Amputechture

Man Utd vs Chelsea (PL) Sun 11th Aug 16:30 GMT

Sounds stupid but i'm actually happy with how we played. Dominated the game from the off and should've been 2 up before Utd's penalty. IMO we win that game if Zouma doesn't play. 

Going forward James replaces Azpi, Rudi replaces Zouma, RLC replaces Barkley and CHO replaces Mount. Kante starts from the get go in place of Kovacic. That's half of our starting 11 improved without any changes. 

Patience.

8 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Sounds stupid but i'm actually happy with how we played. Dominated the game from the off and should've been 2 up before Utd's penalty. IMO we win that game if Zouma doesn't play. 

Going forward James replaces Azpi, Rudi replaces Zouma, RLC replaces Barkley and CHO replaces Mount. Kante starts from the get go in place of Kovacic. That's half of our starting 11 improved without any changes. 

Patience.

Yeah agree. Even my united mate admitted that way were the better team before the penalty and actually thinks our squad has potential. 

We played well, especially first half, but we were always vulnerable in transition. They got the ball and bang, they were swarming all over us. We had absolutely nothing shielding the defence. It was a problem the entire pre-season and hopefully this is a wake up call for Frank. Away from home, we were way too open. It was easy for them to attack us. Right from the off.

Performances, well our CBs are a concern. Rudiger walks into this team but one of the other three has to step up. Kante obviously walks back in too, for one of Jorginho or Kova. I feel Frank made a mistake with Barkley. He excelled at number 10 in the pre-season, our best player by far, he should have started there today, with Mount on the bench. I'm very surprised Mount got a start, though he looked confident. 

We're going to have to be patient. I really feel Callum will be the key player this season as he will give us an attacking edge. He obviously needs to sign that contract.

The likes of Tammy, our CBs, Mason, Reece James when he comes in, Callum, Pulisic, we're all going to have to be very patient. We're on the start of a journey and it will take time but I'm fully signed up to the journey and I hope you all are too. We lack a commanding CB without Rudiger, we lack a top class striker but Tammy may grow into one, and we lack a midfield enforcer though I think Ethan will provide that next season.

On another day the game could have gone differently but the scoreline may have done us a favour. I think it might focus everybody's minds. This is going to be a hard season and we mustn't be under any illusions. Our manager is a rookie, with only one year under his belt in the Championship. The same applies to his staff. The same applies to a few players, including Tammy and Mason today. Let's be realistic. Let's temper all our expectations. Let's embrace the journey we're on. Most importantly, have faith.

Mourinho? I can't stand him. Think he took pleasure in watching us lose. He certainly has no loyalty towards Chelsea and he's going to delight in trying to apply as much pressure on us as possible. Frank is right to play the youth. Jose resents that because he's not a nurturing manager, Frank must learn to cut off all the noise. I've got a feeling most of it will be coming from Jose's mouth.

Appointing Frank Lampard and playing all these kids is never going to be about the short-term. That's something Jose Mourinho will never understand.

Onwards and upwards. Come on Chelsea.

9 minutes ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

Yeah agree. Even my united mate admitted that way were the better team before the penalty and actually thinks our squad has potential. 

Thats them just giving you some petty support to make you feel better, kind of like the small talk you make the morning after with the lass who made the bad decision to come home with you last night. 

She feels guilty and sad, you feel happy for the shag, but dont wan't to sound like a gloating a-hole. 

37 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Patience.

Agree. And think about a years time when we'll have a stack of cash to strengthen the team. If we can attract a proven, top quality number 9, get Pulisic and CHO firing, things could get very exciting next season.

Have to agree with those saying we actually played OK, generally. This is clearly a team built for potential rather than immediate success, which admittedly isn't something we're used to, so being patient will be key. I was actually fairly excited during those first 15, and think the clumsy penalty definitely knocked us a bit. It's all a learning curve, for Frank and a lot of these players. Doesn't help it was a fairly tough first game too, hardly easing them in! United have one of the worst squads in the top 6, but they're pretty settled and have the likes of Martial, Pogba, Rashford etc. and we were missing a few key players. Plus, Ole has been in longer than Frank and they're a little further down the road in their squad development.

It's certainly a painful one to take, but we've dished them out ourselves in the past, everything comes round in football, both the good times and the bad. Hopefully this is a 'promising' time rather than an all out bad one, though. It still stings to get slapped 4-0 like that, and it was definitely undeserved, but let's just hope it was a big lesson for all, and we can refine our formation, our starting line up and our tactics as things go on and certain players are available again.

Well, I will give this a go.

Obviously we started on the front foot and played well the first 18 minutes or so. Lots of energy and positive play. We moved the ball quickly and effectively. 

Even after the pen, thought we played well the first half. Disappointed we were down 1-0.

I felt Barkley had some solid play in the first half, with a few poor plays/passes mixed in. Zouma obviously struggled the entire game and cannot be an answer to our defensive openings.

Just my thoughts, but we really dropped in effort when Pulisic and Giroud entered the game. Really thought Pulisic struggled through out his 35+ minutes.

Giroud looked incredibly slow, more so than last year. Almost Higuain-esque.

The first 60 minutes showed some promise, especially considering no Willian, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, Rudiger, etc.

The other Big Six clubs will counter us to no end. Have to have Kante healthy and paired with Kovacic in my opinion. Rudiger’s return will strengthen the middle as well.

Hard to be upbeat after a 4-0 loss, but there are positives. This team is a 4th to 8th place type team. Continued improvement and healthy players will go a long way.

Come on you Chelsea!!

2 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Patience.

Agree but I’d keep mount he looks mint 

I think now that my feelings are less hurt pragmatically we have to say we are a naive squad with a naive young coach and it showed today we were a better team that played right into the hands of a better prepared tactically team.

Overloading full backs looks great on the attack but not without cover it’s suicide as we saw.

Beed to work on the balance and transition when losing the ball, kante and Rudi will solve this hopefully, Frank needs to get on the phone to a few of his mentors and work out a better plan of execution, was the same at derby, same in preseason so he isn’t adapting the coin needs to drop.

I think the makings of something special are there will take patience, perseverance and a bit more tactical cunning from the boss. 

Bottom line is that we largely played well but got humped harder than I did in a dubious dream I had the details of which I really shouldn't go into!

I cant be arsed dissecting the entire game but a few points are...

Zouma had a mare and confirmed that he is comfortably third choice once Rudiger is back. Arguably 4th choice if you consider that we also have the option of Azpilicueta in the centre.

Mount clearly looks like a player who will have no problem stepping up to be a regular in the Premier league.

Pedro still loves to run around a lot but that eyes wide shut disease when he passes the call is as attractive as my arse in a thong.

And, surely as we already knew, we are as toothless as Trump's claims that men called Juan, Luis and Miguel will build a border wall.

26 minutes ago, loz said:

Bottom line is that we largely played well but got humped harder than I did in a dubious dream I had the details of which I really shouldn't go into!

I cant be arsed dissecting the entire game but a few points are...

Zouma had a mare and confirmed that he is comfortably third choice once Rudiger is back. Arguably 4th choice if you consider that we also have the option of Azpilicueta in the centre.

Mount clearly looks like a player who will have no problem stepping up to be a regular in the Premier league.

Pedro still loves to run around a lot but that eyes wide shut disease when he passes the call is as attractive as my arse in a thong.

And, surely as we already knew, we are as toothless as Trump's claims that men called Juan, Luis and Miguel will build a border wall.

Please do go on with this. You've peaked my curiosity. 

3 hours ago, Hazard STAY said:

This is probably the weakest Chelsea team that I can remember (Fan since 1996). 

We won't be in the CL next year, that much is obvious. We can use this year's CL run as experience for the youngsters, as I HIGHLY DOUBT we will be able to make it next year. 

My prediction, we will be 8th position at season's end.  

We will buy average to good players to rebuild, gone are the days of a dominant Chelsea Team. 

As they say. "Thats the spirit"

4-0 is harsh, but in the end, people will look back on this and see that United smashed us. Oh well.

Need to do better.

The result doesn't reflect on how well we played. With just a bit of luck we could have had a 0:2 by 20 minutes into the game basically. Man Utd have a bang average manager that just got lucky that's all.

Agree with pretty much all DB's sentiments - an undeserved scoreline but with a team this new and young, there's going to be a few like this, and i'm not looking forward to the Super Cup. Once Rudiger and Kante are back we should be a lot more solid defensively though - exhibit A being Kante's incredible last ditch tackle to prevent Rashford's hattrick.

Interesting question for me is how the first choice midfield looks at full-strength, if we assume Pulisic/Willian/CHO/Pedro take the two wide positions and Kante is locked in for one of the deeper roles. There's a three-way fight for that #10 role between Barkley, Mount and RLC, and then a two-way between Kovacic and Jorginho for the other deep role (which RLC could also potentially take). I'm not sure yet who deserves those spots, but Barkley and Jorginho are probably in the lead right now.

As DB stole most of my thoughts on the game, i'll instead offer some unsolicited player rankings:

Kepa: 7/10 - Couldn't do anything about any of the four goals: penalty, tap-in, one-on-one, deflected shot. Distribution was decent and made a few tidy saves, one of the few calming influences at the back.

Dave: 4/10 - At fault for Martial's goal although a tough situation against a substantially bigger attacker. Given he doesn't offer a lot going forward he needs to be at his dominant peak defensively, and i'm a little concerned he has lost a step of pace and is no longer quite at it. Also questionable positioning/communication for the third goal. Few strikeforces will have as much pace as Martial-Rashford though, so better days ahead.

Christensen: 5/10 - More composed on the ball than he was at times last season, but lost Rashford for the third. Otherwise made a few key tackles and blocks - I think he's a step down from Luiz but is now comfortably our best CB partner for Rudiger.

Zouma: 2/10 - Shocking first half, although not really responsible for the second-half goals. I think the pace really troubled him, and that he'll be a more effective CB against more physical, less quick strikeforces. I still believe in him long-term as a serviceable squad player, but don't think he'll ever be comfortable enough on the ball to be a nailed on starter.

Emerson: 6/10 - The best defender today, got unlucky with the deflection on the last goal, but perhaps could have done more in the build-up to the second. Solid striker of the ball and far more handy going forward than Dave, which is going to mean a lot of our attacking play this season runs down his flank. Unlucky to hit the bar.

Jorginho: 6/10 - For all the talk last season of needing to play a 4-3-3 with Kante more advanced to fit in Jorginho, he actually looked more comfortable next to Kovacic, which was fairly amusing. With the inexperience around him he seemed to take a leadership role in the middle of the park, and think he's going to be key for us this year as a playmaker - his role will be very different once Kante is next to him I imagine.

Kovacic: 5/10 - Typical decent at everything while not standing out for anything in particular performance, think he'll find starting roles hard to come by once RLC and Kante are fully fit, which makes the big fee we paid for him appear like it was exclusively down to the transfer ban.

Barkley: 7/10 - Thought he was our most dangerous player and not sure why Frank brought him off rather than Mount or Pedro (or why he got shunted to the wing). Like Jorginho, I think our fate this season is going to fall in large part on his shoulders. I think he's got the physical and technical tools needed to be our starting attacking mid, just needs to pick up the confidence.

Mount: 6/10 - Very surprised to see him start, but he looked very comfortable. Faded once we went behind, I think he'll be better suited to coming off the bench this season while he finds his feet, but we can also feel comfortable about starting him following this performance. Also potentially our best long-distance threat.

Pedro: 4/10 - Think he was our least effective attacking player although because of his effort on both ends, he'll always at least offer a 4/10. Made a couple of wrong decisions when he could have played in Tammy, and think his role is under peril once CHO returns.

Tammy: 5/10 - Decent performance and unlucky to hit the post, he's not a top striker yet but on today's performance he has enough in his bag to start a lot of games this season at least. I still think we'll need to spend big on a striker next summer, and that Tammy will slot into a backup role going forward. Questionable whether he's already better than Giroud - against defences which sit deep I think Giroud's physicality and passing will make him more valuable.

Subs: Kante 7/10, we missed him so dearly and he stopped a near-certain goal with an incredible recovery tackle; Pulisic/Giroud 5/10 - Unfortunate they both came into the game while the defence self-imploded and game suddenly became lost.

Frank: 6/10 - Tactically he appeared to get it right, before being undone by personal error and some unlucky finishing. Substitutions were positive. At Derby he was very attack-minded, but like Sarri and others before him, he may need to start treating these tougher games a bit more pragmatically in-future. I think he would have learned a lot about his personnel today, and I hope the club will be patient with him.

Colour me impressed. We get tanked at United and there are ONLY 18 pages on this thread?

For most previous managers it would be nearer 48 lol.

Firstly got to get it out there lmao! We lost 4-0 to one of the worst United teams in recent memory. Our players at the back were hilarious (to call them defenders would be an insult to actual defenders).

Also hilarious was that we looked good most of the game and have legitimate reasons to feel hard done by:

1. Wood work twice.

2. Braindead challange on the pen.

3. Clear foul for goal 2.

4. Clear head contact by game laws should stop play. Even United players waved for it.

Ah well, none of us expected us to win the league right?

27 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Colour me impressed. We get tanked at United and there are ONLY 18 pages on this thread?

For most previous managers it would be nearer 48 lol.

Firstly got to get it out there lmao! We lost 4-0 to one of the worst United teams in recent memory. Our players at the back were hilarious (to call them defenders would be an insult to actual defenders).

10 minutes ago, Hazard STAY said:

That might be the worst United team in recent memory, but our team is currently top 10 and below level without Kante in the team. 

I don't see how is their team "worst in recent memory" after they kept spending money on new players and actually have a pretty solid team on paper. It's a much stronger squad compared to the last few years easy.

12 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

I don't see how is their team "worst in recent memory" after they kept spending money on new players and actually have a pretty solid team on paper. It's a much stronger squad compared to the last few years easy.

They will get stuffed by City and Liverpool. Probably spurs too. Their midfield is awful.

1 minute ago, axman2526 said:

They will get stuffed by City and Liverpool. Probably spurs too. Their midfield is awful.

We can beat them as well if you ask me. But their team of today looks better to me in comparison to the past few years, maybe it's just me.

We won't be in the CL next year, that much is obvious. We can use this year's CL run as experience for the youngsters, as I HIGHLY DOUBT we will be able to make it next year. 

We will buy average to good players to rebuild, gone are the days of a dominant Chelsea Team. 
I also thought we will end up in either 6th or 7th position this season, but that team I watched yesterday without the likes of Rudiger, Willian, CHO and RLC showed a lot of promise that I think finishing 3rd or 4th is a huge possibility when these players gel. The team will only struggle if we have to continue playing Zouma in that CB. I will rather play Zapacosta as a full back and pair Azpilicueta with Christensen in the CB position than play Zouma.

The scoreline was really harsh. 4 goals from 4 situations. We didn't manage to score from any of our 5-6 chances. We knew our CB pairing is not optimal and we lack of finishers. Both were on show today. If Tammy, Emerson and Barkley bury their chances we run away with the game. It wasn't too far from happening.

8 hours ago, Hazard STAY said:

8th? Who exactly are going to overhaul us?

Wolves with Europa distractions?

Everton who finished 18 points behind us and lost their two best players?

Leicester who finished 20 points behind us and lost their most influential player bar Vardy?