfielder, or every counter attack will have them in on your 2 centre backs. Same issue he had at Derby and it seems he hasn't learned from it yet. Hopefully he will soon. Rudiger and Kante back will help, but if we leave ourselves so open, teams will punish us time and time again.

Losing isn't fun, that's right, but let's not forget that this was the first game of the season, against tough opponent at Old Trafford. 

Lampard as a coach need experience, the pace United had in their attack should've put an alert to us, but I'm okay with that, everyone learn from their mistakes.

Kepa - 5, can't really blame him for the goals, maybe at Martial's goal he could react better. Anyways he tried to head up our boys.

Azpilicueta - 6, first half he was pretty good, we could feel him in our attack. Second half went different, but still he did his work, could have done better on Martial's goal.

Zouma - 4, he is different defender since his injury, I really want him to return to his best, but until now it doesn't look good. Poor performance.

Christensen - 4, same as Zouma, they both need more connection, more experience to play together. It wasn't his day.

Emerson - 7, our best player. Could be fantastic if he was scoring at least one, but I've enjoyed by his performance.

Kovacic - 4, different from the pre-season. Disappointed with his performance.

Jorginho - 4, same as Kovacic. I think he tried to do his best, but he was poor. We couldn't control our midfield against United's.

Pedro - 4, to compare him with Martial or Rashford, you could see the difference. He's already done, not for this level and isn't our future. He had some good moves, but overall poor.

Mount - 5, pretty good in the first half. Second half he focused more on defending. He has the talent and I think Frank should stick with him. Give him the minutes.

Barkley - 5, few errors, lost possession barerly. But I think he was positive for us, when he had the freedom, he was creative. Anyways, his place is in the central, not on the wing in my opinion.

Abraham - 5, if he was scoring that goal the game could go differently. Anyways, I think he had a positive impact, he tried and still need experience. Give him the time.

Head up everyone, first game! We can say how we are poor and how everyone is good, we should believe to make the unbelievable and run strong. Soon RLC, CHO, Rudiger, Willian will return, Mount and Abraham will taste more of PL and we can test all of them. 

I'm proud of our team today and of our coach, we still have a long season to go and let's hope for better! 

COME ON CHELS!!!!!

Feels really bad knowing we played Kovacic and Jorg in a defensive mid position and they couldn't deal with Utd's imho hugely weak midfield. Naive play all over the shop.
Mount and Emerson were good.
No way that was a 4-0 game, They we're hopeless until we gave them that pen.
If it wasn't for Kova and Jorginho the lost probably would have been greater this narrative against these two player's is just boring now. They excuted what the managers game plan was and it didn't work because Lampard set us up to be easy to counter against, that's not Jorginho or Kova fault manager should see and change tactics

This is probably the weakest Chelsea team that I can remember (Fan since 1996). 

We won't be in the CL next year, that much is obvious. We can use this year's CL run as experience for the youngsters, as I HIGHLY DOUBT we will be able to make it next year. 

My prediction, we will be 8th position at season's end.  

We will buy average to good players to rebuild, gone are the days of a dominant Chelsea Team. 

15 minutes ago, IliyaKrostin said:

Losing isn't fun, that's right, but let's not forget that this was the first game of the season, against tough opponent at Old Trafford. 

Lampard as a coach need experience, the pace United had in their attack should've put an alert to us, but I'm okay with that, everyone learn from their mistakes.

Kepa - 5, can't really blame him for the goals, maybe at Martial's goal he could react better. Anyways he tried to head up our boys.

Azpilicueta - 6, first half he was pretty good, we could feel him in our attack. Second half went different, but still he did his work, could have done better on Martial's goal.

Zouma - 4, he is different defender since his injury, I really want him to return to his best, but until now it doesn't look good. Poor performance.

Christensen - 4, same as Zouma, they both need more connection, more experience to play together. It wasn't his day.

Emerson - 7, our best player. Could be fantastic if he was scoring at least one, but I've enjoyed by his performance.

Kovacic - 4, different from the pre-season. Disappointed with his performance.

Jorginho - 4, same as Kovacic. I think he tried to do his best, but he was poor. We couldn't control our midfield against United's.

Pedro - 4, to compare him with Martial or Rashford, you could see the difference. He's already done, not for this level and isn't our future. He had some good moves, but overall poor.

Mount - 5, pretty good in the first half. Second half he focused more on defending. He has the talent and I think Frank should stick with him. Give him the minutes.

Barkley - 5, few errors, lost possession barerly. But I think he was positive for us, when he had the freedom, he was creative. Anyways, his place is in the central, not on the wing in my opinion.

Abraham - 5, if he was scoring that goal the game could go differently. Anyways, I think he had a positive impact, he tried and still need experience. Give him the time.

Head up everyone, first game! We can say how we are poor and how everyone is good, we should believe to make the unbelievable and run strong. Soon RLC, CHO, Rudiger, Willian will return, Mount and Abraham will taste more of PL and we can test all of them. 

I'm proud of our team today and of our coach, we still have a long season to go and let's hope for better! 

COME ON CHELS!!!!!

What were you watching? Mount was excellent and kova and Jorginho were playing good football together they were running the midfield hence all the possession 

4 minutes ago, WalterWhiteCFC said:

What were you watching? Mount was excellent and kova and Jorginho were playing good football together they were running the midfield hence all the possession 

Might agree with you in the first half, but in the second half Kovacic and Jorginho were nowhere near running the midfield.